Recent January sales

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I think they should have waited another week or so to do these sales lol. Most of us are still broke from the holidays. Had it been next week or the one after I would have gladly bought some gems. Still trying to recover from the financial black hole that is christmas though :-O

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

They had to do it now to keep the gem prices high so people would buy gems for real moneyz.
My guess is the meeting went something like this:‘The price for 100 gems dropped below 2gold,and we have reports of some players actually wanting to trade some gold for gems’-‘OMG :O quickly!We must think of another gem sink fast!’

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Dyno.9467

Dyno.9467

I bought myself the pirate costume for 350 gems, bargain with 50% off

“And now, to destroy you”

Asura – Desolation

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I’m sure Evon Gnashblade can do better, he’s just warming up. The next swing with the Greatsword will cut reaaaaallly deep!

The Pirate Costume is a repeat iirc.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Elarii.2756

Elarii.2756

I love the pirate costume but I prefer to spend my time playing the game, not staying in town just to wear a costume… now if I could wear it all the time, I’d be on it in a flash!

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

They’re probably hoping to siphon off gems from the people who received gem cards for the holidays.

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

I feel sleazy just watching them do this. >.<

I mean, think about the timing. Everyone I talked to before and during the Wintersday event agreed that if they were going to run a sale they’d do it during the event, either over RL Christmas or for the last couple days of Wintersday. So when the end of the event came around with no sale a whole bunch of us who’d been holding off hoping for a sale decided they weren’t going to run one and went ahead and bought the stuff we’d been hoping to get at a slightly better price. I understand why they wouldn’t advertize it, since if people know there’s going to be a sale they’ll hold off spending gems, but to then wait until after many of us were going to expect a sale if there was going to be one leads me to believe they were counting on us to give up hope of a sale and spend our gems before the sale, presumably in some deluded notion we’d double dip and buy more gems.

So now instead of being semi-happy with my purchase I feel like I’ve been had (look I know that since you can’t advertize a sale there will always be someone who gets the short end of that ugly stick and unknowingly spends money just before the sale, but lets say you went to your favorite store on black Friday, found out the weren’t running a black Friday sale and decided to buy the stuff you were interested in, and then found out they had decided to have a “Cyber Monday” sale instead of a black Friday sale. You’d be rather put out.)

Anet, thank you for running sales like this, I appreciate the chance to get gem store items at discounted prices I really do, I don’t have a lot of money to spend on gems so I like them to go as far as possible (and I’m really OCD about cost efficiency). In the future however please reconsider how you time these sales, this is leaving a really bad taste in my mouth.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Why on earth didn’t you guys ask for Gem Cards from Best Buy for Christmas

BTW: Americans are spoiled with the before Christmas Sales. In the UK, we always just had January Sales.

Cheers.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

@ ScribeTheMad: If you look at past history, I believe there haven’t been any gem store sales for this game during an event, so I’m not sure why you expected there to be one associated with Wintersday. Events have new items added to the gem store, not discounts on existing items.

In addition, ArenaNet announced this sale (via the launcher) a day or two before the event actually ended.

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

ScribeTheMad.7614

Okay I see the sale I was thinking of previously wasn’t part of another event but the black Friday sale. But there really isn’t a “past history” to look at as the game is only a few months old, and I don’t expect every event/sale to function the same. So I, and many others, weren’t basing our expectations off of previous stuff at all.

But if we were to look at past history and consider the fact that they had a black Friday sale (a time when many places have sales) it is not unreasonable to believe that if they were going to have a sale around the end of year holidays that it will also correspond to when sales usually happen (i.e. before/around Christmas) and not after the new year.
I’m not saying I’m owed anything or entitled to anything (and I don’t mean to imply your saying I am either), that’d be silly. I’m just saying it would have made far more sense for the sale to occur earlier than this if they were going to have one (and that I suspect that was timed otherwise deliberately), which basically means I out-logic’d myself into spending gems too soon. But I know I’m not the only person who concluded that they weren’t going to run a sale; I mean, I saved these gems for weeks for a sale I was dead certain they would have, only to conclude they were not in-fact going to have a sale.

And as for the announcement about the sale, it didn’t show up in my launcher until they patched out the Wintersday stuff last night. If it’d been there a couple days ago I wouldn’t have spent my gems yet

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

I saw no mention of the sale in the launcher until the patch on Jan. 3rd. I received a gem card for Christmas, specifically did NOT spend any gems (despite desperately wanting to) until New Year’s in case they had a sale, and now this.

I’m waiting to see what the next two days hold. So far nothing on sale is anything I purchased, but when I first heard about it I was sorely tempted to petition for a gem refund. At the very least it would be a nice gesture if they reimbursed the difference for anyone who’s made a purchase in the past week for any of the items on sale.

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

They’re going to put character slots on sale, I just hope it’s more than 30% on sale.

How do I know?

If you go https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/3-day-new-years-sale-in-the-gem-store-new-items-each-day/ , at the bottom it says:

for these great sales deals and more!

Either way, I managed to snag 1600 gems at ~28g for it, so I’m content with whatever they put up. I’m just hoping to get 2 character slots and something else.

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

ScribeTheMad.7614

I had 1400, enough for a char slot and bank tab, was hoping to squeeze a slot and 2 tabs out of it if both dropped far enough. ah well, maybe they’ll have fine transmute stones on sale again, I calculated wrong on black friday (forgot to account for at least one set that I would only need 4 for, since helmet and shoulders aren’t something I’d transmute) and I need to pick up a couple.

Oh, and forgot to mention, in gw1 they had char slots and bank tabs on sale over Wintersday last year (and I think previous years), that was where my original hope for them to be on sale in gw2, and my expectation for the timing came from, but like i said I out-logic’d myself, sadly. Ah well, c’est la vie.

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: aline rp.4836

aline rp.4836

Anyone else having problem with the delivery of items bought during the sale? I bought a BL salvage kit yesterday, but received no mail with the item. And my box is not full, it says 6/10, so that can’t be the reason. The gems were taken though, and it shows in the Recent Purchases window. I want what I bought!!

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Cmon…. give me a discount for some box-o-funs!

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Dyno.9467

Dyno.9467

Got myself another character slot, I cant see them ever being cheaper than 600 gems so I think that was worth getting.

“And now, to destroy you”

Asura – Desolation

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

They’re probably hoping to siphon off gems from the people who received gem cards for the holidays.

Totally forgot about this because nowhere around here sells the cards, good point. If they did sell the cards near me I’d prob buy a lot more gems cause can always scrounge up some loose change around the house lol. Yeah don’t get me wrong, the deals are pretty good this round, but just bad timing.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Recent January sales

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

They had to do it now to keep the gem prices high so people would buy gems for real moneyz.
My guess is the meeting went something like this:‘The price for 100 gems dropped below 2gold,and we have reports of some players actually wanting to trade some gold for gems’-‘OMG :O quickly!We must think of another gem sink fast!’

Seeing as they’ve admitted that gem/gold conversion rates aren’t purely supply and demand… I doubt they’re trying to do that.

It’s probably like someone said about Christmas gem card stuff.