The Gem Store is Severely Lacking

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: SeasThyDay.7398

SeasThyDay.7398

Let’s face it—almost all of the worthwhile items in the gemstore are actually features that are provided free of charge in every other MMORPG.

When you eliminate the features being held hostage in the gemstore, it boils down to just these items: In-town clothes, RNG boxes, and mini-pets.

Only a select few are actually interested in them. And, as a matter of fact, there aren’t any “store” qualities about the gemstore at all. The other “new” items are just recycled trash that barely functions (yes, I’m referring to the botched job on the Consortium Harvesting sickle).

It’s as if there was originally a plan to do something honest with it, but development plans were put on hold indefinitely, so they’ve filled it with rubbish instead.

(edited by SeasThyDay.7398)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Extra bank slots? Extra character slots? Unlimited gathering tools? Karma/MF/exp boosters? Convenience items like the instant merchant/trading post/bank? Transmutation crystals? Random fun items like dance/musical equipment? Hair/total make-over kits?

Heck, I’d venture to assume that, based on Gem ratio spikes, stuff like character/bank slot expansions, transmutation stones, and the unlimited gathering tools are incredibly popular.

Also please name me an MMO which gave you extra bank/character slots for free, because I can sure name you MMOs which charge you for extra bank/character slots.

in Black Lion Trading Co

SeasThyDay.7398

I honestly don’t know whether you’re joking or not, but I will reply seriously—the answer is yes to the first four. Transmutation stones are unique, but honestly should not need to be paid for. Yes to the next two, as well.

Yes, those items are the basic functions that most players should never ever need to visit a store for. Thus, it’s obvious why they would sell.

Bank space is extremely limited compared to any other MMORPG out there, I shouldn’t have to give you examples. And I’m sure you can, but that’s not the point.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

You’re being disingenuous by making these generic statements without bringing specific examples. If you wish to be persuasive, you should be more precise in your communication and examples.

What game has mechanics of gathering tools, and has unlimited gathering tools available in a non-cash shop format? (Not Everquest)

Which game has bank slots, and gives extra bank slots available in a non-cash shop format? (This is the point. You’re the one who stated that features like this are “provided free of charge in every other MMORPG.” Please name me an MMO which provide you extra bank slots free of charge. Definitely not Rift or WoW or LOTRO. Bank slot expansions cost money, real or virtue.)

Which game allows you to change your character’s appearance for free? (Certainly not WoW, requires actual money. Certainly not in Rift. Can be done with in-game money but definitely not free. Doesn’t even exist in LotRO last time I played)

What game, with stationed merchant NPCs, allow you to instantly summon a merchant NPC to you for free? (I honestly don’t know of any MMO which lets you do it for free.)

So what is your point? Your original posts states that:

the worthwhile items in the gemstore are actually features that are provided free of charge in every other MMORPG

This is obviously false.

EDIT: Honestly, what is your point? Why are you ignoring the aspects of the Gem Store which you label as “free in every other MMO?” Again, there’s plenty of evidence that the playerbase are eating it up. There’s many posts extolling the virtues of the quaggan backpacks and the molten mining pick. We’ve seen massive spikes in Gem ratios when character slots, bank slots, and transmutation slots went on sale. And then we have NCSoft’s earnings report which basically stated GW2’s Gem Store has done wonderful business. So basically, what you label as “rubbish” is selling real well.

(edited by Ursan.7846)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Which are all these “worthwhile items” that are free in other MMORPG? I am having a hard time finding them.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Most MMO’s tend to require actual payment in order to extend your bank. Same with Character slots.

Diablo 3 is not a MMO (even if Blizzard wants to make it like one)

No, in the original Guild Wars you had to BUY Expansions/Campaigns in order to get the extra slots. You couldn’t unlock a single extra slot without paying.

You don’t have to pay a single gem in order to gather stuff, since all things in the game can gathered with items available in game.
Another thing to keep in mind is that you have to pay $15 each month to even access WoW.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

SeasThyDay.7398

The reason I said I would humor you, is precisely because I know that there’s no use in trying to convince you. When a person can’t understand hyperbole it’s not because they’re too daft to understand, but simply because they’re too firmly rooted in their beliefs to admit being wrong. If you want to write off all of the examples of Diablo 3, Guild Wars, RuneScape, and World of Warcraft, as “not real MMORPGs”, then there’s nothing left to discuss.

Edit: The bottom line is, you refuse to engage in a wholesome argument as a person. Rather than using your senses to detect hyperbole and the meaning behind that hyperbole, you are engaging in a robotic, word-by-word argument. You have not admitted in any way or shape that you’ve been wrong, even after I played along with your initial cynical remark. Anyone reading your comments knows that you’re skirting around the issues (AKA, trolling).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Quite a lot of trimming here.

It’s going to be tough to debate this point if the Mods delete nearly all mentions of other games.

First Seas you will need to limit your comparisons to games that are B2P or F2P because the Gem shop in GW2 is it’s source of continuous income, unlike subscription based games.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

There is this other thread – what I would like to see in the gem store – or such, why not post there saying what you would like to see?
A lot of games don’t have transmutation stones because that functionality is not there. Personally I have not had to buy any yet, the game generously provided me with those.
Someone must be buying the mini’s because there are plenty on the TP – considering that’s the only place they come from …
Anyways, let your imagination run wild and tell us what you would like to buy in the gem store.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

actually in other MMO with sub, you have more char slots(11 on WoW i think) you have a bigger Bank(hell alot bigger) , you can Transmutate on a NPC for Gold, you dont have “charges” on the gathering tools, you do have in-game items that are instant merchants and even reforge for gear.

But the gem store have good stuff to, the hair and char total kit makeover is nice and the name changer.

Now what i dont like is RNG stuff when you pay with REAL MONEY, and i dont like to see stuff(gear, pets etc) that could be earn in-game instead of the gem store, but well its b2p they have to make money you say, its true, and this is my first B2p game and i prefer to pay 12euros a month and know that i can earn everything in-game instead of spending real money or the gold to gems stupid feature.

(edited by lekyii.9856)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Moderator.9532

Moderator.9532

We do accept negative criticism or suggestions as long as it is kept in a respectful and constructive tone. We invite everyone to rephrase their thoughts and suggestions in the ongoing discussion about the gemstore. This thread is locked.

(edited by Moderator.9532)