Why I am not enticed to buy costumes in GW2, but had ALL of them in GW1

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Erm… we got loads of costumes already. Pirate outfit, Cook’s outfit, Sunglasses etc. At least these are costumes to me. Non-stat things that you can wear just for fun. And they do not work as non-storage-hogging unlocks for the account, which was my complaint.

Also, being able to wear town clothes until the very second you take damage is hardly the same as being able to wear them all the time. But as as I said, this is not the main reason why they are not really convenient, and thus not as enticing as they could be.

Totally missing the point, guessing not a guildwars player.

Guildwars; Costumes you buy is unlocked account wide, via visiting Costume NPC and acquiring the costume you bought.
Guildwars2: Costume you buy is account bound and single use. That means if you delete it, its gone and you’ll have to buy it again.

Guildwars: Costumes can be used in combat.
Guildwars2: Costumes cannot be used in combat.

this is what the OP is saying.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

I don’t mind the single use thing at all, but I would love to be able to use my costume in combat. It doesn’t really seem worthwhile if I can only use it when I’m not taking or doing damage (a very small portion of the time).

edit: of course that didn’t stop me from getting the mad king costume, I just couldn’t pass up on that :p

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ironzerg.3196

ironzerg.3196

Why not include a wardrobe in home instance, where you can store different clothing pieces, similar to the PvP Locker? It might even be a step towards getting people to hang out in cities other than Lion’s Arch, and making your home instance something people actually go to.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: dsundmark.1902

dsundmark.1902

yeah if i could spawn all the town cloths/costumes and hats i buy at the gem store i would buy them all, but as it stands now, after i bought the mad king costume I realized I couldn’t wear it in combat, let alone spawn more of them, or even store it with out using storage space i instantly wished i hadn’t, i will keep my open for changes made to this system, cause as it stands right now i don’t want to spend my in game gold or real money on these cosmetics that just get in the way. also i really wish i could at least wear my town cloths hat with my armor . so please consider adding that

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

I bought some gems to up my bank storage and get another character slot, but I have been eyeing the costumes this Halloween as well. The departure from the GW1 method of making them account unlocks that I can acquire at my leisure keeps me from doing it, though.

The HoM vendor proves that it can be done in this game. I’d love to see a similar vendor for hats, costumes, town clothes, whatever.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ShadowInTheVoid.9183

ShadowInTheVoid.9183

Its good to see people all on board with what should be a simple change and the one thing in the game id most like to see changed (it says alot for the game) and i hope ANet realize how many people there out there just waiting to throw money at them for every costume they make as soon as they change this

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

The big killer for me is lack of swiftness while in town clothes.

Now I’m not suggesting that you have perma swiftness anytime you wear town clothes, that’d make people want to keep switching back and forth while out in the world which would be obnoxious.

What I am suggesting is that they give perma swiftness WHILE IN TOWN. When I’m in town I still use various swiftness tools in my skillset to get around. In town clothes I can’t do that, so I don’t wear them.

I know people will say “but the waypoints are free”. I know that. They’re still spaced far enough apart that I have plenty of situations where I want to use swiftness in town, keeping me out of town clothes. Got the free speed boon npcs, yes. Still have to bother going to them though, extra step that you don’t feel like taking in town.

As for the storage issue, the costume npc would be great. If not that for whatever reason, just giving us a big costume only bank tab with 100 slots would go a long way. This isn’t really a big deal to me personally because I’ve bought lots of extra bank tabs. For the average player though, I’m sure it’s another deterrent to get costumes when you want as little deterrents as possible.

(edited by Minion of Vey.4398)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

I only bought 1 because i don’t want to waste storage space.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

i haven’t bought any because there’s not many to choose from and they’re not exciting me. i don’t mind the account thing, to be honest. i don’t want my toons to all look the same anyway.

i’d love a bit more in the way of serious variety (rather than gimmicky). some really cool armour pieces.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

i haven’t bought any because there’s not many to choose from and they’re not exciting me. i don’t mind the account thing, to be honest. i don’t want my toons to all look the same anyway.

i’d love a bit more in the way of serious variety (rather than gimmicky). some really cool armour pieces.

Naturally, these were all gimmicky as they were related to Halloween… But I agree, I’d love to see some more “normal” town clothes… My noble lady would love to have a noble dress!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

oh, not just the halloween ones! things like boxing gloves and some of the town clothes. i’m not much into the idea of “town” clothes. i want to have something i can wear all over the place.

i’d also like some pants. dresses annoy me.

and pants without buttcapes. i’d pay for those.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Twomix.5384

Twomix.5384

I’m incredibly disappointed you can’t use town clothes as battle clothes as well. I like the single costume system in GW1 better.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I’m going to try not to write too much, so just bullet points:

Store
- separate skins from town clothing
- separate seasonal items, limited time offers
- separate skins by armor-type
- don’t sort alphabetically but by type first

(This will be more important once there are more items offered.)

Skins

- more variety
- would love to see a storage system like a wardrobe

Town Clothes

- make them available as skins without the special skills
- more matching items (themes), aviator cap but no jacket etc
- additional items for the themes – e.g. canes to go with top hat, whip or fiery
jumping ring to go with ringmaster’s 1 hat
- again some sort of separate storage/sharing system

1 only entered this to avoid the item name to be censored

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: bpphantom.8243

bpphantom.8243

I also loved the system used in GW1, though as I recall the ability to infinitely replicate the bits came later. I sincerely hope that this is implemented in GW2. Really. I’ll pay 500 gems to unlock this feature for my account. I just don’t want to store ALL of these costumes.
Being able to wear my “cosmetic” or “social” outfits anywhere but in PvP would also be a huge boon for me. I focus on the looks of my characters so much. Transmutations are excellent for this, but it just means I get to 80 before I set my appearance and then hope I don’t find something even better.

I’d need to log in to verify but the previous costs for entire costume sets was $10USD. I’m not certain but I think that 500 gems cost $10, but the costume sets (at least the Halloween ones) cost 700 gems. That doesn’t bother me too much, inflation and all, but it’s no longer as neat and clean as it was.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: wumpusrat.4769

wumpusrat.4769

I refuse to buy any of the costume items simply because they’re single-use, and can’t be used in combat. What’s the point of buying one of the “armor” costumes if you can’t actually use it while you’re out fighting? Or looking like a pirate as you swashbuckle your way through bandits?

If they added a real “wardrobe” tab that you could toggle to adjust your appearance at all times, I’d buy a couple of the costumes real quick. But the way it is now? Heck no. No interest at all.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

If there was a collection tab for costumes I would probably be more inclined to buy them.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Arkenjul.1867

Arkenjul.1867

Why not include a wardrobe in home instance, where you can store different clothing pieces, similar to the PvP Locker? It might even be a step towards getting people to hang out in cities other than Lion’s Arch, and making your home instance something people actually go to.

I dont know how to quote on the forum but I like ironzerg’s idea of having some sort of locker for costume where its account bound. spending almost $10 on a costume is pretty expensive when I want it on multiple characters. since GW2 is all about convenience else i have to keep transferring costume through though the bank.

EDIT: ahh I figure it out after I logged in…

(edited by Arkenjul.1867)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sir Black.7423

Sir Black.7423

I have to agree with the OP and others: The current issues with costume storage and inconvenience of sharing between all my characters definitely act to discourage me from purchasing.

I do remember that Guild Wars 1 originally had the same problem. At first their holiday hat rewards took up inventory space, could be lost, weren’t convenient to share between characters, etc. But after a while they recognized the issue and implemented better ways to manage costumes.

So it’s a bit disappointing that Guild Wars 2 has taken a step back to where costume management is lacking again. I’m expecting they’ll address this someday… but after seeing GW1’s system as well as GW2’s HoM reward skin system, it really feels like some form of costume management should have been a feature from the start rather than something we have to wait for while the inventory woes set in.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

I bought both halloween outfits but only because I saw the witch flying on her broom.

I figured it was going to be the closest thing to an actual mount we’ll ever get.

Then I bought the Mad King because I thought he would do something cool… a little disappointed there.

I probably won’t be buying any more because they are not account wide and I do not feel like constantly using them as town clothes only. It would be nice to have an auto switch toggle to change my clothing any time I am not in combat.

As for armor skins, I would buy more if they created anything that interested me. I do not like dungeon grinds, I do not like farming Karma, I really only like playing the game and dressing my characters in ways I enjoy (and very little in the current armor designs entice my imagination).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tewa.5627

Tewa.5627

1) Shareability: What if the bank Collection included a section just for non-combat clothing? Unlike existing collections which stack items, these items would be binary on/off toggles. When you buy the clothing, the item toggles on permanently. All characters can then access that bank Collection. When a character pulls an item from the bank, it generates a soulbound copy of the item. Destroy it when you’re done with it. The bank Collection item remains there. Simple, yes?

2) Convenience: I wish that the Hero equipment tab included better display toggles rather than just the Armor and Town Clothes options. I’d like to see toggles for Armor, Adventure, Town, and Home. Adventure items overwrite the armor display mesh while out in combat-land, and it can be populated with clothing items or actual armor items (with stats ignored while placed in that slot). Town displays only work in towns, of course. Home displays only work in personal or guild homes, whenever areas like that get added. Managing appearance is a lot easier that way (I used it in EQ2) than with this “skin” item micromanagement.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: M Ham.7509

M Ham.7509

I would like to add my 2 cents re: account unlocks.

I would most assuredly purchase more cosmetic items if they were account wide.

I would also like to see the bank split into character storage and shared storage, this would help with bank space organisation.

Cheers,
M.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ShadowInTheVoid.9183

ShadowInTheVoid.9183

The costume bank idea would be helpful but it would be annoying only having it on one person at a time and having to take cloths of one char to put em on another…….and there always the “what if i accidentally delete it” fear
A HOM type system or general costume vendors like on GW1 would be easyest things and most likely to make us want to get all the costumes and accessorys
I would like to see standard town cloths able to be remade as well for if we destroy those

He’re hopeing this is resolved in an update soon and that everybokitteneping this thread going shows how much this would mean to us all

And just FYI i will be sporting witch’s outfit alot once this is changed

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: coil.3420

coil.3420

i will not buy costumes until there is a costume npc (same as from gw1; accountwide)

i would be tempted to purchase aesthetically pleasing weapon skins if the gem price were reasonable (ie actual skins, not attained through gambling)

i will definitely purchase weapon/armor skins if the gem price were reasonable and there were a skin/fashion NPC (i’d purchase that npc as well; preferably accountwide)