bank and bag slots -> ripoff

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cyto.9401

Cyto.9401

hello,

i recently calculated something people might be interested in knowing.

at the current gem buy prices (47800c / 100 gems) i calculated that:
bank tabs: 95s60c per item slot, 28g68s total
bag tabs: 95s60c per item slot, 19g12s total (assuming bags cost 0c, eg fractal bags)

on sale (-20%)
bank tabs: 76s48c per item slot, 22g94s40c total
bag tabs: 76s48c per item slot, 15g29s60c total

now lets compare this with the other way of storing items: guild banks. if you were to make a guild just for you, and get all the influence buying drinks for the city (20c per 1 influence) you would pay:
guild stash: 2500 influence, that is 5g total, or 10s per item slot
treasure trove: 21500 influence, that is 43g total, or 28s67c per item slot
deep cave: 52500 influence, that is 105g total, or 42s per item slot

(treasure trove also contains the guild stash, so 150 slots total. the deep cave also contains the treasure trove and guild stash, so 250 slots total.)

conclusion, cheapest way of storing items: getting as much solo guilds as you can, and get just the guild stashes.
OR get one guild with 250 slots, all for yourself, by just spending 42s per item slot by getting every guild storage upgrade. even if you do it like this, you are still A LOT cheaper then the bank and bag slot prices.

and ofc by far still the cheapest way to store items (also the most tedious) with the tremendous price of 0c per slot, mailing items to a friend asking said friend to just hit the “return to sender” button.

seems you pay a lot of money for convenience..

anyway, do with this what you will, but i like to think that the wait for the guild bank slots are worth the tremendous price difference. also consider that most people seem to expect the gem price to go up even further in the future.

Cytos-..

ps. if i made a calculational error i sure will look like a fool now wouldn’t i :P

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Well each of them has different uses.

A lot of people are part of actual guilds so they don’t have room for banking guilds. Some people don’t want banking guilds simply because they feel it violates the purpose of a guild.

Bank is a storage that you can only send specific items to and have limited access to from the field. It’s not gonna be much use for storing food that you use every 30 minutes or WvW prints that you’re putting out while in WvW.

The inventory is the closest space that you have. It’s also the storage that sees the most traffic by far, both via selling stuff and sending collectibles to the bank.

The point is that while you can compare the absolute values of a storage, there are other factors to consider. For example, I found that my inventory was getting filled with stuff during Scarlet’s Invasion, mostly of gear rather than collectibles, so I had no choice but to get more bag space. Some people like to run with a lot of stuff in their inventory, so for those people bag space is more important than banking space. Some players hoard stacks and stacks of collectibles, so for them bank space is top priority.

Also, bag space doesn’t have a constant value either. I would wager that most players run with 8 or 12 slot bags, meaning that upgrading to 15, 18 or 20 might be cheaper than getting any expansion.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

You cant put account or soulbound stuff in guildbanks which limits its use.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Bag space is far more valuable in that it’s the stuff that you carry with you, so you don’t have to run to a city or use a consumable to use it.

As for the bank tabs vs guild storage, I definitely agree with you there. Although I would split up the stash, trove, and cave into 50, 100, 100 parts to look at separately rather than 50, 150, 250. So it’s actually
Guild stash- 50 slots- 10s/slot
Guild trove-100 slots- 38s/slot
Guild cave- 100 slots – 62s/slot

This is important because the guild storage can only hold tradeable items, so at the cave you might want to reconsider whether you want that or a way hold all items.

Lastly, you’re forgetting about mule characters. They cost twice the gems of the bag slot, but give 20 slots and 4 bags worth of space. If you continue to use fractal bags, that’s basically 40% of the price, making it roughly ~30.6s a slot.
More realistically, you’ll probably buy four 15 slot bags for at 60s each, making it a total of ~33g for 80 slots, or ~41.23s a slot. As a plus, it can hold account bound items

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

Fortunately you’re not required to purchase any of these.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

Also, if you have a private guild bank just for you and you accidentally “stand-down” from that guild, you lose everything. Support will not and can not do anything to help you. I have a personal guild bank that I share with 2 very close “real life” friends, we are all officers with the permissions to change each others ranks. I am the actual guild leader and if I accidentally drop my-self from the guild, they can re-invite me.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Navzar.2938

Also, if you have a private guild bank just for you and you accidentally “stand-down” from that guild, you lose everything. Support will not and can not do anything to help you. I have a personal guild bank that I share with 2 very close “real life” friends, we are all officers with the permissions to change each others ranks. I am the actual guild leader and if I accidentally drop my-self from the guild, they can re-invite me.

That’s not true, you actually have to quit to lose everything.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

you forgot one:
Character Slot Expansion for 800 gems = 38g24s00c for 80 slots = 47s80c per item.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

Ohhhh Thanks goodness I share mine with a close personal friend too, I could see myself accidentally doing that too. I have made him a leader as well.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

That’s not true, you actually have to quit to lose everything.

You are correct, but the issue is still there if you are the only guild member.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Navzar.2938

^It’s still there, but just not as likely since to quit you have to confirm leaving like you would destroying an item.

More importantly, it means you can still be in another guild while having storage guilds.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

you forgot one:
Character Slot Expansion for 800 gems = 38g24s00c for 80 slots = 47s80c per item.

This is actually going to be my next step now that I already have both a private guild stash and several extra banks & bag tabs….

(I prefer to diversify).

…though I don’t think I’m going to do it with gold—>gem conversion.
I hate to say it, but I’m really starting to get tired of making “chinese sweatshop wages” in this game like it was some SOE propery, to get stuff that european or american residents gets for 1 hour of work. I like a challenge, don’t get me wrong, but I know where to draw the line as well.

I don’t even have to make the $10-$20 doing something I hate, I could just as easily do something I like/find equally challenging (graphic illustration for one…)