Tired of "Female Armor must show skin"?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Varielle.9074

Varielle.9074

Just wondering if I am alone in this.

I recently came across the Phalanx armor on the gem store and thought it looked awesome.. until I found out that the female version of the same armor looked a lot less impressive.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

When it comes to heavy armor in general, your “Female Armor must show skin” theory is invalid. That is all.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Varielle.9074

Well the latest phalanx armor on females looks absolutely terrible compared to the male version…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Romo.3709

That I can agree with.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

When it comes to heavy armor in general, your “Female Armor must show skin” theory is invalid. That is all.

Why? It’s magic armor, so the skin is magically enforced. Including an ivisible forcefield for those body parts seemingly uncoverd

in Black Lion Trading Co

Romo.3709

Why? It’s magic armor, so the skin is magically enforced. Including an ivisible forcefield for those body parts seemingly uncoverd

Therefore why bother going though a whole character selection screen, when you won’t be able to see anything anyways…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Romo.3709

Heavy armors in general are very bulky. And we have A LOTof them to choose from if that’s the way you want your character looking. But the ones that show skin are very few and can be counted on one hand with ease. So don’t complain about showing skin. And yes it is magic since I am a guardian and I use holy magic to protect me.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

It only seems like all the heavy armors show skin because that’s what people use.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I don’t necessarily have a problem with more revealing armor but sometimes it just seems like they were trying too hard like with the priory and whispers sets.

Then there are the ones like the aetherblade set which looks more like tight leather pants. That doesn’t seem to make much sense for heavy armor. Braham’s is not very heavy armor looking either.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

My Norn doesn’t show skin… just curves .

Attachments:

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

My Norn doesn’t show skin… just curves .

I LOVE your sig.

RIP in peace Robert

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lily Miranda.5407

Lily Miranda.5407

Nope.

I’m tired of the wide disparity between how male and female armor looks, yes, but it has nothing to do with how much skin shows. I’d just rather the sets be more similar-looking. If a set is revealing on females, it should be revealing on males too.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Chippalrus.5437

Chippalrus.5437

I like female skin like most Males do, but I also like females in awesome-looking-kicking-the-crap-out-of-you armor. While, I don’t mind the current armor, I do also wish for a version like the Male on the female. I think a lot of people applaud Anet for spending the time to create separate concepts, but at the same time feel left out due to certain restrictions. If both concepts were available to both male and female I think everyone would be happy.

To add to this.. the male version of the Phalanx armor slightly reminds me of Infinity Blade ( iOS game ).

Also, there is an artist, by the name Wen-M, that I like and he does wonderful full armor female for tale-top games. I have always hoped that Anet would release a skin similar to his design.

Here is one of my favourite:
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs25/f/2009/252/9/7/Anima__Erika_by_Wen_M.jpg
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/246/8/d/erika_design_process_by_wen_m-d2xx32i.jpg

Other examples:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs21/f/2007/309/2/2/Anima__Claire_by_Wen_M.jpg
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs10/i/2006/096/9/0/Anima__Holy_paladin_by_Wen_M.jpg

in Black Lion Trading Co

Varielle.9074

I like female skin like most Males do, but I also like females in awesome-looking-kicking-the-crap-out-of-you armor. While, I don’t mind the current armor, I do also wish for a version like the Male on the female. I think a lot of people applaud Anet for spending the time to create separate concepts, but at the same time feel left out due to certain restrictions. If both concepts were available to both male and female I think everyone would be happy.

Exactly, I agree with you there. I guess I am just really miffed that the phalanx armor looks so darn aweseome… until I logged in preview it on my female toon and found that looked absolutely like nothing I seen on the website.

The disparity is just too stark. The human T3 heavy has different looks for both male and female but female version still looks fairly kitten. The phalanx just seems like it was intentionally redesign to show more thigh and boobs for the female version

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Frayta.4816

Frayta.4816

If you hate armor dimorphism, then, and this is a serious suggestion. Play a charr, or asura.

These races have a culture where, like you protecting themselves with their armor is more important then it looking “Attractive.” They don’t care to separate themselves with different clothing. (Other then males sometimes being topless in charr culture.) So the armor isn’t different male or female.

Now if your saying, you want to be humanoid, and have non dimorphic armor, that’s going to be a big uphill battle for you. Game developers and their customers mostly expect to be given sexy, slim fitted women. (While trying to draw a line in theory LMAO.)

I hate it myself- but it’s something I fully except every time I make a female humanoid character, even the plate armor is going to show skin.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

There are literally only three other (non cultural) heavy leg armors in the whole game that show significant skin on females, and none are particularly stylish. People who like revealing armors are already far less catered to in this game, so don’t complain.

My only problem with this skin is the scales look very flat and fake, like an N64 texture.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

There’s about 6 heavy armor sets that show skin in the entire game, and of them only 2 are skimpy. Oh! And of the skimpy ones, one makes you look like a cave girl and the other is beyond weird and bizzarre and forces you to farm a dungeon, so no thanks I’m going to dress my girl adequately.

Why can’t we get armors like those instead?
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Warrior_Elite_Templar_armor_f.jpg
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Warrior_Luxon_armor_f.jpg
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Warrior_Silver_Eagle_armor_f.jpg

Those Guild Wars 1 armors exposed some skins but weren’t exaggeratedly revealing and still looked like metal armor. Those are the kind of armors I would have wanted for my warrior, and I would totally spend some gems on a set that look like that if one was available.

Revealing or not, I want heavy armor to look like heavy metal armor. Yeah, the game could use a few more revealing heavy armors, however the female version of the Phalanx set doesn’t even look like armor. (And neither do the Arah or pit fighter sets…) So yeah for the Phalanx set I also prefer the male version, just because it actually looks like armor.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ashariel.8490

Ashariel.8490

There’s about 6 heavy armor sets that show skin in the entire game, and of them only 2 are skimpy. Oh! And of the skimpy ones, one makes you look like a cave girl and the other is beyond weird and bizzarre and forces you to farm a dungeon, so no thanks I’m going to dress my girl adequately.

Why can’t we get armors like those instead?
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Warrior_Elite_Templar_armor_f.jpg
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Warrior_Luxon_armor_f.jpg
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Warrior_Silver_Eagle_armor_f.jpg

Those Guild Wars 1 armors exposed some skins but weren’t exaggeratedly revealing and still looked like metal armor. Those are the kind of armors I would have wanted for my warrior, and I would totally spend some gems on a set that look like that if one was available.

Revealing or not, I want heavy armor to look like heavy metal armor. Yeah, the game could use a few more revealing heavy armors, however the female version of the Phalanx set doesn’t even look like armor. (And neither do the Arah or pit fighter sets…) So yeah for the Phalanx set I also prefer the male version, just because it actually looks like armor.

Your suggestions for armor from gw1 contradicts your last paragraph considering two of those armors are skimpier than the phalanx set.

Regardless, heavy armor needs variety, it needs it’s share of revealing armor and non revealing armor, to please both parties. There will be more skimpy armor, and non-skimpy armor that will be released in the future, but there is no need for this uproar every time one such an armor comes out, because we already have quite a lot of choice to use revealing or non-revealing armor.

To cater only to the group that prefer conservative armor is unjust for the other.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: sampsonkennedy.3051

sampsonkennedy.3051

I’m disappointed that the female Phalanx looks so different from the male, but I’m also annoyed that it looks so similar to the female viper armour too (asymmetrical gauntlets and shoulders, angled short skirt, knee high boots)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: The Master.2893

The Master.2893

Just wondering if I am alone in this.

Whats so wrong with “showing skin”?…..

THE MASTER HAS SPOKEN!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Blackmoon.6837

Blackmoon.6837

I want more light armors that show skin for my female mesmer, however, it is just my opinion. So to respect the fact that others might want the opposite designs (or designs more inbetween), I’m just going to compromise by saying that Anet should continue to design at their current rate.

This game has a good balance as is.