Something that has been bugging me

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Traveller.4653

Traveller.4653

People that put in an order and price it one copper over the store price. Even if i wanted to throw money away by selling it too them the game wont let me. The tp is littered with this crap whats the purpose?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

Players who run out of room in their bags/bank put things on the TP with no intention of it getting sold to free up room. They list it at the minimum price to minimize the listing fee.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Traveller.4653

no take a gander again. not talking about peeps that are using it for a bank i’m talking about people putting out an order for something. i see too many that place the ORDER 1 copper above the listing price. If anyone were to sell it too them they would LOSE money. I even tried it for the heck of it once on a cheap item. The TP would not allow me to sell it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

example: Leeks have a merchant price of 7c, you’re talking about people placing buy orders at 8c? yes, the person filling that order loses money compared to if they sold to a vendor. why do they do it? so they don’t have to consider the option of selling to a merchant, which saves them time. or their bag is full and in the middle of a dungeon. or they don’t know any better.
it sounds more like you’re asking: why do people place these orders to buy the things at 1c above merchant value? well, they don’t plan on selling it to the merchant. most things are usable, like leeks are used to craft stuff. others can be salvaged and the mats are worth more. or maybe speculation.
personally, I’ve bought like 10 stacks (2500) of superior sigils at 1c above the merchant value. if Anet updates the game to allow these to be forged into random sigils, then they will be worth maybe 40s each (a 1160% profit after TP tax = 787g profit) If they never do, I can always sell them to a merchant for a total loss of 25s. If I don’t need the gold in the meantime, it’s almost no risk and possible huge payout.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Traveller.4653

Number 1 if you sell it via tp you take a LOSS. whats the point? of course it makes sense to buy cheap but folks that sell at that price are throwing money away. makes no sense. I am new here about a month but have you tried to sell something 1 copper above the price lately? THE GAME WILL NOT ALLOW IT. so now were back to my original question. [maybe its a new change maybe you used to be able to sell at a loss and then it would make sense as a buyer to cheat someone but still dumb of the sellers]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

Traveller, its quite simple as others have said quite often if i’m out farming and my inventory gets full, I will run behind something and quickly dump things that I know are pretty worthless on tp. eg item that cost 7c , I’m not going to lose a hell of a lot listing it , around 1c for listing it , if I want to sell it later to a merchant instead of leaving it with the other 15246 listed (its never going to sell) I will pull it and sell to a merchant. This leaves space quickly for the rare item i just found.

With regards to not being able to sell 1c above the lowest seller. The merchants prices are changed regularly it is possible that the lowest sellers price is below the merchants updated price.

You don’t always make a loss , there are lots of items you can place orders for under 10c and sell quickly for over 2s

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

If there are a bunch of buy orders at the vendor+1c, maybe it won’t let you list at that price because that would just be selling to the highest buy order.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lucas of the Desert.2165

Lucas of the Desert.2165

example: Leeks have a merchant price of 7c, you’re talking about people placing buy orders at 8c? yes, the person filling that order loses money compared to if they sold to a vendor. why do they do it? so they don’t have to consider the option of selling to a merchant, which saves them time. or their bag is full and in the middle of a dungeon. or they don’t know any better.
it sounds more like you’re asking: why do people place these orders to buy the things at 1c above merchant value? well, they don’t plan on selling it to the merchant. most things are usable, like leeks are used to craft stuff. others can be salvaged and the mats are worth more. or maybe speculation.
personally, I’ve bought like 10 stacks (2500) of superior sigils at 1c above the merchant value. if Anet updates the game to allow these to be forged into random sigils, then they will be worth maybe 40s each (a 1160% profit after TP tax = 787g profit) If they never do, I can always sell them to a merchant for a total loss of 25s. If I don’t need the gold in the meantime, it’s almost no risk and possible huge payout.

Lol! Mystic that is brilliant O.o

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

It’s called Opportunity Costs. If I’m in the middle of farming, and I need to make room in my inventory, I have the following options:

1) Pop a temporary merchant to sell my items.
2) Quit farming, and WP to the nearest merchant NPC.
3) Sell the cheapy stuff on the TP, even at a loss. (note – you can sell on the TP anywhere on the map, even in the middle of WvWing).

So as you can see, I need to pick an option, and decide which one makes more sense. WPing costs money, and stops me from farming. Temporary merchants cost Gems. So if I can make some extra room in my inventory for the cost of losing a few Copper in profits, guess what I’ll do.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Morten.5387

Morten.5387

OP isn’t asking about people putting low sell orders. He’s asking about people putting low BUY orders, so this clearly has nothing to do with freeing up inventory space at a crucial moment. I also don’t know why people do this, as they’re clearly just losing the listing fee on an order that can never be fulfilled given the TP forced limit on vendor price. I don’t know why it allows it to be listed to begin with, but I guess it does delete some money from the economy anyway.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

So he’s talking about all the 1c buy orders for everything? I’m not so sure: “People that put in an order and price it one copper over the store price”.
Anyways, if he is: those are from before an update that made the minimum price of all items 1c above it’s merchant price. Anet just doesn’t think it necessary to remove those from the TP, even though they can never be filled.

I shall one day be hailed as either a genius or a fool!
I did the same with each of the rare back pieces (in case they one day made them salvageable for ecto). (I store what my alts and guilds can’t hold on the TP) strangely, the soldier spineguards are currently worth far above what I could of hoped, and I have no idea why. I made about 40g off those alone, which paid off the cost of buying all the others

(edited by Mystic.5934)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

So he’s talking about all the 1c buy orders for everything? I’m not so sure: “People that put in an order and price it one copper over the store price”.
Anyways, if he is: those are from before an update that made the minimum price of all items 1c above it’s merchant price. Anet just doesn’t think it necessary to remove those from the TP, even though they can never be filled.

I shall one day be hailed as either a genius or a fool!
I did the same with each of the rare back pieces (in case they one day made them salvageable for ecto). (I store what my alts and guilds can’t hold on the TP) strangely, the soldier spineguards are currently worth far above what I could of hoped, and I have no idea why. I made about 40g off those alone, which paid off the cost of buying all the others

I did the same thing

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

That’s a lot of posts about selling/dumping things to the TP, but I, too, would love to see them get rid of all of the buy orders that shouldn’t exist and are no longer valid.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lucas of the Desert.2165

Lucas of the Desert.2165

I guess soldiers is going up in price because people try to transmute the new bp skins to have actually useful stats lol.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

That’s a lot of posts about selling/dumping things to the TP, but I, too, would love to see them get rid of all of the buy orders that shouldn’t exist and are no longer valid.

I dont suppose they can just remove items you have listed without your permission, even if they are below the merchants new price.

I usually check all my buy orders once a week to see if they are still the highest buyer. If not i pull and reorder. It might be nice thought to get an alert to let you know that the price is no longer valid.