TP should allow higher single purchasing?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mtman.5014

mtman.5014

HEY!

My name is Baerius, im a fellow guildwars 2 player like yourself.
As i have been mainly focusing on Trading this last couple months on GW2, i’ve encountered many problems. However, many problems have been patched and fixed, i still encounter a major problem in the Trading Post today.

I believe that Arena Net should develop a better system/algorithm that should allow a player to buy more than a stack (250) of a single item at a time. This would mean that people could buy for example 2000 pieces of a single item. This would allow for players to have more efficient trading systems resulting in a more profitable day of trading!

Cons could be such as a difficulty in outbidding players, but to my own experience, outbidding players is not always the problem.

Now that i have shared my ideas on a great improvement, i would like to know what the community of Guild Wars 2 believes is right!

Leave a comment about your opinion

Baerius out!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Let’s say you want to buy 2000 Powerful Bloods.

Price breakdown is as follows:
0-500 @ 32S
501-1000 @ 40S
1001-2000 @ 1G – 3G (these quantities have been sitting here since release)

As a result, you can imagine the problem of buying up everything in bulk. What if you suddenly enter a priced tier that you weren’t expecting? You’d be overpaying a ton.

Yes, there is a system in place right now that sometimes accounts for this, but then you would end up with the same problem as before. Having to buy stacks one at a time in order to get the proper price point.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

whereas currently, the first Dawn you buy is for 500g and the 13th is 1111g
it’s only a matter of scale. why would you buy more than you can afford/use. increasing this limit wouldn’t force you to always use it, just as you’re not forced to shell out 7509g for 13 Dawns if you don’t have to gold or only need one.
What this feature would do is make it so I don’t have to:
click on quantity.
enter ‘250’.
tab 3 times.
enter ‘70’.
click ‘Place Order’ three times in quick succession to utilize the lag.
repeat 6 more times because I’m trying to buy 5,000 Elder Wood Logs to craft with.
repeat for cloth, ore, leather.
then comes the fine crafting materials.
If this update were implemented, there wouldn’t be people complaining they bought 2500 Piles of Dust by mistake, just as there aren’t people currently complaining of buying 10 Dawns. But it would decrease the time it takes me just to place buy orders from an hour to 10 minutes.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Venthus.6137

Venthus.6137

Got my vote.

If there are concerns about accidentally over-buying and dramatically exiting a pricing tier (as in the example a few posts up), then just leave the buy-at-market capped at some value (like 250, how it is now) while the quantities for bids are uncapped, since you can control how much you’re paying per unit ahead of time.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

+1 — I think this is a nice change. I would use it when placing orders for 1000’s of logs (to flip of course, not to use). I find it annoying that I have to re-enter my buy price for each batch of 250 (the TP doesn’t remember my last buy price and puts in some minimum).

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mystic.5934

I’m just saying this only as pros and no cons, it’s a good idea. I doubt it’ll ever be completed, though. we’ve been asking for this for the last 10 months, and they haven’t made one TP change in all that time, much less one that is frequently asked for, so I have no faith this will ever be done.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

My terrible internet comnection makes me wait alloooot of time between buy orders… Usually i mash the order button if i want to place 1000+ orders :P if im a. Bit lucky it will place multiple orders _

+1 on fhis suggestion

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I can see this being a convenient feature but I am against it. I know its a pain always having to put in the price and quantity again if you want to buy thousands of the same item because I also spend alot of time on the TP and trade high quantities, sometimes to flip, sometimes to craft.

However, I also know that I earn alot more gold per day than my average guildie, it doesnt matter what pve-farm-fest Anet is bringing out these days.

This feature is only convenient for people that already have lots of gold and will enable them to raise their income even faster, me included.

Its as unneccessary as implementing apps to trade from mobile devices while not being logged in and wont benefit the main player base in the long run.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

If you place order with a maximum value of 250, then you can store the order in a database in a single byte. (2^8 = 256). So 250 may be a technical limitation to maximize resource usage.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I also guess that 250 is a data type size restriction. Plus there’s the point that ANet wants you to buy additional bag and bank slots.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

I don’t care about trading profit, but i tired to buy 20×250 stacks everytime i want to craft items. Everytime i must type “250” + desired price in 3 fields.

I also guess that 250 is a data type size restriction. Plus there’s the point that ANet wants you to buy additional bag and bank slots.

They can split input numbers into stacks using JavaScript or server side language. Easy to implement.

English is not my native language, sorry :<

(edited by ezd.6359)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jiminimokna.1270

Jiminimokna.1270

+1 to that, being able to buy and sell in quantities higher than 250 would save a lot of time.

Go Rin No Sho – Gandara EU
PvE, PvP, WvWvW
www.gorinnosho.com

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I can see this being a convenient feature but I am against it. I know its a pain always having to put in the price and quantity again if you want to buy thousands of the same item because I also spend alot of time on the TP and trade high quantities, sometimes to flip, sometimes to craft.

However, I also know that I earn alot more gold per day than my average guildie, it doesnt matter what pve-farm-fest Anet is bringing out these days.

This feature is only convenient for people that already have lots of gold and will enable them to raise their income even faster, me included.

Its as unneccessary as implementing apps to trade from mobile devices while not being logged in and wont benefit the main player base in the long run.

^This……there is no reason to buff the most effective non-regulated way to get rewards in the game.

Serenity now~Insanity later

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

There’s really no technical reason why they’re limiting the trading post to 250. Raising it should actually make it a little more efficient, since one request is better than hundreds.

At this current time, it’s possible to implement the ability to buy multiple stacks on the client side by breaking down the order into multiple chunks. It’s fairly easy to implement (don’t ask).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lazy.2389

Lazy.2389

Any possible technical issues aside, I have no idea why the current system has to erase all fields when you put through an order. By simply saving this data (even just until the TP tab is closed) it would limit a lot of frustration – especially as inputting the same digits repeatedly increases the probability of some very painfully expensive purchases.

I’d like to here an official response on this issue. I wouldn’t be surprised if this issue is more complicated than it seems.

Oh while we’re at it – sorry that this is completely off topic – I browse the forums often but rarely post – it’s so frustrating that logging in when I want to post takes me straight back to the main page disabling the back page haha.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mystic.5934

what would take up less space:
200 listings of 1 byte (1 byte has max 256, so 200 × 250 = buying 50,000 items)
or
1 listing of 2 bytes (2 bytes has max 65,535, so 1 × 50,000 = buying 50,000 items)

I’m betting that the first example (how it currently is) takes up far more than 100 times as much memory, due to it having to also save who you are, how much is it for, etc.
true, with the majority of listings people rarely buy more than 250 items. But I’d bet that the number of items where people do frequently buy more than 250 at a time is much more than 1% of the number of different items, probably closer to 10%.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Or just bring the power trader back we all miss him ;P

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

No way, we need fewer power traders flipping, making it a pain for people who actually want the item. If anything, reduce the limit.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

I’m just saying this only as pros and no cons, it’s a good idea. I doubt it’ll ever be completed, though. we’ve been asking for this for the last 10 months, and they haven’t made one TP change in all that time, much less one that is frequently asked for, so I have no faith this will ever be done.

This will mainly be used by TP players to quickly buy out a material to inflate prices. To me that’s a big negative.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lazy.2389

Lazy.2389

Limiting features because the convenience may also extend to another subsection of the community is silly. If people want to buy in bulk, a silly system does not prevent them, just slows them. The process will be carried out regardless of the system. As polished as everything else in the game is, this level clearly hasn’t been extended to the TP yet, but I’m sure it will be once more important issues have been addressed.

I invest now and then while playing the game just so I don’t risk having a wallet full of depreciating gold. I am not a powertrader but this would be a useful feature.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

No way, we need fewer power traders flipping, making it a pain for people who actually want the item. If anything, reduce the limit.

1. Reducing the limit will not affect power traders in the slightest. They can just spam buy orders.

2. There is nothing wrong with flippers, I like selling my cheap stuff instantly. If they can turn it around and make a profit that’s good for me, they will have money to buy my next cheap item.

3. Nobody is stopping you from buying any item you want and I don’t see why it would be a pain to place a buy order and wait if you want it cheaper.

I would love to be able to place a 1000+ buy order. When I go on a crafting spree I need lots of mats and 250 at a time just doesn’t cut it.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

1. I intended that the buy orders would be part of the limit.
2. Flipping morality is a whole other topic. I’ll just say I disagree that there’s nothing wrong with it.
3. They are stopping me from buying because my orders just get topped with huge stacks that will take weeks/months to come in. Same with for sale items. I’d love to make it so that you could only outbid/undercut if your stack size was smaller. It would cause some disadvantage to mass production, as there is none currently.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mika.9815

Mika.9815

Disagree. It sounds like you wish to get a buy order filled instead of buying directly, and having problems with that. If the buy and sell prices were close to each other, would you be satisfied buying from sell offer?

More flippers, bots, and a TP user interface with better usability would help you in getting the item you want at a lower price. Flippers provide liquidity to the market; they reduce the spread in items. Currently the spread in most GW2 items is high, not because of flippers, but because of a poor and time consuming TP user interface. The difficulty of managing orders is preventing the market from finding the fair value of items, resulting in wide spreads. Buyers cannot easily update their offer to beat demand from competitors, sellers cannot easily lower their price.

If it would be easier for both buyers and sellers to manage their orders, item price spreads would narrow down, and I assume you’d be happy to buy that item you want at a price that seems fair. Without a second thought towards flippers, which would still be operating behind the scenes with their lower margins.

As a real life example high frequency trading by algorithms accounts for half of all US equity trading volume. HFT’s are given preferential access to stock market servers and commission discounts, because they are market makers who provide liquidity and price discovery to the markets. The professionals are making it easier for the casuals to make a trade.

(edited by Mika.9815)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Anyone remember the power trader boost?

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.