Skill Point Price

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wolf Fivousix.4319

Wolf Fivousix.4319

Hey guys, I was wondering: Since Skill Points are used to legendaries (and Mystic Clover) and you can buy them for 35 Fractal Relics, how much do YOU think one Skill Point is worth in terms of gold? 20s? 50s? 1g?

// Dragonbrand
Wolf Fivousix – Elementalist
Black Wolf Trading Tool

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: morphemass.2850

morphemass.2850

Ahhh I knew they were for sale somewhere – I’d forgotten where though. Can they be traded via the TP?

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Worthless. Probably less than 1S.

When you consider the many level 80s who are not concerned with a legendary, they have a ton. It’s also relatively easy to get.

When you look at an item like the Mystic Coin, which is limited to once per day, and is used in many recipes ranging from 50 to 100 coins, it would be far lower in price.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

morphemass.2850

In answer to the question though, I’ve been looking at this based on the value of up-converting items via the mystic forge. The sad truth is that its as low as 10s for mystic weapons (on average) and even via the current highest value transformation, 40s.

Now personally I value a skill point a lot more than this, but if they are tradeable then personally (again) would pay no more than 30s.

(edited by morphemass.2850)

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wolf Fivousix.4319

Interesting thoughts… I would like to have some data to talk about the MF transformations of T5->T6 materials, but I don’t, so I realy can’t speak bout it =P.

Anyone has any light to throw here?

@morphemass
You can’t trade the [Dessa’s Experimental Journal] since it soulbound on pick up. (edit: or maybe accbound, not sure!)

// Dragonbrand
Black Wolf Trading Tool

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

I ‘sell’ mine by turning alpha golems into omega goelms (that requires skillpoints) and then giving the blueprint back.

I charge 1g per skillpoint, which I consider a fair price, seeing how long it takes to farm a level at 80.

But I think that it is probably easier to get skillpoints on a new character than on a 80, so some may find 1g alot.

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wolf Fivousix.4319

Tallis, that’s nice indeed… Unfornutatly I don’t think my server (Dragonbrand) would have people willing to pay for the improved golem, we barely see golems in WvW around here =P. But that’s a great price!

// Dragonbrand
Black Wolf Trading Tool

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Time is money. About how long does it take you to earn that skill point?

I usually level up once in like 1-1.5 hours (through dungeon runs). So I look at 10 skillpoints as a 10 hour investment. If that makes any sense to you.

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: arabeth.2361

arabeth.2361

Some time ago this question was asked and the going rate at the time was about 6 silver. That was calculated using a few mystic forge recipes that people used that required skill points and were generally profitable.

I don’t think it will ever really get much higher than this. If you’ve beat 6 silver / point, consider yourself lucky. As soon as someone else finds out about your trick, it will plummet.

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wolf Fivousix.4319

@Ursan, yea it makes sense… But still, Skill Points seems to have a use when you want to craft one item with Mystic Forge, but overall there’s no use to it, like a consumable in GW1. Or is there?

// Dragonbrand
Black Wolf Trading Tool

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ursan.7846

@Ursan, yea it makes sense… But still, Skill Points seems to have a use when you want to craft one item with Mystic Forge, but overall there’s no use to it, like a consumable in GW1. Or is there?

Hoh, you have no idea what you can do with skill points….

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Eldritch_Scroll

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_weapons

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Forge

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

Skill points are next to worthless.

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ursan.7846

Skill points are next to worthless.

That’s a false statement. You should look into the links I provided to the above poster.

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

morphemass.2850

I wrote a bit of code recently to work this out and the truth is the value varies quite a bit. This morning I could make 40s per skill point. This evening that’s down to 25s per skill point. That assumes buying everything off the TP using a buy order then selling everything via a sell order.

I’m going to put this into something web-based so that anyone can look at the info.

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Spifnar.4712

Spifnar.4712

Thx for the links. I’ll have to go through it to see what is the most valuable to craft. I think I have enough skill points for 3 scrolls across my characters.

Actually I have the the same question for karma. I might as well turn some of the hundred thousand karma into gold. Is there a known “most-effiicient” method of turning karma into gold? (ie, buying a specific rare from a vendor and either MF’ing it or just salvage for ecto)

I never plan to make a lengendary, so might as well get money from these things.

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

I wrote a bit of code recently to work this out and the truth is the value varies quite a bit. This morning I could make 40s per skill point. This evening that’s down to 25s per skill point. That assumes buying everything off the TP using a buy order then selling everything via a sell order.

I’m going to put this into something web-based so that anyone can look at the info.

For what unjustified reason you mark the spread between raw materials at buying and product at selling as the result of skill points? Most products have a spread between raw at buying and product at selling prices, skill points have nothing to do with it. Skill points are next to worthless.

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wolf Fivousix.4319

@Ursan all of those are ‘one item with Mystic Forge’. What I made not clear, aparently, is that other than producing some kind of weapon to sell or making upgraded materials/clover leaf (or upgrading siege stuff, but that’s a very particular case, imo) there are no use for Skill Points for something like it was in GW1, a consumable, as far as I know, offcourse.

@morphemass, Don’t you think that this method can lead to an irrelevance in the value due to the diference between the buying/selling order than just the SP itself?

This is what I don’t get: why would someone buy something from the Black Lion that he can craft himself using skill points + materials/precursors/whatever which he can also buy in the Black Lion. If people are doing this is because they have a use for their own SP, so they probably have a ‘value’ in gold for them. I’m starting to think that Ursan has a point there, when he says that people have more gold than skill points o.O (which is definitly not my case XD), so they’re just willing to pay more… AND here’s the point: How much would they be willing to pay for other’s skill point.

// Dragonbrand
Black Wolf Trading Tool

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

There are ways to exchange skillpoints into gold, best I found was to get around 50s for a skillpoint. Just look at recipes, at the materials it requires to make, and then look at the selling price. Converting cores into lodestones is usually profitable at around 15s per skillpoint. Ofcourse these prices fluctuate depending on TP prices.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

morphemass.2850

For what unjustified reason you mark the spread between raw materials at buying and product at selling as the result of skill points? Most products have a spread between raw at buying and product at selling prices, skill points have nothing to do with it. Skill points are next to worthless.

Current best (near guaranteed return) value of skill points as of writing is :

— Powerful Venom Sac —-—————————————————-
COST : 1g 09s 65c (91s 77c)
AVG RESULT VALUE: 1g 17s 60c (90s 12c)
AVG MAX PROFIT : 21s 96c
AVG PROFIT SP : 43s 92c
—————————————————————————————————

I’ve done this up-conversion in the past when I have a batch of skill points – buying at the lowest price and selling at the current highest is almost always viable. One can only predict an average return because the yield is between 5 and 12 and I probably calculate return on the low side since I use 6 as an average (the actual spread of returns seems to favor a low yield although the avg should be 8 )

So basically 100 skill points could be converted into 30-40 gold – that’s a LONG way short of being “worthless”.

EDIT: I see your point that it would make more sense as of writing to buy the Powerful Venom Sacs via a buy order and resell them due to the spread but this isn’t always the case – if you were to look at lodestones, quite often the spread between low and high is a couple of silvers for the lodestone. It could be argued though that the actual “value” should factor in the difference between the purchase price of the target conversion at he “buy” price and that of the source, in which case the value of a skill point is far lower that I’ve illustrated, an argument that I would not reject, although it should be noted that for many items buy orders are often unfulfilled or can take a significant amount of time to be filled.

(edited by morphemass.2850)

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

morphemass.2850

@morphemass, Don’t you think that this method can lead to an irrelevance in the value due to the diference between the buying/selling order than just the SP itself?

At the end of the day the question for me is “How do I create value from this resource?”. The value of the skill point (again to me) is merely a factor in the calculation. That value varies and if they were actually tradeable, I would expect the market to reflect that…

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Many people here seem to forget that you can get skill points from the world exploration, not just by grinding.

If skill points were worth 1g each at one point, then it would be exploited to the point that someone would keep creating/deleting a new character after collecting those first few easily attainable skill points in the early zones.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Flyfunner.2093

Flyfunner.2093

How do I exactly go around converting t5 to t6 mats and so on? I have about 62 skillpoints staring at me from my warrior and I’m pretty strapped for cash.

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wolf Fivousix.4319

@Vol, that already happens, you should talk more with people around the game xD

@Flyfunner, give a look at this: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Forge and scroll down to [Fine Crafting Material Promotion] portion of the text.

@morphemass, I see your point now…. So you believe that Lodestone Promotion is the best way to make cash from the skill points? Even with the Bottle of Elonian Wine price? I was looking at the Charged Lodestone price, 2 Charged Cores (2,4g)+Elonian Wine = 2,65g. If we sell CL at 3,15g (current lower price) we’ll have a 2,67g income (after taxes), 2s profit. That happens with all Lodestone/Cores.

Did you used T5→T6 Material Promotion for you calculus?

// Dragonbrand
Black Wolf Trading Tool

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

I usually level up once in like 1-1.5 hours (through dungeon runs). So I look at 10 skillpoints as a 10 hour investment. If that makes any sense to you.

I kind of disagree with this. It would be true if you were doing things solely for those skill points, but that’s not usually the case. Skill points are a bonus on top of whatever it is you’re already doing.

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

morphemass.2850

@morphemass, I see your point now…. So you believe that Lodestone Promotion is the best way to make cash from the skill points? Even with the Bottle of Elonian Wine price? I was looking at the Charged Lodestone price, 2 Charged Cores (2,4g)+Elonian Wine = 2,65g. If we sell CL at 3,15g (current lower price) we’ll have a 2,67g income (after taxes), 2s profit. That happens with all Lodestone/Cores.

Did you used T5->T6 Material Promotion for you calculus?

Conversion of any mat is highly variable in terms of its return, there’s never any one item which is consistently better than another. I’ve yet to see an instance of anything less than T6/Lodestones providing a higher return though although I would expect mystic weapons to eventually catch up.

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ursan.7846

I kind of disagree with this. It would be true if you were doing things solely for those skill points, but that’s not usually the case. Skill points are a bonus on top of whatever it is you’re already doing.

Mm. I believe you’re looking at a perspective of opportunity cost. Which there is none because, yes, you are doing other things, not solely farming for skill points.

But still, skill points take time to accrue. If I have 10 skill points, I don’t look at it as a “man, I coulda spent 10 hours doing something else.” But more like “In the past 10 hours doing random stuff, I got 10 skill points!”

…If that makes sense at all.

Skill Point Price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: raxx.8914

raxx.8914

I ‘sell’ mine by turning alpha golems into omega goelms (that requires skillpoints) and then giving the blueprint back.

I charge 1g per skillpoint, which I consider a fair price, seeing how long it takes to farm a level at 80.

But I think that it is probably easier to get skillpoints on a new character than on a 80, so some may find 1g alot.

What do you mean giving the blueprint back? How much does the blueprint sell for?