Thoughts on the Consortium Harvesting Sickle?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: SeasThyDay.7398

SeasThyDay.7398

So, Anet has updated the sickle animation twice now. What do you guys think about the variations that have come out so far? Are you satisfied?

Personally, I don’t like the new animation.

It still looks wrong, no matter how you look at it. First, why is a sickle being swung around like a golf club? Although it wasn’t a bad idea to swing in the opposite direction of a pick, the implementation is rough. Second, the spring is grotesquely oversize for harvesting; if I were planting a magic beanstalk, then maybe it would fit.

The timing issue and bugs have been addressed, but if that was all the Anet team needed to do they should’ve skinned a regular sickle and patted themselves on the back for a job well-done. Instead, they copied old animations to give the sickle a “special” animation. There’s nothing special about copied work, so it seems the development team just hasn’t put in enough effort to call this a finished product yet.

As it is now, the sickle is effectively a scythe. Going along with that theme, I like the idea of literally reaping heads of corn (Sorry, you can’t get the idea out of my head now—you’ll just have to start planting virtual corn). A scythe is swung in a diagonal motion. Heck, if that’s too difficult to engineer, a plowing motion would suffice.

Now, I sincerely hope the team either:
A. Further develops the sickle
or
B. Comes out with another sickle in the near future bearing a different theme, with an original animation.

Release (mining sickle with small spring): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZslBb43ySw
1st Update (harvesting sickle with small spring): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTeVWbsP-SU
2nd Update (hammer animation with big spring): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lwvVfe7mdQ

(edited by SeasThyDay.7398)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

‘Meh’. As long as it functions properly, don’t care. Actually I would rather it didn’t have any different/extra animation at all. It serves its purpose as a convenience tool so you never had to buy another sickle or care about whether you have the right one equipped or getting out of combat so you can equip the right one.

in Black Lion Trading Co

SeasThyDay.7398

I also wouldn’t have minded a simple skinned all-use sickle, but it seems like if they’re going to make it animated they should do it right.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I like the current animation (as well as the size of the special effects), although I agree that it’s more like a scythe than a sickle.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The scythe thing was a player suggestion. If you want to know who to blame just search the forum. :P

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wiz.1543

Wiz.1543

IMHO, the sickle is good as it is. I really like the current animation. Although one can say: Its super special ultra mega über chocolaty fudged awesome. But that spot is reserved for the prettiest of the 2 wing back pieces of the Dragon fest ^^.

Yes I know its a bit fanboy. But the reason why I am saying this is is I don’t know how much they even can improve the animation and I rather have them spent their energy on something else. Living story/ Expansion/ Maybe Ascended dungeon armor. 1000 tokens a piece.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I don’t care about the swing, but I do like the veins and water. Last iteration is definitively the best yet.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Couldn’t care less about the animations, I buy these items so I don’t have to worry about harvesting tools. I do think the pick is pretty cool, but I wouldn’t mind if they looked identical to the standard tools. TBH I’d rather have faster harvesting animations than prettier ones.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

I really like it now. It’s enjoyable to use and looks decent, so I don’t see any real need for further changes.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: JakHammer.7094

JakHammer.7094

I am also quite pleased with the current version. For me it is just a very large sickle, well suited to a swift single scythe motion, instead of having to crouch down and saw away. The special effect is now attractive and fun, almost on par with the molten pickaxe.

Well done GW team, hearing a major concern and responding very effectively in a timely way.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

I like the new version.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

I’m happy with it.

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: IronPanther.6943

IronPanther.6943

The animation still feels a bit off, I kinda have to agree with the golf club analogy. For the reusable mining pick, the animation looked fine as there’s a lot of ways to smash into a rock. The eventual axe animation will likely be easier to do for the same reasoning as the pick; there’s plenty of ways to imply the tree is being chopped at.

The sickle just feels awkward though and it’s a shame they keep recycling other animations through each change to it, rather than having them develop a new movement animation that better matches the flow of how harvesting plants works with the shape of that sickle. There’s a time and place where recycling animations can work out fine, but this is one situation where it’s not working out as well as intended.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s a scythe and yes you swing it similarly to a golf club. Once they made the handle long for the pickaxe animation it was no longing a sickle but a scythe and now it has animation closer to that.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

SeasThyDay.7398

I called it a golf swing, but in truth I was merely being polite. It’s an animation for a hammer. A golf swing would be more graceful.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Marxo.3829

Marxo.3829

I find the current animation to be very satisfying. Also as a sylvari main, it was a must-have

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Golf sickle is hilarious, I liek it a lot.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Golf sickle is hilarious, I liek it a lot.

Golfcycles

Attachments:

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes