Value of Runes and Medallions

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

Okay, I haven’t looked up gear stuff much as I like to discover things, but I was looking at the market value of these and I was wondering if there was a sensible explanation:

Medallion of the soldier:

+14 Power
+ 10 Vitality
+10 Toughness

(x6)

+ 84 Power
+ 60 Vitality
+ 60 Toughness

Total: 204 stat points.

Price of six, approx 6s66c

Superior Rune of the Soldier:

+ 25 Vitality
+ 15 Toughness
+ 50 Vitality
+ 35 Toughness
+ 90 Vitality
Shouts remove condition

Total: 215 stat points plus shouts remove condition.

Price, approx 8G

Now, looking at these, it seems that the runes are about 8G more for 11 stat points and the ability to shout to remove conditions (at the cost of being able to mix and match).

Is this purely a result of people wanting top-tier stuff regardless?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nobody.4395

Nobody.4395

Mmm you can’t just say 215 >204 so the soldier runes are better by 11 stat points,
165 vit/45 tough >>> 84p/60 vit/60 tough.

Beside that the shouts remove condition is great considering that you can only carry 3 utility skills . Anyway some may disagree on this but I totally understand the price of the soldier rune, they have a real increase in power that support his price

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Shouts removing conditions is something very popular on Warriors, mostly due to Vigorous Shouts adding a heal to all shouts.

And you can’t just compare all the stats and make conclusions based on the total amounts. It might be 11 stats, but since we’re talking Warriors, most of them are going to be running Soldier’s, Knight’s or Berserker’s Armor, giving them either very high Power or very high Toughness, so the Power and Toughness advantage of the Medallions is lost. In comparison, the Superior Rune of the Soldier has 105 more vitality, which is pretty big.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

I bought the runes of the soldier because of the condition removing on the shouts.

In WWW, I use a shout-healing warrior with lots of thoughness, so adding condition removal is very, very nice and totally worth the 8g!

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

Okay, cool. As I said, I haven’t read much on getting optimal spec yet, but it seemed odd. I also haven’t played a warrior class.

Thanks for the info.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

Crest of the Soldier is the tier above Medallion of the Soldier

+20 Power
+14 Toughness
+14 Vitality

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: SharedProphet.9324

SharedProphet.9324

And Crests/Medallions/etc. can be stuck in accessories as well if desired. You have the potential to equip 12 of them (+ 1 in water breather). So maxed out Crest of the Soldiers would give:
+ 240 Power (+ 260 underwater)
+ 168 Toughness (+ 182 underwater)
+ 168 Vitality (+ 182 underwater)

Of course you’d have to compare against whatever these would be replacing from the accessories. Or if they’re just better than what’s in your accessories, you could have both Superior Rune of the Soldier and 6+1 Crest of the Soldier:

+ 249 Vitality (+ 263 underwater)
+ 129 Toughness (+ 143 underwater)
+ 120 Power (+ 140 underwater)

(edited by SharedProphet.9324)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Panzen.4625

Panzen.4625

Yeah you got the wrong tier of items. Crests and gem orbs are 20/14/14, which puts them at 288 stats for the whole 6 armor slots.
That is 73 stats more than the runes. Makes you really question why runes are so expensive since crests are just 2-3 s (well, soldier’s is 40) and orbs are 3/6/9 s (depending on which). However, for some runes like the soldier’s rune the high price is to be expected because they are simply that strong.

Still, before using some mediocre rune, better use orbs or crests. Once you are full exotic, some runes are still worth it, however.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: hedition.7261

hedition.7261

You can’t look at them this way.

Crest/orbs gvies 20/14/14

So six crests/orbs gives 120/84/84
Runes give 165/50 plus a 6th special stat

Depending on your build, if you would give up 84 tertiary and 34 secondary stats for 45 primary stat. I know some would.

Are runes better because they are more expensive? Not neccessarily. It merely reflects the demand. I wouldn’t call runes top-tier items nor crests/orbs inferior.

My ele uses full crests while my warrior uses 6 runes and orbs.

Btw, you can slot crests into back item, trinkets and weapons as well.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

But Superior rune of the Soldier gives shouts heal a condition, that’s just too good to pass up.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Spifnar.4712

Spifnar.4712

In general, rune set bonuses are worth more than a modest increase in stats.

If you want to put a price on the 6-rune bonus, at least one of them clocks in a +100 precision for 6-piece, and Lich is something like +5% of tough = condition damage (which can be a lot more than +100)

25+15+50+35+90+100=315 stats for 6-piece runes
vs
6*(20+14+14) = 288 for 6xorbs

You can do some math and place a stat value on some set bonuses too. Example: +20% might duration

As a warrior, I can run with almost 100% uptime on 10 stacks of might without trying. So 20% of that would be 2 stacks of might, if averaged over a long period of time. 2 * 35 = 70 power and 70 condition damage. If I’m running longbow it’s even more.

TLDR: Many rune set bonuses are worth a lot more than a little bit of stats

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Would be nice if they made an exotic-level of runes stuff. =/

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: captaincrunch.6731

captaincrunch.6731

Superior runes are exotic.