[merged] Mini Mr. Sparkles

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Frayta.4816

Frayta.4816

While I sympathize with your desire to have every mini-pet, demanding they give you access to something that was intended to be a special item for those people at gamescom, is a bit outrageous.

Blizzcon, has been giving out special thing like this for people who attend every year, and it isn’t just so people attend to get the latest miniature. Its to commemorate the event itself.

Blizzard also gave the first Reigns of Alar, and an entirely unique bow, to a terminally ill Child named Ezrah Chatterhorn, now, what would you say to people who were outraged that they didn’t have access to this bow? Would you agree with them- or would you be willing to bend, that in fact that bow was given as a gesture of good will to someone- and shouldn’t be tempered with.

I’d agree with you if the mini wasn’t on the minis tab.
It’s part of a collection, and now the collection could lose all its sense.

Ditto! If they didn’t put it in our faces I would not have a huge problem with it either. But as it happens it is made quite clear that this is not just a “unique gift for a special few people”, it is a hole in our collection in the truest sense.

In that way I do agree- that sparkles shouldn’t be in the mini’s section- if it has to be a collectable make it a “Conventions” tab or something. That would be a good solution to this- as it would ease the minds of mini-collectors, but still give sparkles the purpose it was meant to have, which was to be a gift to those who attended the gamescom and went to the presentation.

-Also giving less force to those who are selling sparkles- which is a very sad thing, as something that was meant to be a gift, or rather a thanks to who who went to games com- is now being abused, since it takes advantage of the average Gw2 collector.

To prevent sparkles from being sold from a third party all together- Anet may be smart to require a ‘GW2’ log in email, so that these mini’s can be delivered directly without chance of resale, abuse or in some cases, having gone to the event, but the special item was out of stock.

(edited by Frayta.4816)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

So, with all this concern for a gaping hole in a tab list due to an exclusive mini you’ll probably never be able to get…

…What happens if ANet goes further along the lines of the Liadri mini? Far enough with a new, entirely optional, “ultra hardcore focused” side event that only 5% of the player base will be able to complete (in reality, not in the context of what ANet says their testers can do)? The mini, like Liadri, is account bound so that only those players that legitimately earned it can show it off as a mark of their superior skills in whatever test was required to acquire it.

How do you handle this if you’re simply not up to snuff in this particular uber-test? Do you complain that it’s unfairly hard (despite it being an entirely optional, “has no other impact on anything” event) and you should be able to get the mini in the gem store? Do you demand ANet never award minis that aren’t easy to get or in the gem store, too? Do you insist that gaping hole—for a legitimately acquirable mini—be stricken from the tab to satisfy your ostrich-like “out of sight, out of mind” desires? (Come on, we all know you’ll KNOW which minis are missing, anyway, and it’s going to eternally gnaw at you.)

I’d say one could reasonably expect the devs to mask empty slots for promotional minis that cannot in any way be acquired in-game. And I’d agree, since I don’t care either way, that it wouldn’t be out of line to suggest all empty mini-slots except for those that come in the gem store mini-packs be masked, as well (or have a checkbox option)—though I think that’s catering to too small a group to be worth the effort. But beyond that much, no, I think this is one of those cases where a small but vocal group are making a lot out of very little. Those sorts generally get ignored because there are far more important things to deal with that affect a much larger number of people.

(edited by Kruhljak.2705)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

…What happens if ANet goes further along the lines of the Liadri mini? Far enough with a new, entirely optional, “ultra hardcore focused” side event that only 5% of the player base will be able to complete

Then I would ask them that they make the related content permanent or at least occur on regular basis as with Gauntlet. And I would be fine with it because I can always keep playing to try and get the minipet.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

Fair enough. And what happens when, in a couple years, you’re still unable to acquire that mini because your peak skills aren’t sufficient regardless of what you may think you’re capable of? You’ve tried 300 times, and it just ain’t happening. A few others have somehow managed it but no amount of YouTube or Dulfy can seem to help you do it.

Do you eventually just accept defeat quietly, or do the complaints begin again?

What if, in another instance, you manage to get it after many, many failed attempts. What do you tell all those others with lesser skills but equal desire, who’ve tried even more than you, but probably will never master the skills needed? Just keep trying?

Do those that want a complete collection have to be at least an imagined level of skill to deserve it? What about total lamers who can barely kill a lone ettin, but want all those cool minis, too? Do you just tell them to shove off, this is only for good players?

The point of my example, as extreme as it is, is to illustrate that there will always be people that can’t get something no matter what IF it’s gated behind a sufficiently difficult trial. It takes no skill to want to collect every mini in the game (note I said “want”), but for some that want them all, even Liadri may prove to be impossible for them. And they’ll be left perpetually in this empty-slot limbo land that may only get worse over time.

Oh, and lest we forget situational minis. Should Evon Gnashblade and Ellen Kiel minis come back, too? Those were specifically designed to mesh with a specific leg of the Living Story—an event that, presumably, will never reoccur. What will those that came in after that event concluded get to say? Should ANet just make those available again, entirely out of context, completely ignoring their relevance to a single, one-time event?

Yes, they could do this, but in my opinion, it just guts any special-ness certain minis have, and I’m far more against that—even if I never get any of them—than I am in favor of mollifying those that just simply must have every single one to the extent they may even quit the game entirely.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Wake me when we get an official response please.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I find it funny that people think convention stuff is good just because other companies do it too.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Andrew.4506

Andrew.4506

So… there are new SAB minis and I don’t know if I should buy them. I’m on the verge of just giving up mini collecting seeing as how I don’t feel like ebaying to finish it. The question is should I spend more real life cash on the SAB minis and hope they make mr. sparkles available later, or should I just call it quits now?

in Black Lion Trading Co

KOPPER.1458

I gave in a bought them. the regular SAB mini’s have some cute animations, and I like the ninja

I almost didn’t buy them but…well I did

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kronos.3695

Kronos.3695

So… there are new SAB minis and I don’t know if I should buy them. I’m on the verge of just giving up mini collecting seeing as how I don’t feel like ebaying to finish it. The question is should I spend more real life cash on the SAB minis and hope they make mr. sparkles available later, or should I just call it quits now?

Same situation for me.
1000 gems to obtain the 4 minis and I don’t know if i’ll buy them.

Until we’ll receive an official response, I guess I won’t.

Kronos Ledaloth, Leader of Bloodstone Keepers [BloS] - Far Shiverpeaks (EU)

YouTube Channel

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Hard choice if one should buy them or not. Anet tell us more about Mr. Sparkles. 1000 gems is over 10€ for just 4 miniatures!

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Treeline.3865

Fair enough. And what happens when, in a couple years, you’re still unable to acquire that mini because your peak skills aren’t sufficient regardless of what you may think you’re capable of? You’ve tried 300 times, and it just ain’t happening. A few others have somehow managed it but no amount of YouTube or Dulfy can seem to help you do it.

Do you eventually just accept defeat quietly, or do the complaints begin again?

What if, in another instance, you manage to get it after many, many failed attempts. What do you tell all those others with lesser skills but equal desire, who’ve tried even more than you, but probably will never master the skills needed? Just keep trying?

Do those that want a complete collection have to be at least an imagined level of skill to deserve it? What about total lamers who can barely kill a lone ettin, but want all those cool minis, too? Do you just tell them to shove off, this is only for good players?

To the first, personally I would of course not like that I’m not skilled enough. No doubt about that. But if I knew for a fact that it was possible, that someone else, same class as me (if relevant for the content) had actually done the insane content, I would have not problem with the content. My problem would be with my skill. The bonus achievement for Liadri per example was incredibly hard for me and took me probably around 100 attempts. I keep trying. If I hadn’t managed it this time around I would try and improve for next time the Arena is back. And I would probably keep trying for as long as it exists.

As for other players – Well. With the Liadri achievement I went to the ranger forum, told people I had done it and posted any tips that I found helpful myself. If I had the power to do so, I would probably have recorded it. I will feel for other players, but I would not wish that the difficulty was set down. The high difficulty allows for high skill to be recognized.

It’s like the special titles handed out to the old top PvP players. I’m sad that I didn’t win enough tournaments to get a title myself. But whenever I see a “Veteran of the Arena” or the like, I know that the player has really earned that title. I don’t get the same feeling when I see Mr. Sparkles on eBay.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mistress Elemental.3750

Mistress Elemental.3750

My previous post in Clockwork Chaos is locked now that it is over so I am creating a new post to continue the discussion. Many of us re outraged by the fact that you have created a mini that nobody can get because its account bound and the only way to get it is to have attended PAX, some other convention, or pay lots of insane money on eBay. So far Anet has had no comment on this and I want to know why they have alienated the Mini Collectors.

I have worked very hard to get every mini and up to now, I have been proud of it. You have release a mini that can only be received via a game code. A code that I would have had to fly to another state or country to get. On top of that, the mini is account bound so even if people get the code, there is no way to trade it to someone who actually wants it. Thus, the reason they are on eBay going for absurd amounts of money.

Why are you punishing us Anet? Have we not spent lots of money on gems already getting the other mini’s? Why would you slap us in the face with this. Why will you not give us an explanation or info that will give us some kid of relief that we will have a chance to get it. I would have no problem if there was some way to get it in the game as well but to be forced to travel or turn to eBay, REALLY?

I know there will be others who share my view and as well there will be people who think I’m just whining or will point out other things that makes this seem crazy. A great example is the mini’s in GW1. There were many mini like the Panda that were exclusive and very rare. The major difference is those were trade-able. Mr. Sparkles is account bound so this is no way the same as that example. I am just so saddened to have worked so hard for my mini collection, only to see this forever empty space in it now. I just want some peace of mind knowing that I have not been doing this for nothing. Thank you.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

I can see your point of view, even though it is rooted in such an extreme case of OCD you may beyond help at this point (no offense :P). BUT, this type of stuff happens in video games. Some times there are limited items that few are able to obtain and I don’t really see a problem with it. Sure, you have a blank space in your mini tab, which is a shame for a collector, but is it really the end of the world? You still have all available mini’s, or so I assume. If you think the price is insane on ebay, can you imagine how much gold you would have to pay in game to get it? Surely, you would have to spend an equal, if not more amount on gems to gold as you would just purchasing it off ebay.

Maybe the easiest solution is if anet could prevent that spot from showing in the mini tab unless you enter the code?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mistress Elemental.3750

I can agree with you, it is a bit of OCD but as a collector, the ultimate goal is to get all of them. Comic books are a great example, if someone collected every issue from a specific series only to find that the last issue made was only available in a limited print of 10 books and those were given to various museums or something(not normal but best thought I could come up with). How would that collector feel about having spent all that time, energy, and money on his passion only to know that he will never get that last issue unless he robs the museum lol. To a collector, its just something we need and we feel incomplete if there are ones we cant get.

The biggest problem I am having with this whole issue is the lack of response from Anet about it. They never even announced anything about a exclusive mini that only visitors of PAX or the meet and greet would get. I know I cant afford to fly to those places to get this mini let alone pay the enormous prices on eBay, but I could afford $10 in the gem store or convert some gold to gems for it AND to make it account bound so there’s never a way to get it makes it even worse. These are the reasons this is really lighting me on fire.

(edited by Mistress Elemental.3750)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Treeline.3865

There is nothing OCD about it, and it was brought into the last thread as well. It is simply the mind of a collector. It does not make sense to release something for a collection that is not part of the same domain. It is as if I needed to collect a coin to complete my stamp collection. It simply doesn’t make sense, yet my collection remains incomplete.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

There is nothing OCD about it, and it was brought into the last thread as well. It is simply the mind of a collector. It does not make sense to release something for a collection that is not part of the same domain. It is as if I needed to collect a coin to complete my stamp collection. It simply doesn’t make sense, yet my collection remains incomplete.

But I’ve heard of stamp and coin collectors paying huge sums of money for rare items, it’s not unusual. And if there’s a stamp or coin that is very old, a mistake, or produced in very limited quantities, perhaps only a hundred or so exist and most collectors will never see one, let alone add one to their collection. Does this mean that they should just give up the collection because there will always be a “hole” in it?

Anet will probably re-release the mini elsewhere, but they know better than to make an official response when people are so emotional about it. When they are ready to say something, they will. No matter how many threads you create about it, they won’t say anything until they are ready to.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

I just want to know so i know if i should sell my minis or continue to collect the minis. Is that too much to ask?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Kronos.3695

I just want to know so i know if i should sell my minis or continue to collect the minis. Is that too much to ask?

Same for me.
Anyway another thread is opened, and mod can merge both

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/Mini-Mr-Sparkles/page/2#post2771618

YouTube Channel

in Black Lion Trading Co

Treeline.3865

But I’ve heard of stamp and coin collectors paying huge sums of money for rare items, it’s not unusual.

Because that’s part of that domain. When I bought Guild Wars it was with the expectation that I would have access to all the content. Delivered. I furthermore expected that anything that wasn’t directly accessible would still be available within the game, since it is part of that game (Aka Gemstore which is where we dump our large sums of money, obviously). This of course with the exception of HoM – Info which was readily available that there was specific titles and things you could only achieve from HoM. That’s what I thought I bought into.

I actually used to collect stamps. It’s not that different from collecting minipets, but the domain is of course another. The whole country/world is now a potential place to obtain a collectible. When you start collecting stamps you may not have any goal, you just want to see how many you can collect. However if you bother looking into it, all info is readily available, aka a catalogue of stamps and the expected value of a stamp. As such you know that you can go out in the real world and try finding stamps for your collection as well as you can buy it from others (Or even better, trade). That’s the domain for stamp collection. You can go out and buy entire albums with room for every single stamp. I have 2 albums covering every stamp ever released in Denmark. Now what if the people who produced those all of a sudden decided that a stamp from USA should be part of that collection?….. That’s what I feel Anet just did.

Anet controls the domain of minipets. They control how new ones are designed and how they are obtainable. Since I’m collecting minipets I expect it to be obtainable within the obvious domain of GuildWars. And for a year they have been. I’ve been to every corner of Tyria, I have defeated Liadri, won Moa Racing several times, saved those Laurels to buy Snuffles and never missed a minipet in the gemstore.

Then Anet changes the rules. Not only do they create a new domain for what we collect. They also make it part of the same collection, meaning that our collection is destroyed unless we are willing to explore this new domain. (aka explore our wallets on eBay)

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

Sigh. I knew it was a mistake to try to carry on a rational conversation about this subject.

Anet is not evil. They did not do this to torture you. It’s a piece of code, nothing more. Having it or not having it will not affect your life or health or the way you play the game. They’ve already hinted that it will be given out elsewhere and so there will be more chances to get one.

But it’s not going to happen this week, and they’re not going to discuss the matter until they’re ready. Set it aside and continue playing the game while you wait for the mini-pet to become available again.

I’ve always considered collecting to be about the act of collecting items, not just having them. Similarly, the game is about the act of playing, not just having loot to show off. People on the forums have really messed up priorities.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mistress Elemental.3750

People on the forums have really messed up priorities.

Why is it you are the one to say what our priorities are. I don’t play the game to do PVP, WvW, or run dungeons till I’m blue in the face. I play play the game to enjoy the PvE content and collect the mini’s. That is my PRIORITY. Just because its not your priority does not mean we have to conform to what you think we should focus on. Our focus has been the mini’s since the beta and to basically say they will have it again at other events does nothing for us. So what if they release more codes at another game convention. That does me little good. I am not going to fly to China or what ever just so I can get this mini. I would happily work hard in the game to buy it off the TP but I cant because someone in their infinite wisdom decided to make it impossible to obtain unless I go to these said events or pay absurd monies on eBay. That’s just not acceptable.

The T-shirt code is a great example of the problem but it has a different story. While it was exclusive, it was not something that is programmed in the game as a common collectable. I may never get that t-shirt but its not something I have been trying to collect since the beta. Mini pets were originally put in GW1 to be traded amongst other players. By making it account bound, they have completely defeated their entire purpose in the game. We collect the mini’s because we could. There was always a way to get them in the game, whether it was hard work or paying gems for it. To make us fly to another place in the real world, to enter some community contest and wish on dumb luck we get it, or go to eBay and pay absurd amounts of money for this mini is just giving the finger to the entire point of mini’s.

The fact that Anet is stringing us along like this is just absurd. All we want to know is if there is ever going to be a way to get them IN GAME. As long as we know that, then I am willing to wait and have a hole in the collection. That is what my priority is.

(edited by Mistress Elemental.3750)

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

The fact that Anet is stringing us along like this is just absurd. All we want to know is if there is ever going to be a way to get them IN GAME. As long as we know that, then I am willing to wait and have a hole in the collection. That is what my priority is.

No one is stringing you along. This “problem” affects such a tiny minority of the players it’s not even worth talking about. Act like an adult, either go about playing the game or find something else to do.

in Black Lion Trading Co

KOPPER.1458

Most players aren’t sPVP players. Yet those who are want changes badly. And are vocal about it. Does that mean it’s not worth talking about either because it’s in the minority?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

ANet didn’t consider the pet collectors among their populous when they decided upon a unique yet not game changing item to give away at events they are at. They couldn’t do a weapon or armor skin which leaves city clothing and pets. Pets can be shown off everywhere. That is probably the logic they used. What they didn’t realize is those who buy pets at the gem shop are collectors who want them all and in doing this, the mini Mr. Sparkles exclusive, have now denied the ability to collect them all, so why should they bother to collect anymore. Bet they didn’t realize they just removed a prime reason to buy pets. Let’s see if their monthly/quarterly report on what is selling at the Gem shop shows a significant down turn in pet sales.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

ANet didn’t consider the pet collectors among their populous when they decided upon a unique yet not game changing item to give away at events they are at. They couldn’t do a weapon or armor skin which leaves city clothing and pets. Pets can be shown off everywhere. That is probably the logic they used. What they didn’t realize is those who buy pets at the gem shop are collectors who want them all and in doing this, the mini Mr. Sparkles exclusive, have now denied the ability to collect them all, so why should they bother to collect anymore. Bet they didn’t realize they just removed a prime reason to buy pets. Let’s see if their monthly/quarterly report on what is selling at the Gem shop shows a significant down turn in pet sales.

The fifteen people who actually care about the issue will certainly make an impact on their bottom line.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

^ By that token, it certainly wouldn’t hurt their bottom line to make the Mr Sparkles mini more easily available either. Put him up for sale on the Gem Store for 800 gems, watch the extra money roll in.

in Black Lion Trading Co

KOPPER.1458

tolunart: While you don’t buy mini pets I would bet their metrics say differently about the number of mini pets they sell.

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

tolunart: While you don’t buy mini pets I would bet their metrics say differently about the number of mini pets they sell.

There’s a huge difference between liking the mini-pets and being obsessed with them.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I think it’s neat that people who went to a special event have a special in-game item to commemorate that. I don’t think I understand how not having access to this one mini is suddenly making people feel like they should stop getting other minis. It makes no sense. I mean, I don’t have a rig that allowed me to get even close to Liadri, and I really wanted her. Other people accomplished stuff I didn’t, and that’s okay. Just how I feel about it all; I’m not trying to imply that anyone else should share this opinion.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Treeline.3865

The fifteen people who actually care about the issue will certainly make an impact on their bottom line.

Before putting out numbers please tell me where they are from. I get that you are on the other side of this, but you aren’t really helping any side with comments like that.
The thread in GW2 Discussion forum managed to get to get to 4 pages of length and over 10.000 views. I consider that a rather big issue. If you think that’s 15 people that’s ok

Earlier in the thread you said you gave up having a rational discussion. Yet you did not at all comment on my answer to you.

Are you really trying to say anything besides “get over it”, or are you just raking down on us because we don’t play the same parts of the game?

in Black Lion Trading Co

KOPPER.1458

tolunart: I can only assume you are not a collector nor have you ever been. Because of that you can’t possibly understand. You can label it however you like but collectors want a complete set. They don’t want to go to conventions or ebay in order to complete it. The item is made and sitting out there, why not sell it? Why only make it for convention goers? How many players go to conventions? Is it more or less than those who collect the mini’s or Dyes, or whatever. Do you make plans to go to a convention just because of a mini? I would doubt it. It’s a nice bonus you get, and I think that is great. We are simply asking for it to be sold to us for less than the 700+ ebay price.

I am finding it hard why you kitten against it?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hell Avenger.7021

Hell Avenger.7021

awww… would a hug make you feel better?

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

You’re jumping to conclusions based on a series of assumptions and demanding answers that you know will not be provided. It’s Anet’s property to do with as they wish, there is no indication that this is the only time they will ever give out that virtual item or that there is no other way that it will ever become available.

It’s unlikely they will explain themselves to you, but if you go about your business and ignore the irritant there may come a day when you find it through other means and complete your set. If not, nothing of value was lost. There are many things in life I wish I had done, acquired, experienced, achieved etc. But we can’t always get what we want, so I’ve learned to be happy with what I have.

I have nothing against collectors. In fact I dabble in selling artwork from time to time and got started on eBay selling Magic: the Gathering cards quite a few years ago. I have considerable experience with collecting, collectors and their motivations. You have mistaken OCD for collecting, the desire to have absolutely everything is not the essence of collecting, it’s a compulsion to control your environment.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kojast.6304

Kojast.6304

I don’t understand why you’re still hoping for a response. Even if Mr. Sparkles becomes available, what’s to prevent ANet from doing something similar again? Prizes for contests were another way minis were distributed in the past, or placing in the top percentile of a race. If those are account bound and distributed in game, you don’t even have eBay asa recourse.

Bottom line: this incident should have destroyed your trust that mini collecting is viable in this game. It just isn’t. Even if they fix it this time, the trust is gone.

At this point, ANet isn’t abusing you—that would require they care about your customer desires. You’re abusing yourself. The rational course of action is to stop.

It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. If you still like the game or still want specific minis, buy them. If you still want Mr. Sparkles specifically, go for it! I fully support your request in that scenario.

But stop holding onto the illusion that you can get them all in the manner you desire. They don’t want your money, so why are you begging to give it to them? That’s not how any sane or self-respecting person approaches business. Bad practices deserve to be punished by the people who are affected by them, and if you don’t do that, the blame partly rests with you.

in Black Lion Trading Co

KOPPER.1458

kojast: I don’t really understand your post. I didn’t say Anet was abusing me. I don’t feel abused. I feel slightly irritated that I can not get said Mini by any other means than ebay or going to a convention. This would not be the only mini I do not own in the game. I was unable to defeat their RNG winterdays mini’s and am missing one from there as well. I was unhappy I wasn’t able to get one. I would love a response from Anet on the matter, although I doubt we are going to see one anytime soon at this point.

tolunart:
You are correct; myself and many others are jumping to conclusions as to how we are ever going to get this mini. I have asking for them to respond. That doesn’t mean they will, but it would be nice if they did. I assume by now they have seen the multiple posts made by others.

As for OCD, what can I say. I have it, I live it, it sucks most of the time. Feeling the need to have them all is strong. I normally never collect all of something because like most things in life it’s simply not possible. But every time it happens and I miss part of a set it certainly bothers my mind. All I can do is ask for a response and give a suggestion and hope they listen.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ixl Super Ixl.7258

Ixl Super Ixl.7258

Same thing happened in gw1 Before so i am not surprised

in Black Lion Trading Co

Andrew.4506

Just because it’s happened before doesn’t mean it should happen in the future. “It’s always been done that way” is a terrible reason to do something. Hard to attend out of game activities should never reward exclusive in game content. A lot of people dismiss this because it’s a mini, but what if they started giving out legendary skins that aren’t available in game at these events. A blazing phoenix greatsword legendary that shoots fiery birds, sets your character on fire, and leaves fiery bird footprints behind. People would absolutely lose their kitten over it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Treeline.3865

As for OCD, what can I say. I have it, I live it, it sucks most of the time. Feeling the need to have them all is strong. I normally never collect all of something because like most things in life it’s simply not possible. But every time it happens and I miss part of a set it certainly bothers my mind. All I can do is ask for a response and give a suggestion and hope they listen.

Yet I wish people would stop talking about OCD, because this issue sucks, with or without it. I do not have OCD. But i still log in to see that gaping hole in my collection now everyday knowing that I won’t be able to complete it because the minipet practically does not exist. Same goes for entitlement.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Helenorz.2547

Helenorz.2547

there’s nothing wrong with excluse content, stuff like this is really common. Your frustration is stemmed from the fact that there’s actually something you cannot have no matter how much you want to have it, which honestly, in an MMO to be able to own a completely collection is super hard to begin with it. If it’s not minis, it’s something else. There will be plenty of things you (or anyone for that matter) can never have, so why let that get into you.

I would love to compelte a mini collection, but I won’t…because essentially all minis are either way too expensive for me to just buy to collect, or you need to spend real money, which I would rather spend that one some other in game content.

and to be fair, no one besides Anet knew there would be a mini in the swag bag; it could have been anything. It was only awarded to the first 500 people that showed up (and I think they were giving them away at Gamescom?) and the event was not exclusive to PAXers. While I see why it would make you unhappy, pick your battles, there’s no need to feel the way you do over something like this

in Black Lion Trading Co

Helenorz.2547

There was a community event during gamescom (on Thursday evening). Many fansites were invited to meet at a Cologne tourist trap, where they had a chance to talk among themselves and to some of the developers.

Interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DDWMBKWCDWk

There was a gift bag for the people who attended and a raffle.

The contents of the bag were:
1x Mini-Pet Mr. Sparkles (card is printed in German, no English text)
1x Black Sweat Armband with GW2 logo in white stitching
1x Grey T-Shirt with white GW2 dragon logo
1x A5 Paper Notepad, no lining, grey logo on each side.
1x Steelseries mousepad Jora design
1x NCSOFT ball-pen
1x Destiny Edge poster

There were roughly 60 people from all over Europe (!) attending the event. I do not know, if they were given out on the show floor as well.

That’s all I can tell you about the card. As was the case in GW1, it will probably not be the first, nor the last minipet which is linked to some real-life event, or is simply unobtainable by playing the game, e.g. try trading Gaile Grey for one of her frogs.

wow…that’s far more exciting than what they were giving out at PAX Prime:

- contents comes in a black/grey GW2 logo drawstring bag
- Mr. Sparkles
- a bandana with GW2 logos ALL OVER

that’s it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

KOPPER.1458

Sorry treeline. I am going off of others calling it OCD. I want to have a complete collection. I don’t need it, I am missing the Christmas mini anyways. Either way I want Mr sparkles pretty badly. He is an awesome looking mini. Guild mate got one from a friend who doesn’t even play GW2 but was at PAX.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Andrew.4506

Just wanted to chime in again and let anet know that I’m disappointed with how they’ve handled this so far.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Treeline.3865

I am going off of others calling it OCD.

Mind.. rephrasing that for non-native english speaker? Are you calling it OCD or not? :P

in Black Lion Trading Co

KOPPER.1458

It is OCD for me. That doesn’t make it true for everyone else who wants the Mini.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Treeline.3865

It is OCD for me. That doesn’t make it true for everyone else who wants the Mini.

Well.. Just to get the repeat claims of collectors having OCD (Even if true in your case):

Here’s wiki:

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry; by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing the associated anxiety; or by a combination of such obsessions and compulsions. Symptoms of the disorder include excessive washing or cleaning; repeated checking; extreme hoarding; preoccupation with sexual, violent or religious thoughts; relationship-related obsessions; aversion to particular numbers; and nervous rituals, such as opening and closing a door a certain number of times before entering or leaving a room. These symptoms can be alienating and time-consuming, and often cause severe emotional and financial distress. The acts of those who have OCD may appear paranoid and potentially psychotic. However, OCD sufferers generally recognize their obsessions and compulsions as irrational, and may become further distressed by this realization.

The only symptom that even remotely sounds recognizable and what I guess people keep refering to is the “extreme hoarding” – If you really call collecting every minipet in a game you like “extreme” then sure I have OCD! I’m however neither uneasy, scared or worried by the thought that my mini collection is not complete. I am just disappointed in Anets decision to make that collection impossible to complete. If that sounds like extreme worry caused by intrusive thoughts, then sure I have OCD.

Every collector in this thread has several times said they are disappointed that they now can’t complete their collection. Sure, it’s okay when people can’t complete SAB to whine like maniacs, but as soon as it’s not palyable content we are talking about we are just entitled OCD freaks. K!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

An entire thread and not one …

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Treeline.3865

I miss that mentality! ^^

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

I’m the one who brought up OCD, and it’s an opinion, not a diagnosis from a doctor. Yes, I’m talking about extreme hoarding, and irrational behavior regarding the need to have a complete set of items that don’t actually exist.

“These symptoms can be alienating and time-consuming, and often cause severe emotional and financial distress. "

Who posted about feeling like he was slapped in the face every time he sees the “hole” in his collection? What about people spending $100s for a single mini pet on eBay? These things are not severe emotional and financial distress?

The majority of collectors do not display this extreme behavior. A handful of individuals are pretending that they represent thousands of people raging at Anet for cruelly dangling a prize in front of them that they can never have, but the responses do not support this view. Rational individuals see that they cannot get the mini-pet right now and continue playing the game and keep an eye out for an opportunity to get one. They do not buy plane tickets to Germany so they can hunt down one of the remaining codes or post messages claiming that they are experiencing physical or emotional torture because they can’t get it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Kronos.3695

Ok, but you’ve gone off topic.
We’re not talking about a mini code sold on ebay (only a crazy man would spend like 500$ for it), but a minipet that it’s not in game yet. The solutions about something like this are several, like putting it in the gemstore (even at 2000 gems, but we still have golds to trade and we can play to obtain it), remove it from the collector tab (it’s a particoular minipet, you can’t obtain it in game) or just having an answer from ArenaNet about what they’ll want to do with this mini in the future.

An entire collection (and don’t mention the guild wars minipets, here we have a collector tab) ruined for a single mini it’s not a good idea, i guess.

YouTube Channel

in Black Lion Trading Co

Helenorz.2547

what I don’t understand is why ANet has to do anything. It was a little gift and meant to be as such; mini collecting is a choice, as in a lot of other stuff in the game. Had it been something else, people would probably say something about it too. kitten ed if you do, kitten ed if you don’t.

and also, just a FYI, this mini is no longer $500 on ebay. it’s more like $40.