Unlimited salvage kit and future magic find

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Curse Drew.8679

Curse Drew.8679

I asked this question before as well and did not get an answer…I wouldn’t expect one either because they don’t want to reveal their MF plans and would like to cash in on the new gem store item.

If they want to cash in they better let us know NOW!
I was planning to buy one, but you have brought up a very good point. If they salvage kit isn’t going to permanently be useful, then why buy it? I think we need some details on this.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

I bought all tools for my 8 characters and I was glad. but I wont buy this Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic , cause its wasted effort since you have to pay additionally for any salvage you make. Sorry its not worth it.
Also chances to get rare components are very low and sigil runes are none…
Sorry, I would pay for it at most 100 gems when I have to feed it with copper each salvage.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vik.2789

Vik.2789

Realy good idia!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: PolarisNova.3867

PolarisNova.3867

Not buying it. I purchased all three gathering tools, and was expecting to buy this. But as it’s basic, and costs 800 gems, I’m not touching it. I am somewhat relieved to be saving my money on this occasion.

~Lady Amelia of the House of Rose~

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Yea great idea! Also it can consume karma instead money.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

it almost feels like a scam to me, all the gathering types work as the top teir, and dont cost a thing for uses. now they sell me a junk unlimit piece of crap. so u go from top tier for 800 gems to lowest teir for 800 gems and then they charge you yo use it… give me back 400 gems and take this thing from my bank as thats will it will sit for the rest of my time in gw

I would suggest you read up what a scam actually is.
A scam would be selling something and then delivering something else.
In this case it is very clear that it is the same as Basic Salvage kit, thus not a scam.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Relativity.3264

Relativity.3264

Did it get ninja nerfed in the last patch? I’ve heard from multiple people that it’s stopped salvaging upgrades.

Maxed HOM (Name: Random Firing)
Fractal 80 before Fractured, world first fractal 50 after

in Black Lion Trading Co

lordkrall.7241

It was never supposed to salvage upgrades, at least not according to the gem-store page. So it would rather be a bug-fix than a nerf. And as far as I remember I didn’t get any upgrades even before the patch.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Relativity.3264

Relativity.3264

The description on the item says it does so it would be yet another bug.

Maxed HOM (Name: Random Firing)
Fractal 80 before Fractured, world first fractal 50 after

in Black Lion Trading Co

lordkrall.7241

I would say it is more a visual error than an actual bug. And it is not really much of an issue since the actual store item state that it can’t remove upgrades.
Had it been the other way around on the other hand it would most likely be rather high priority.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: kinjiro.3251

kinjiro.3251

Plain and simple. Not worth it. At a savings of 13 copper over basic salvage kits. Which by the way a lvl 80 would never use it’s simply a waste of 800 gems.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Syktek.7912

Syktek.7912

Will not be purchasing this. I have plenty of Mystic Forge kits I can make at the moment.

Vesper Dawnshield | Guardian

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: fuji.6283

fuji.6283

If anyone is planning on getting this, I hope you all do your research in-depth or you might end up very disappointed like me. It doesn’t tell you everything you need to know beforehand -_- 800 Gem for this sort of item is no joke.

(edited by fuji.6283)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: arkenstone.7896

arkenstone.7896

I only use basic kits (unless it is a rare in which case I will use the Mystic Kits now that I have them from the stones granted from the achievement chests). The main use of it is to not run out of kits while also offering a small savings and only taking up one slot in your bag. I salvage almost anything I pick up so run through them frequently and have to keep running back to a merchant when I run out… Having an unlimited use salvage kit which costs slightly less than what I have been paying is fine. At least it has the stats of basic and not the no upgrade recovery of the TP description. Granted it would have been better if it was better than the basic level for the same 3 copper per use… Perhaps if enough people complain they will make it have the stats of a higher kit. Granted it won’t be a Black Lion Kit as those are also Gem Store items but perhaps the same as a Master/Mystic Kit which is what I think people were expecting. Even mid grade kits would probably be fine for most people. Master/Mystic kits will probably see the most sales though as I can’t see them going with an unlimited Black Lion Kit. I suppose if it was free then more people would be happy with the basic level. I think it is meant for salvaging the lower level gear obtained from playing in low level areas as a high level character.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

The results I’ve gotten from the new kit are identical to a basic / crude kit as best I can tell (~600 salvages).

There’s little reason to use anything other than basic kits unless you’re looking for runes sigils or ectos; a rare quality permanent kit would not have nearly the value of the new kit unless you’re a huge ecto TP merchant.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: AveryFarman.2973

AveryFarman.2973

I typically keep 4 Basic, 1 Black Lion, and 1 Master’s Salvage kit on my main at all times. A Basic Salvage Kit runs 88cp for 25 uses, while this thing would run 75cp for 25 uses. I’d gain 3 bag spaces, but lose ten bucks in RMT to gain them – or, I could spend that ten bucks to gain a whole bag slot instead. If I went by the description, this unlimited kit doesn’t salvage rare materials or upgrades, while my Basic Salvage Kits have at least a small chance.

This doesn’t seem useful to me. Am I missing something? The gathering tools were useful – they were replacements for orichalcum tools, and work the same way. This? This seems like a money grab to me, and given that I’m addicted to the Gem Store, that’s saying something.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

Think I will keep mystic forging my kits.

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

You are paying 800gems/10euro worth of gems to get a salvage kit that is the same as the Basic Salvage kit.

The big bonus is its permanent, but it still costs 3c to use. By comparison, a basic salvage kit costs 88c with 25 uses. So its ~0.5c cheaper per use then a basic salvage kit. So you’re saving a “whooping” 12.5copper on your salvage kit.

It also says it doesnt return upgrades, people claim it does. We’ll see which its suppose to be, if it is suppose to return upgrades its still no better then a basic salvage kit. So you still want to carry around salvagekits for your rares and such, to have the best chance at upgrades and ecto’s.

The savings on this is minimal. You are basicly paying 30g to not accidentally run out of salvage kits on ONE character. And it takes 600.000 uses to earn that investment back.
I personally never even hit the 500uses for monthly unless i deliberatly buy salvageables from the TP. But even if you get 1000 Salvage uses out of this each and every month you’re still looking at 50years before you earn this thing back. In otherwords, never.

(edited by Terrahero.9358)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

The savings on this is minimal. You are basicly paying 30g to not accidentally run out of salvage kits on ONE character. And it takes 600.000 uses to earn that investment back.
I personally never even hit the 500uses for monthly unless i deliberatly buy salvageables from the TP. But even if you get 1000 Salvage uses out of this each and every month you’re still looking at 50years before you earn this thing back. In otherwords, never.

NONE of the infinite use tools were made to pay for themselves. They are items of convenience, and anyone who knows anything about business knows that convenience costs extra. People don’t save money when they go for something that’s convenient.

These days a lot of supermarkets, Wal-Marts and such are open 24 hours a day, but it wasn’t always so. Gas stations added selections of snacks, groceries and such and stayed open all day, every day. They cost more, but there was a time when, if you needed something on a holiday or ran out of cigarettes at 3 am, you paid extra for the convenience of having a store that stayed open when others were closed.

Buy a single-serving bottle of soda and it will costs more than a 2-liter bottle. But stores place them next to the register so as you’re going to pay for your stuff you see them and go “oh, I’m thirsty, I’ll grab a coke.” If you’re worried about cost you would go back to the soda aisle and get a big bottle and get 10x as much for less money.

Eating in a restaurant costs a lot more than making dinner for yourself. Watch a movie in a theater or wait for it to become available on Netflix… if your main concern is cost then there are a lot of things that don’t make sense, but people do them every day because they have other priorities.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: fuji.6283

fuji.6283

NONE of the infinite use tools were made to pay for themselves. They are items of convenience, and anyone who knows anything about business knows that convenience costs extra. People don’t save money when they go for something that’s convenient.

These days a lot of supermarkets, Wal-Marts and such are open 24 hours a day, but it wasn’t always so. Gas stations added selections of snacks, groceries and such and stayed open all day, every day. They cost more, but there was a time when, if you needed something on a holiday or ran out of cigarettes at 3 am, you paid extra for the convenience of having a store that stayed open when others were closed.

Buy a single-serving bottle of soda and it will costs more than a 2-liter bottle. But stores place them next to the register so as you’re going to pay for your stuff you see them and go “oh, I’m thirsty, I’ll grab a coke.” If you’re worried about cost you would go back to the soda aisle and get a big bottle and get 10x as much for less money.

Eating in a restaurant costs a lot more than making dinner for yourself. Watch a movie in a theater or wait for it to become available on Netflix… if your main concern is cost then there are a lot of things that don’t make sense, but people do them every day because they have other priorities.

There would be no point to these sort of items then. Of course it’s for convenience. We all love that. But also, it’s so that it can help you save up. How so? You can make your hard earned gold off of the previous unlimited tools in just a matter of weeks by gathering well and hard. With this? Dream on. It undermines the very reason why we even salvage in the first place and why people use the salvage kit they do. Your reason only applies to goods for the only purpose of satisfying wants. Salvaging → profit.

(edited by fuji.6283)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

NONE of the infinite use tools were made to pay for themselves. They are items of convenience, and anyone who knows anything about business knows that convenience costs extra. People don’t save money when they go for something that’s convenient….

Your argument is valid to a point. However, there is also a point at which the convenience up-charge puts the company in question out of business. To make your examples more applicable:

If I bought a pack of cigarettes, I would not also pay 3 cents for each cigarette every time I pulled one out.

When I buy a bottle of soda, no matter what size, I am not also going to spend 3 cents every time I want to open the cap.

If I eat in a restaurant, I am not going to pay 3 cents every time I lift my fork.

Paying for 800 gems up front IS the cost of convenience, as most players will never use the infinite item enough times to break even just with that initial cost. This was a complaint that came up already with the infinite gathering tools. With the salvage kit, the additional 3c per use is an add-insult-to-injury situation.

Ultimately, it is up to each person to decide how much they will pay for convenience. However, putting 800 gems on the table up front and then having a barely-reduced cost per salvage is ridiculous, IMO.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Plus the relevance is gonna come into question before the end of the year. When they rework magic find, and blues and greens will start dropping magic find consumables, presumably a master’s salvage kit will give a better chance for them compared to a basic kit. Now couple that with people that have over 100 mystic forge stones from the achievement chests/dailies and what is the point of this item?

What if next month they added a new tier of materials that could be harvested but the infinite use items were not upgraded to be able to mine them too? It’s along similar lines.

I’m not saying that I want the kit to be of master quality: that would make the mystic kit (and mystic forge stones) useless.

But at the same time the large influx of mystic forge stones kinda made this item useless. (Plus the payoff for this item isn’t the same as the gathering tools, and I know I gather a lot more than I salvage). I assume the cost was put in place to try to keep people from just buying salvage items off the tp and flipping the mats, but it’s still an annoying (but trivial) cost.

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

Ultimately, it is up to each person to decide how much they will pay for convenience. However, putting 800 gems on the table up front and then having a barely-reduced cost per salvage is ridiculous, IMO.

I’m not passing any sort of judgement on the item itself, just stating that it was never intended to save money or pay for itself, the sole purpose of the item is convenience – you don’t have to keep buying salvage kits to run through stacks of shredded rags for the monthly achievement.

Every similar item – and this is the fourth – has gotten the same criticism, it will take X thousand uses to make back the money you spend on it. Everyone should realize by now that they weren’t created to save money. Comparing them to limited-use tools on that basis is useless.

Personally, I do think it is a useless tool, like the others, and I don’t care to own one, nor do I own the others. The cost per use is put there to keep people from salvaging drops into “free” mats to sell, which is necessary in the long term. I understand why but it is not something that I want. Others make the judgement on an individual basis, and if you care about the cost in any way, obviously it is not an attractive option.

Plenty of people will buy it just because it’s cool.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

This item is completely worthless.

You can buy basic salvage kits for karma.

Did you all just forget that?

You can buy Fine Salvage Kits with karma.

Did you forget that?

Great, not my point.

Not exactly sure what yours is, but mine is that this gem store item is a waste of money and inventory space.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

This item is completely worthless.

You can buy basic salvage kits for karma.

Did you all just forget that?

Unlimited use that takes up one inventory slot. Did you just forget that? Not everything is about money.

These people are trying to calculate savings. If you buy it because you WANT it, well that’s on you. There’s no real logic or economics behind wanting something.

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

There’s no real logic or economics behind wanting something.

And that’s exactly the point. A person could buy a beat up old pickup truck for $500, or a custom Italian sports car for $100,000. Both will get you to work every day and back. How long will it take for the sports car to pay for itself compared to the truck? Never – it gets terrible gas mileage, insurance payments are insane, and it requires constant upkeep.

So, there’s no reason to ever buy an expensive sports car, right? Except some people have a lot of money and buy things because they want them, not because it will save money.

If you need a logical, economical reason to buy something like this, don’t buy it! There is no reason other than “I want it.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aurelian Omenkind.2470

Aurelian Omenkind.2470

So I caved and bought one. Mostly because I’m weak-willed when it comes to limited-time, infinite use items like this. But now using it, I can see its niche. It won’t replace the higher tier salvage kits, but it fits in nicely for getting mats off white and blue drops. It may not be economical (and I still prefer to see it improve to higher level kit compatibility) but it’s a convenience when running out of bag slots while farming maps.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: arkenstone.7896

arkenstone.7896

So I caved and bought one. Mostly because I’m weak-willed when it comes to limited-time, infinite use items like this. But now using it, I can see its niche. It won’t replace the higher tier salvage kits, but it fits in nicely for getting mats off white and blue drops. It may not be economical (and I still prefer to see it improve to higher level kit compatibility) but it’s a convenience when running out of bag slots while farming maps.

Exactly.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Usui.1485

Usui.1485

Considering this is a convenience item and because it is account bound, is it unreasonable to ask that we receive more than one copper-fed salvage-o-matic for the price of 800 gems? So at the very least, we won’t have to move it between alternate characters to use said unlimited salvage kit to save a measly 0.52c per use.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

Exactly.

They will prob release something for the other kits in the future, I think it’s more a business decision to keep it at the basic level so they can maximize profits.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sire Killem All.8746

Sire Killem All.8746

it almost feels like a scam to me, all the gathering types work as the top teir, and dont cost a thing for uses. now they sell me a junk unlimit piece of crap. so u go from top tier for 800 gems to lowest teir for 800 gems and then they charge you yo use it… give me back 400 gems and take this thing from my bank as thats will it will sit for the rest of my time in gw

I would suggest you read up what a scam actually is.
A scam would be selling something and then delivering something else.
In this case it is very clear that it is the same as Basic Salvage kit, thus not a scam.

JUS SO YOU CAN KNOW WHAT A SCAM IS AND NOT SOME FOOLISH NOTION OF IT ….
“Definition of SCAM

: a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation <an insurance scam>"
and thats from merriam-webster
so yes i can say it feels like a scam was ran.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

So the kit just got even more convenient.

Let’s just hope the Essence of Luck acquisition does not depend on what type of kit you use.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

So the kit just got even more convenient.

Let’s just hope the Essence of Luck acquisition does not depend on what type of kit you use.

Seems unlikely to me… Everything else matters based on kit, so I suspect this will too. But anything is possible at this point.

They gave out ALL the mystic forge stones. they will probably want people to burn through them with mystic kits.