The Watchwork pick and past/future tools :D

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: thelafman.9143

thelafman.9143

I love the concept of the new pick, a tool that gives a small chance at a resource not available/scarce ways to acquire. My suggestion is to update the old ones and re-release them every couple of months, to give new comers a chance at resources they didn’t have the chance to see.

The idea would be to get 2 resources linked to the release/theme of the tool. Like the quartz node from the Bazaar, that can give Quartz and Charged Quartz ( very low chance), we could see those nodes/ gatherings tools updates to reflect this.

The idea here is to have the ‘’drop rate’’ of the first resource similar or a bit lower to the the ‘’drop rate’’ of the sprockets from the watchwork pick and the 2nd resource, similar or lower, to the Charged Quartz from the home instance node.

Ideas
Molten pick: Azurite Crystal and Orb
Consortium sickle: Passion fruit and Karka shell
Chop-it-all axe (Aetherblade themed): Quartz and Charged Quartz

Bone pick: no idea
Jack-in-the-box Scythe: Candy Corn and Trick or Treat bag
Dreamcleaver axe: 1 or 5 Pristine spore sample

I wouldn’t mind if there’s was a small fee to upgrade them ( i.e.: 150-200 gems, some gold or even some of the resources we would have already gathered, like a stack of passion fruit for the Consortium sickle)

What do you guys think? suggestions?

(Sorry for posting here, I tried the suggestions forums but it’s been archived.)

Selena of the Wolf – level 80 Elementalist – Ehmry Bay

(edited by thelafman.9143)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Flat out no. Keep the power creep out of the gem tools. Cosmetics and minor conveniences. Bonus harvesting is a horrible idea and I really want to see it removed from the current tool, not added to others.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

It looks like someone bought a tool that created extra threads.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Just make the current ones on par with the laurel harvest tools, bam, problem solved, that or drop the silly 20% chance off of it

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

I don’t agree with orbs or quartz, but it wouldn’t be so horrid to have something added. (They never had equal value to sprockets)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

I am going to say no only because I already paid 1k gems for some of my tools. My molten set I did get for 800 each but the bone pick etc were split. some for 800 and some for 1k. I do not want to pay another 200 gems.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

What about a logging axe that can pop out a precursor? Because that’s the direction we’re heading.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

The problem indeed is: where is the limit? You have to realize that sprockets will become more valuable and that Anet will keep adding uses to them (precursor crafting anyone? What if they add a subcomponent that requires 10,000 sprockets?). So what’s the limit? A chance of empyrial shards? Lodestone cores? Crystalline dust, Azurite orbs, Toxic spores, or pristine snowflakes? Anything is on the table.

Other than that, you’ll always have regrets about buying an infinite tool because the next one will always be better/more efficient/more rewarding. It’s a very deep rabbit hole; you do not want to go in there.

(edited by Buttercup.5871)

in Black Lion Trading Co

thelafman.9143

I think I see where you guys are coming from and I can see that it can become a very slippery slope. Even if Anet is a company and must make money to survive and grow, I don’t think just want to milk every cent out of us. With a product like that, I see a ’’patch’’ to ’’fix’’ content.

Let me explain: First, it’s not like sprockets weren’t around the last 6 months. If you wanted them, you could go farm them when Scarlet’s minions were invading a map. But most people stopped doing those events because they were ‘’ too hard/not fun/dumb/etc.’’ There are runes and sigils craftable from sprockets since august 2013. Are they any good? Depends on the builds people want to make. You want those runes/sigils, go farm invasions or buy from the TP, your choice.

Secondly, now that Scarlet’s story is coming to an end shortly ( whenever she dies or not and all that), the invasions will probably go away. Now, the only source of sprockets dies with it. Comes in the sprocket generator from the meta and the watchwork pick axe.

Third, the new Zealot’s stats gear. Was it a good idea that it requires sprockets to make? Maybe, maybe not. Celestial gear requires Quartz. How do you get Quartz if you don’t have the node in your home? Buy from the TP or buy wintersday gifts from the TP and pray to the RNGods. Sentinel’s gear? TP or guild commendations. You can’t get Azurite orbs anymore except for the ones from the TP! Once those are gone, you won’t be able to craft exotic Sentinel’s trinkets, you’ll have to rely on ascended. So far, those stats aren’t being use by most people, so there are a lot of those resources sitting in the TP.

I can get why someone is kittened if they bought the 3-set of tools during Wintersday and now this comes out. There are pros and cons but you got 3 account bound tools for less than I paid for my 3 soulbound ones, so there’s that. Do you really need sprockets that bad? Maybe, maybe not. Let the ‘’ crazy/dumb/fanboy/etc.’’ people like me get that pick and farm sprockets then sell them. By the time you need them they’ll be crazy cheap.

For the 6 previous tools, that’s why I made those suggestions, to ‘’even it out’’, so it could be fair to everybody. You want sprockets? Farm Quartz with your already bought tool, sell them and buy sprockets.

As for what Lord Kuru and Buttercup are saying, I haven’t played a lot of other MMOs so I can’t comment on their cash grabs, but I’ve been playing GW1 since launch and same with GW2. I’ve seen, experienced and bought from Anet for a long time. If they are doing this, it’s because there’s a good reason. If the day comes that they sell gem store products that gives resources easily available anywhere, anytime, then I’ll lose faith in them and stop playing. Call me fanboy, I’ll take it, but I see a company that listen to it’s players and respect them unlike a lot of them out there that have been around for much, much longer.

TL;DR Buy sprockets from the TP, keep calm and ask Anet nicely to update your old tools, they’ll listen

in Black Lion Trading Co

Buttercup.5871

To your TL;DR:

What if you have the “wrong tools” – let’s say my molten pick gives azurite crystals – and 3 months down the line your precursor requires 10.000 sprockets to craft? Should I fill up 40 bank slots with sprockets now, in the event that happens? What if it requires 10.000 pristine snowflakes, and I wasn’t in time to get the “unlimited ice pick”?

There is no end to this, you’ll be coughing up 1k gems with every new currency that is introduced. If you don’t, well, your fault! You’ll simply pay an enormous bill later on. But that’s later right? Let’s not get worried too quickly

in Black Lion Trading Co

thelafman.9143

I’ll bet you anything that you won’t need sprockets, spore samples, quartz, etc. for precursors or anything else. Those resources are for specialty items, not core content. How can I know? I don’t. But it would be very bad design if let’s say a precursor needed sprockets or others, because they aren’t ’’core’’ components of the game.

What I’m saying is, update those that people already have to be fair and if the next ones to come out comes with added bonuses it’s fine, you won’t need to have them to ’’win’’, there’s no such thing with those resources. Put the tools up for sale every couple of months, hell put them there permanently. Let the people decide if they want the added bonuses or not, you’ll never need those resources for ’’core’’ stuff.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Buttercup.5871

I’ll bet you anything that you won’t need sprockets, spore samples, quartz, etc. for precursors or anything else. Those resources are for specialty items, not core content. How can I know? I don’t. But it would be very bad design if let’s say a precursor needed sprockets or others, because they aren’t ’’core’’ components of the game.

What I’m saying is, update those that people already have to be fair and if the next ones to come out comes with added bonuses it’s fine, you won’t need to have them to ’’win’’, there’s no such thing with those resources. Put the tools up for sale every couple of months, hell put them there permanently. Let the people decide if they want the added bonuses or not, you’ll never need those resources for ’’core’’ stuff.

Yet, you still require sentinel insignias for ascended sentinel gear. Which will be the same for ascended trinkets (azurite orbs), once jeweler goes to 500 (which we know it will). Oh, and of course you need charged quartz for ascended celestial gear/trinkets. Oh, and we know you need 500 sprockets per zealot insignia (and, presumably, 750 sprockets per trinket, as trinkets require 5 jewels to craft).

My point being, isn’t ascended gear “core content”? Because I really thought it was.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

Seriously I’m kinda fed on how ANet threats people who use gem store.
Its worse and worse for like last 3 months.

I hope they know that it makes people feel bad and there is a line when feeling bad will stop people from playing even if they throw in the best content ever. People will just not get in to experience it because they will feel betrayed one time too many.

And of course it mechanic like that will break any additional currency market for forever. So sprockets are useless forever. That’s just sad for everyone who wanted to use them when they will have higher price, just like old skin does.

(edited by Septemptus.7164)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

No, just no. The idea of this pick is just wrong and it should get scrapped, like a piece of potentially gamebreaking junk it is.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

What if you have the “wrong tools” – let’s say my molten pick gives azurite crystals – and 3 months down the line your precursor requires 10.000 sprockets to craft? Should I fill up 40 bank slots with sprockets now, in the event that happens? What if it requires 10.000 pristine snowflakes, and I wasn’t in time to get the “unlimited ice pick”?

I am not a fan of the new tools bonus. However what you’ve said above is missing one thing. If you do not buy this tool and it’s “required” for something else but you do buy the “snowflake” tool; then you simply trade snowflakes for sprockets. While their prices might not be the same this is what most players would do I think.

I am more concerned with them updating old tools to do an extra something and making me pay for said upgrade. I did not want my tools account bound, and now I have to pay extra for that. I understand why many want it but I did not need that gem hike.

No, just no. The idea of this pick is just wrong and it should get scrapped, like a piece of potentially gamebreaking junk it is.

It’s simply too late now. The did listen and removed the flame light armor because of that debacle. Once they reverted their decision and took it down to retool it, there were just as many people happy about this as mad about it.

So even if they decided. “yeah we messed up” and took it away you’d have just as many who paid for it and are now angry about the change. This is no win win by doing that sadly.

(edited by KOPPER.1458)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

Yet, you still require sentinel insignias for ascended sentinel gear. Which will be the same for ascended trinkets (azurite orbs), once jeweler goes to 500 (which we know it will). Oh, and of course you need charged quartz for ascended celestial gear/trinkets. Oh, and we know you need 500 sprockets per zealot insignia (and, presumably, 750 sprockets per trinket, as trinkets require 5 jewels to craft).

My point being, isn’t ascended gear “core content”? Because I really thought it was.

BTW, ascended trinkets already exist… noone of them are tied to jewelcrafting… or did everyone forget fractals.

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Buttercup.5871

BTW, ascended trinkets already exist… noone of them are tied to jewelcrafting… or did everyone forget fractals.

I didn’t forget fractals. I didn’t forget they announced ascended jewelcrafting and a legendary trinket or back item, either. It will come, the only question is when. Other than that: I don’t know about you, but I’m not willing or able to spend 80 laurels on just two accessories for each of my 9 characters -guild missions not being my thing and all. Or did you forget about the trouble you have to go through to obtain ascended accessories? And that currently, zealot and sentinel ascended accessories are not obtainable? Did you consider the possibility – no, likelihood that these might only be obtained through crafting? If that happens, can we call it “core content” then?

The sand might be warm now, but I still prefer not to stick my head in it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

I say this not to offend, but to bring some perspective:

Buttercup, are you seriously complaining about the fact that you may not be able to deck out all of your alts in the same gear set, in the manner most conveinent for you?

If I were you, I’d save my nerdrage for more practical concerns. Sprockets should not be one of them, especially after how we’ve seen anet handle the other unusual crafting materials (candy corn, snowflakes, quartz).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

Okay John smith – what’s your take?
These tools were designed with input from an economist (I hope so).

It’s pretty obvious there is a Hugh economic edge to the release of this tool and what it means to players, prices and other emotional factors which then feedback into the economic aspect of this on a short and long term basis.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DeShadowWolf.6854

DeShadowWolf.6854

Presuming that you spent $10 and traded gold for gems (using exchange rates from spidy, your amounts may vary), by not trading gold for gems and trading the gems you got for gold, you would have enough money to buy (@33c each, one more than the buy order, also pulled from spidy) nearly 20,000 sprockets. Using the pick to mine that would require about 100,000 swings, or 10,000 rich nodes worth. Sure, buying now with that gold may be a one-time thing, but unless you plan to mine THAT much with this pick (and this is per pick), that one-time set of buy orders just might be enough.

Statistics and math aside, I don’t like the pick, nor this idea. I’m not sure if I would call it P2W, but it sets a dangerous precedent. Even if it isn’t economical for most people at current prices, it adds functionality in the gem store that can’t be gotten anywhere in-game. Even if sprockets aren’t worth much now, they could be worth more in the future, and if we replace sprockets with X, X could equal any amount at any time, such as Azurite Crystals and Orbs, which are about 2.6 silver and 5.3 gold respectively. Thelafman’s idea takes this to a whole new level

in Black Lion Trading Co

Buttercup.5871

I say this not to offend, but to bring some perspective:

Buttercup, are you seriously complaining about the fact that you may not be able to deck out all of your alts in the same gear set, in the manner most conveinent for you?

If I were you, I’d save my nerdrage for more practical concerns. Sprockets should not be one of them, especially after how we’ve seen anet handle the other unusual crafting materials (candy corn, snowflakes, quartz).

This is not about sprockets. Not yet, anyway.

It’s about a huge change of direction in the gemstore policy. I cannot stress enough how big this is. With this gemstore “concept”, the potential for cash grab is insane. I have seen it before, I know how deep this rabbit hole goes.

The next infinite sickle? Well, you don’t have to buy it. If you don’t, though, you will just spend 20 times longer getting those “crit harvests” you need for your next legendary. And the extra crystalline ore, well, that’s just a nice bonus, of course. But hey, it’s all a matter of choice, right? Oh, and be sure to get the new ect-o-matic on the next release, it’s so much more efficient than the old one.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I’d just like them to add a way to transmorgify asurite crystals into orbs and add asurite to open world mithril & ori nodes. Right now the only way to get more crystals is in fractals.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Scorpius.4532

Scorpius.4532

Some folks make the argument comparing these harvesting tools to buying cars which is not a viable comparison due to the fact that most everyone would trade in their old model toward the new car for the new features – not keep the old car and buy an entirely new one (speaking in general of course).

That’s what I would like to see here. I don’t personally mind the bonus items with the new harvesting tools but give us a fair upgrade path like 100 gems plus our old tool as trade in for the new tool. That allows a constant upgrade path for those of us that have already invested in these tools and softens the blow of changes like this.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

That is a great idea Scorpius but it would crush NcSoft’s cash cow which just isn’t allowed. And for those that don’t know, Anet is just the puppet to NcSoft who are the publishers and the real financial backing in this game.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

I’m just kittened that i spend gems on a pickaxe that is now worst.

12.50euro’s for a single gathering tool is very expensive, now i can bet that a few months down the line theyll release a flat out superior permanent gathering tool.

So i certainly wont be spending anymore gems on anything. It is abundantly clear that this is a route arenanet is now taking. Simply make you pay more then once for the same thing.

First it was ascended gear, that has you paying twice to keep using the skins you already bought. And now theyre doing something similar with gathering tools, and this is surely only the beginning.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

The next infinite sickle? Well, you don’t have to buy it. If you don’t, though, you will just spend 20 times longer getting those “crit harvests” you need for your next legendary. And the extra crystalline ore, well, that’s just a nice bonus, of course. But hey, it’s all a matter of choice, right? Oh, and be sure to get the new ect-o-matic on the next release, it’s so much more efficient than the old one.

(1) Your entire argument is based on a slippery slope fallacy. I agree with you that if they went to the extreme end of the slippery slope that would be very unfortunate. But I don’t see that happening. Rather, I suspect this is likely a way to keep supply of seasonal materials flowing onto the market during the off-season.

(2) You’ve never bought anything that later became obsolete? Honestly, I get so much value out of my current SOM that if a newer, better version came out later in the future I would buy it, with no regrets. I paid 800gems, purchased with gold, to get the current functionality and consider it an excellent value. Even if something new is released in the future, the existing SOM continues to be functional for the price that I bought it at, and thus I would merrily stick it on an alt.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

You’re all complaining about an 6-8 copper per node profit? Weren’t you all the ones saying it’s a convenience item so their is no reason to justify the cost economically? You can’t have the argument both ways just because you can earn a very small amount of money on each node now.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes