gems : 1€ =/= 1$

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Antarion.6230

Antarion.6230

Why russian players can buy 800 for 10$ while european players must trade them for 10 €.
It’s ~ 23% more.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

what is the minimum wage over there?

I know in the US it is about 7.50-8.00 dollars an hour.

What is it in Euros?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wazabi.1439

Wazabi.1439

same reason why Aussies have to pay more for most game compared to US. Probably due to trade agreements and/or something else. Why does it even bother you?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wolfgang Michael.8217

Wolfgang Michael.8217

Because it is unfair. There are exchange rates that needs to be taken into consideration when doing a transaction such as this. Its not like we are all born with riches!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RetroSamus.9860

RetroSamus.9860

I agree with the OP this does not make any sense. People that use the Euro pay a lot more then people that use the Dollar. I know this sounds greedy, but the Euro has a higher value then the Dollar so the ones that buy with Euro’s should get more then the one with Dollars.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wazabi.1439

Wazabi.1439

I originally come from an asian country where the US currency is 3 times as strong as mine…so maybe they should lower it for my home country to be fair? Also, since everything needs to be “fair”, then the price should be adjusted by the Purchasing Power Parity of different country then?

Like I say, it’s probably due to some regional trade policy thing. I don’t think a company would prefer to trade in different currency as it adds complication and currency risk.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

EU countries need to add VAT on top of all digital purchases. ANet’s service is in Frankfurt so they probably use Germany’s VAT, which is 19%.

USD prices are generally without sales tax.

One – Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Antarion.6230

Antarion.6230

I originally come from an asian country where the US currency is 3 times as strong as mine…so maybe they should lower it for my home country to be fair? Also, since everything needs to be “fair”, then the price should be adjusted by the Purchasing Power Parity of different country then?

Like I say, it’s probably due to some regional trade policy thing. I don’t think a company would prefer to trade in different currency as it adds complication and currency risk.

I didn’t say that they should use the lower currency.

i say : use an accurate exchange rate.

if it’s 10$ for 800 gems it should be 7.7 € for the same amount (or 8, i’m not that greedy) or 1000 gems for 10€

EU countries need to add VAT on top of all digital purchases. ANet’s service is in Frankfurt so they probably use Germany’s VAT, which is 19%.

Do you have any source to support this ?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Easlay.3297

Easlay.3297

VAT is a tax u have to add when chaning from euro to dollars.
no matter what, u have to add to prices showed in $ for find out how much in € costs

[OSC] Easlay Koorst – Thief
Sfr

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

One – Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: grishnakah.5168

grishnakah.5168

I live in Australia. When I purchase gems, I get charged more than what I should. One example is when I bought 1600 gems for $20USD, I got charged $20.17AUD. I know it’s very little, but because the store lacks a $30 option, I had to buy $10 worth afterwards. I was unable to do so because that 17 cents extra charge from the last purchase left me with $9.83, voiding my ability to purchase the 800 gems. This is rather silly, considering the Australian Dollar is buying more over the US Dollar. So where I was charged $20.17 for 1600, I should have been charged $19.15. Can ArenaNet or NCSoft (whoever is in charge of the gem store) please explain this?

Sources:
http://themoneyconverter.com/AUD/USD.aspx
http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=20&From=USD&To=AUD

Just another Australian with one of those cool Australian accents and cool Australian alcohol.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Boogna.5019

Boogna.5019

you can always just change country’s, or buy things in a differnt currantcy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: MeTx.6712

MeTx.6712

10 USD is about 7 euros, so I don’t see the problem with just changing the prices…

It’s literally just integers in the code that need to be changed…

Ranger: My Main Man Ray

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ZionNow.2138

ZionNow.2138

This. However that’s not the whole truth. USD sales have a VAT but they usually don’t show them on the price tag.

Prices in the EU have to show this VAT tax already in the price tag, while in the US they get added during the sale itself. So while the gem shop SHOWS a price tag of for example 10$, during the sale itself VAT is added, so that makes for example 13$ depending on the rate of VAT.

I won’t do the math now but the difference after currency exchange between the EU price and the US price is only a few cents.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: John Smith.4610

John Smith.4610

I won’t do the math now but the difference after currency exchange between the EU price and the US price is only a few cents.

This is correct. Our publishing is out of England, so we have a 20% VAT across the board on all EU sales. The difference is just inclusive vs exclusive taxation.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

I believe Brazil should get cheaper gems….

pretty please?

meh 10$ (20 reais) for 800 gems is fine anyways.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

Your logic only works if Anet had absolutley no workers or serves in EU territories.

Yes the Eu is stronger than the dollar but the product your are buying comes with costs in Eu.

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Imspecial.3206

Imspecial.3206

This is correct. Our publishing is out of England, so we have a 20% VAT across the board on all EU sales. The difference is just inclusive vs exclusive taxation.

Ok can you then explain why the UK pays more than EU….

10 EUR is not 8.50 GBP. Its much nearer to 8 GBP. 8.1 EUR if you want to round to a decent number, really you should be charging us in EUR and letting our banks do the exchange rate for you to save you having to change gem pricing if the EUR:GBP ratio changes drasticly. Charging us 5% extra on gems is a little unfair.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: MrPappa.7269

MrPappa.7269

I live in Australia. When I purchase gems, I get charged more than what I should. One example is when I bought 1600 gems for $20USD, I got charged $20.17AUD. I know it’s very little, but because the store lacks a $30 option, I had to buy $10 worth afterwards. I was unable to do so because that 17 cents extra charge from the last purchase left me with $9.83, voiding my ability to purchase the 800 gems. This is rather silly, considering the Australian Dollar is buying more over the US Dollar. So where I was charged $20.17 for 1600, I should have been charged $19.15. Can ArenaNet or NCSoft (whoever is in charge of the gem store) please explain this?

Sources:
http://themoneyconverter.com/AUD/USD.aspx
http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=20&From=USD&To=AUD

The final amount you get charged in AUD depends on your bank.
I purchased 1600 gems for $20.00 USD, which is exactly what my credit card was charged for. My bank converted this as $19.47 AUD (rate is usually on par with the xe.com rate) and charged me a 2.5% currency conversion fee ($0.49).
Total gem cost = $19.96 AUD.

If your bank is giving a horrible exchange rate don’t blame ANet.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Syn.3459

Syn.3459

Why does it even bother you?

people are paying more for the same thing, what an idiotic question

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DruonGrawal.3596

DruonGrawal.3596

The exchange rates between Euro and Dollar are always in flow, very unlike to your static 1$ = 1€ interpretation. So even with that inclusive taxation European customers are likely to be on a varying disadvantage most of the time. (Right now, I would have to pay 7,67€, add 1,53€ VAT and we are at 9,20€. So you still gain 80 Eurocents on any sale with your current scheme.)

In these days it is pretty easy to work with a system that uses the same base prices for all your customers and then applies the local taxes based on the location of the account’s owner. Several webshops and gaming sites do it already. There just has to be a will on AreanaNet/NCSoft’s part to do that bit of extra work (setting up the system that way) in order to provide a better, fair service to their customers.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RetroSamus.9860

RetroSamus.9860

Sorry to say but this is not correct, we still lose 80 euro cent… when using the 10 euro buy out. I may be a cheapkitten But if I buy for 40 Euro gems I will miss around 3,20 in gems this is not fair.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: gametaunt.9105

gametaunt.9105

i agree this is silly.

with current exchange rates paying in dollars will only cost you 7.63 euro if u include any transfer fees (roughly 1-2 %) its still only 7.78 euro.

meaning you would pay over 2 euro more if u paid in your own currency.

so obviously what Anet wants is for all players from euro countries to give a fake billing address and pay in dollars instead, makes sense i guess….

this is the thing that is keeping me from buying any gems for money because i refuse to pay more for anything than anyone else