TP buying and selling

TP buying and selling

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Joe.8142

Joe.8142

I am growing to get extremely annoyed with the TP and I will tell you why. Over/under cutting. I put my exotic weapon/armour in the TP for let’s say 2g, I leave it overnight expecting it to sell and in the morning I look at the listings for people selling the same item. This is what I see 1g 99s 99c then 1g 99s 98c then 1g 99s 97c. They have all undercut each other by 1 copper, of course they will do that I am not saying they shouldn’t (because of course I also do it) but I think it’s a little bit ridiculous. With the listing fee it makes selling everything a bit of a gamble, especially with very high priced items.

This all comes from people being able to see exact figures of what people are selling and what people are buying it for, then they can either put a buy offer in for 1c more or sell for 1c less.

I don’t know how everyone else feels about this but I find it quite annoying. Not annoyed at other players for doing it, everyone does it. But I’m annoyed that the system is so easily available.

This is my proposition. Remove the option to see exact figures and instead there should be a recommended price for the item, people can still put sell and buy offers in for however much they want but they cannot see exactly what the figures are. But how to get the recommended price? Simple, the recommended price should be the average amount that each of that item has gone through the TP at. So if 3 of the same items have gone through (not just offered) one at 50c, one at 51c and the last at 54c the recommended price listed at the TP for that item should be 52c (51.6).

I believe this would make things a lot less annoying and would possibly create an exciting area for investments, if graphs of the price/time of items were available.

Or is it just a stupid idea and the TP working fine?

TP buying and selling

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

youre selling at the wrong time -_- your supposed to sell when buy orders are happening faster than sell orders not the other way around, its simply you needing a little more experience with it dont blame the system

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

TP buying and selling

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: PMilkos.9103

PMilkos.9103

No, that is an absolutely terrible idea.

The whole point of a competitive market is that you’re able to see everyone else’s prices and offer the best deal to your customers. It’s how open markets have always worked everywhere ever. If you remove the ability to see the best deal, not only are you ruining the market, you’re also just plain wasting everyone’s gold on gambling whether that’s an apporopriate price to sell an item for or not, because average price means absolutely nothing.

Besides, if people undercut you, just wait – eventually the prices will go back up and you will probably get to sell your item without having to re-list it. Also, make sure your listings make sense – if your item is low-demand and/or the difference between order and selling prices is not significant, it’s more often than not better to just go for the risk-free automatic sale. Ie don’t list for 1.5g a legendary trident that someone has ordered for 1.3g.

(edited by PMilkos.9103)

TP buying and selling

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

No, that is an absolutely terrible idea.

The whole point of a competitive market is that you’re able to see everyone else’s prices and offer the best deal to your customers. It’s how open markets have always worked everywhere ever. If you remove the ability to see the best deal, not only are you ruining the market, you’re also just plain wasting everyone’s gold on gambling whether that’s an apporopriate price to sell an item for or not, because average price means absolutely nothing.

Besides, if people undercut you, just wait – eventually the prices will go back up and you will probably get to sell your item without having to re-list it. Also, make sure your listings make sense – if your item is low-demand and/or the difference between order and selling prices is not significant, it’s more often than not better to just go for the risk-free automatic sale.

^you need to listen to this guy xD

seriously though its not just about the prices, its about the direction of trades that is currently running, you cant just look at that and find out you have to analyse for a good week or two to get the pattern.

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

TP buying and selling

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

“They have all undercut each other by 1 copper, of course they will do that I am not saying they shouldn’t (because of course I also do it)”

End of thread right here.

Ask yourself why do you do it? Because you and everyone else in this game is impatient and wants their item to be sold first before other people.

There is nothing wrong with undercutting. kitten happens. I myself don’t bother listing stuff and would rather sell to the b/o as long as the difference is acceptable.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

TP buying and selling

in Black Lion Trading Co

Joe.8142

First off to ‘average price means absolutely nothing’ it does mean something, it is the average price. If demand increases or supply decreases the average price goes up. Just like it can go down. Averages are an amazing thing, people need to trust them more.

And it will not ruin the market, at all. The game Runescape uses a similar system and has, IMO the best trading market I have seen in any game (at least when I played it, not too sure about how it is now).

And once some graphs get set up people will be able to see the direction the trades are going and list their item accordingly.

(edited by Joe.8142)

TP buying and selling

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hayner Jetik.2186

Hayner Jetik.2186

You could try checking the suggested and reference prices as listed on GW2 Profit to find the optimal price to buy/sell items. You can also see several graphs showing the market evolution for each item.

To search the item(s) you need just click on the “Items” menu.

(edited by Hayner Jetik.2186)

TP buying and selling

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

how much did you undercut when you listed it?
clearly you did not list it at a fair price, otherwise the item’s price wouldn’t of gone down after you listed it. You listed it at a high price, then more people listed it at a slightly less-high price. Eventually it’ll get to where it’s an ok price for someone to actually buy it.
If you don’t want to be undercut, list it for a fair price next time. or sell to a buy order and give them a good deal.

TP buying and selling

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

Unless you want a quick sale , just leave it sit for a while and ignore the undercutting.

I have one regular item that i have listed at kitten I will buy 50 or so at a low price 15s and relist them almost straight way at kitten or there about, while there will be lower prices ones listed under me at 22s, However I know by the weekend my listed ones will have sold @ kitten , you just need to be patient and know your market

TP buying and selling

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Omnitek.3876

Omnitek.3876

Do you need the money ASAP?
Sell for the highest buy order. You will not get the best value for your item.

Do you want the best value for your item?
You will have to wait a little bit of time.

You can’t expect to get the best value instantly. That is all there is to it.

A L T S
Skritt Happens

TP buying and selling

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

There’s many factors behind when to sell.

Undercutting shifts the item faster, but with a little research you can find an “optimum” price that may take longer to shift but gets a slightly better price. If your item_ never_ shifts then it’s due to supply outstripping demand in which case you’re taking a gamble even trying to sell.

Your personal needs and trading strategy dictates whether you shoot for a fast sale, or a strong sale (Typically if you’re on a small budget you want to turn over a profit fast so you can reinvest it. If you’re already relatively wealthy, you can probably afford to let the stock sit and fetch a better price.)

All is fair in the world of trading, the problem isn’t with the system, but your strategy – but like all things, you’ll get better at that over time.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

TP buying and selling

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Curse Drew.8679

Curse Drew.8679

People who undercut by more than 1c, are bad, and lower items value quickly. Sure it’s easy to think i’ll lower mine 10% cheaper and sell it quicker, but the next person who is selling that item, sees your item is the lowest price. He probably isn’t going to look up the item and see that it’s marginally lower, no he will undercut your price by 1c. After a few more do the same they have created a new price ceiling in which all of them have to sell for the price to get back to original price.

If someone wants something, they will buy it. Lowering the price 10% may seem more enticing to someone, but really doesn’t make that big of a difference because it’s very likley you will be undercut before it sells. If you need the money quickly just do us all a favor and sell it to the highest buyer, i’m sure they will appreciate it.

(edited by Curse Drew.8679)

TP buying and selling

in Black Lion Trading Co

Joe.8142

Well I’ve now started to do some item flipping and I’m finding it quite profitable. Sometimes it can take a while to sell items and if it goes past a week unsold I will relist it. So don’t tell me to wait, I am waiting. I think if the prices were removed it would make flipping easier for the people who want to do it seriously because at the moment I get the feeling that everyone does it because it’s so easy.

I’m not complaining that people are undercutting, I’m just a bit annoyed that it’s so so easy to do with the current mechanic.

TP buying and selling

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

Well I’ve now started to do some item flipping and I’m finding it quite profitable. Sometimes it can take a while to sell items and if it goes past a week unsold I will relist it. So don’t tell me to wait, I am waiting. I think if the prices were removed it would make flipping easier for the people who want to do it seriously because at the moment I get the feeling that everyone does it because it’s so easy.

I’m not complaining that people are undercutting, I’m just a bit annoyed that it’s so so easy to do with the current mechanic.

Then make it work for you.

Look at the prices other have theirs listed for if there is

1 @ 22 s
1 @ 23s
3 @ 25s
68 @ 250 s ( i have to write that way or the stupid filter is putting “Kitten” in there?

List yours @ 245 s and go and buy the 4 in front of you

(edited by Lisa.6102)