class change kit

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pecar.1236

Pecar.1236

is there any way to have this kit in Gem store?

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

No. Too difficult to code and quite unfair.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

This might be the one game I’ve played where I’d like to see this.

Just due to the ease of leveling a char to 80 but the extreme amount of time that can be spent on cosmetics.

Would be nice for long term players with a lot of time investment in cosmetics that want to switch mains. Course some stuff on your new profession wouldn’t be usable anymore but you could weigh that in your decision as needed.

It’s something I would probably use a year from now. In reality though, just making more of the high time commitment things we get (Legendaries etc) account bound on use rather than soulbound on use would be more desirable imo.

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

I’d prefer a way to level alts faster.. I mean its nice with the first two or three chars, but then it gets really old.. I’m trying to get my fifth to 80 and it’s such a chore, I can’t take it for more than an hour a day anymore..

so you’re a programmer? being one myself I would’ve assumed that would be quite an easy feature to implement.. it’s nothing more than changing one variable, resetting skills (weapon and normal) and traits as well as unequipping all gear in case the new class uses a different armor set.

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I’d prefer a way to level alts faster.. I mean its nice with the first two or three chars, but then it gets really old.. I’m trying to get my fifth to 80 and it’s such a chore, I can’t take it for more than an hour a day anymore..

so you’re a programmer? being one myself I would’ve assumed that would be quite an easy feature to implement.. it’s nothing more than changing one variable, resetting skills (weapon and normal) and traits as well as unequipping all gear in case the new class uses a different armor set.

I’m not a programmer but I briefly dabbled in it in university. And an MMO is much more complicated than what they teach.

Let’s see some of the problems that arise:
-what happens to class specific weapons/armor? Yes you say to unequip – but what happens if the character’s bag slots are full?
-what happens to skill learning progress? Where is that information stored?
-what happens to your skill points that you invested in skills and utilities? And if they are refunded, what happens to those skill points if you spend them on items in game (i.e. forge). Do you get refunded those skill points back when you switch to your original class, thus becoming an exploit?

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Minion of Vey.4398

I’m not a programmer but I briefly dabbled in it in university. And an MMO is much more complicated than what they teach.

Let’s see some of the problems that arise:
-what happens to class specific weapons/armor? Yes you say to unequip – but what happens if the character’s bag slots are full?
-what happens to skill learning progress? Where is that information stored?
-what happens to your skill points that you invested in skills and utilities? And if they are refunded, what happens to those skill points if you spend them on items in game (i.e. forge). Do you get refunded those skill points back when you switch to your original class, thus becoming an exploit?

In order to do a class change, you can’t be allowed to have anything equipped.

Skill learning progress? weapon skills? You class changed, it is lost.

Skill points you spent on utilities are refunded to you. Skill points you spent on anything else are not.

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Atrethos.5672

Atrethos.5672

I agree, no matter how much it will cost to change profession/class many who have invested time in their main characters will do it. Arena Net has nothing but to gain from this. Put a high price in gems to change class and that will bring big income for them.

“We are gods in the making..”

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kantharr.2308

Kantharr.2308

If you do this then it will change the personal story COMPLETELY. Maybe make it a requirement where you have to beat your personal storyline in order to use the kit.

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Minion of Vey.4398

If you do this then it will change the personal story COMPLETELY. Maybe make it a requirement where you have to beat your personal storyline in order to use the kit.

Switching could just reset the story and let you make those character creation choices again.

You don’t get anything doing the story again worth doing it for monetary gain vs the time put in, so it wouldn’t really matter.

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Phoenixfudge.5290

Phoenixfudge.5290

If you have the money, you can just craft to 80 with a new character.

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TehGear.8702

TehGear.8702

Yeah you can craft a char to lvl 80, but that involves to spend time on doing it.
And the op wants to avoid spending much time on it, as far as i can tell.

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Havana.8625

Havana.8625

I’d have no problem with this, but I would prefer a race exchange. I know there are personal story issues, but they could always allow it for those who have already completed their PS.

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success.
(Please no gear treadmills, Colin!)

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

Let’s create a game where everybody can put in no time and get everything there hearts desire. Jeez. Just level your alts with crafting if you already are bored of leveling alts… If that takes too long then you are incredibly lazy. I don’t know what else to say. Leveling is already really easy… have any of you played other MMOs? This is already faster and easier in every way.

And also, coding this would be a HELLSTORM. Don’t think for a second that this is just “change a variable and wazam it is done”. There are bugs with skills that are so minute but they can’t just have some number changed because that has so many other implications that it isn’t funny. This would be the hardest feature I can imagine them adding in and they still have MANY other things to work on.

Sorry for being offensive if I was, but the laziness of some people and the naivete just irks me greatly.

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Darx.9842

Darx.9842

This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever read on these forums.

If you don’t want to level the class, don’t play the class.

So what you’d like to do is, example: Mesmer is too hard to level pve so you just level warrior to 80, then use a kit to switch it to mesmer? Thats the biggest boo-hoo-crybaby-I-suck-at-this-game-make-it-easier suggestion ever.

(edited by Darx.9842)

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Oranisagu.3706

So what you’d like to do is, example: Mesmer is too hard to level pve so you just level warrior to 80, then use a kit to switch it to mesmer? Thats the biggest boo-hoo-crybaby-I-suck-at-this-game-make-it-easier suggestion ever.

wow, you must’ve only read 1 or 2 threads then? and never proof-read anything you wrote yourself?
I don’t think class change is the way to go, but leveling IS incredibly tedious, and there’s no reason for it to be tedious. it’s not like it’s hard or anything, it just takes time.
It is better to level a class than to change to it on lvl 80 in regards of experience how the class and its skills work, but I see no reason not to shorten the time for the n-th alt. like the 20% more exp infusions. cool idea if it would work for alts.
but please, when you’ve leveled chars of all classes to 80, please come back here and tell us again how stupid we are for wanting a break in the tedium called leveling.

@vol: yeah, dabbling a bit might give you an idea of how it works, but without having some experience it’s very hard to accurately predict the time it takes to do something… I’m not saying this WILL be an easy change, but claiming it’s complicated without further knowledge is very uninformed, especially if you deliver it as fact in your post (there was no ‘I think’ or anything, you stated your opinion as if it were pure fact). it could be either, and from personal experience changing a simple value usually only has a manageable list of side-effects (like you said skills, equip etc), the question is mostly, how long the trail of side-effects gets.

(edited by Oranisagu.3706)

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Darx.9842

Darx.9842

wow, you must’ve only read 1 or 2 threads then? and never proof-read anything you wrote yourself?
I don’t think class change is the way to go, but leveling IS incredibly tedious, and there’s no reason for it to be tedious. it’s not like it’s hard or anything, it just takes time.
It is better to level a class than to change to it on lvl 80 in regards of experience how the class and its skills work, but I see no reason not to shorten the time for the n-th alt. like the 20% more exp infusions. cool idea if it would work for alts.
but please, when you’ve leveled chars of all classes to 80, please come back here and tell us again how stupid we are for wanting a break in the tedium called leveling.

@vol: yeah, dabbling a bit might give you an idea of how it works, but without having some experience it’s very hard to accurately predict the time it takes to do something… I’m not saying this WILL be an easy change, but claiming it’s complicated without further knowledge is very uninformed, especially if you deliver it as fact in your post (there was no ‘I think’ or anything, you stated your opinion as if it were pure fact). it could be either, and from personal experience changing a simple value usually only has a manageable list of side-effects (like you said skills, equip etc), the question is mostly, how long the trail of side-effects gets.

Leveling is NOT tedious if you enjoy the class and the game.

Like I said. If you don’t like the class, don’t play it.

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

Yeah you can craft a char to lvl 80, but that involves to spend time on doing it.
And the op wants to avoid spending much time on it, as far as i can tell.

Doing each crafting profession to 400 takes ~6 hours if you just crank it out. Using buy orders you can get everything you need for all of the professions for ~50g

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

class change kit

in Black Lion Trading Co

Oranisagu.3706

Leveling is NOT tedious if you enjoy the class and the game.

Like I said. If you don’t like the class, don’t play it.

I could now say something about the dumbest things I’ve read on these forums…

repetition = boring = tedious
leveling has nothing whatsoever to do with how much I like a class or not. I loved playing with my 3rd alt (necro) but leveling him to 80 was a chore. I also like my engi but getting him to 80 strained my endurance.. it’s just boring as hell and I only wanted to get the chars up to 80 to do dungeons with something else than my two mains (ele & warri).

I want to actually PLAY with an alt, not level him for at least 60 hours until I finally can enjoy some fun gameplay (like dungeons) with him. and doing dungeons with sub-80 chars is neither fun nor effective.
at least in pvp I can try out a few builds, but the time spent there doesn’t help me get a char to 80, so it’s wasted as well…

thats why I insist that some form of speeding up leveling for alts is necessary. we’d still have to get the necessary skillpoints, and I don’t propose insta-80, but cutting down leveling an alt to say 20 hours (like in, if anybody still remembers, gw1) would in no way negatively impact other players or the game but would make it a lot more fun for people who like to switch their class every so often depending on mood.

(edited by Oranisagu.3706)