Why I can't use other kind of armour skins

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Renegade.6240

Renegade.6240

e.g : A thief wants to use light armour skins because he believes they are awesome while medium armour skins are just terrible.(exception ofc.)
I don’t understand why this isn’t in the game, in WvW where this could be a problem (it won’t tho ) everyone would understand that that guy with light armour is a guardian when they click on him

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

e.g : A thief wants to use light armour skins because he believes they are awesome while medium armour skins are just terrible.(exception ofc.)
I don’t understand why this isn’t in the game, in WvW where this could be a problem (it won’t tho ) everyone would understand that that guy with light armour is a guardian when they click on him

Oh trust me, they will play this card when they are bleeding players again.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

If I could use the Norn T3 Cultural medium armour on my Warrior, I would be so happy.

Attachments:

in Black Lion Trading Co

Renegade.6240

like I said, this wouldn’t hurt anyone

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

It’s a technical problem, actually. Something in the core design of the armor means that if you mix armor weights the textures and even colors go blooey all over. They’d have to re-create every single piece under a new graphics system to let people wear other weights and that hasn’t been a priority.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Also getting all the armor weights not to clip horrendously with each other would be a nightmare.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Also getting all the armor weights not to clip horrendously with each other would be a nightmare.

To be fair, a lot of armor sets within the same weight class clip with each other anyway, so it’s a bit of a moot point.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I actually think down the road they will open up this restriction, especially since the wardrobe is in place.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Here is an indirect confirmation of why there will probably never be armor mixing. (source)
The thread was talking about mixing Town clothes and armor but this post refers to mixing armors as well.

Bonefield.9813
Snip
Each of the armor weights in the game is constructed differently, which is probably one of the reasons we haven’t seen mixing and matching between different weights It’s also likely the reason we see so many trenchcoats on medium armor—it’s specifically designed to support coats that go over pants.
Snip

Curtis Johnson
“Bonefield has a pretty good understanding here of why some mix and match is not easy at all. Some armor and clothing combinations are fundamentally not mixable, (for more than just clipping reasons)”

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

uhmm, it is possible but you’ll just get spammed with clipping problems, clips but mixable.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

To be fair, even if mixing and matching isn’t possible, I kind of wish we could choose an armor class to wear anyways. Make an Elementalist in Heavy Armor, a Guardian in Light Armor, etc…

in Black Lion Trading Co

sorudo.9054

they can always lock certain armors so they can’t combine with the worst case scenario combo’s, or lock it so that you can wear all armor but only one kind at any time.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Renegade.6240

OK, it would be a problem to mix different kinds of armour, but let us use their skins as a set, ? mean let me use a light armour set as a thief, OK don’t let me mix it with others but let me use the set, this wouldn’t cause any problems

in Black Lion Trading Co

Astral Projections.7320

OK, it would be a problem to mix different kinds of armour, but let us use their skins as a set, ? mean let me use a light armour set as a thief, OK don’t let me mix it with others but let me use the set, this wouldn’t cause any problems

That’s an interesting thought, being able to switch the armor class you are in without switching your profession.

I’m not sure it’s a possibility though. It would depend on how tied together the professions and armor weights are, and if they are somehow tied to skills. How much work it would take to decouple them? Maybe someone with programming knowledge can chime in but my guess it’s not a flip of the switch but that the 2 things are heavily entangled.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

I agree with OP. I want to wear light armor on my ranger.

we can already wear townclothes into battle (and certain tonics) so “they will wear light armor so they don’t look like a guardian” doesn’t apply.

clipping, granted, is an issues. but it’s already an issue. if anything, add a disclaimer whenever you try to skin light and medium that “this could cause serious clipping issues” or just restrict it so if you have 1 piece of X weight, you can only equip X weight and not Y or Z weights.

@astral as long as it’s just the skins, we already basically have it semi-integrated in the game in the form of cash shop items (glasses/hats) and being able to wear town clothes. it would take some work, but it could be done, and it’s widely requested so spending time to work on it wouldn’t draw complaints from me.

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Astral Projections.7320

@astral as long as it’s just the skins, we already basically have it semi-integrated in the game in the form of cash shop items (glasses/hats) and being able to wear town clothes. it would take some work, but it could be done, and it’s widely requested so spending time to work on it wouldn’t draw complaints from me.

From what I’ve read, town clothes are considered a fourth armor class, which is why you can’t mix and match them with the other 3 armor weights. The cash shop items unlock all 3 armor weights when you buy them, which is why you can.

So, it’s not actually semi-integrated at all.

Not that I would object to them making the armor weights and costumes mix and match. I’m just questioning the feasibility and likelihood of it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

ITheNormalPerson.9275

What I mean to say is, that there are already identical skins on each armor class, such as the gem store animal hats. so what they could do is rework the wardrobe system so when you skin over your armor with say, a light piece, it would just use a medium replica of that, that has a boolean that would make it only usable if all the other armor pieces are also light based skins.

as I said, it would take work, but it isn’t something that’s impossible to do, or would take a year and reworking the entire equipment system from scratch

now, I’m not a genius when it comes to coding, but it seems like it’d take 3 variables for each armor class (that are probably already in the code) and every time you try to skin over a piece of armor, it calls that variable up and if it matches all the other pieces, it allows it. The hardest part would probably be making replicas of every skin for each armor class, and I don’t have the code so I don’t know what it’s like, but it could be as simple as copy-pasting.

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

(edited by ITheNormalPerson.9275)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Astral Projections.7320

What I mean to say is, that there are already identical skins on each armor class, such as the gem store animal hats. so what they could do is rework the wardrobe system so when you skin over your armor with say, a light piece, it would just use a medium replica of that, that has a boolean that would make it only usable if all the other armor pieces are also light based skins.

as I said, it would take work, but it isn’t something that’s impossible to do, or would take a year and reworking the entire equipment system from scratch

now, I’m not a genius when it comes to coding, but it seems like it’d take 3 variables for each armor class (that are probably already in the code) and every time you try to skin over a piece of armor, it calls that variable up and if it matches all the other pieces, it allows it. The hardest part would probably be making replicas of every skin for each armor class, and I don’t have the code so I don’t know what it’s like, but it could be as simple as copy-pasting.

It’s hard to find a specific quote where they say why they can’t do this. The best ones I can find also talk about costumes, which muddies the waters.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/21k4j8/curtis_johnson_on_the_town_clothes_issue/
“When we started looking at bringing more of the clothing back into armor with mix and match styles there are some fundamental incompatible things between weight classes. (part of how we set up every armor to allow many dye channels and styles per piece).. There really is no way at this point over six years since we started development to make absolutely everything work together. So we needed something new to continue to grow in the future.”

What he seems to be saying here would argue against an easy fix of the situation.

No doubt there is a way around it, it’s the time, money and effort that it would take placed against the other projects they are working on. They would either have to pull people away from other projects or put this one project on a to do list. If on a to do list, then it becomes a matter of how important it is. My guess is, with the China release and taking care of the new players there, fixing bugs for both the China and NA/EU versions of the game, and the Living Story as well as any other projects they have, that remodeling all the armor and costumes in the game to make them mix and match without major glitches will be low on the list.

in Black Lion Trading Co

ITheNormalPerson.9275

No doubt there is a way around it, it’s the time, money and effort that it would take placed against the other projects they are working on. They would either have to pull people away from other projects or put this one project on a to do list. If on a to do list, then it becomes a matter of how important it is.

and that part is debatable, but in my opinion it would be worth it

in Black Lion Trading Co

Astral Projections.7320

No doubt there is a way around it, it’s the time, money and effort that it would take placed against the other projects they are working on. They would either have to pull people away from other projects or put this one project on a to do list. If on a to do list, then it becomes a matter of how important it is.

and that part is debatable, but in my opinion it would be worth it

Yah, I would love it also. Since with costumes you can mask what armor class you are in, there is no longer the argument against it based on that. And since it’s a game based on cosmetics, it actually, imo, would be a project worth working on, if feasible.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vv W.7821

Vv W.7821

I would absolutely love this if they were able to do it, but I honestly would only use it for one piece of armor on one character… (seer’s mask on a thief)

Redundant Sasquatch – 80 Warrior – [aYe] – HoD

in Black Lion Trading Co

sorudo.9054

the only thing they need to do is releasing the stats from the skins and assign the professions with the stats, that way the armor stat will always be the correct one regardless of skin.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Niipa.9532

Niipa.9532

I agree with moving away from certain armor types being limited to the wardrobe of that type, we should give players more freedom on how their character looks since end game is all based on wardrobe.