Why is the price of Ecto spiking so much?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

Just wondering this, the price has gone up a ton this week. Any reason why?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

check out Reddit and see what they are posting on their forums. They love to speculate over there even if it is completely false info

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: nyeh.4517

nyeh.4517

Can i get a link? Cant seem to find anything about it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mika.9815

Mika.9815

Crafting material prices have spiked a lot recently, and therefore also rare prices go up from which Ectos are salvaged from.

Why? Nobody knows for sure and there has been speculation ranging from Halloween casual players or bots farming less, or less karma farming due to introduction of karma jugs. Or market speculation based on the Anet economist saying he has something coming in the Nov 15th patch for less wanted items.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nephele.5063

Nephele.5063

And everyone just had to speculate on prices right as I’m buying ectos up. I hope the bubble is gone in a couple days, I need about 450 of the things.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: NoOneShotU.3479

NoOneShotU.3479

And everyone just had to speculate on prices right as I’m buying ectos up. I hope the bubble is gone in a couple days, I need about 450 of the things.

There is a change that you are part of a surge of players who now have the money (thanks to candy corn mining and Mad King) to buy end game exotics and they are doing just that.

My theory would fall apart however if they prices of exotics on the TP weren’t rising as well. (Why buy mats to craft with when you can just buy the exotic).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DootmasterX.3025

DootmasterX.3025

I was farming Orr yesterday and everyone in the group was getting gold drops, normally we convert them into ectos. Now the rate you get ectos has gone way down it seems. I salvaged about 12 rares and got only 1 ecto. Therefore now most of us are playing it safe and selling the rares themselves and letting the buyer assume the risk of ecto conversion.

Jack of all trades, master of some.
NSP – [Zos]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Darx.9842

Darx.9842

I was farming Orr yesterday and everyone in the group was getting gold drops, normally we convert them into ectos. Now the rate you get ectos has gone way down it seems. I salvaged about 12 rares and got only 1 ecto. Therefore now most of us are playing it safe and selling the rares themselves and letting the buyer assume the risk of ecto conversion.

This.

Anet ninja nerfed ectos from rares. I’m playing it safe and selling rares because I need the cash.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Oh that speculation 12 rares salvaged = 1 ecto definitely suggest a nerf to Ecto Drop rate o.O. No further testing is needed on the matter.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

People realising the ONLY real market in the game is in legendaries and all getting in on the bandwagon but then droprates not being able to sustain the demand created from possibly stockpiled goods?

Or perhaps players holding back to raise prices cos they’re sick of farming and getting less than they normally would?

TL;DC:

It could be tons of things, you’d have to ask an A-net employee with actual data, and lets face it, they’re not obliged to actually respond to that question

Irony…. xD

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DootmasterX.3025

DootmasterX.3025

Oh that speculation 12 rares salvaged = 1 ecto definitely suggest a nerf to Ecto Drop rate o.O. No further testing is needed on the matter.

Please, spare me your sarcasm.

Just stating my experience on the matter, when I referred to ‘we’ I was talking about the particular group of people that I play with on my server and not the whole market as there’s no way to know what other people’s motives are.

Jack of all trades, master of some.
NSP – [Zos]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: John Smith.4610

John Smith.4610

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

I had different experience today, salvaged about 6 rares got same amount of ectos I usually get no change for me.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Evil.7529

Evil.7529

Ectos are fine, and thanks for nabbing the bots Anet!! I was farming the corrupted lodestones this morning all by my lonesome, not a bot in sight!!!!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Joshmans.8937

Joshmans.8937

I noticed this aswell..

I made 12 weapons a few weeks ago and got back 29 ectos from Black lion kits, tried with 4 yesturday, not a single ecto was given.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

It has to do with the outcome of the recent election. The dollar is now weaker because more money is expected to created out of thin air, the stock market will continue to fall as confidence in consumer spending decreases and as people are move their money into foreign exchanges. Small business and big business will start taking hits on their bottom line and people will lose their jobs. Taxes will sky rocket for everyone except the lazy non-working folk who rely on government hand outs, their lives will remain unchanged and they can continue to spend the money they earn off the books on clothes, jewelry, and gadgets. The employed and self employed will now have to deal with higher insurance premiums, higher mortgage costs, higher gas prices, and higher taxes on top of many other things.

(edited by Theplayboy.6417)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Slic.2406

Slic.2406

It has to do with the outcome of the recent election. The dollar is now weaker because more money is expected to created out of thin air, the stock market will continue to fall as confidence in consumer spending decreases and as people are move their money into foreign exchanges. Small business and big business will start taking hits on their bottom line and people will lose their jobs. Taxes will sky rocket for everyone except the lazy non-working folk who rely on government hand outs, their lives will remain unchanged and they can continue to spend the money they earn off the books on clothes, jewelry, and gadgets. The employed and self employed will now have to deal with higher insurance premiums, higher mortgage costs, higher gas prices, and higher taxes on top of many other things.

Paraphrase:

The average player will suffer MORE instead of LESS, as has been the pattern as time after release went by. I personally will not be affected by this much. However, I’m sure there will be less and less players logging in and doing stuff (which does, actually indirectly affect me). All because of this kind of ridiculous scarcity/RNG in end game items. In fact, if ectos/t6 mats weren’t so scarce, bots wouldn’t even be bothering with them and anet wouldn’t be fighting as heavy a war.

But go figure, anet wants you to grind for hours and get only 1-2 ectos/t6 mats, because they think the avg player will be ok with it, when you require about 2000+ of these for 1 effin skin, and it’s the only endgame…..

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Slic.2406

Slic.2406

May I just add 1 important thing here, hopefully John reads it. The very thing anet is trying to prevent the most in the economy (inflation/gold devaluation) is actually the very thing that has been accelerated, because the mass bot banning was not counteracted with increases in drop rates and decreases in loot DR.

The players still have the same amount of gold as 3 days ago, but now the prices for everything worth buying are 2-3x higher on average. So, we have only 33-50% of the buying power we had 3 days ago.

Needless to say, this is NOT GOOD for players who were saving money to buy stuff, this will set off a lot of alarms and cause a lot more players to give up trying to play the game because of your draconic, grind-oriented standards.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

Erm, why do you guys seem to think this is a grind-oriented game? I understand that in a subscription based game, it makes sense to have a lot of pointless grind and time-killing build in to make the players keep subscribing month after month. That sort of design technique doesn’t make sense in GW2. The design team’s greatest incentive is to make the game FUN so the player is more likely to spend more money on cosmetic items and content. Grind-based content actually works AGAINST Arenanet in a non-subsc game.

That being said, GW2 only becomes a grind if that’s how you choose to play. Going for a legendary ISN’T a grind if you don’t make it one: regular playthrough in WvW and flipping items on the trading post generates absurd amounts of karma/gold/achievments and they’re both FUN. If all oyu do is penitent/shelter farms of course you’re going to feel like the game is a grind and you’re being cheated by market fluctuations: you’ve chosen a BORING and INEFFICIENT way to play the game!

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

in Black Lion Trading Co

NoOneShotU.3479

May I just add 1 important thing here, hopefully John reads it. The very thing anet is trying to prevent the most in the economy (inflation/gold devaluation) is actually the very thing that has been accelerated, because the mass bot banning was not counteracted with increases in drop rates and decreases in loot DR.

The players still have the same amount of gold as 3 days ago, but now the prices for everything worth buying are 2-3x higher on average. So, we have only 33-50% of the buying power we had 3 days ago.

Needless to say, this is NOT GOOD for players who were saving money to buy stuff, this will set off a lot of alarms and cause a lot more players to give up trying to play the game because of your draconic, grind-oriented standards.

Rising prices have made me wealthier. At first it freaked me out, then when I realized the prices were here to stay and not just a spike I was able to see the dips clearer.

I’d much rather make 2-3g for my time spent than 1-2g.

I used to farm metal/wood because those were more limiting than the T5/T6 mats. If you noticed metal/wood have gone down and T5 mats have gone up 3-4×.

Bots never farmed metal/wood heavily.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: nullixin.9462

nullixin.9462

^ Now essentially killing zomb… err, risens > gathering. Funnily any fresh/uncaught bots would make more profits.

Come feed the rain, come further in

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: dirtyklingon.2918

dirtyklingon.2918

the price changes correlate to changes in drop rates, which is most visible with the sudden spike in dye drop rate, followed shortly by a patch (with notes saying it) that severely dropped the rate at which dyes, among many other things, drop.

bots have been being mass banned for weeks now. the more bots got banned, the lower prices got, as there was no longer competition at key farming spots on dps, allowing legit players to get more items, which in turn increased availability of items on the TP, which served to drive prices down.

the previous dropping prices did correlate with bot ban waves. the current rise in prices does not, but does dorrelate with the “dye” patch fiasco.

the change is obvious and dramatic.

i suspect there was changes to more than just simple rates, but rather changes to the RNG procedures involved. it seems to be mostly relegated to orr and possibly frost gorge as well, as the rates in lower level zones, even as high as 60-70(such as fire heart rise) remain unchanged.

who doesn’t love wow clones?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: UrieltheFlameofGod.8643

UrieltheFlameofGod.8643

Erm, why do you guys seem to think this is a grind-oriented game? I understand that in a subscription based game, it makes sense to have a lot of pointless grind and time-killing build in to make the players keep subscribing month after month. That sort of design technique doesn’t make sense in GW2. The design team’s greatest incentive is to make the game FUN so the player is more likely to spend more money on cosmetic items and content. Grind-based content actually works AGAINST Arenanet in a non-subsc game.

Imagine our surprise, then, to find out that the only endgame available is grinding.

in Black Lion Trading Co

NoOneShotU.3479

The end game for the target market is PvP of either sort. Other than being or holding the #1 ladder spot, there is nothing to grind to.

Honestly what are you grinding for? If its a legendary, what are you going to do after you get it, quit?