T3-4 nodes

T3-4 nodes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Marndeis.7815

Marndeis.7815

Due to the nature of the game that most players are either new (T1-2) zones or Level 80 (T4-6) zones, and the basic Supply/Demand of the Trading post, would it make sense that WvW maps to carry more T-3-4 nodes to help balance the Supply? I know that the Mists has a lot more mid level Nodes but it seems crazy that IRON can be 2-3x more expensive than Mithril.

T3-4 nodes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

most people are level 80 and the item they salvage become level80. So that’s probably the main reason why mithril is much cheaper.

T3-4 nodes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The OP is also correct that there are more people in Tier 1-2 zones (new toons) and in T5-6 zones (better XP/Karma and generally more chances at exotics, ecto-dropping rares). This is a perennial problem in MMOs as the population evolves: there’s not much reason to stay in T3-4 zones.

In theory, the high price of the mats should encourage farmers to focus on those zones. In practice, I suspect a large number of potential farmers go after rich veins and tree-clusters instead, since that will be more efficient.

People also seem to favor L80 event chains over L30-50 ones, which reduces the potential supply of mats from non-champ bags (e.g. medium icy, light supply, miner bags, etc).

However, I disagree with the proposed solution: people already have plenty of options for where to go to gather their own T3-4 mats.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

T3-4 nodes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Marndeis.7815

……

People also seem to favor L80 event chains over L30-50 ones, which reduces the potential supply of mats from non-champ bags (e.g. medium icy, light supply, miner bags, etc).

However, I disagree with the proposed solution: people already have plenty of options for where to go to gather their own T3-4 mats.

I guess I should explain my thoughts a little more. I am NOT a farmer, and WvW is one of the few non-high level PVE areas I bring my LvL 80 Chars. I mine nodes for daily when I’m running through the area and I sell things that I don’t need. By adding the limited supply nodes to areas where high level players play, could just by the nature of them being available increase the supply and help balance the economy.

T3-4 nodes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I guess I should explain my thoughts a little more. I am NOT a farmer, and WvW is one of the few non-high level PVE areas I bring my LvL 80 Chars. I mine nodes for daily when I’m running through the area and I sell things that I don’t need.

Right, I do the same.

By adding the limited supply nodes to areas where high level players play, could just by the nature of them being available increase the supply and help balance the economy.

Here’s where we differ: you see an unbalanced economy because T5 mats are cheaper than T3-4, whereas I think that’s an expected part of a mature MMO economy.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong in e.g. replacing mithril ore veins with iron ore veins, but I don’t think it’s necessary for the health of the economy. I’m ok getting less for mithril and more for iron. I even think it’s a good thing that new players will earn more coin from their unwanted items than I will from mine.

As long as I can buy stuff on the TP, I get to choose whether to farm or sell T5-6 to buy T3-4.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

T3-4 nodes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

The OP is also correct that there are more people in Tier 1-2 zones (new toons) and in T5-6 zones (better XP/Karma and generally more chances at exotics, ecto-dropping rares). This is a perennial problem in MMOs as the population evolves: there’s not much reason to stay in T3-4 zones.

In theory, the high price of the mats should encourage farmers to focus on those zones. In practice, I suspect a large number of potential farmers go after rich veins and tree-clusters instead, since that will be more efficient.

Every few days I use a rich node map and gather iron and platinum since theyre the most valuable mats. 1h15m gives me a stack of each and they sell for a total of about 9g, or I craft deldrimor steel ingots and sell those. It also helps me feel like my infinite gathering tools are worth their cost (but they’re really not and I’ll never recover the investment ;D)

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

T3-4 nodes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

It also helps me feel like my infinite gathering tools are worth their cost (but they’re really not and I’ll never recover the investment ;D)

I mean if you bought them solely for the reason to recover your investment then you messed up big. But I suspect you already knew that.

Added: Actually, you will make your money back long before infinite. Assuming you do make 9g per 1 hr faming, you practically will make your money back for 1 tool in 6 days. 800gem=59g.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

(edited by silvermember.8941)

T3-4 nodes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Added: Actually, you will make your money back long before infinite. Assuming you do make 9g per 1 hr faming, you practically will make your money back for 1 tool in 6 days. 800gem=59g.

I do believe you made the mistake everyone else does and assumes the “default” rate shown on the exchange is the gold → gem rate. It’s not. It’s the rate for the other direction. Currently gold→gem rate is sitting at an average of 10g for 100.

T3-4 nodes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Marndeis.7815

Here’s where we differ: you see an unbalanced economy because T5 mats are cheaper than T3-4, whereas I think that’s an expected part of a mature MMO economy.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong in e.g. replacing mithril ore veins with iron ore veins, but I don’t think it’s necessary for the health of the economy. I’m ok getting less for mithril and more for iron. I even think it’s a good thing that new players will earn more coin from their unwanted items than I will from mine.

As long as I can buy stuff on the TP, I get to choose whether to farm or sell T5-6 to buy T3-4.

I see where you’re coming from now… my thought was that because of the absorbent cost of IRON and Platinum CRAFTING is out of reach for the newer player. I know that when I was a new player I mined EVER node I could and I still didn’t have nearly enough to craft more than one discipline without having to spend my little cash as a young player on the TP.

So YES, those not interested in crafting at lower levels starting out new players are able to make more money off their mats than the high level zone players but those looking to craft are hurt more by the current economy.

Paradox it seems!

T3-4 nodes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I see where you’re coming from now… my thought was that because of the absorbent cost of IRON and Platinum CRAFTING is out of reach for the newer player. I know that when I was a new player I mined EVER node I could and I still didn’t have nearly enough to craft more than one discipline without having to spend my little cash as a young player on the TP.

So YES, those not interested in crafting at lower levels starting out new players are able to make more money off their mats than the high level zone players but those looking to craft are hurt more by the current economy.

Paradox it seems!

Low level players have an advantage though, over lvl 80ies because they can also salvage their dropped gear for low level mats.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

T3-4 nodes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

but it seems crazy that IRON can be 2-3x more expensive than Mithril.

Iron goes already down again, and the price was just pushed because of current event.
T3 wood is also nearly nothing worth anymore after we got ascended armor.

The thing is, that ANet pushes the need for these mats often with events to bring people back in these zones. If you put iron in T6 zones iron will fall maybe also to 50c and for the next event you will suddenly need silver in masses or something else.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

T3-4 nodes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

The thing is, that ANet pushes the need for these mats often with events to bring people back in these zones. If you put iron in T6 zones iron will fall maybe also to 50c and for the next event you will suddenly need silver in masses or something else.

quietly shovels more silver onto her hoard, waiting for Xunlai-Ingots

The problem with iron is that you need loads of it for just about everything…

Polka will never die

T3-4 nodes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

The problem with iron is that you need loads of it for just about everything…

The prices were however back down to under 1s already before the actual event has pushed them again and so not worth to harvest it anymore. And i think it will also go down again.
Even Gold Ore was long time more worth than iron in the time between ascended weapon and armor patch when i was harvesting mainly wood in Dredghaunt Cliffs.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.