The August 6th growth

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Fox.8957

Fox.8957

So, I don’t do a lot of trading, honestly, but I was doing some shopping and decided to buy my next bulk of mats for my legendary and I noticed almost ALL of the mats I currently need, crashed right before August 6th and then grew like crazy during the next week. Now that was update day, Crown pavilion I believe, but out of curiosity, what caused this to happen to soooo many mats?

During May, June, July it was pretty even, but man, August 6th, the TP jumped…

~Zoe Fox~ [Rare] : Continuing the tradition since 1070 AE {Sorrow’s Furnace}

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Two things. Speculation for T7 mats, and mass farming.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

Wouldn’t mass farming bring the price down since supply would be so high?

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Not all the time. You must factor in demand, which is something we really can’t just put a number on (you can’t just look at the Buy Orders). With more Supply of a desired item, that could draw more people to entering the market. These are people who had no intention of buying these items until recently. So an item may look like it increased 10 fold with the current farming, but the demand for the item increased 20 fold.

My initial response was meant that the farming might have cause a downward spike in price, but then speculators bumped the prices back up big time.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

could be people hoarding mats in speculation as well as opposed to selling them + regular amounts of people buying + more speculation = higher prices.

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Deadeye is likely the answer for why they rose after the crash. People made 500-2000g of pure gold in the course of 2 weeks. Silver and trash equipment from champ bags probably also contributed.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Which mats are we talking about? I would bet they don’t have a noticeable hump over the long term. Oh sure short term a few silver more, but nothing substantial.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

So, I don’t do a lot of trading, honestly, but I was doing some shopping and decided to buy my next bulk of mats for my legendary and I noticed almost ALL of the mats I currently need, crashed right before August 6th and then grew like crazy during the next week. Now that was update day, Crown pavilion I believe, but out of curiosity, what caused this to happen to soooo many mats?

That’s the work of inflation.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

No, that’s the work of players not out in the world anymore acquiring most mats but instead fight in the CP or QG.

Depress supply and prices will rise.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

No, that’s the work of players not out in the world anymore acquiring most mats but instead fight in the CP or QG.

Depress supply and prices will rise.

Well then how can you account for the 6s increase in a common commodity such as Ectoplasm? The +8s increase in Vicious Fangs?

Heck, look at precursor market all across. I’ve personally been following the Storm market and it rose by nearly 60g over the last few weeks.

Every single investment I hold has increased by several silver.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Because supply is only one side of the equation. Let’s look a Vicious Fangs.

Aug 5th 11pm
Sell Price – 17s52c
Supply – 6,300
Demand – 17,700

Aug 23rd 4:50pm
Sell Price – 25s90c
Supply – 4,700
Demand – 27,300

So the not only the Supply has gone down but the demand shot up. Gap between the two widens by nearly twice so price is up.

Ectos

Aug 5th 11pm
Price – 18s49c
Supply – 51,900
Demand – 84,200

Aug 26th 4:50pm
Price – 22s76c
Supply – 49,900
Demand – 107,500

So here supply is reasonably close only down 4% but demand is up over 27%. Gap widens by 78% so prices go up.

I don’t see anything other straight up supply and demand driving the prices here.

RIP City of Heroes

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Sell listings and buy listings does not necessarily equal supply and demand.

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Sell listings and buy listings does not necessarily equal supply and demand.

True enough but since we don’t see actual volume of what’s being traded it’s the best we have. Prices may be going up because players don’t mind paying more because they have more to spend. I harvested in the neighborhood of 500 ectos in the last 2 1/2 days and I have had no problem selling them at an ever increasing price, so I know that there’s a real demand for them.

RIP City of Heroes

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I think because of the insane amount of raw gold added into the economy due to the pavillion/champ drops more people were willing to spend money on such items that would otherwise ignore them. Thus the supply went down and demand rose. There’s many factors but I’m pretty sure this can be one of them.

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

You also have to consider that while there is insane farming, it doesn’t necessarily supply much of the mats you’re looking for (though it does supply some), in addition to the increased gold and demand.

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Because supply is only one side of the equation. Let’s look a Vicious Fangs.

Aug 5th 11pm
Sell Price – 17s52c
Supply – 6,300
Demand – 17,700

Aug 23rd 4:50pm
Sell Price – 25s90c
Supply – 4,700
Demand – 27,300

So the not only the Supply has gone down but the demand shot up. Gap between the two widens by nearly twice so price is up.

Ectos

Aug 5th 11pm
Price – 18s49c
Supply – 51,900
Demand – 84,200

Aug 26th 4:50pm
Price – 22s76c
Supply – 49,900
Demand – 107,500

So here supply is reasonably close only down 4% but demand is up over 27%. Gap widens by 78% so prices go up.

I don’t see anything other straight up supply and demand driving the prices here.

Of course, much of that ecto supply is listed way above the selling price and was listed a while ago.

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

There were supposedly a lot more T6’s dropping on the first day than was actually intended … which immediately got patched (funny how certain bugs people actually like get rushed to the front of the line for patching while some very unpopular bugs that have been around since Launch still haven’t been Fixed)

The August 6th growth

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Of course, much of that ecto supply is listed way above the selling price and was listed a while ago.

Then that’s true at both samples meaning even less ectos are in supply at the current trading range.

RIP City of Heroes