Charr - fire affinity?

Charr - fire affinity?

in Charr

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

I got into a discussion and I said that Charr, in general, have an affinity for fire. My friend said that it’s against the lore and that they don’t because of the flame legion. Is there any lore out there on the books that talk about Charr, in general, having an affinity for fire?

Charr - fire affinity?

in Charr

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

None that I know of. Charr had magic before the Flame Legion took over but it wasn’t what they got from their “gods” in GW1. The titans gave them an entirely “new” magic to fight humanity, according to the ecology. So nothing speaks to it one way or the other.

Charr - fire affinity?

in Charr

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

The Flame shamans have had an affinity for fire since the first missions of GW1.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Stormcaller

This is probably a retcon – originally there was no real differentiation between one sort of charr and another, but since then the Ash, Blood and Iron legions have been elaborated, and they don’t use fire devices to augment their power the way the Flame legion does.

They’re certainly not averse to fire as a tool, but they don’t have any magical affinity for it outside shamans of the Flame Legion. Non-shaman Flame legionnaires seem to merely use the tools provided by the shamans.

Some Ash legionnaires seem to have affinities for different types of magic, thematically focussed around stealth. The Iron and Blood legions focus on non-magical prowess.

(edited by Ben K.6238)

Charr - fire affinity?

in Charr

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Charr, whether they like it or not, have an affinity for Fire because of Steam-based technology and Iron Legion.

Charr - fire affinity?

in Charr

Posted by: Khandarus.2738

Khandarus.2738

Charr, whether they like it or not, have an affinity for Fire because of Steam-based technology and Iron Legion.

Wut? That is saying some one has an affinity for water because they use hydroelectricity.

Think it is a topic of magical affinity, not mechanical use of fire. Least thats what I am getting out of it.

Charr - fire affinity?

in Charr

Dustfinger.9510

Think it is a topic of magical affinity, not mechanical use of fire. Least thats what I am getting out of it.

I got the same thing out of it. if this is the question then the answer is that nothing in lore states they are any better at using fire magic or that they are naturally able to learn fire magic better than learning the other schools. the fire magic that the flame legion uses is a cultural choice based on the magic the titans gave the charr in GW1.

Charr - fire affinity?

in Charr

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

Charr have a liking for fire, and by extension, explosions. I think that explains how they were always better at fire magic than any other element, that was just what they liked using most, so they got more practice.

Charr - fire affinity?

in Charr

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Wut? That is saying some one has an affinity for water because they use hydroelectricity.

Traditionally Charr have used fire magic. Furthermore, the fire element is the base for most of their technology (iron, explosives, etc..)

I would also think that after the Flame Legion ruled for so long, fire magic is somewhat passed down by their genes, even though they don’t use it.

Charr - fire affinity?

in Charr

Dustfinger.9510

The flame legion ruled but only the shaman and flame legion had fire magic. There were other shaman who had Mesmer magic. the fire magic only came from the titans. the iron legion only uses the tech in large quantities. there are still two full legions that really have nothing to do with fire in any way.