Why is the game economy not a priority?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

I understand that Anet might have statistics of the Flame & Frost dye kits being one of the most profitable items ever released. I also understand that they have continuously tried making the same profit by creating other dye kits which were never quiet as popular. However, the decisions to re-release Flame and Frost dyes so soon after the previous re-release with no warnings will completely destroy the market for all temporarily released dyes.

The sudden and unexpected re-release has very negatively impacted two groups of players. First and foremost, there are casuals who made it a goal to save up for their favorite dye and bought them at a peak price, spending the gold it took them many months to save up. Not giving them a warning about a sudden price drop is a serious slap in the face, as they could have saved a vast majority of their gold for their next goal. Secondly, there are players who enjoy trading who have been robbed of an entire market. No traders will ever trust the dye market again due to its volatility; the time between re-releases of dyes should really be much, much longer.

This blatant destruction of an entire market begs two question:
1. If you want the dyes to remain at a price equivalent to their gem price, why not just make them account bound from the start?
2. Does the profit you make from re-releasing the dyes for 3 days outweigh the potential loss of players, or was this just a spontaneous decision that was not ran by the game’s economists?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

I think you’re being a little dramatic.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

tl;dr. but all this talk about dyes, abyss dye for instance is now 42g, when i bought it was like 20g. so the price just doubled in a few months.. why arent these things account wide anyway? I dont wanna spend 100g+ to get a same dye on two chars.

Arun Kar

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cassocaster.4576

Cassocaster.4576

tl;dr. but all this talk about dyes, abyss dye for instance is now 42g, when i bought it was like 20g. so the price just doubled in a few months.. why arent these things account wide anyway? I dont wanna spend 100g+ to get a same dye on two chars.

This. Try and buy Molten…..

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: CaboSoul.1204

CaboSoul.1204

why arent these things account wide anyway?

The guy that manages the TP and gem store, convinced some people in Anet that players should work for it on each character. Of course this makes me want to ask him how do you work for a dye if they are all rng, you aren’t working for the dye then but for the rng. However the answer to that was already given; “the guy that manages the TP and gem store” in other words to make money cuz there are people who are not willing to craft rng nor try to earn the gold in game so they buy gems and trade them in for gold.

(edited by CaboSoul.1204)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

Nobody should be leaving over changes in the dye market… that’s just nonsense. The premium 30+ gold dyes were always a volatile market, they’ve just taken another dip. People who purchased the dyes before the crash in prices may feel a bit ripped off but what they paid must have been worth it to them at the time. The prices will rise again anyways.

Traders should be even more aware of the risks in trading. Traders who invest in only dyes should learn a valuable lesson: diversify your portfolio. Then, when one industry takes a hit, your other investments will keep you safe. If a trader can’t take a hit in a virtual market then why are they trading? There’s no reason to panic and sell at this price. Hell, if they’re so low and so popular maybe it’s a good time to watch their prices and consider buying for when they go up.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

Nobody should be leaving over changes in the dye market… that’s just nonsense.

I believe the people who saved for 6 months to make 300g for a dye which is now going to drop to 50g will be pretty frustrated for having 5 months of progress completely wiped. Those people just might look to switch to another game where progression is safer.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TChalla.7146

TChalla.7146

I believe the people who saved for 6 months to make 300g for a dye which is now going to drop to 50g will be pretty frustrated for having 5 months of progress completely wiped. Those people just might look to switch to another game where progression is safer.

When they paid 300 gold for it, they felt at the time it was worth it. Why would they feel any different now that the same dye is now 50 gold? They got what they wanted.

It’s not much different than buying anything and finding out it was on sale a week later. Sure, there might be a tinge of “why didn’t I wait a week?” But you were still willing to pay what you paid when you paid it. What happens afterwards is relatively inconsequential.

Now if that dye was bought for investment’s sake, then all I have to say is that investing always has a risk. Beware.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

And the people who looked at the trading post and said “that’s a cool dye colour, but 300 gold is an absurd price” are going to be happy now seeing that they can either try to get the dye again from the dye pack, or that the price will drop from the new supply so that they can buy it for 50-75 gold instead.

I honestly doubt that there’s many people in the game who were saving up the 350 gold that Deep Glacial Sky was posted at with the intention of actually using it. The price inflating that far seems like me more to be a circle-jerk of speculation and flipping. Especially given that this isn’t the first time that these dyes have been re-issued.

They’ll be back up there eventually anyway, if the speculators can be patient. Just that in the meantime, people with less gold available will have the ability to get the dyes they want at a more affordable price.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I’m not sure what the topic is about.

If you are kittened because you invest a bunch in to dye and it won’t go up in price, there’s nothing more I can say.

It don’t destroy anything(economy). Just some speculator not making profit.

BTW I invest “alot” and believe me, I mean “alot” in this dyes. I can say I’m not happy but I don’t see anything wrong.

I think it’s quite obvious the dyes are coming back. The question is just when. It came back before, it’s obvious it’ll come back again.

What I think is wrong is those black lion trading items should be permanent. But I think the market strategy is Anet want to give this urge feel so people’ll spend as soon as possible.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

How is 5 months of progress completely wiped? It just makes it easier for other people to get the dye now.

Personally, I think re-releasing dyes helps the economy by keeping their prices in check.

in Black Lion Trading Co

laokoko.7403

If items in black lion company are permanent, this will be a none issue. Which is the best solution.

Unfortunately Anet probably believes(which is probably right) making items temporary will urge people to spend asap and they can keep continuing to release items and repeat the cycle.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I do believe that the OP has confused his personal game economy with GW2’s game economy. No, prices going down on one subset of luxury goods is not a sign of a blow to the game economy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Hey I’m just as disappointed/mad as OP but I don’t think this is a wrong move for the economy.

For speculators such as I, it hurts since our investments have lost value, but our losses have no effect on the economy.

In fact, gem store items are almost always good considering the gold sink it acts as.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I understand that Anet might have statistics of the Flame & Frost dye kits being one of the most profitable items ever released. I also understand that they have continuously tried making the same profit by creating other dye kits which were never quiet as popular. However, the decisions to re-release Flame and Frost dyes so soon after the previous re-release with no warnings will completely destroy the market for all temporarily released dyes.

The sudden and unexpected re-release has very negatively impacted two groups of players. First and foremost, there are casuals who made it a goal to save up for their favorite dye and bought them at a peak price, spending the gold it took them many months to save up. Not giving them a warning about a sudden price drop is a serious slap in the face, as they could have saved a vast majority of their gold for their next goal. Secondly, there are players who enjoy trading who have been robbed of an entire market. No traders will ever trust the dye market again due to its volatility; the time between re-releases of dyes should really be much, much longer.

1. If you want the dyes to remain at a price equivalent to their gem price, why not just make them account bound from the start?
2. Does the profit you make from re-releasing the dyes for 3 days outweigh the potential loss of players, or was this just a spontaneous decision that was not ran by the game’s economists?

1) Anet never said anything about never re-releasing Gem Store items.
2) Speculating on certain items for profit is just that… speculation. You assume prices were go up or remain at a high value. There’s no guarantee an item will retain value. Just look at Gossamer or even Quartz.
3) People do buy things because they feel the item is valuable “to them”. If someone paid 300 Gold for a single dye to use, they made the conscious decision and were ok with that transaction. The market was never destroyed for them, since they got what they wanted.
4) Who quits the game because their investments might lose value? I lost a ton of money on items that value dropped, yet I don’t complain or quit. That’s the nature of investing, in game or in real life. If you can’t handle such heartbreak, you shouldn’t do it in the first place.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Why would it be a priority? It works. There is no blatant destruction of the whole market because of a handful of dyes. Lesson learned …. Anet doesn’t protect speculators, especially if it means they can make money.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

So basically…. you speculated on these and lost?

If speculation was a 100% certain thing it wouldn’t be speculation and it wouldn’t make you money. You win some you lose some, the key is to win more than you lose and thus make a profit.

But for every person that makes a profit it means someone else has to lose the money since the TP is a net negative on total gold.

in Black Lion Trading Co

laokoko.7403

It is kind of hard to loss money on this as long as you bought the dye kit during release day.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

1) Anet never said anything about never re-releasing Gem Store items.
2) Speculating on certain items for profit is just that… speculation. You assume prices were go up or remain at a high value. There’s no guarantee an item will retain value. Just look at Gossamer or even Quartz.

So, in summary, making a lot of money on the TP isn’t as easy and risk free and some folks would have you believe.

Even if you research your markets there is always the chance with each new patch that something will be introduced that changes the desirability of whatever it is you’re speculating on. It doesn’t have to be the re-introduction of gem store items. It could be changes to the game mechanics or the addition of new items that are more desirable substitutes for whatever you’re speculating on.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

So, in summary, making a lot of money on the TP isn’t as easy and risk free and some folks would have you believe.

Even if you research your markets there is always the chance with each new patch that something will be introduced that changes the desirability of whatever it is you’re speculating on. It doesn’t have to be the re-introduction of gem store items. It could be changes to the game mechanics or the addition of new items that are more desirable substitutes for whatever you’re speculating on.

I’m really looking forward to watching the forums burn when the precursor/Legendary updates happen. I figure one of two things will happen:

1: The new method will be too long/expensive/much trouble for most people and everyone who has been waiting for it will bite the bullet and buy the precursors on the TP. Prices will skyrocket and the forums will explode with people priced out of the market.

2: The new method will introduce new Legendaries and/or make existing ones easier to get, leading to a market crash as no one wants to buy the precursors on the TP at their current prices. Speculators and investors will flood the TP with complaints about losing so much money.

Either way, someone is going to be really, really upset.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

1) they did have a warning: the last time they were reissued

2) Then you would want a warning for the warning because after ANet tells people that they will be going on sale “soon” the price will drop and we will be right back where we are now. Then of course you would need a warning for the warning for the warning….

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

I can understand being upset. This is why I don’t speculate and very expensive items. You can lose big.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

I can’t understand being upset… they are time limited dyes, not one time only dyes.

They have been re-released in the past. Nothing was said that they wouldn’t be again.

If you speculate on items you’re taking a risk. Sorry if you weren’t aware of that.

If you wait a few months the prices will go back up again regardless though.

Relax, the sky isn’t falling.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa