economy totally broken

economy totally broken

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

Gold ingots are being sold for ~2 silver coins each, while some hairdresser contract is worth more in gold than I weight… I mean, wtf?!

Signed, level 1 alt

economy totally broken

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

because gold ingots cant change your hairstyle

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

economy totally broken

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Miliko.5480

Miliko.5480

Viserys Targaryen disagrees.

economy totally broken

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Gold ingots are being sold for ~2 silver coins each, while some hairdresser contract is worth more in gold than I weight… I mean, wtf?!

Assuming you’re serious, the price of any item depends on supply and demand. Gold ingots are in decent supply, relatively low demand, and easily farmed, hence the relatively low price.

The infinite-use hairstyle item is in tiny supply, not easily farmed, and in high demand by a narrow subset of people, many of whom have money to burn. Hence: incredibly high price.

In a broken economy, something else would be true.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

economy totally broken

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jorvych.3064

Jorvych.3064

I was hoping this would be a post about the gold-to-gem/gem-to-gold differences. not that I’m mad, I kinda understand the idea behind it, but buying one hundred gems for an average of 13g and then selling your gems for an average of 9g seems a tad lame to me.
am I missing something? can someone please explain how gems work again so I can understand this better?

economy totally broken

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Just because the prices of items are counterintuitive, this does not mean the economy does not function.

Point of fact is that “copper ingots”, “silver ingots” and “gold ingots” cannot be used to craft coins in the game, even though this would work in the real world.

This is not a failure of the in-game economy. The failure is in verisimilitude between the game world and the real world.

economy totally broken

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

I was hoping this would be a post about the gold-to-gem/gem-to-gold differences. not that I’m mad, I kinda understand the idea behind it, but buying one hundred gems for an average of 13g and then selling your gems for an average of 9g seems a tad lame to me.
am I missing something? can someone please explain how gems work again so I can understand this better?

The conversion rate gold→gems is less favourable than the conversion rate gems→gold. As you noted, this difference is rather steep.

There could be many reasons for this. I can think of a few possible ones:
- It serves to discourage people to buy gems with gold, and encourage them to spend real money if they want gems.
- It prevents people gambling on fluctuations in the gems<→gold conversion rates, which could be unwanted to preserve the integrity of the value of both currencies. (Especially gems, because these represent a real-money value that should remain relatively stable.)

economy totally broken

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

“Stuff I want costs more than I want to spend! Fix it!”

Now then… the question about the gold/gems exchange… it keeps currency speculators from buying gems when the cost in gold is low (like a Monday before a content update) then turning around and selling them for a huge profit when the cost in gold spikes (such as a Tuesday when new content is added).

Really, if you could spend 500g on gems, wait a day or two, and sell them back for 700g, people would be constantly messing with the exchange and ruin it for everyone.

economy totally broken

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The difference between the two rates is exactly 85% squared. Basically gold going in and coming out appears to get the same 15% gold sink that a TP transaction gets.

The difference also helps encourage the true purpose of sell gold for gems and that is spending those gems in the Gem Shop rather than gems be some kind of commodity that can be traded like an item on the TP.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

economy totally broken

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Naranek.3467

Naranek.3467

Viserys Targaryen disagrees.

Okay, I hate that series, but that was really funny…

economy totally broken

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

Actually the more “broken” thing is being able to buy gold ingots for only a couple silver…….

economy totally broken

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Let’s think about this logically. In the real world, I get haircuts for about $20 (or $30 if it’s more important and I go to the better place). The Permanent Hairstylist Contract gives you an unlimited amount of haircuts. To be generous, let’s assume these are the cheaper $20 haircuts. $20 x infinity = infinity.

What have we learnt? Anyone setting a price on the Permanent Hairstylist Contract is drastically undervaluing it.

economy totally broken

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

@Olvendred

And how do you explain selling gold ingots for 2 silver??? Why there is no option to make gold coins out of these?

Signed, level 1 alt

economy totally broken

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

@Olvendred

And how do you explain selling gold ingots for 2 silver??? Why there is no option to make gold coins out of these?

50 ingots make a gold coin, problem solved, please close this topic.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

economy totally broken

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

YEAH!!! and whats up with linen being 2 times the cost of silk!!!!!!

economy totally broken

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

@Olvendred

Are you asking ANet to introduce counterfeiting currency?

economy totally broken

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

Let’s think about this logically. In the real world, I get haircuts for about $20 (or $30 if it’s more important and I go to the better place).

We’re simply using the wrong comparison values, guys. Just try googling Greece and haircut.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.