Skins / Transmutation Stones More options?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nordi.8723

Nordi.8723

I believe the answer to my question as stated as a solid “no” at some point. However if there is anything I have learned about MMO’s and design decisions, everything is subject to change.

If Arenanet allowed you to transmute light to heavy armor or vice versa for all the various skins and armor types. Would you? Would you pay money to be able too?

If you could have the alternative to this being skins. Would you pay money to have an armor skin that was say a leather trench coat on a heavy armor type warrior simply for the look?

Do you think any of the above suggestions are unreasonable? I would like to hear your thoughts and see just how much feedback we can show ArenaNet about this topic.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Minkey.2071

Minkey.2071

For some reason, I thought that this was originally planned. In interviews I had heard, it was said that a cloth wearer could choose the looks of heavy armour if they wished. I may be mistaken about this, but it was one aspect that truly interested me.

It can be difficult to get a set of armour that you really like on certain classes. If skinning of other armour classes were available, I would certainly make use of this feature, even if it cost me a bit more.

I enjoy this game tremendously, and such a little thing would make it even better.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Phaedra.2308

Phaedra.2308

This would be really nice to have. Even if they didn’t want to go all the way with that, they could allow you to transmute armour into town clothes that aren’t restricted by armour type.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kestal.4160

Kestal.4160

Honestly, this is a good idea for cosmetic purposes. If it were needed, I’d pay a small gem fee to fuse cloth armour to medium armour simply so Quinn could wear some neat designs.

To me, it makes no sense whatsoever that a character who uses medium or heavy armour is completely baffled by and unable to wear cloth. It is a bit silly.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Flyfunner.2093

Flyfunner.2093

I don’t think they should. Otherwise how would I tell a gaurdian/warrior from an ele? Sure they can add names saying that you’re an ele or something, but I don’t like that clutter. Also, the customization already implemented is INSANE

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Daemaro.2135

Daemaro.2135

I understand in a lot of games they don’t allow it because it’s important to be able to differentiate a profession based on their armor look. For example if you’re in pvp and you see a silhouette of someone in what looks like a robe you immediately know to expect spells and to get up close in PvP.

That is absolutely not the case though in guild wars and even some of the light armor wearing classes you don’t want to rush right next to without evaluating the situation first.

I can’t imagine any benefit of not allowing us to transmute items across the armor type boundary. I would love the options it would open up as far as crafting a really nice set look for my character.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Merg.5361

Merg.5361

I’d love to be able to wear other armor types, yes. Ideally, I’d like to be able to transmute armor into whatever look I want.. even if, for example, I had to buy “special” transmutation stones from the BL market with gems. I would be fine with that. I would also be fine with the ability to straight up wear any other type of armor, stats and all. The armor restrictions just don’t really make much sense to me, and never did.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Darkfae.8623

Darkfae.8623

While I would enjoy being able to cross-transmute armour, I’d be content with just being able to transmute armour to town clothes – I really like that idea, as there are a lot of town clothes I’d like to mix with armour for certain looks.

I can understand the PvP concerns with cross-transmuting armour, however they already have an fix for that, and it’s used in sPvP – just have a PvP specific armour that comes up an WvWvW. Cus really, in PvE…why would you care about what class someone is that you’re just passing?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nordi.8723

Nordi.8723

While I would enjoy being able to cross-transmute armour, I’d be content with just being able to transmute armour to town clothes – I really like that idea, as there are a lot of town clothes I’d like to mix with armour for certain looks.

I can understand the PvP concerns with cross-transmuting armour, however they already have an fix for that, and it’s used in sPvP – just have a PvP specific armour that comes up an WvWvW. Cus really, in PvE…why would you care about what class someone is that you’re just passing?

True though I can’t say I pay attention to what armor someone is wearing in WvWvW. Reason why is they are all just a giant clustered mass of color. The only thing I really see is the particle affects from spells they are tossing my way. Which in Guild Wars 2 is easily recognizable even from a distance (assuming they load in due to mass zerg numbers…)

I don’t think it matters anymore for pvp when it comes to armor for the above reason I have mentioned. In the heat of battle your not standing around to look at what he is wearing. Your far to busy trying to nock them out or get the heck back to your keep.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: pixelsheen.6187

pixelsheen.6187

I would very much like this option, even if it were just for town clothes. I love the customization already offered but I don’t see why (either lore wise or aesthetically) one wouldn’t be able to have a character that can wear multiple types of armor. As far as WvW goes, honestly, if you have time to evaluate what someone is wearing I’m impressed, I haven’t had a second to consider that kind of thing in the matches I’ve been in…

I think having a separate kind of transmutation stone for this would be a neat idea, though I wouldn’t be averse to paying for it in gems/gold (whichever).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mutiny.4180

Mutiny.4180

Try mixing and matching light, heavy, and medium armor items in the preview window at a PvP Locker. The result is often very… bizarre. Textures break and a lot of things clip like crazy. I don’t think they’ll ever offer us this option until they fix what we already have available to us. There’s a reason you don’t see NPCs mixing armor classes.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

I never understood why the developers vision of how we should look is more important than how we want to look.

(edited by illgot.1056)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sleepless.1906

Sleepless.1906

I just got the profane set a couple of days ago and extremely support more options being available, especially skimpy outfits for more than just cloth ;P

there are so many options for cloth wearers but so few for others, particularly leather

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tregarde.6031

Tregarde.6031

Honestly, I’m fine with keeping armour restricted to certain professions. I can not think of a single reason why my Mesmer or Elementalist would be wearing plate armour. And allowing heavy armour professions to wear lighter armours would be unfair.

What I would like is more town clothes. I could even see town “armour” for people who want to be shiny while strutting around a city.

I also wouldn’t mind if Fine Transmutation Stones were a little easier to obtain.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Benaveil.2609

Benaveil.2609

I see both sides of the argument, as much as I love the idea of being able to transmute looks between the regular class armors in game, I can see how that can be a graphical and coding nightmare. The distinction is there for a reason and pretty sure they have established it because it is easier for the developers, overall. There are people who really don’t care how their character looks, and perhaps breaking the current setup will drive certain players up the wall.

However, as to the ‘town clothing’ idea, now that I can see as very plausible thing. A way to strip the stats of any armor and turn it into a town only skin would be nice. I see an overall need for more armor and town clothing skins. But I understand the game has just launched and I do hope the developers/designers are working on new aspects to add to the game. I am quite excited to see what they have in store for their player base in terms of new designs and such. This thread gets my stamp of approval!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

It would be completely unbelievable that a Mesmer would wear plate while summoning purple copies of themselves all the while twirling around a giant Greatsword between their hands…

Or a warrior with a cloth shirt on swinging around a greatsword heavier than themselves like it’s a 5 pound weight…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

I am against having Clothies wear Heavy and vice versa. I don’t disagree that we NEED more variance in the looks as Medium got an extremely short end of the stick on variety.

I also would love to see Profession specific armor. As it brings together and identity that some would truly love to their character.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mutiny.4180

Mutiny.4180

They actually had available the town clothes you see NPCs wearing at some point in the past. They removed them without any reason, presumably so they can offer them on the gem store. Except they haven’t. I hope they will. New options would be great, too, but I’d love to have access to what’s already there at least. And more serious things than wacky boxing gloves and aviators.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Usagi.4835

Usagi.4835

Idk much about coding or anything, but surely it would be easier to just leave it as it is and make new armour that, for instance, looks like heavy armour but is actually light armour.

I don’t really see why mesmers or elementalists shouldn’t be able to wear heavy armour or anything like that. And it’s not like all guardians/warriors are going to be wearing skirts. That’s a bit of an exaggeration. Personally, I think seeing a mesmer in heavy plated armour would look really cool! ^^

Commander Chocolate Teapot | Prettier than you | Forum damsel in distress

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: lcpdragonslayer.7895

lcpdragonslayer.7895

I’d have really liked for my necro to be able to wear the trenchcoats that are the typical look of medium armour but I had settled for transmuting to dungeon and cultural armour since this wasn’t possible. While I think it’s a nice option, it does make things needlessly difficult for ANet to code.

And plus I think that scholar classes with heavy armour might unbalance things a little since they’re meant to be ‘squishier’.