millions of excess silk scraps/thick leather

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rainzar.6905

Rainzar.6905

does the fact that there appears to be millions of this stuff on the BLTC for vendor+1 suggest that maybe these materials need some kind of sink? mithril and elder log prices have fluctuated constantly since release for whatever minor reasons however my gut feeling is that people wanting precursors is the major reason these two materials will always have a demand.

some things to consider;
- making scraps into silk bolts sells for a loss
- the same method for leather results in a loss
- upgrading either into the T6 version results in a loss
- salvaging whites in hope of getting the T6 version may result in win? (silk only)
- i do realise the majority of people have 80s acquiring this stuff and this is where i point at mithril ore/elder logs
by loss i mean it would of better to sell/vendor and just buy the other material.

Is this even a thing that people think is a problem needing a solution?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hattrick.7065

Hattrick.7065

If the other materials that come out of bags didn’t sell so well, I would just vendor bags instead of wasting time to open the bags then vendor the 50ish or more percent that resulted in leather or silk.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Let us use silk and leather together with siege blueprints to upgrade them into superiors and see how much of that silk/leather is burned up in a week.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

How about a recipe to downgrade them to a lower tier? I haven’t looked at the prices in a while but I had a hard time finding the mid-tier cloth and leather when I was leveling my tailor and leather worker.

The issue with the T5 stuff is most likely because they are by-products of salvaging for ectos. Ectos are getting cheap, so a little less supply should be coming in, but that doesn’t solve the problem with the excess that’s already there.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The problem with those T5 salvage mats is that there isn’t enough demand. There isn’t a problem with mithril because it’s used in both heavy armor and weapons as well as sigils and runes. Silk and thick leather however are limited to light and medium armors.

As long as players simply dump those onto the TP like mithril from salvage, instead of realizing they’ll get a few coppers more at this point selling them directly to a vendor, they will always be an overwhelming surplus of them. On the other hand selling them on the TP is a gold sink where selling them to a vendor is a gold source and keeps the overall money supply from growing.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Maybe, in designing crafting ANet should have made exotics out of one type of lower tier item in addition to the T6 items and not just T5, but even lower. That would bring demand up for all of the lower tier items. As it stands now once you hit level 80 you don’t have much use for them.

For example an exotic that requires 5 T6 vemon sacs to also require some T1 venom sacs.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

Its almost a cruel joke to open a loot bag and find materials that make another bag.

Attachments:

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DJSkittles.7196

DJSkittles.7196

The solution although in reality very complicated, is actually very simple. Elder logs and mithril are still used because tons of people craft rares all day to throw to forge for precursors for legendarys. How do you fix this? Create legendary armor.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Risingashes.8694

Risingashes.8694

The solution is actually to significantly reduce the vendor payoff.

Make the item reliant on market forces and the price will drop to a point where someone can make proper use of it.

If silk was selling at 2c I’m sure someone would be able to make a profit on it. Vendor certainly aren’t using it for anything in such abundance.

Do it for all materials, reduce the vendor payoff to 1c and you’ll have a functioning economy again.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

They need to lower the drop rates, like they did for some other materials that were dropping too often in bags.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: NibriAyid.3680

NibriAyid.3680

It’s no doubt a problem, although ANet seems to be waiting on this one. They are introducing new recipes to address surplus Chef stuff, so there’ll obviously be new recipes that involve silk and thick leather introduced. Whether those recipes will actually be used by the player base is another question altogether.

I think downgrade recipes have to be approached carefully as well, because you’ll depopulate the lower level zones, especially the ones that don’t have other popular stuff around.

As for people getting rid of stuff at vendor +1 (and at a loss compared to just straight vendoring it), most of it is from people who don’t know, but some of it is players who want to empty their inventory without a merchant around (e.g. dungeon farming). I saw a CoF P1 video where the author did that after a run, to “sell instantly” his entire inventory.

@Risingashes – That would also work (essentially removing a “price floor” set by the vendor), but then it would be strange because linen would vendor for more than silk. There’s also the possibility that this can go all the way down to 1c like a lot of chef stuff does, but I don’t know if the excess is that great.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

There’s no profit in T5 leather or cloth even at a TP value of 0. The materials have no valuable uses and their price reflects it.

If the merchant price dropped to 1c you’d be vendoring it for 1c.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

Yeah, I agree we need a sink to those.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Iures.2894

Iures.2894

Make the item reliant on market forces and the price will drop to a point where someone can make proper use of it.

If silk was selling at 2c I’m sure someone would be able to make a profit on it. Vendor certainly aren’t using it for anything in such abundance.

Do it for all materials, reduce the vendor payoff to 1c and you’ll have a functioning economy again.

If you dropped the vendor price of silk scraps to 1c, I seriously doubt it would take long for TP price to hit 2c, and silk bolt TP prices to hit 3c. There’s simply that much unwanted stock sitting around. I can’t tell you how many stacks of silk scraps I’ve vendored because no one wants them. . .

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

They should implement a forge recipe to convert it to a new gamble bag or even just a random one of the existing heavy bags.
250 leather or silk + 10 of any junk trophy + 1 crystal (or some other throttling) = N heavy _______ bags

sure you get some silk or leather back when you open the bags, but it provides a link to turn unwanted mats into t5/t6 stuff that people actually want.

Maybe let people pick the bags they want according to the junk trophy
porous bone = moldy
etc.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Instead of selling plushie backpack skins that are already stuffed they could sell the “flat” skins. How “poofy” your backpack became would depend on how much silk you stuffed into it.

Instead of selling finished items in the gem store they could sell “consumable patterns” level 400 recipes for crafting town clothes or toys that require some specific material; this would also incentivize high level crafting. Were they to allow the pattern to be used 2 or 3 times before self-destructing people could have the option of selling the finished product or crafting for more than one character.

Or, if the recipe was durable but created only account bound items then it would be an ongoing sink — in essence turning the player into their very own “festival hat maker” for that particular item. As a player I wouldn’t have to worry about storing a seldom used item forever, but when I did want to create a copy I’d have to consume the materials again.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

(edited by Aye.8392)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rainzar.6905

some interesting thoughts, i had considered legendary armour but considering how often new armor skins come out.. i doubt theres even a design concept for these yet. not sure if there is room for another “craft discipline” but to balance things it out it would also have to use leather/silk and my only idea is basically something that would either compete with gems or go into its own upgrade slot which would mean overhaul every armour piece to accept a new slot, kinda seems like alot of work to implement.

i do kind of like the gamble bag idea a little especially considering they did it before, with butter/chocolate and a few other excess stuff and although people were like well it will go back to being worthless when they remove the mystic recipe, over time it did eventually iron out in my opinion, plus they obviously fine tuned the drop rate too. if they do something similar, and tweak the drops of silk/leather from the loot bags to make them alot less frequent, leaving the main source to be salvaging whites etc it might work out over time?

i do kind of like the downgrading idea too, i could see that working over time even if initially people rushed to “cash in” and even if it lowered the other tiers of cloth/leather significantly that would still work favourably as people would be more likely to use tailoring to ‘powerlevel’ until the prices eventually leveled out again.

Aye your first idea was.. interesting to say the least but the second idea i would like to see sometime in the future as you say to incentivize high level crafting further but i doubt it would have much use as a “sink” plus town clothes aren’t as popular as armor :\

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Let us use silk and leather together with siege blueprints to upgrade them into superiors and see how much of that silk/leather is burned up in a week.

That doesn’t look like it would work very well either. Mithril Ore prices have been dropping for a while. Then again all speculation relating to elder wood/mithril ore is useless unless ANet makes a move to eliminate the teleporting bots.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zellax.7821

Zellax.7821

i simply like the idea of the mystic chest to be brought back.
One of my fav items in game

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

i simply like the idea of the mystic chest to be brought back.
One of my fav items in game

This is a very good idea, which makes me sure it wont happen.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rainzar.6905

probably would be the easiest option to implement, a few new mystic forge recipes and voila away we go, i guess we wait and see.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Risingashes.8694

Risingashes.8694

If you dropped the vendor price of silk scraps to 1c, I seriously doubt it would take long for TP price to hit 2c, and silk bolt TP prices to hit 3c. There’s simply that much unwanted stock sitting around. I can’t tell you how many stacks of silk scraps I’ve vendored because no one wants them. . .

If silk is indeed worth 1c, then ANet shouldn’t be bailing people out with illogical vendor prices. Vendors shouldn’t be a magical adjunct of limitless wealth, they should be an alternative to salvaging.

If an item is worth 0c then it’s worth 0c and should be thrown away. Sure, add uses for items worth 0c, but don’t act like vendors are a useful economic tool.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Iures.2894

Iures.2894

If silk is indeed worth 1c, then ANet shouldn’t be bailing people out with illogical vendor prices. Vendors shouldn’t be a magical adjunct of limitless wealth, they should be an alternative to salvaging.

If an item is worth 0c then it’s worth 0c and should be thrown away. Sure, add uses for items worth 0c, but don’t act like vendors are a useful economic tool.

Or they could actually make the item worth something. . .

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s a basic material used to make other things. The problem is a supply problem. Too much is being created because everyone is salvage happy.

What are the rules of thumb players are telling newbs, salvage white, salvage high level rares for ectos? Look I just got a level 77 white light armor coat as a drop in a lower level zone. Gee let me salvage it and look, silk scraps. Need to crack this rare light armor for the ecto and the rune, oh look, silk scraps. I’ll right click in my inventory panel and sell those on the TP for 8c each, costing 1c to post. Who knows, maybe some millennium it may actually sell.

We need a silk scrap – thick leather section sink big time. Now there is a way to promote 250 T5 to ??? amount of T6 but it’s likely be a major gold sink (I haven’t tried it myself) requiring, in this case, 5 x T6 pile of dust which is worth like 1g25s. With gossamer scrap worth nearly 1s, I don’t see this as a popular means to turn silk scrap ever into something worth more than the 17.5s you can get for selling 250 silk scrap to a vendor after all the expenses. How about alternative street clothes. T-shirts with guild logos. Something that’s desirable, won’t unbalance the game, and is an attractive alternative to mindlessly posting even more silk scraps to the TP.

I don’t know what that could be but 4-6 million supply for 12,500 demand clearly shows a supply problem.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Maybe it suggest people should vendor it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Or substitute them to be used in making wvw prints. so instead of the ore/log, you can do the same with cloth/leather.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

How about alternative street clothes. T-shirts with guild logos. Something that’s desirable, won’t unbalance the game, and is an attractive alternative to mindlessly posting even more silk scraps to the TP.

I would buy a t-shirt with a guild logo in a second, whether it used silk scraps or not.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Spifnar.4712

Spifnar.4712

The backlog is so bad, that it will need 2 fixes:

1) A larger use for silk and leather and/or a decrease in supply

2) A short term recipe to clear out the surplus. New mystic toilet RNG recipe for a mini?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hurdy.2748

Hurdy.2748

Lower silk/thick leather drops in bags but keep them the same from salvage. less chance for silk/leather = more chance for T6 & lodestones, normalizing prices

Combaticus – 80 warrior – Tarnished coast