What to buy with 800 gems

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: wumpyc.5167

wumpyc.5167

I’m level 33. I might buy 800 gems for 10€ and i’m curious what should i spend it on?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Black Wolf.7348

Black Wolf.7348

bank space is useful.

However, at lvl 80 you can easily make the in game gold to buy the gems with instead of real money. your choice.

in Black Lion Trading Co

wumpyc.5167

Ok, thanks for you reply then

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Yeah, on average, I make about 5g per sale (stable sales). I do at least 1 sale a day. I can get 800 gems in less than a week of very, very casual playing.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

I would go for bank space. I’m currently at 7 (of 8 i believe) bank tabs unlocked and it’s still quite stuffed. Once you got multiple equips for your chars and don’t want to carry them always with you, space is going to be a problem.

You could abuse twinks as bank space, but i’m a lazy guy and don’t want to switch chars every now and then only to gain access to my items ^^

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Personally I recommend bank space and/or character slots.

Do not listen to the people who recommend buying gems with gold … in the end, you buy gems to support a good game. That’s the main reason. I have 1400 gems I don’t do anything with atm but that’s totally fine with me.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Bank space or black lion keys.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

You could allso buy costumes, if you like roleplaying. Or minis.

Polka will never die

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: The Blue Ace.2850

The Blue Ace.2850

2 bag slots, then buy two 20 slot bags for fractals.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esplen.3940

Do not listen to the people who recommend buying gems with gold … in the end, you buy gems to support a good game. That’s the main reason. I have 1400 gems I don’t do anything with atm but that’s totally fine with me.

I’ve put in over $20 in gems and have the Digital Deluxe edition (from purchase, not gems) of the game. There is, however, a problem with me continually buying gems with real money and that’s that I have to go to school and have no source of income. I also have to provide food for myself, which puts me at a very, very little amount of extra money.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rakuren Kenshou.7689

Rakuren Kenshou.7689

If you’re looking for space I would vouch for buying a character slot instead of bag slots or bank slots.

With a character slot you get…

-More space. If it seems inconvenient, use it to store items you almost never use (boosters, tonics, etc.)

-Another character. Try other classes. They are all pretty fun. Use for PVP only if you don’t want to level him.

-Possibility for birthday loot. In GW1 you were given presents on each of your character’s birthdays. It’s possible that making extra characters now will end up paying off later.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: xxxzavulonxxx.8413

xxxzavulonxxx.8413

Black Lions Salvage Kits are very nice for making coins later on.

[SU]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esplen.3940

If you’re looking for space I would vouch for buying a character slot instead of bag slots or bank slots.

-More space. If it seems inconvenient, use it to store items you almost never use (boosters, tonics, etc.)

-Another character. Try other classes. They are all pretty fun. Use for PVP only if you don’t want to level him.

-Possibility for birthday loot. In GW1 you were given presents on each of your character’s birthdays. It’s possible that making extra characters now will end up paying off later.

Additionally, if you want to do the math:
Character slots are 20 slots with 4 bag spaces that can contain anywhere from 4-20 slots each. (20-100 slots for 800 gems)

Bank tabs are 30 slots for 800 gems.

Bag slots are 4-20 slots for 600 gems.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: somnyus.8914

somnyus.8914

bank space is useful.

However, at lvl 80 you can easily make the in game gold to buy the gems with instead of real money. your choice.

However, he’s lvl 33, at the moment 100 gems cost you 1 gold 60 silver, at that level it’s a lot of gold!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esplen.3940

bank space is useful.

However, he’s lvl 33, at the moment 100 gems cost you 1 gold 60 silver, at that level it’s a lot of gold!

And at level 33, you shouldn’t have a full inventory/bank.

in Black Lion Trading Co

marnick.4305

I’ve put in over $20 in gems and have the Digital Deluxe edition (from purchase, not gems) of the game. There is, however, a problem with me continually buying gems with real money and that’s that I have to go to school and have no source of income. I also have to provide food for myself, which puts me at a very, very little amount of extra money.

I understand, but you should understand that Colin, John, Rubi, Gaile….., their partners and their kids also need to eat. As such you should support people buying gems at all times, even if you won’t buy them yourself. This game has a monthly upkeep and if it’s not paid, it can and will shut down due to lack of funds.

Make sure to finish school, don’t spend too much time in the game, especially not during finals. That way you can buy anything you want (within reason). I just made the last payment for my car today, gems are cheap in comparison

Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esplen.3940

I understand, but you should understand that Colin, John, Rubi, Gaile….., their partners and their kids also need to eat. As such you should support people buying gems at all times, even if you won’t buy them yourself. This game has a monthly upkeep and if it’s not paid, it can and will shut down due to lack of funds.

Make sure to finish school, don’t spend too much time in the game, especially not during finals. That way you can buy anything you want (within reason). I just made the last payment for my car today, gems are cheap in comparison

Let’s say GW2 has 500,000 players.

That means Colin, John, Rubi, Gaile, their partners and kids have gotten $30,000,000 WITHOUT including Gem sales.

My maffs:
500,000[players] * [$]60 = [$]30,000,000

in Black Lion Trading Co

marnick.4305

That means Colin, John, Rubi, Gaile, their partners and kids have gotten $30,000,000 WITHOUT including Gem sales.

My maffs:

Which is next to nothing. Arena.net currently has 270 employees. At a very modest average salary of $3000, which is pretty low for top talent in the industry, that’s $810,000 every month or $9,720,000 per year. Considering the game has been in development for 5 years without any income, that is $48,600,000 of costs in salary just to ship the game. A low ball which does not include server costs, rental of office space, advertisement, expo costs etc etc etc.

I understand that $30,000,000 seems like a lot to a student, but in reality it’s pocket change. If Mike O’Brien doesn’t have $810,000 lying on his desk every single month, he can’t pay his staff. If he doesn’t have $3,000,000 saved up, he can’t go to PAX or E3. Those are very real figures.

(edited by marnick.4305)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: AidanTaylor.3872

AidanTaylor.3872

European Community Manager

Next

… Arena.net currently has 270 employees …

Your math is slightly off as we are over 300 employees now :p

In answer to the OP, I would suggest bag slots and/or bank slots as storage is always useful

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tup.1803

Tup.1803

In answer to the OP, I would suggest bag slots and/or bank slots as storage is always useful

Pwnt and this^. In the future though Ionno if it was stated be seeing as you’re 33 and have 800 gems one can only assume you used RL money, just use gold. It might be way more than it was back in the day, but it’s still a better value. Then again it’s your money and you are free to spend it as you see fit.

in Black Lion Trading Co

marnick.4305

Thanks for clarifying It is case in point though, Mike O’Brien needs about a million dollars lying on his desk every month.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArenaNet => 270 as per the latest verifyable source

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Mike O’Brien needs about a million dollars lying on his desk every month.

I learned from a very reliable source on the internet that he loves to bath in it at least once a day.

in Black Lion Trading Co

marnick.4305

Mike O’Brien needs about a million dollars lying on his desk every month.

I learned from a very reliable source on the internet that he loves to bath in it at least once a day.

That’s good against Alzheimer but I’d suggest blood of virgins for immortality.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sekundes.2376

Sekundes.2376

Additionally, if you want to do the math:
Character slots are 20 slots with 4 bag spaces that can contain anywhere from 4-20 slots each. (20-100 slots for 800 gems)

Bank tabs are 30 slots for 800 gems.

Bag slots are 4-20 slots for 600 gems.

hmm for me its 600 gems for +30-Bank slots
and 400 for each additional Bag slot…
Am I getting special treatment?? :O

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Turial.1293

Turial.1293

A new bag space will cost you 400 gems but is a waste since you still need to equip a bag and it is only one 1 character. Next up is a bank slot for 600, this is your best choice as it is account bound. Finally your extra character slot for 800, if you do not have 1 of each char then I would go for this, you get 5 bag slots instantly which you can put money in through playing to be 20 slots each so this provides you with the most slots, it does however mean you have 1 more alt to search through for items.

My personal preference would be a bank tab

“Some of my best friends are heterosexual”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

The math is also slightly off in that as of yesterday we’ve been told that A-Net has sold 3,000,000 games. Nice Very nice. I don’t think we have to worry about them shutting down any time soon.

Also, minis are fun to play with and you might get lucky on a rare/expensive one.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I would stay away from character inventory slots until you’re certain you’re going to be playing the character longer term.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

I encourage you to purchase the gems for money, as long as you don’t go overboard.

It’s true that making the gold to buy gems is easy, but supporting the game long-term is important. I make it a point to spend at least $20 per month on the game, or what a subscription game would cost.

If this is your first gem purchase, you’ll find a bank slot is the most practical and useful expansion you can buy.

If you want something cool to play with, you can buy a mini-pet pack. Note this has no impact on your gameplay, but is the most toy-ish of all the purchases. If you are wondering what these are, they are pets that you can summon one at a time to follow you around. They never expire, and you can put them in a collections tab when you want to put them away, making them take no inventory space.

The most practical item you can buy is a Black Lion Salvage kit. In some instances, Mystic Forge stones also fall under this category. However, these are most useful for a level 80 character.

What to avoid:

If you are only spending 800 gems, the item I would urge you to steer clear of is the Black Lion Key(s). It is extremely likely you will be disappointed with the results The outfits (Primeval, etc.) are also not very well done as of yet, though I suppose art is subjective. I’m confident ArenaNet will do a better job with these in the future, or at least offer more variety. Most of the boosters are not worth the money, particularly with various nerfs to the overworld map in the past months. Karma booster was formerly a staple for Legendary chasers, but now is relegated to being conditionally useful for karma jug chugging. It is the only one that I could ever rationalize buying.

(edited by LFk.1408)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jzl.8715

Jzl.8715

Oh math, awesome, while we are at it, let’s put together all that we know:

Anet has sold 3million copies, but, let’s just assume that they are sold at 60 bucks, which is an optimistic estimate, since a lot of then are probably bought when the game in on discount and relative numbers for collector/deluxe editions are quite low. That bring us to 180 million dollars.

Now according to credible source there are just over 300 employees at Anet currently, that. Someone assumed a salary of about $3000/month this is simply can’t be true. Because if that is the case, there wouldn’t be a GW2 for us because no one will be working for Anet since that is less than half of the average salary of IT industry, unless they are constantly bribed with free cookies everyday. So based on a $6000 monthly salary and 300 employees, a total of 21.6 million of salary expense needed per year. 5 year development will total 108million dollars (just as a comparison, SWOTOR is said to have spent 200million, which is considered a lot), that only left us with only 72 million. Divide it by that by 21 million, we are looking 3.428571429 years of sustainable business! SHOCKING!!! and that’s as conservative a guestimate as it gets, not including facility fees, NcSoft cut, marketing, free pizza/coffee/cookies and pingpong ball replacements!! So in reality, we’re looking at much less than 3 years before money runs out, and of course, we don’t want that to happen!

So, now, we love our game, what can be done? This is where you come in! Buy gems, coax your friends to buy the game, and then make them buy more gems! Sale your jewelry, sale your car/house/ and pet to support our game!

What are you still waiting for?

Go!

Nao!!!!

[PLUM] – SOR

(edited by Jzl.8715)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: John Smith.4610

Previous

John Smith.4610

When doing math over time, don’t forget to discount future money.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jzl.8715

Jzl.8715

When doing math over time, don’t forget to discount future money.

But on a serious note though, I very curious about the amount of gem sales. But I assume we never get actual data from micro transactions from games.

An of course about future money, I am definitely expecting an expansion later this year:D. Will it be purchasable via gems?

[PLUM] – SOR

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Will it be purchasable via gems?

As cool as that, admittedly, would be, I think they’d definitely want to sell it for $$$, not gems, which can be obtained either through $$$ or gold.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Anet has sold 3million copies, but, let’s just assume that they are sold at 60 bucks, which is an optimistic estimate, since a lot of then are probably bought when the game in on discount and relative numbers for collector/deluxe editions are quite low. That bring us to 180 million dollars.

Now according to credible source there are just over 300 employees at Anet currently, that. Someone assumed a salary of about $3000/month this is simply can’t be true. Because if that is the case, there wouldn’t be a GW2 for us because no one will be working for Anet since that is less than half of the average salary of IT industry, unless they are constantly bribed with free cookies everyday. So based on a $6000 monthly salary and 300 employees, a total of 21.6 million of salary expense needed per year. 5 year development will total 108million dollars (just as a comparison, SWOTOR is said to have spent 200million, which is considered a lot), that only left us with only 72 million. Divide it by that by 21 million, we are looking 3.428571429 years of sustainable business! SHOCKING!!! and that’s as conservative a guestimate as it gets, not including facility fees, NcSoft cut, marketing, free pizza/coffee/cookies and pingpong ball replacements!! So in reality, we’re looking at much less than 3 years before money runs out, and of course, we don’t want that to hapkitteno, now, we love our game, what can be done? This is where you come in! Buy gems, coax your friends to buy the game, and then make them buy more gems! Sale your jewelry, sale your car/house/ and pet to support our game!

Go!

Nao!!!!

I don’t think anet had 300 employees 5 years ago, so the cost of salaries wouldn’t be that high, and i would hope within the next 3 years a full 60$ expansion or 2 would have came out.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esplen.3940

My maffs:

Which is next to nothing. Arena.net currently has 270 employees. At a very modest average salary of $3000, which is pretty low for top talent in the industry, that’s $810,000 every month or $9,720,000 per year. Considering the game has been in development for 5 years without any income, that is $48,600,000 of costs in salary just to ship the game. A low ball which does not include server costs, rental of office space, advertisement, expo costs etc etc etc.

I understand that $30,000,000 seems like a lot to a student, but in reality it’s pocket change. If Mike O’Brien doesn’t have $810,000 lying on his desk every single month, he can’t pay his staff. If he doesn’t have $3,000,000 saved up, he can’t go to PAX or E3. Those are very real figures.

And ANet has sold more than 500,000 copies of the game.

I was using 500,000 for a realistic view on how many sales had occured. 3,000,000 sales is 6x that many, so they have $180,000,000 to pay their staff. (Again, not including Gem sales.)

Honestly, I’d be willing to buy gems with cash if I wasn’t sitting on about $250 as total money for living expenses (minus rent) for the next three months.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Spifnar.4712

Spifnar.4712

I would love to know how many gems ANet has sold. Just out of curiosities sake. Even if it was just the # of gems sold in the first month. /sigh

I know that many guildies bought the 4000 pack early on, with the rationale that without a monthly payment, why not?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Seethman.6524

Seethman.6524

I intend on plunking $10 a month or so down until I don’t want to. Average game enjoyment for me is 3-5 months, but I have hopes that a-net is going to do better!

Having more fun than you is more important than winning the game.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Premium.4075

Premium.4075

Now according to credible source there are just over 300 employees at Anet currently, that. Someone assumed a salary of about $3000/month this is simply can’t be true. Because if that is the case, there wouldn’t be a GW2 for us because no one will be working for Anet since that is less than half of the average salary of IT industry, unless they are constantly bribed with free cookies everyday. So based on a $6000 monthly salary and 300 employees, a total of 21.6 million of salary expense needed per year. 5 year development will total 108million dollars (just as a comparison, SWOTOR is said to have spent 200million, which is considered a lot), that only left us with only 72 million. Divide it by that by 21 million, we are looking 3.428571429 years of sustainable business! SHOCKING!!! and that’s as conservative a guestimate as it gets, not including facility fees, NcSoft cut, marketing, free pizza/coffee/cookies and pingpong ball replacements!! So in reality, we’re looking at much less than 3 years before money runs out, and of course, we don’t want that to hapkitteno, now, we love our game, what can be done? This is where you come in! Buy gems, coax your friends to buy the game, and then make them buy more gems! Sale your jewelry, sale your car/house/ and pet to support our game!

Go!

Nao!!!!

Lot of cool figures, but they receive a lot in gems, soon transfers. I am probably in a small group but I end up spending about £50-60 a month which is nearly $100, the game also cost me £60 which is nearly $100, lot more than US guys. The deluxe is $65 on the official site. Which is $104 in USD. So they make a lot more in some regions.

Then all the collectors, I bought deluxe for the digital download and then i bought collectors separately, so bought game twice XD. All in pounds.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lyenyo.2891

Lyenyo.2891

I’ve personally spent just short of £300 on the this game from gem purchases alone (not all at once, just a few each month). Mainly to buy festive items and slots but also to buy gold with any remaining gems.

Sometimes I do wonder if I should have spent this much on a game or not but to be honest, I’m going to be playing this game for the next few years as MMO releases the past few years have been let-downs.. Guild Wars 2 has no monthly sub and I’ve been having a blast, so I see nothing wrong with supporting a company for providing me an entertaining experience during my free time, I think of it like donations but via the Gem store.

I win because I can use the unwanted Gems to give me a boost in gold each month.
Anet wins because my money is helping the gears stay greased and continue to provide updates/expansions to keep me/us happy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ruufio.1496

Ruufio.1496

Are you people just bad at math or something.

3,000,000 sales X $60 per game = $180,000,000. Obviously not all profit. Not all legal sales. Cost of production, employees, shipping etc. etc. Cut that in half by a whopping 50% and that’s still $90,000,000. 90,000,000 – ~50,000,000 from employee fees = $40,000,000.

You can safely assume that they’ve made at least $50,000,000 profit including gem sales.

(edited by Ruufio.1496)

in Black Lion Trading Co

wumpyc.5167

Are you people just bad at math or something.

3,000,000 sales X $60 per game = $180,000,000. Obviously not all profit. Not all legal sales. Cost of production, employees, shipping etc. etc. Cut that in half by a whopping 50% and that’s still $90,000,000. 90,000,000 – ~50,000,000 from employee fees = $40,000,000.

You can safely assume that they’ve made at least $50,000,000 profit including gem sales.

this^ + whatsoever they deserve to get even more and I hope that there will be even more players joining, comparing it to any other MMO this is the best one.

in Black Lion Trading Co

marnick.4305

A new bag space will cost you 400 gems but is a waste since you still need to equip a bag and it is only one 1 character. Next up is a bank slot for 600, this is your best choice as it is account bound. Finally your extra character slot for 800, if you do not have 1 of each char then I would go for this, you get 5 bag slots instantly which you can put money in through playing to be 20 slots each so this provides you with the most slots, it does however mean you have 1 more alt to search through for items.

My personal preference would be a bank tab

Protip: bank expansion + 15 slot bag is cheaper than a 20 slot bag when buying the 400gems with gold. So if you’re upgrading a 15 slot bag, it may be more interesting to buy another one and put it in an additional bag slot. That’s both cheaper and more effective since you gain +15 slots for ~7g instead of +5 slots for ~15g

in Black Lion Trading Co

marnick.4305

My maffs:

And ANet has sold more than 500,000 copies of the game.

I was using 500,000 for a realistic view on how many sales had occured. 3,000,000 sales is 6x that many, so they have $180,000,000 to pay their staff. (Again, not including Gem sales.)

Honestly, I’d be willing to buy gems with cash if I wasn’t sitting on about $250 as total money for living expenses (minus rent) for the next three months.

I understand But you’re a student, don’t compare apples with oranges. I’m more than happy to carry some of your burden, after all this game is designed so everyone wins. You get cash shop stuff for gold, I get gold for gems. Together we keep the game alive, I can’t do this without you.

I used to live on the same kind of money. We’ve all been in that boat.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Grimm.2906

Grimm.2906

You know, if you buy gems for in-game money, someone still purchased the gems with real-world money in order to be able to sell them to you. It’s basically just a way to buy in-game money with real-world money. ArenaNet is still getting money from the original gem sales.

EVE has had a very similar system for years (except with game-time code items) and it means that some people pay their subscriptions with in-game money while others buy in-game money with real money. Either way, the developers get the money from the sales.