Will Gold to Gem costs ever be regulated?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Greymantle.9168

Greymantle.9168

Q:

Right now on Yaks bend, the 19 gold is equivalent to 268 gems. That’s not that great for a casual-esk player that doesn’t want to spend real money. I remember when it started out as about 20s for 100 gems. I also remember way way back when Anet had the power to re-regulate the prices of ectoplasm in the original Guild Wars game, so the question is will it ever be regulated, or at least capped. There’s some good stuff in there that I want right now if not sooner, but really it’s either grind a ton of gold, or spend $10 for 800 gems (or 7g10s for every 100 because it went up while typing this head shake) on one, count em, one item.

(edited by Greymantle.9168)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nub.2391

Nub.2391

the price of gem doesnt go up. its the gold value are going down.
its take 20s to buy 100 gems at release and now it take 7-8g to buy 100gems
unless anet make gold crazy hard to get , otherwise , gold price will continue to go down and it’ll be harder to buy any others items, not just gems.

my prediction it’ll hit 10g =100gems soon and continue to like 100g =100gems

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

and it should be capped, gold isn’t as easy to get as you think unless you’re farming for it.
for now, it’s for the farmers and grinders, a casual player will never get enough gold.
heck, i stopped hoping for any exchange, i know it’s the players who ruined it but still, it’s Anet’s responsibility to keep a lid on it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

Of course not. Last I checked it was 1g for an absurd 13gems! This is what they want. It encourages folks to whip out the credit card.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: XanoNymOuS.5407

XanoNymOuS.5407

Gems was never inteded to favour gold —> gems converision afaik, you should be happy the option even exists.

Don’t forget 800 gems will always be worth 10€/$

XyrosFrø

(edited by XanoNymOuS.5407)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Once more from the top …

Gold to Gems is and never was meant to be the primary means to acquire Gems in this game. Gems are the proxy currency of the cash shop and this game’s primary source of income is the cash shop. Having a low gold to gems rate defeats that purpose and would be cutting their own throat.

Gold to Gems is how the currency exchange funds itself for Gems to Gold purchases. This way no gold or gems are created or destroyed by the exchange, merely stored. This way the exchange is self funded beyond the original allotment of gold and gems at launch time. The rates are based on the simple ratio of gold to gems in the exchange. As gems are taken out while gold is added, each remaining gem is worth more and more gold and therefore the rate is higher. If gems are added and gold taken out the reverse is true.

In most MMOs with cash shops, there isn’t a way to acquire cash shop items with in-game currency. We should consider ourselves fortunate that we don’t always have to pony up real money.

I know you don’t want to hear this but the exchange is a reward for players with lots of time to earn in-game coin and little cash as oppose to the other extreme where players have cash but not a lot of game time to earn in-game coin. The exchange also doubles as the legitimate way to buy gold with cash through gems.

But after more than a year of sales and in-demand items the Gem supply has been reduced enough that the rate is now 8.8x higher than just a year ago. This will keep going until players start buying gems with cash and exchanging it for gold enough to counter the players who only buy gems with gold. And it will keep being driven buy sales and attractive offers at the cash shop.

So the choice is yours. Pony up real money to buy those shinny trinkets at the cash shop and/or in-game gold or learn to go without or with a lot fewer purchases.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: SRG.3607

SRG.3607

The problem is that for the same player, a few months ago it was affordable to buy gems with gold (let’s say 6 months ago when you had 35 gems for 1 gold), and now it’s really less affordable for the same player (at this time, 13 gem for 1 gold).

In the meanwhile, gold is not 2.5 times easier to grab.

That’s what is quite “unfair” with this system.

Gold loses money for two reasons : more and more gold farmed by players, and more and more new players (for the now – this will sometimes stop raising), whereas the gems available through gold has (by developper’s choice) a fixed amount.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Dromar.1027

Dromar.1027

Problem is some people have too much money and bloat the exchange.

in Black Lion Trading Co

sorudo.9054

exactly, and that’s why i say they should cap it to around 5G=100GEM.
the some ppl you’re talking about are manipulating the whole system, changing it from casual friendly to hard farmers friendly.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Dromar.1027

exactly, and that’s why i say they should cap it to around 5G=100GEM.
the some ppl you’re talking about are manipulating the whole system, changing it from casual friendly to hard farmers friendly.

Capping it would send a message that they have failed to stabilize the economy but they don’t want the gem exchange to stabilize because its less green in their pocket.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Again, the exchange wasn’t meant for “casual” players, only players who can accumulate large piles of gold through play. This means the merchant class who leverage other players impatience, indifference or ignorance as a means to riches. This includes those who pay for items to salvage and sell the mats or buy lower quality items and play the mystic slot machine for profit.

Yes, the aren’t “adventuring” in the wilderness doing whatever farm of the month to maximize income. But they are keeping the wheels of the TP greased by absorbing excess items and turning them into desired ones or providing immediate coin at prices much higher than a vendor is willing to pay.

And what they do is considered anathema to those who simply use and not participate in the workings of the TP. They are simply making profits that you decided to pass up on when you sold them your stuff than selling it yourself or weren’t willing to wait for someone to sell you an item at what you would be willing to pay. You get some item you don’t want so you take 10s for now rather than waiting for 12s later because you want to buy something you would use now for 10s that you could have gotten for 8s if you were willing to wait. Or you didn’t care if it cost a little more or a little less. Well guess where a good chunk of that 4s difference ends up? In the pockets of those who are willing to do the waiting for you by providing what you want, coin or item, now.

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

Think of it the other way around: exchanging gems for gold will Always lose 1/3 of the gold to gems value. Since gems will keep raising in gold prices, a patient gamer would always have profit in buying gems for gold. Just wait a few months and change them back to gold. Profitable, because the gold value (to buy items) does not drop that fast.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Dromar.1027

Again, the exchange wasn’t meant for “casual” players, only players who can accumulate large piles of gold through play.

The exchange was put in for many reasons, not just for people who play the tp or hoard their money and the biggest reason is for a living market with the ability to combat gold sellers as a nice bonus.

And what they do is considered anathema to those who simply use and not participate in the workings of the TP.

Because its an age old war of the poor vs the wealthy creeping its way into the game and you seriously don’t think those who work the tp and have a wallet fatter than Albert don’t look down on those with less money than they do and think them kittens for viewing it as players just giving them money? Trust me it goes both ways.

In the end the game was preached that it was for everyone, people are just upset that it’s turning into something different than that.

(edited by Dromar.1027)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Think of it this way. Those who play the TP are farming the whole game at once. All servers, all zones at the same time. They farm by proxy letting all the other players do the heavy lifting. But it’s the bulk of those same players who are all right with how much they get selling to high bidder or spending buying from low seller. The concentrating of coin to those who actively work the TP isn’t some nefarious plot or secret cabal who set prices. They are willing to take the risk, monetarily so the rest can buy and sell their items quickly. But since they have the entire game including all servers to work with, they can become quite wealthy skimming their half pennies from all transactions.

As for the exchange sorry that some feel left out. But the game runs on a cash shop. Making it easy for a large percentage of the player population to bypass it is suicide for the game, plain and simple.

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Dromar.1027

Think of it this way. Those who play the TP are farming the whole game at once. All servers, all zones at the same time. They farm by proxy letting all the other players do the heavy lifting. But it’s the bulk of those same players who are all right with how much they get selling to high bidder or spending buying from low seller. The concentrating of coin to those who actively work the TP isn’t some nefarious plot or secret cabal who set prices. They are willing to take the risk, monetarily so the rest can buy and sell their items quickly. But since they have the entire game including all servers to work with, they can become quite wealthy skimming their half pennies from all transactions.

As for the exchange sorry that some feel left out. But the game runs on a cash shop. Making it easy for a large percentage of the player population to bypass it is suicide for the game, plain and simple.

Never said there was a “secret cabal” and the tp was created to stop that and it has been successful in that endeavor because people actually created monopolies in GW1 to manipulate the market. The problem is that they amass gold too quickly, thus upsetting the market and causing inflation and with sites like GW2spidey the risk is not as great as you would think. Mind you that is just a regular theory about the economics of the game and not some crazy kitten conspiracy theory BS. I got no problem with people making money but Anet created a broken system and their ignorance shows in the mistakes they made at launch that caused mass exploitation through the MF and other areas of the game.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

The problem is that for the same player, a few months ago it was affordable to buy gems with gold (let’s say 6 months ago when you had 35 gems for 1 gold), and now it’s really less affordable for the same player (at this time, 13 gem for 1 gold).

In the meanwhile, gold is not 2.5 times easier to grab.

That’s what is quite “unfair” with this system.

Gold loses money for two reasons : more and more gold farmed by players, and more and more new players (for the now – this will sometimes stop raising), whereas the gems available through gold has (by developper’s choice) a fixed amount.

It’s not unfair that players are purchasing gems with gold. That’s how it’s setup.

A few months ago, people ran CoF P1 for ~8g/h before loot with a dedicated speedrun group.

If you take the same ideal of running a dedicated speedrun group, you can finish Arah P123 in ~1 hour, which also gets you ~8g (3.26 + 3.26 + 1.86 = 7.38g) before loot (these numbers also don’t count chest coin which is factored into the CoF P1 speedrun moneys).

After that first hour, you can then proceed to do CoF P12 + CoE P123 + HotW P123 + AC P13 (2 if you have a competent group) + CM P123 + SE P23 + TA P123 with each dungeon taking an hour for all the paths when averaged (since CoF and CoE will be done faster than an hour and AC P2 may put AC over the hour limit).

If you do that (keep in mind, this is with dedicated groups that are meant for speed and/or efficiency, so you’re not just going to be pugging), then you’ll make a total of…

AC: 3/4.5
CM: 3
TA: 2/4
SE: 2
CoF: 2
HotW: 2/3
CoE: 3
Arah: 7.5
Total: 22.5/27

Not to mention an additional 26s per run, making the total become…
+ 19 * 26 (or 22 * 26) =
Total: 27.44g/32.72g
The entirety of this will take somewhere between 6-8 hours, depending on efficiency, meaning you’re making 3-6g/h depending on how many paths you get done and how fast.

At the current rate of 6g91s per 100 gems, you’re making, at best, $1 per hour.

I personally get most of my gems by purchasing through gold. I purchase during the week and when new items haven’t appeared. If you purchase on the weekend, the rates may be slightly higher due to every weekend having a sale (yeah, there’s always a sale even if it may be useless to you). If I absolutely need something, I will not use only dungeons to get my money. I will flip, I will convert, I will craft, I will sell, and I will get the gems that I need for what I want.

But in no way are Gems being controlled by an evil mastermind that isn’t Arenanet because that would take hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of thousands of gold to be able to propel the rates to go up. Have you noticed while tweaking the numbers down to the silvers and coppers that suddenly you have to go up by a silver or so? That’s because someone else just purchased a lot of Gems through Gold.

tl;dr: The most efficient way (in terms of effort AND speed) of making gold (and gems) in GW2 is to get a [part time] job and convert gold to gems or, illegally, purchase gold through third party websites. I do not recommend the second choice.

Note: I don’t have a job, but I enjoy “grinding” for money via dungeons. I enjoy running Arah with pugs. I enjoy running CM with pugs. I enjoy walking around doing what I want with no care for money. Then when I hit ~50g+, I find something I want to purchase in the gem store, and boop, back to <10g I go.

Find what works for you, but don’t blame the system because it doesn’t cater to you.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hell Avenger.7021

Hell Avenger.7021

it simply meant “Gold” base’s growth rate is faster than Gem’s. I mean it is reasonable development, with all those champ bags and relatively easiness of running dungeon for 1 gold each path.

This also means, gold sinks are not counteracting the new gold growth effectively. I personally think the biggest reason is that there is simply not enough gold sinks, because most of cosmetic items are gem purchases. You could argue that gem act like a gold sink, but if someone is unwilling to exchange the gold for the gem due to high exchange rate then it has no gold sink effect.

To Op’s questions, I doubt it. Floating exchange rates is designed to show relative value. Unfortunately, gold is losing value COMPARE to gems. More importantly, this is in Anet’s favor…. no go buy some gems using your credit card

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I’m curious. Why do people feel they’re entitled to cheap Gold → Gems exchange (for no real money), when there are players who pay real money for theirs?

Anet added this exchange not only a Gold Sink, which is healthy for the in game economy, but also a way for players to have access to the Cash Shop without spending cash. Basically, those players are enjoying the benefits of Gems for free, and they still complain?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

as someone who exchanges gems→gold, I love it

(and you can thank people like me for keeping the gold→gem exchange as low as it is)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

I’ve got to admit, even as someone who personally prefers to spend gold for gems rather than buy them with real world dollars, this whole “hurting the casual” argument is hilarious. I mean just listen to yourselves. What are you actually saying? Should COSMETIC items meant to differentiate those who support A.Net and GW2 by either buying gems or playing the game for hours on end be easily accessible to those who show up once a day for 20 minutes?

Why shouldn’t there be a differentiation between what is accessible for those who either put in the money or the effort versus those who don’t?

When the average player trading gold for gems is willing to pay the current price for the gems (That’s the only way the gold price of gems actually goes up), why shouldn’t that be the gold price of gems?

Grow up you self entitled shmucks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esplen.3940

As a player who grinds for hours to get those fancy cosmetic things for fun, I agree with the previous four posts.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

Right now on Yaks bend, the 19 gold is equivalent to 268 gems. That’s not that great for a casual-esk player that doesn’t want to spend real money. I remember when it started out as about 20s for 100 gems. I also remember way way back when Anet had the power to re-regulate the prices of ectoplasm in the original Guild Wars game, so the question is will it ever be regulated, or at least capped. There’s some good stuff in there that I want right now if not sooner, but really it’s either grind a ton of gold, or spend $10 for 800 gems (or 7g10s for every 100 because it went up while typing this head shake) on one, count em, one item.

dude yes, 20 silver for 100 gems, those were the days !!! I wish I knew back then how it’s gonna get, if I knew back then, all I would’ve been spending my money on was gems

Are you Shpongled?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I did know back then how much gem price would go up. I still chose to not buy a lot of gems, and here’s why:
at 40s -> 100 gems, I could buy 100 gems for ~10% of my net worth
at 6g -> 100 gems, I could buy 100 gems for ~0.1% of my net worth
those first few gold are really hard to get when you start playing from nothing.
In the first few weeks of me playing, the price rose from about 30s to 60s. I saw the pattern, knew how gems changed price, and knew that always more people will spend gold for gems instead of money, so it will always go up.
I guarantee that if Anet doesn’t change anything, gem price will continue to go up on an exponential curve. looking at spidy, I’m estimating the price will double every 6 months. you mark my words: 100 gems will cost 14g on May 1 2014 (today is 11/5/13).
The reason I’m not buying a hoard of gems now is because I expect that when gems are at 14g -> 100 gems, that 100 gems will cost 0.01% of my net worth

(edited by Mystic.5934)

in Black Lion Trading Co

sorudo.9054

let me make this really simple, if the exchange was never made to be casual friendly then the game should never be advertised as such.
also, if the exchange was never meant to be the primary way of getting gems then they should never have added it in the first place.

so the choice is really simple, ether cap the gold→gem price to 1G=100GEM or remove the whole system.
the game is advertised as casual friendly, make it as such.
if Anet doesn’t want to lose money, don’t add an exchange system, it’s your own kitten fault.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

let me make this really simple, if the exchange was never made to be casual friendly then the game should never be advertised as such.
also, if the exchange was never meant to be the primary way of getting gems then they should never have added it in the first place.

so the choice is really simple, ether cap the gold->gem price to 1G=100GEM or remove the whole system.
if Anet doesn’t want to lose money, don’t add an exchange system, it’s your own kitten fault.

Casual friendly doesn’t mean you are entitled to CASH shop items. The fact that you seem to believe is pretty pathetic.

Also gem to gold was meant as a way for casuals who have less time to be able to leverage real world money to be able to get in game cold, not the other way around. The point being they aren’t looking to do you any favors.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

so the choice is really simple, ether cap the gold->gem price to 1G=100GEM or remove the whole system.

So your solution is to remove a system that other players can use and benefit from, remove the legit way to convert cash to gold, all because you can’t use it.

It doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to realize that a game whose monthly source of income is a cash shop isn’t going to provide a way for most players to avoid paying cash to use it. I don’t remember ArenaNet ever promoting the exchange as anything other than what’s on the tin, an official way to buy gold with cash and gems with gold. They never said it would be a good deal.

Attachments:

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

What is a casual? A casual is a player who plays the game for short segments of time, not a player who is grinding hours on end. GW2 has to be the most casual friendly MMO I’ve ever played.

Fast, easy leveling? Check.
Easy access to end game stats? Check.
Availability of end game content to solo players? Check.

To a casual who wants fancy looking gear, the gem system is great. It’s people who are NOT casual and are actually trying to GRIND gems that do not benefit as much from the gem system.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

So tell me, how is the “casual” susposed to get the gold fora Vulcanus? or Whisperblade? or any of the other 1-200g psudo-legendary items? Most casuals I know love the gem→gold exchange as it lets them look boss without having to spend 30h a week grinding gold.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

a volcanus or whisperblade is not required to play, especially for the casual player.
casual players never expect bis gear, why should they expect best-cosmetic gear?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Greymantle.9168

Greymantle.9168

A lot of these answers are pretty much non answers, since they aren’t from any Anet source lol. But like it was said, if you can’t work it both ways it shouldn’t be in the game. Seems to me that you have all these people feeling like it’s the cat’s kitten when really they had nothing to do with it. I fondly remember seeing teams of human rangers running circles farming. You know what they were called boys and girls? Bots. In every game sure, but it sure hurt the little guy a year or so down the road. As it was stated above somewhere had I known it’d be like this, I would have hoarded gems like they were going out of style.

I supported the original Guild Wars games. Bought every one, plus the imp gem and the Grenth outfit. Cost about $15 in total both to look cool all the time, and to have a good function. GW2 stuff doesn’t seem like it’s worth real cash since costumes are on only half the time, so really why not have the option to pay half the cost lol. Don’t try to feel like a victim when you choose to spend real money. That is more facepalm worthy than the casual expecting the free trade option to be reasonable. Great you can buy gold without buying it illegally for your legendary/achievement, pay to win and all that, but it sure punishes the ones that’d like that new costume that only shows up if you’re out of combat lol.

(edited by Greymantle.9168)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esplen.3940

a volcanus or whisperblade is not required to play, especially for the casual player.
casual players never expect bis gear, why should they expect best-cosmetic gear?

But they can get BiS gear in GW2 with little to no effort. Now they want to make it pretty. I mean, they can’t complain that getting BiS is too hard, so what should they complain about in their spare time instead of being on GW2?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Syeria.4812

Syeria.4812

So tell me, how is the “casual” susposed to get the gold fora Vulcanus? or Whisperblade? or any of the other 1-200g psudo-legendary items? Most casuals I know love the gem->gold exchange as it lets them look boss without having to spend 30h a week grinding gold.

I know this is going to really really blow your mind here but:

The “casual” could buy gems and convert them to gold! Amazing news on that front, the increase in gold/gem makes it even easier for casuals to get these items as well. It’s almost as if this system [gasp] favors “casuals!”

Edit: Replied to wrong post so yes, I’m agreeing with you Imperatora

in Black Lion Trading Co

sorudo.9054

So tell me, how is the “casual” susposed to get the gold fora Vulcanus? or Whisperblade? or any of the other 1-200g psudo-legendary items? Most casuals I know love the gem->gold exchange as it lets them look boss without having to spend 30h a week grinding gold.

hmmm, and since when did i talk about gem→gold?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

I like how some people think the yare entitled to gems if they earned gold and that the price should be normalised to be more affordable for them. The exchange is just an extra feature for those who have excess gold and want to buy gems with or vice versa a legal way to buy gold with real money. The system made for the players to balance it out themselves, normalising it to a certain rate would mean Anet has to infuse the system, losing out on gem sales themselves.

[DONE]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

It probably is regulated. It just dont’ mean it is regulated to be cheaper.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

If you think about it, the players are actually self regulating the prices. If Gold → Gem exchanges are in demand, and players are willing to pay the prices, the per Gem costs will increase. Then players like me will come in and exchange Gems → Gold because the rates would be very good. That in turn helps to bring the exchange rates of Gold → Gems lower.

in Black Lion Trading Co

laokoko.7403

^ You’ll spend another essay of text telling people how player control and set the price.

I remind you I use the word regulate. I didn’t use the word control or set. Since you are really sensitive to the wording. Or maybe I should use the sentence the supply of gem store item or motivation to convert gem to gold is regulated.

It’s like people like using the word manipulate or investing on this forum. Eventhough they are techincally the same thing.

Like I said on another topic. People arn’t discussing weather price should be self regulated by whatever economic model. People are discussing weather or not Anet should step in to make gem price cheaper so it is easier for people to get gem store item without over farming or spending real cash.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

Anet regulate the price. And yes, the current 7 gold per 100 is extreme.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shadowsong.4820

Shadowsong.4820

Well Anet could counteract this by gifting every player in the game an amount of gems that is too low to buy literally anything in the store. Many people would feel forced to convert their gems to gold and .. voila. That would still be wierd and unreasonable.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Anet regulate the price. And yes, the current 7 gold per 100 is extreme.

Turn the question around. How much gold would you want to get for a dollar? Is 4 gold enough, is 5 gold? What about 50s?

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

The only way Anet is regulating prices is by controlling the gold tap and what’s offered in the store. If players didn’t have so much gold to burn for some desirable item at the store then they wouldn’t convert gold to gems and the exchange rate wouldn’t rise.

People are overthinking the exchange. It’s a very simple system and until players start converting the other way the rate climb will accelerate past 10g per 100 by New Years.

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

sorudo.9054

a good exchange system would be 1:1, if the gem to gold go’s higher then gold to gem has to go lower.
for now we don’t have one exchange, we have two completely different rated and until that’s made as one, this system will go the wrong way one way or another.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

^ You’ll spend another essay of text telling people how player control and set the price.

I remind you I use the word regulate. I didn’t use the word control or set. Since you are really sensitive to the wording. Or maybe I should use the sentence the supply of gem store item or motivation to convert gem to gold is regulated.

It’s like people like using the word manipulate or investing on this forum. Eventhough they are techincally the same thing.

Like I said on another topic. People arn’t discussing weather price should be self regulated by whatever economic model. People are discussing weather or not Anet should step in to make gem price cheaper so it is easier for people to get gem store item without over farming or spending real cash.

To me, regulation means control. Anet’s formula is static since day one. The exchange rates are determined by the movement of the Gems and Gold in the pot.

If the conversation is about Anet making things cheaper for people, then we’re moving into the realm of “entitlement”. If the conversation is about who can effectively determine rates, it would be the players. It’s all self adjusting, as when the exchange rates get too wacky, the opposite exchanges will be made to bring down the rates.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

It’s to ANet’s advantage to have a high gold-to-gem conversion because:

1. It suppresses gold farming by providing a better value to Players trying to buy gold
2. Reduces the ability to buy gems using in-game gold which results in more players buying gems with RL money.

I imagine there’s some ceiling where it starts to become disadvantageous. Example: If you get 1,000,000 gold for a 100 gems then nobody would need to continue to buy gems to get gold because you get so much gold in the conversion. However if such a ridiculous conversion was in place then the economy would probably be in a horrible state due to inflation.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Madora.9340

Madora.9340

the price of gem doesnt go up. its the gold value are going down.
its take 20s to buy 100 gems at release and now it take 7-8g to buy 100gems
unless anet make gold crazy hard to get , otherwise , gold price will continue to go down and it’ll be harder to buy any others items, not just gems.

my prediction it’ll hit 10g =100gems soon and continue to like 100g =100gems

It seems people have forgotten what inflation is and I’ve got to hand it to GW 2 for allowing inflation and deflation into their economy. I mean, the company needs to make money somehow and if inflating the economy eventually gets people to buy into the system, well, so be it. If you guys want gold prices to go back down to 20 s = 100 gems, you need to convert gems into gold rather than vice versa. It’s simple, really.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

1. It suppresses gold farming by providing a better value to Players trying to buy gold
2. Reduces the ability to buy gems using in-game gold which results in more players buying gems with RL money.

I imagine there’s some ceiling where it starts to become disadvantageous. Example: If you get 1,000,000 gold for a 100 gems then nobody would need to continue to buy gems to get gold because you get so much gold in the conversion. However if such a ridiculous conversion was in place then the economy would probably be in a horrible state due to inflation.

By then, it would have cost 1,300,000 Gold to get 100 Gems. But that hypothetical situation won’t happen, because there is a finite amount of Gems in the pot, and thus there is a ceiling as to how high the exchange rates get. I’m not sure how close we are to getting to that point, as no player knows how many Gems were put into the pot from day 1.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

I view the Gem market like the Options Exchange. When you sell options the transaction happens immediately, regardless of whether there was a buyer or not. This is the closest match to what ANet has set up ihmo.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Madora.9340

Madora.9340

[/quote]

If it’s 1,000,000 gold, we run the risk of going all Diablo 3 and having a broken economy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

laokoko.7403

To me, regulation means control. Anet’s formula is static since day one. The exchange rates are determined by the movement of the Gems and Gold in the pot.

If the conversation is about Anet making things cheaper for people, then we’re moving into the realm of “entitlement”. If the conversation is about who can effectively determine rates, it would be the players. It’s all self adjusting, as when the exchange rates get too wacky, the opposite exchanges will be made to bring down the rates.

That’s why I use the sentence “the supply of gem store item or motivation to convert gem to gold is regulated”.

It’s like the last topic. You spend all the time talking about economic. When really the complaint is about “skins and gear take way too long to acquire for some people”.

People are complaining it take much longer to get gemstore item with gold now. Since the exchange rate are much higher than before.

No one is even discussing the things you are discussing. Oh player set the price. People are not discussing about the price but the difficulty to acquire items.

in Black Lion Trading Co

laokoko.7403

By then, it would have cost 1,300,000 Gold to get 100 Gems. But that hypothetical situation won’t happen, because there is a finite amount of Gems in the pot, and thus there is a ceiling as to how high the exchange rates get. I’m not sure how close we are to getting to that point, as no player knows how many Gems were put into the pot from day 1.

That’s why I never get what you are talking about. The guy is discussing the “best rates” to maximize Anet’s profit. For example a legendary cost 1500 gold. If exchange is high it does motivate people to buy gem to convert. But at the same time Anet could potentially make less money because the guy need to spend less real life cash to buy a legendary.

And you spend too much time emphasizing players set the price. Which is true. But the difficulty to acquire item have an influence on price too. Take for example, the government can’t set the price of american stock. That’s set by the buyer and seller. But the price of stock do go up or down depend of QE and interest rates which is controled by the government.

A house where I live is 2 to 3 times more expensive than house in other country. Because the house/land tax you need to pay is really low relative to the standard. If government have the guts to raise tax, the house price will burst. Obviously the price is set by buyer and seller. But the governemnt does have a influence on the housing price.

(edited by laokoko.7403)