Will Gold to Gem costs ever be regulated?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

To me, regulation means control. Anet’s formula is static since day one. The exchange rates are determined by the movement of the Gems and Gold in the pot.

If the conversation is about Anet making things cheaper for people, then we’re moving into the realm of “entitlement”. If the conversation is about who can effectively determine rates, it would be the players. It’s all self adjusting, as when the exchange rates get too wacky, the opposite exchanges will be made to bring down the rates.

That’s why I use the sentence “the supply of gem store item or motivation to convert gem to gold is regulated”.

It’s like the last topic. You spend all the time talking about economic. When really the complaint is about “skins and gear take way too long to acquire for some people”.

People are complaining it take much longer to get gemstore item with gold now. Since the exchange rate are much higher than before.

No one is even discussing the things you are discussing. Oh player set the price. People are not discussing about the price but the difficulty to acquire items.

I was just presenting different points of view that people might actually be trying to talk about. If it’s just about acquiring items easier or cheaper, then the argument turns to the road of “entitlement”.

So yeah… just trying to steer the people to the right direction that the conversation should be headed.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I was just presenting different points of view that people might actually be trying to talk about. If it’s just about acquiring items easier or cheaper, then the argument turns to the road of “entitlement”.

So yeah… just trying to steer the people to the right direction that the conversation should be headed.

Regardless if the topic is about entitlement. It does take “much longer” to acquire gemstore item now compare to before.

The forum is never about making people think you are right. But it is about expressing yourself. I can express myself, but that don’t mean you need to agree with me.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

you know what i really find funny, that the price is high is ok but i would’ve expected the price to be equally as high as the actual gem store quality.
all it has is overpriced junk with an occasional useful thing that is removed 3 weeks later, if the store had actual good stuff for sale i could understand the high price but for now it’s more a market about “i need gems” instead of “i want something from the gem store”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s to ANet’s advantage to have a high gold-to-gem conversion because:

1. It suppresses gold farming by providing a better value to Players trying to buy gold
2. Reduces the ability to buy gems using in-game gold which results in more players buying gems with RL money.

I imagine there’s some ceiling where it starts to become disadvantageous. Example: If you get 1,000,000 gold for a 100 gems then nobody would need to continue to buy gems to get gold because you get so much gold in the conversion. However if such a ridiculous conversion was in place then the economy would probably be in a horrible state due to inflation.

By then, it would have cost 1,300,000 Gold to get 100 Gems. But that hypothetical situation won’t happen, because there is a finite amount of Gems in the pot, and thus there is a ceiling as to how high the exchange rates get. I’m not sure how close we are to getting to that point, as no player knows how many Gems were put into the pot from day 1.

Yea there’s a ceiling. At some point the ratio will be all the gold in the exchange for the last 100 gems. Divided by 0.85. They may actually deduct the gems first before calculating the rate in which case it’s infinity. Divided by 0.85.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

Regardless if the topic is about entitlement. It does take “much longer” to acquire gemstore item now compare to before.

And there you have it. Your argument boils down to “I can’t get gemstore items fast enough.” Here’s the thing. The gemstore items are:

1. Entirely cosmetic – You don’t NEED them to play the game
2. Meant to create revenue for A.Net

If there was no gem-gold exchange at all (Which is how things are in the majority of games with cash shops), that would still be fair. Here, A.Net has given you a way to get gemstore items even if you’re not spending real dollars, and you’re complaining that you’re not getting enough of it fast enough.

To illustrate your situation, I shall direct you to a story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Dc1ZBJB3U

in Black Lion Trading Co

laokoko.7403

And there you have it. Your argument boils down to “I can’t get gemstore items fast enough.” Here’s the thing. The gemstore items are:

1. Entirely cosmetic – You don’t NEED them to play the game
2. Meant to create revenue for A.Net

If there was no gem-gold exchange at all (Which is how things are in the majority of games with cash shops), that would still be fair. Here, A.Net has given you a way to get gemstore items even if you’re not spending real dollars, and you’re complaining that you’re not getting enough of it fast enough.

To illustrate your situation, I shall direct you to a story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Dc1ZBJB3U

I hope you arn’t talking to me, because all I said was people are complaining. I didn’t say I was complaining.

And it’s not so much about Anet want to make money. It’s about why price is high now but not before.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

All I know is that if/when the exchange rate hits 100 gems for 10g, it’ll be “Zaxares gets his Emperor title” day.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Syeria.4812

Syeria.4812

It’s a little disturbing to look at what people apparently think the word “regulate” means.

Anet regulates the gem market. They establish the rules, they completely control the market, they establish the methodology for rate adjustment, they control the creation of new currency (and thus inflationary/deflationary pressures vis a vis gold value), they control the tax rate. Ultimately, there’s nothing about the gold to gem conversion that isn’t regulated. “Regulate” doesn’t mean “force to be cheap.” In fact, generally regulate implies the opposite.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

It’s ultimately a game design issue. Anet has failed to include appropriate gold sinks into their updates.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

When really the complaint is about “skins and gear take way too long to acquire for some people”.

It takes 45 seconds, buy gems, buy item.

Done.

Really, what is so hard about this? Now, if you are complaining about how long it takes you to get something for free that other people are paying for, THAT is entitlement.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

When really the complaint is about “skins and gear take way too long to acquire for some people”.

It takes 45 seconds, buy gems, buy item.

Done.

Really, what is so hard about this? Now, if you are complaining about how long it takes you to get something for free that other people are paying for, THAT is entitlement.

Get off it Imperatora — nobody hears what you are saying because your delivery sucks.

FYI — time isn’t free so your argument is asinine.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I understand who laokoko is trying to say. And yes, everyone has the right to express themselves and their opinions. What I’m saying is that if someone’s opinion is that they’re “entitled” to stuff, they’ll always be wrong. Thus I try to get the conversation back to a more appropriate course.

So the main OP concern is that he doesn’t like the fact that the exchange rate is dynamic. He’d like the prices to be set, so they don’t get expensive for him. To which I’ll say that everything is working as intended. So let’s move the discussion to the topic of how great it is to have the option to convert in game currency to Gems.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

I understand who laokoko is trying to say. And yes, everyone has the right to express themselves and their opinions. What I’m saying is that if someone’s opinion is that they’re “entitled” to stuff, they’ll always be wrong. Thus I try to get the conversation back to a more appropriate course.

So the main OP concern is that he doesn’t like the fact that the exchange rate is dynamic. He’d like the prices to be set, so they don’t get expensive for him. To which I’ll say that everything is working as intended. So let’s move the discussion to the topic of how great it is to have the option to convert in game currency to Gems.

To which you actually say to him, “sucks to be you”.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Roybe.5896

Roybe.5896

Everyone appears to forget the exchange rate is the relationship between gold and the supply of gems purchased in the store that are available for resale on the market. The shorter the supply of gems, the higher the price. The more supply of gems the lower the price. If people stopped selling their gems on the exchange there would be no exchange.

Also the demand for gems would do the same thing…..high gem demand higher prices, low gem demand low prices. Better timing for purchases will stretch your in game gold.

Yes, one day you might go to the exchange and have a ‘no gems available message’. The mat markets in GW1 used to have this happen all the time.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

Reality sucks. We can’t have everything we want the moment we want it. If I blow my monthly game budget on something and days later a limited time item is added that I want too, it sucks. I’m not going to demand that the price be lowered to the few gems I have left that month though.

The reality of any economy is that most people will not be able to afford everything they desire, whether they’re spending real money or virtual money.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

in Black Lion Trading Co

sorudo.9054

Reality sucks. We can’t have everything we want the moment we want it. If I blow my monthly game budget on something and days later a limited time item is added that I want too, it sucks. I’m not going to demand that the price be lowered to the few gems I have left that month though.

The reality of any economy is that most people will not be able to afford everything they desire, whether they’re spending real money or virtual money.

however, a game economy has more to do with time spend rather then gold gained, you get allot more money by simply having a ton of time while ppl who actually need to work and have a family to take care of have little time to get what they want.
so in your logic, someone who works hard has to get less then the spoiled kids who have plenty of time to waste.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

It’s a little disturbing to look at what people apparently think the word “regulate” means.

Anet regulates the gem market. They establish the rules, they completely control the market, they establish the methodology for rate adjustment, they control the creation of new currency (and thus inflationary/deflationary pressures vis a vis gold value), they control the tax rate. Ultimately, there’s nothing about the gold to gem conversion that isn’t regulated. “Regulate” doesn’t mean “force to be cheap.” In fact, generally regulate implies the opposite.

Post of the thread, ladies and gentlemen.

Just to add though, remember the Gem/Gold conversion rate is meant to be a compromise between players who don’t wish to spend money, players who wish to spend money, and Anet itself.

however, a game economy has more to do with time spend rather then gold gained, you get allot more money by simply having a ton of time while ppl who actually need to work and have a family to take care of have little time to get what they want.
so in your logic, someone who works hard has to get less then the spoiled kids who have plenty of time to waste.

This is why the Gem/Gold exchange exists, so that people who can’t spend as much time in-game can convert time spent out of the game into in-game rewards.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Pandemoniac.4739

however, a game economy has more to do with time spend rather then gold gained, you get allot more money by simply having a ton of time while ppl who actually need to work and have a family to take care of have little time to get what they want.so in your logic, someone who works hard has to get less then the spoiled kids who have plenty of time to waste.

This is why the Gem/Gold exchange exists, so that people who can’t spend as much time in-game can convert time spent out of the game into in-game rewards.

What Ursan said.

You can either spend money or time. Gem prices in money are fixed. The exchange rate for gold->gems represents how much in-game time/effort is worth not having to spend $1.25 on 100 gems or how much $1.25 in gold is worth to not have to spend the time to most of the market.

The way folks calculate the value of their time or their money or their gold is unique to their tastes and circumstances. For me, it’s easier and more enjoyable to earn $15 than 50 gold, so I prefer to spend real money on gem store items.

If the price of something makes everyone happy, there’s some hidden cost that someone doesn’t realize they’re paying.

—Paul Williams

in Black Lion Trading Co

sorudo.9054

i can spend nether of them, my income is simply to low and the exchange is going way out of hand.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Pandemoniac.4739

i can spend nether of them, my income is simply to low and the exchange is going way out of hand.

I’ve been there – I’ve actually been in circumstances where there was no money for Internet or games. It doesn’t last forever.

I’m not sure that some folks not being able to buy stuff in the gem store is a reason to change the game mechanics for everyone.

—Paul Williams

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

And it’s not so much about Anet want to make money. It’s about why price is high now but not before.

Hm?
I am quite sure that everything in the gemstore costs exactly the same as it did back at release.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Well I guess you are SOL then. They couldn’t cover all the bases and players like you are left without a chair to sit in (yea! mixed metaphors).

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

If people are felling left out of the Gems, the solution is simple … Anet makes EVERYONE pay a monthly subscription fee …

Let me guess … people QQing about the cost of gems don’t want to pay a monthly fee to play either?

in Black Lion Trading Co

laokoko.7403

Hm?
I am quite sure that everything in the gemstore costs exactly the same as it did back at release.

But the exchange rate is different. That is why people are complaining.

An item that take say 4 hours to farm would take much much longer. since the exchange rate goes up so much.

You don’t hear many people complain about gem rate before when exchange is cheap right?

People like to call that inflation. But of course John Smith will come out and say inflation have nothing to do with it.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

You don’t hear many people complain about gem rate before when exchange is cheap right?

People have always complained about the gem rate. Despite the fact that Anet didn’t have to set up an exchange and could have just milked the money cow for all it was worth. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone seriously say “I love the exchange rate, it’s just perfect right now.”

Either they complain that they only get X gold for Y gems, or they complain that they have to farm X gold to get Y gems. The numbers don’t matter, they are never satisfied with where it is. It’s only in hindsight that they say “I guess 2 gold for 100 gems wasn’t so bad after all, now that it’s 6/100.”

So, invent a time machine, go back 13 months into the past and show your past self some screenshots of the exchange as it is now. Tell him to farm his butt off and buy gems with the gold and he’ll be rich come 2014.

Or, you know, do that now and wait six months, then sell the gems back to the exchange for 30 gold per 100 gems.