who is Account Bound crafting protecting?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Why are so many crafting items Account Bound? In what way do these restrictions on, say, food protect the economy? Take Prickly Pear Stuffed Nopale, for example. It gives a boost to Power and Condition Duration and it lasts 30 minute. That’s hardly game-breaking stuff. But it’s Account Bound. Why?

There are some people who hate crafting, and never will craft, who might be happy to pay someone else to make this for them. There other people who have no desire to use this food but will buy the recipe anyway because they’re completionists. So how would the latter selling to the former hurt the game’s economy in any way?

I mean, I can understand putting Account Bound limitations on certain powerful or exceptionally desired items that you want to use as long term goals. But putting those restrictions on such mundane things as run-of-the-mill consumables doesn’t make any sense to me. It seems to me you’d want people who enjoy crafting to make money selling items to those who don’t.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Its a reward for people that finish alot of different content, in this case, leveling your crafting and Dry Top.
And if you hate crafting, you can pay someone to cook the feast and place it, so you can eat it.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

I’m rewarded by not being able to share with my friends?
Artificer – Mystery Tonics. My Tables, Trees, Birds are going to destroy the economy! Oh right, it’s a reward for wasting those precious materials on a tonic <.<

It’s not a lot of different content, it’s what is available as content right now, there is no other content we can do simultaneously that limits us in such a way as the living story does.

I love the living story, but I absolutely hate these crappy time limited gold+barter requirement obsolete before you get them account bound items as a ‘reward’. A ‘reward’ is NOT SOMETHING I PURCHASE, it is something GIVEN to you in exchange for something you did.

Account bound crafting is stupid – I understand the binding for Ascended items, it has lore attached to it and if Legendaries have infusions then that goes for them as well. However, for EVERYTHING else it is absolutely contrary to natural existence. Why would something I crafted at a public crafting station with a publicly discoverable or purchasable recipe ever be considered bound to me in any way, shape, or form? It is anti-fun to not be able to share in an MMO.

Your Prestige is your problem as well considering every single player can attain exactly the same things.

Binding things is not a reward, it’s destructive to the principles of hard working craftsman who put their time, effort, gold, and materials into the process only to find out they just wasted all of that for something they can’t use or benefit from.
“Everyone can use these” is not an excuse. Crafted items should never be bound (except with ascended and legendary because of lore).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Think what this Account Binding does to players like myself whom have multiple accounts? And, I spend quite a bit to furnish the accounts with gem store items. I never expected the Dev’s to punish trying to do more in game and to support them more as well.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Its a reward for people that finish alot of different content, in this case, leveling your crafting and Dry Top.
And if you hate crafting, you can pay someone to cook the feast and place it, so you can eat it.

It’d be a lot easier if we could just sell it. That would be a better reward for crafting.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Agreed 100% TC.

These random consumables have no reason to be account-bound whatsoever. There’s no precedent for it (ALL other food is sellable, even the Dragon Starcake or whatever which is actually a semi-exclusive recipe) and these new items are hardly amazing enough to justify account-bound status. And heck, even if the recipes were amazing stat-wise, I’d argue that making them account-bound is actually WORSE for balance, since it means that people who level Chef and buy the recipes have a distinct advantage over those who don’t, rather than letting the items be sold so people who don’t have a 400 Chef can just buy them.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Buford.2954

Buford.2954

Getting to cooking 400 is a piece of cake, but even so I mostly use it to make food to sell. Upon seeing that the new cook recipes make account bound foods, I can’t be bothered to even try for T4 in Dry Top as these recipes would provide no benefit to me whatsoever.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Account bound crafting is stupid – I understand the binding for Ascended items, it has lore attached to it and if Legendaries have infusions then that goes for them as well.
“Everyone can use these” is not an excuse. Crafted items should never be bound (except with ascended and legendary because of lore).

Wait what ? Since when did Ascended armor and weapons have lore attached to them ? Their name ?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Account bound crafting is stupid – I understand the binding for Ascended items, it has lore attached to it and if Legendaries have infusions then that goes for them as well.

Wait what ? Since when did Ascended armor and weapons have lore attached to them ? Their name ?

Tonn, Zojja, Chorben, etc. to name a few.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Was more referring to the terms than the actual items:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Infusion
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ascension

Though Infusion of Agony Resistance is pretty much the same as in GW1, the Ascended term is different as apparently we have the natural ability to enter the Mists now and don’t need to be Ascended to do so. I don’t know why they chose the term Ascended for weapons & armor but whatever.

Infusion was a personal thing back then that required you to undertake a ‘fetch quest’ and have a Seer infuse your armor with Spectral Agony Resistance. The Ascension was a mystical process where you had to fight yourself in GW1 to gain access to the Mists, in GW2 it is a term for a higher tier weapon set of slightly higher stats that are personally craftable. Maybe it was reaching to imply there was a little lore tie in with ascended items but it’s there in name so…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Methal.9045

Methal.9045

I personally like the idea of having items that not everyone can get without doing the work. There are enough things to sell without making everything sellable.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DivineBuddha.1589

DivineBuddha.1589

I agree account bound food is pretty lame I was going to make some of that food anyways but its just a pain to sit there and wait for people to sell me the mats I need for it and farm it when I’d rather just buy it.They dont even give any better stats that other food but they do help with a few different builds just seems very unnecessary.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I almost never use consumables in any game even when I intend to, as they are most useful when I’m doing a lot of things in game and thus I get too busy to remember to open the inventory for them. Much as I want the recipes as a completionist, it really would only be to link the item in chat for RP picnics as my main RP guy is a gourmet chef as one of his hobbies. That’s not worth grinding out that many geodes, not when I can’t actually give the item to someone else to nibble during the RP.

In a game designed to promote cooperation, reserving cactus pies to only the cook seems an odd decision.