Who buys and sells first on TP?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Deadringers.9047

Deadringers.9047

Q:

Hi guys,

Hoping a dev can confirm this for me…but it really does seem that the 1st person to place a bid on an item is not always the 1st person to get that item?

So you could have a bid for something and then someone else comes along and places a bid “on top of yours” and gets it first?

How does it work?
Many thanks,

Josh

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jia Shen.4217

Jia Shen.4217

I’m not a dev but the system is rather simple with FIFO based on price. So if an item’s sell listing is 20c and has 20 listed and you list one for 20c as well the other 20 will sell before the one you list sells. In the mean time if anyone comes in and undercuts then those sell before the ones that are listed for 20c. Buy orders work the same way. If an item’s buy listing is 20c and has 20 ordered and you make a buy offer for 20c then the other 20 get filled first. In the mean time if orders are placed for more than 20c then those orders get filled first before the 20c orders.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

It is whoever buys or sells first. if there was 200 being sold and you sold 200 more you would need to wait for 200 to sell before it sells your items. i have seen this though trial and error.

i recently proved this when i sold 250 of one item but none of mine sold until the item stock got to 250, as no one added any items to the stock of that price.

i tested the same for buy and it holds true, which begs the question. why dont they make the list of items being sold available on the sell screen. it makes figuring out if you want to wait on a price or sell at the lowest or even if you want to undercut so much easier. the current system just has too little info, you got to run around to figure it out.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: lackofcheese.5617

lackofcheese.5617

What I would like to know is this – what happens if you have an existing buy/sell order, and you add more items to it? Does your listing retain its position in the queue? Does the whole thing get shifted back to the end of the queue?

In my view, neither of these is a good solution. The former is easily exploited to keep yourself at the front of the queue by continually updating your listing, and the latter makes it problematic to order more of something you’re already ordering, without any good reason for doing so.

I’d say that the best way to handle it would probably be not to allow you to add more items to an existing listing.

On that note, the restriction to 250 items per listing is also ridiculous and annoying.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: szar.9054

szar.9054

it goes to the end of your last order/listing

in Black Lion Trading Co

lackofcheese.5617

I know that… What I’m asking is what happens to its position in the queue.

Are you saying that it stays in the same position? That would mean that you can stay at the front of the queue indefinitely by continuously updating your order.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cisza.9540

Cisza.9540

I know that… What I’m asking is what happens to its position in the queue.

Are you saying that it stays in the same position? That would mean that you can stay at the front of the queue indefinitely by continuously updating your order.

Person A puts 2 Copper Ores for 20c each. There’s 2 Copper Ores for 20c on TP.
Person B puts 10 Copper Ores for 20c each. There’s 12 Copper Ores for 20c on TP.
Person A puts another 5 Copper Ores for 20c each. There’s 17 Copper Ores for 20c on TP.
We assume nothing sells in meantime.
After 5 mins someone puts an order for 14 Copper Ores for 20c each. He gets 2 ores from person A + 10 from person B and then another 2 from person A.
After the transcaction there’s 3 Copper Ores for 20c on TP that belong to person A.

Hope that will shed a bit of light on how TP works.

in Black Lion Trading Co

lackofcheese.5617

If that’s how it actually works, then that is good, although I’d say that a couple of things would still need fixing.

First of all, if the two end up being separate orders, why does the “My Transactions” tab combine the two orders into a single order? If they’re actually separate, you should be able to cancel them individually.

Also, when you’re selling items, the third option is called “Add to my lowest listing”. If the two end up at different positions in the queue, then it’s really creating a different listing and so the text is slightly misleading.

(edited by lackofcheese.5617)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cisza.9540

Cisza.9540

Also, when you’re selling items, the third option is called “Add to my existing listing”. If the two end up at different positions in the queue, then that text is misleading and ought to be fixed.

It adds items to your list, so you don’t have to check each time: “Am I putting them at right price?”, but it doesn’t mention anything about a position in que, does it? So how’s that misleading?

in Black Lion Trading Co

lackofcheese.5617

It’s misleading because it refers to them as a single listing, when in fact it’s two listings.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mak.9027

mak.9027

I didn’t see the specific question on “Add to my lowest listing” today, and I ended up opening another topic on that subject (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/Does-add-to-my-lowest-listing-re-enqueue/first#post389167)

Btw it’s misleading also cause it updates the posted time for all of the listings, also those with 250 items already, there’s clearly a bug, either the posted time is wrong or it re-enqueues.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Jia Shen.4217

The listing date and time is probably just a limitation of keeping the total quantity you have listed as a single entry in the items your selling list. It simply is made to be whatever date and time the listing is made. And gets replaced to the newer date and time when listing more. I can tell you that a week or two ago I listed more of something that I had listed days before and the first amount sold then there was a wait of a time before the rest sold. Not this was a very high volume sold item so once the price went up to the price I listed for they were selling fast so if it were as if I had listed them all at the earlier date and time there wouldn’t have been a long delay for the last amount I listed to sell.

in Black Lion Trading Co

lackofcheese.5617

The listing date and time is probably just a limitation of keeping the total quantity you have listed as a single entry in the items your selling list.

In that case, why would the entries end up in different positions in your “My Transactions” selling/buying lists, rather than all together in a single clump?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Jia Shen.4217

In my items I’ve sold list I see multiple transactions for iron ore I’ve sold. I assume this is because there was more than one buyer. I thought that the items I’m selling list chucked them all together for ease of reference. I could be wrong and would have to list iron ore at different dates and times to see for sure. I never payed attention to details on the dates and times at the times of listing.