So much for the bag/bank slot sale!!!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

Think of it this way. The government can print as much money as they want, that doesn’t mean your bank account has access to that money. The currency exchange does not have access to gem creation. It has a limited stock that players add and subtract from.

This complicates the system alot. It makes no sense at all, to be honest, when you think about it.

A. Do I take gems away from the Stock when I buy gems for gold? One would think so, that’s how exchanges work.

This would explain why the price in gold goes up when a new item or a ‘discount’ for a store items comes, because people buy gems at that moment. But…

B. Do I take gems away from the Stock when I buy gems for dollars? One would think not, because The currency exchange does not have access to gem creation. It has a limited stock that players add and subtract from.

If A is true and B is not true, Anet keeps track of where my gems come from… that can’t be right, can it?

Cause if they do keep track… Let’s call the gems that players have Gold Gems (gems players bought with gold) and Dollar Gems (gems players bought with dollars).

C. Do I add gems to the Stock when I sell Gold Gems back for gold? Again, one would think so, that’s how exchanges work.

D. Do I add gems to the Stock when I sell Dollar Gems for gold?
Again, one would think so, that’s how exchanges work.
But saying The currency exchange does not have access to gem creation. It has a limited stock that players add and subtract from. seems to suggest otherwise…

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Tallis.5607

So anet do a sale to help people and you still whinge, grow up………….Anet dont bother with anymore sales its to much hassle just charge full price

People complain because the sale made prices higher: before the sale, a bank slot costed less gold than after the sale necause the price of gems went up.

This sale was only a sale for people that already had gems.

And if you look at the skyrocketed prices of the gems, you see that this was only a minority: alot of people had to buy gems to get the extra slots, expecting to pay less.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

And if you look at the skyrocketed prices of the gems, you see that this was only a minority: alot of people had to buy gems to get the extra slots, expecting to pay less.

Just wanted to point out, this isn’t necessary true, because purchases of the bank slot with A. people who already had gems and B. people who bought it with cash doesn’t have any affect on the Exchange. So while a lot of people bought Gems with Gold, it is very possible that a large, even larger, number bought the bags with previous gems/money.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Tallis.5607

reasonable people have no reason not to believe ANet when they say “We don’t do anything to directly affect gem exchange costs.”

Euh… call me unreasonable then, cause in my mind ANet certainly affects these costs when ANet adds a ‘discount’ to the store, does it not?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Tallis.5607

Just wanted to point out, this isn’t necessary true, because purchases of the bank slot with A. people who already had gems and B. people who bought it with cash doesn’t have any affect on the Exchange. So while a lot of people bought Gems with Gold, it is very possible that a large, even larger, number bought the bags with previous gems/money.

True, thanks for pointing that out.

The correct wording would be ‘enough people to make the gem price skyrocket so that the next people that buy gems complain’

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ursan.7846

Euh… call me unreasonable then, cause in my mind ANet certainly affects these costs when ANet adds a ‘discount’ to the store, does it not?

Anet isn’t saying they don’t affect the costs. They’re saying they don’t DIRECTLY affect costs. There’s a nuanced difference.

DIRECTLY affecting means they’re actually changing the exchange rates. Which they obviously aren’t.

But they are indirectly influencing costs by introducing things players like. I.E bank slots, in this case. No, they aren’t directly changing the exchange but is influencing the playerbase, which in turn leads to the change in the exchange.

Anet isn’t like “Oh, lets make gems 20% more expensive!” No, the playerbase decided that they really like bank slots, so you see this effect. Hence this is why Anet doesn’t DIRECTLY controlling the exchange rates. But they certainly influence it indirectly. Look at the sale of the Quaggan Backpack/Rose Bouquet. You don’t see a spike as big as the one that the bank slot sale has caused. The playerbase has spoken on what they really want (what they really really want.)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Dyno.9467

Dyno.9467

People on here whinge for no reason, its crazy, I love the sales I dont need a warning when there coming, thats the fun part

“And now, to destroy you”

Asura – Desolation

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Dyno.9467

Dyno.9467

So anet do a sale to help people and you still whinge, grow up………….Anet dont bother with anymore sales its to much hassle just charge full price

People complain because the sale made prices higher: before the sale, a bank slot costed less gold than after the sale necause the price of gems went up.

So you buy gems when there cheap, when nothing is happening, honestly its not complicated use your brain.

“And now, to destroy you”

Asura – Desolation

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

Just spend gold on gems when exchange is off peak time as in not holiday/discount period. Then you will have a stash of gems at the ready for when a discount happens or you want to get items for holidays. That or you can of course spend some real money to support Anet

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

What if I spend all my gold, and come out empty handed?

No one can tell you the value of your free time (and this the coin you’ve amassed), but to me blowing up to 300g on a blaze of glory do-or-die attempt is going to make a better war story even if you lose it ALL, than grinding out another 300g and tamely pushing a ‘make offer’ button to collect the fruits of someone else’s daring. I’d make it a party. I’d make all my friends come watch. I’d friken DOMINATE LA chat for a half an hour announcing the results as it played out. And I’d be a happy, happy player no matter the outcome.

Then again I’m Phoenix Clan (in Legendof the Five Rings). We have a simple game-play ethic:

Its not whether you win or lose – Its the size of the crater you make on your way out!

:)

Nice speech. I officially like you

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Or for people who buy gems with money … you are forgetting the only option that’s relevant.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Yaos.4528

Yaos.4528

Am I the only person that buys gems when the price is low to hold on to them when the price goes up? I like investing my gold into gems, since it let’s me buy stuff out of the gem store without worrying about price spikes.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: etrigan.4213

etrigan.4213

The reason the bank slot sale was not useful:

Creating a guild and buying the influence for 6gold nets you a 50slot guild bank.

Nox – Fort Aspenwood
I AM BEST!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Am I the only person that buys gems when the price is low to hold on to them when the price goes up? I like investing my gold into gems, since it let’s me buy stuff out of the gem store without worrying about price spikes.

I do too. But I’m waiting for char expansion slot to go on sale :p I’m saving up for quip so i need 5 of those boxes. I bought 1k gems since at that time that was the price, but I knew they’ll lower the prices sooner, or if not, it’ll be the last thing I’ll buy for my legendary. lo and behold a few weeks ago they permanently went on a cheaper price I’m 680gem happy

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: iCryptik.1496

iCryptik.1496

The OP is one of many reasons why the devs don’t give us nice things.

Alshazzär
Tarnished Coast [TC]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

So, do you think this price hike going to be repeated when they dump out the patch on Tuesday?

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Depends if they put anything useful on sale.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Just spend gold on gems when exchange is off peak time as in not holiday/discount period. Then you will have a stash of gems at the ready for when a discount happens or you want to get items for holidays. That or you can of course spend some real money to support Anet

Exchange gold to gems during off peak times? Have you seen gold-to-gem price considerably drop at any stage? I sure haven’t. There was no off peak, there is no off peak, and there will be no off peak; and I’m betting the price will keep on going up because the gem pool is limited.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Unfortunately I’d already maxed out my bag/bank slots way back during Sep 2012, so this sale was missed on me. XD Was a bit tempted to exchange some of my gems for gold during the exchange rate spike though, but as the rate is still slowly climbing, I think I’ll wait until it reaches equilibrium.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Anyone complaining that slots became more expensive in gold needs a head-check.

The purpose of sales, from any retailer’s point of view, is to drive sales by reliance on the idea that increased volume of sales will overshadow the decreased amount of income per unit. In brick and mortar operations, there are often other factors that predicate sales, like an overabundance of stock, or a supplier of raw materials/good holding a sale of their own.

The sale, like every other sale in the gem store, is expressedly for the purpose of driving players to purchase gems.

The currency exchange was put in to the game to create parity, and to ensure that players who really wanted items from the gem store, but couldn’t afford to or simply didn’t want to buy the gems with real money had a method to do so. The system was set up to place said exchange rates based on supply and demand, and, to my understanding, left alone.

It’s no small wonder that the market spiked during sales or limited offers. These are the times when items in the gem store are most desired by players, and a large portion of those players will attempt to negate or shave off their RMT transactions by tossing in a few gold.

Expecting arenanet to account for the gold market in gem store pricing and sales makes no sense. The currency exchange actually loses potential money for Anet. Building in failsafes to prevent it from doing exactly what it is designed to do (track the relative value of gold/gem conversions and facilitate anonymous transfers from a global pool) would wreck the utility of the transfer market and wreck the financial viability of the gem store in one fell swoop.

People that expect to get all the things they want from the gem store without actually ever buying gems with their own money aren’t quite understanding how the gem store is intended to work.

It’s an optional RMT market for convenience and flair items, with an optional supplementary gold sink thrown in so that the guy who’s too broke to buy gems can afford a black lion kit, karma booster, or transmute every once in a while when he really needs one. It’s there to give those players an option to turn an RMT purchase they may not otherwise be able to afford in to a longer term gameplay goal.

It’s not a system that’s intended for you to get everything avaliable, or even everything useful on the market in any short amount of time by gold transfer. Expecting the system to be “gated” against spikes to be “more fair” to gold traders is missing the entire point. Gold traders are part of the system simply so that the system isn’t completely locked behind a paywall. Gold trading for gems is designed specifically to reflect supply and demand, and during sales it’s a sure indication that it’s working correctly.

TLDR: Gem store sales don’t consider the cost of gold/gem conversions, nor should they. The gem store is a RMT-First marketplace and is handled as such while the gold transfer option is a player driven market and, like the TP, is handled (or unhandled) as such.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Peregryn.6578

Peregryn.6578

I would like a slight clarification about bag and bank expansions .. I’m guessing that bag expansions are per character are bank slots or are they account?

example; I am a recently joined player and have 4 characters in development, do I have to buy 3 bag and 7 bank to max storage or 3×4 bag and 7×4 bank?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Charismatic Harm.9683

Charismatic Harm.9683

I would like a slight clarification about bag and bank expansions .. I’m guessing that bag expansions are per character are bank slots or are they account?

example; I am a recently joined player and have 4 characters in development, do I have to buy 3 bag and 7 bank to max storage or 3×4 bag and 7×4 bank?

Bag slots are per character….you can have up to 8 total

Bank tabs are per account….you can have up to 8 total

So….you can have a maximum of 8 Bank Tabs and a maximum of 8 * # of characters Bag Slots.

Guild: Member of Charter Vanguard [CV]
Logic will never win an argument on the forums…..only a sense of entitlement will.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Peregryn.6578

Peregryn.6578

Bag slots are per character….you can have up to 8 total

Bank tabs are per account….you can have up to 8 total

So….you can have a maximum of 8 Bank Tabs and a maximum of 8 * # of characters Bag Slots.

blinks I am not certain this addressed my question. I am aware that bank slots are account wide and bag slots are character. I was asking about the expansions, that are sold in BLTC. If I buy for instance a character slot it is applied to my account, if I buy a bank slot increase is it applied to the account or a consumable to allow THAT CHARACTER to use a second bank slot?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

I’m curious, assuming the argument that a 20% discount should apply to the gem exchange rate (I think people here have done a good job of explaining why the sale isn’t a sale on the exchange, so lets leave that be). What system do you use to create a moving 20% discount on exchange, keeping in mind that the supply of gems is not unlimited, and that the exchange does not fabricate gems?

I pay real money for gems, not all the time but most of it, and I hope you continue to keep the economy stable so new and “old” players can enjoy the game. Whiners who enjoy BLTC exclusive items and new content but have never bought gems with real money obviously need more incentive to do so. Why not make another class of gem that is not convertible from gold – something that can only be purchased with real money?

In fact, I am surprised Arenanet does not keep track of real money gem purchases and adjust the exchange rate on an individual account basis. I hate freeloaders who expect continued maintenance and content development for free, then complain about gem exchange rates because they want to purchase content without paying real money.

Seriously look into ways to increase real revenue without making the honest, responsible players pay for so many freeloaders. I have spent more than my share of real money to support you and think I deserve better than to be thought of as a chump who pays for 100 whiners to play for free.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: White Knight.3925

White Knight.3925

I just think it is kinda stupid that if I have been playing the game for a while and want to use my in-game rewards for some of the sales – especially if a market exists to turn my in-game rewards (gold) into gems – that I basically can’t take advantage of the sale. It’s like Anet is giving a discount to everyone EXCEPT the people who put a lot of time into the game. For someone who has played a lot and is on the verge of quitting (i.e. due to culling in wvw, tired of the gear grind, etc.), this could just be the last straw.

I’m just saying it would have been nice for Arenanet to freeze the exchange rate for a day or two so they don’t screw over their loyal player base who don’t want to have to sink more money into a game or can’t afford to.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

I just think it is kinda stupid that if I have been playing the game for a while and want to use my in-game rewards for some of the sales – especially if a market exists to turn my in-game rewards (gold) into gems – that I basically can’t take advantage of the sale. It’s like Anet is giving a discount to everyone EXCEPT the people who put a lot of time into the game. For someone who has played a lot and is on the verge of quitting (i.e. due to culling in wvw, tired of the gear grind, etc.), this could just be the last straw.

I’m just saying it would have been nice for Arenanet to freeze the exchange rate for a day or two so they don’t screw over their loyal player base who don’t want to have to sink more money into a game or can’t afford to.

The sale is meant to encourage people to buy gems. They aren’t screwing anyone over, any more than a store is “screwing over” a regular customer who can’t make the trip on the day of a sale. By exchanging gems, you’re already getting something that has a real-world monetary value for free. That’s a 100% discount.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

The sale is meant to encourage people to buy gems. They aren’t screwing anyone over, any more than a store is “screwing over” a regular customer who can’t make the trip on the day of a sale. By exchanging gems, you’re already getting something that has a real-world monetary value for free. That’s a 100% discount.

While there are people who have a strong sense of Entitlement, I’m glad they are a minority. I’m slowly getting used to the fact that these people will always complain that stuff isn’t free enough.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: cantankeroushedgehog.7980

cantankeroushedgehog.7980

Most of us wanted a game that provided the following -

No monthly subscription
No paying to win
Regular content updates

Now, in order to provide this a company, with employees who have families to feed, must make money.

If anyone thinks they have done something to earn the repugnant amount of entitlement this thread is positively dripping in, you haven’t.

You want to take full advantage of sales? Don’t want to spend your cash on Gems and support the people who spend all their time making and expanding the game you like to play? Exchange for your Gems while the rates are good and wait for a sale.

Discard your childish fantasies of getting things for free and graduate to adult-hood with the realization that you are NOT entitled to anything but basic human rights.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: hedition.7261

hedition.7261

Using real cash to buy gems are for people who has an income and lesser time for the game.
Using gold to convert to gems are for those willing to spend more time in the game farming gold.

If you want to use in game gold, spend more time observing the exchange rate and change when the rate is good. Not change when there is a sale going on.

Don’t blame every f-ing thing on Anet.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Purgerica CRO.7684

Purgerica CRO.7684

Most of us wanted a game that provided the following -

No monthly subscription
No paying to win
Regular content updates

Now, in order to provide this a company, with employees who have families to feed, must make money.

If anyone thinks they have done something to earn the repugnant amount of entitlement this thread is positively dripping in, you haven’t.

You want to take full advantage of sales? Don’t want to spend your cash on Gems and support the people who spend all their time making and expanding the game you like to play? Exchange for your Gems while the rates are good and wait for a sale.

Discard your childish fantasies of getting things for free and graduate to adult-hood with the realization that you are NOT entitled to anything but basic human rights.

I agree..

I dont know how can u guys cry about it? U want all free.. im sure u guys want them to lvl up ur char and get full armor set also so u can just run around and show urself how good u r

They made great game and its free to play. Once u buy it and u have no need for spending money but hey, they need to continue to work and develop further aspects of game.. They need to eat something, and pay bills.. I think its not so biggy to donate 10 $ now and than.. But now u got sale 20% which means u will have more gems for other things u want to buy or just change to gold if u like it so much..

Im sry, dont want to sound rude but dont be mad about everything and support Anet..

btw I miss those days when I could get 480 gems for 1 gold xD
Sry for my bad eng, not native..

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mysteries.3659

Mysteries.3659

I think it’s hilarious that the exchange has only inflated one-way: it costs more gold for gems, but the rate of selling gems for gold is the same as usual. Where’s the logic in this?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ursan.7846

I think it’s hilarious that the exchange has only inflated one-way: it costs more gold for gems, but the rate of selling gems for gold is the same as usual. Where’s the logic in this?

http://www.gw2spidy.com/gem

The data shows you’e wrong. Numbers don’t lie.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

There’s an artificial buffer built in, to prevent the Gem Exchange from being like real life Currency Exchanges. Meaning, you can’t just park your butt for 8 hours buying and selling for profit. Also, there’s more dangers with real time currency manipulation, as it’s much easier to do than manipulating market prices.

So if I exchanged 100 Gems for 2 Gold, I couldn’t just wait for a spike and exchange 2 Gold for 105 Gems. Then wait for drop and re-exchange 100 Gems for 2 Gold, and so on.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!