Charr zones

Charr zones

in Charr

Posted by: ptitminou.6489

ptitminou.6489

Charr in GW1 are cruel, unforgiving and seem to have a will to kill anyone who crosses them…

SO I go in a Charr zone, expecting fun (I didnt roll a Charr because the run animation is complete trash and gives me headaches). So I have to BRING CHICKENS TO A FARM or FEED SOME USELESS COWS WITH INSECTS wtf? and even CARRY EGGS AFTER A DEVOURER LAYS THEM … WTF is that ? Really? So Charr are now the happy-go-lucky race of Tyria? At least, it explains where I only crossed 3 other players in the whole 50-60 zone. What a let-down.

kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten
Because censorship is the most important part of the MMO business.

Charr zones

in Charr

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

because fighting stuff all day erryday is so much more exciting…
i liked it and these hearts aside there were still enough quests where you had to fight separatists, communists and some flame legion charr.

btw even a military race needs someone who produces food and does non-military stuff etc. …

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

Charr zones

in Charr

ptitminou.6489

Precisely, but Charr should be eating separatists, not chicken. I’m still not over cows eating wasps though.

kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten

Charr zones

in Charr

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

Charr don’t eat humans. At least they don’t go out of their way to do so anyway. According to one of the NPCs I over heard talking in the Black Citadel the whole charr eating humans thing was a rumor started ages ago to scare humans. Psychological warfare at its finest IMO.

Though that said, I’m sure if the charr found themselves in a situation where they were cut off from resupply the charr would have no problem eating whatever was lying around. If that happened to be dead humans then so be it. Meat is meat after all.

Stuff goes here.

Charr zones

in Charr

Posted by: AuldWolf.7598

AuldWolf.7598

Sigh.

The charr were never evil. Even in Prophecies there were hints to there being more to them, and more going on. Essentially it was a campaign of propaganda, and I’m not just talking about the Flame Legion, either. Adelbern and the nobles spoonfed the peoples of Ascalon whatever lies he needed to in order to keep them unified against whichever evil he sought to crush.

Consider, that only years prior, Ascalon had almost been wiped out in the guild wars with Kryta and Orr. The human race on Tyria almost went extinct at that point, that’s how big those wars were. Adelbern was a proud, bloodthirsty warmonger. And he wasn’t going to surrender to the Flame Legion. Oh no. He wanted blood. So the official party line was that anyone who wasn’t an Ascalonian was a vile beast.

Now, keep in mind the visiting Krytan dignitaries. They were bringing supplies and aid. Starving children and sickly elders were behind the Ascalonian walls, and the Krytans were ready to do all that they could to help out. But nope. Any gifts that the Krytans brought had to be enchanted somehow, with some evil curse. Adelbern paranoidly had you check out a sample of their generosity with every mage he had at his disposal. And even still, once it turned out clean, he didn’t trust them.

On the other hand, the Flame Legion were basically using Ascalon as a political launching grounds. They didn’t care much for the humans, in fact, a surrender would have made their lives easier. Think about it. The only reason they invaded Ascalon was to prove their power to the rest of the charr, which aided with keeping control over the rest of the charr legions. It was a purely political move on their part.

Had the humans gone quietly, it would have made the Flame Legion seem more powerful. Ascalon would have been under Flame Legion occupation, but otherwise no worse for wear.

Furthermore. The nobles told us that the charr eat people. Turns out they don’t. The nobles told us that the charr have no mercy and don’t take prisoners. Turns out that the Flame Legion had kept a group of prisoners alive and in good health (good enough to fight) for a decade or so. You can see all this in Prophecies. So it was a political thing on both ends. Anyone keeping an open eye would have picked up on this.

But Adelbern pushed the war. As such, the Flame Legion got ever more and more desperate in their attempts to prove their superiority over humankind. Prisoners ended up in gladiatorial arenas (the Gwen missions), and the charr made a unified push against he gates of Ascalon. At the same time, the charr rebellion was already chipping away at their control, and their numbers.

The charr we see today aren’t under Flame Legion control. They’re just charr. And frankly, aside from being more hard nosed and wary, it turns out that they’re not that different from us. That they actually take care of their lands, and their beasts. Imagine that. No, they’re not mindless monsters that ate people and were bereft of mercy. They never were, even under Flame Legion rule. That was just the Ascalonian line that was fed you to make you want to fight them.

Basically, they were just people who’d been enslaved (thanks Abaddon), and were forced to fight a war. And they were forced to fight by a bunch of bumbling, inept shamans who—if not for the magic of the titans—could have been easily defeated. I mean, we’re talking about how they thought that the correct response to a woman training a small underground of rebels was to punish not only her, but every charr female ever with kitchen duties.

Gee, that’s not going to further inspire women to train in secret and join the rebellion, is it?

These guys weren’t exactly all there. Or very clever.

So the fact of the matter is is that around the time of Guild Wars, the whole thing was a massive mess. A big, huge, ugly mess. On the humans’ side you had the bloodthirsty, idiotic Adelbern, who couldn’t set his pride aside long enough to save his subjects. His son, desiring to do what his father wouldn’t (save his subjects), was cast out and disowned. On the charr side, you had the Flame Legion, whom I’ve explained about above.

And if that’s not enough… the people who remained around were turned into ghosts who were then enslaved to fight for Adelbern, forever. The man was a nutcase. A grade A nutjob. A whacko. Three-fries short of a happy meal. You know, completely bonzo. So now these poor people have to fight for eternity, unendingly. Why? Because they wanted to retreat when Adelbern didn’t.

So you have to understand that there’s a lot of perspective going on, here.

And you’re seeing things from the craaaaaaaaazy perspective of mad, mad ol’ Adelbern. Have fun with that. Or! Understand that things aren’t so black and white, and read up on the lore!

Charr zones

in Charr

AuldWolf.7598

TL;DR: What I’m trying to say is that neither of the faction leaders were innocent in Guild Wars. Not Madelbern and his nobles, nor the barmy Flame Legion. You’re seeing it from the perspective of that crazy old king, though, which is where you’re going wrong.

In the middle of those faction leaders, you had people who were either brainwashed to fight, felt they had to fight out of fear for their continued existence, or people who never fought (people you never saw on the field of battle). For example – name one charr female you fought in Guild Wars 1. See my point?

Madelbern and the barmy Flame Legion were a right bunch of crazies. It was all around bad leadership. But if you buy into the perspective of the leadership, then you’re seeing with the same level of clarity that mad old Adelbern had; which is to say – none.

Essentially, Guild Wars 2 centres around people, not the leaders. And you need to play it and understand things from their perspectives. People who’re now free of the barmy Flame Legion, and Madelbern.

Charr zones

in Charr

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

stuff

/clap

No, seriously, very well written and explains it better than I could.

Stuff goes here.

Charr zones

in Charr

Posted by: Shooopa.5632

Shooopa.5632

Did you follow any of the story in the previous game? The old charr leadership was religious fanatics. And the first half a charr’s personal story is fighting their remnants.

User will be infracted for this post.

Charr zones

in Charr

ptitminou.6489

Well since someone took the time to clearly explain the Charr (learned a few things too).

However, the point of my post was missed The point, in clearer words is… Charr are not Humans. Why do they behave like Humans do? They still base everything on honor, which really should lead anyone who claims honor to a point of extremes, which is why I was expecting Charr to be extremists, different, engaging. But no, humans with fur.

A Charr should eat a separatist, at least once. If elephants can eat humans simply because they are driven by hate, why cant a far more intelligent race in Tyria consume their enemies simply though the motivation that is hatred?

Charr zones

in Charr

Posted by: Shooopa.5632

Shooopa.5632

It wouldn’t make any sense to have the charr basically be primitives but still be able to build an entire city out of metal and organize three separate armies. They’d just be bigger grawl.

User will be infracted for this post.

Charr zones

in Charr

AuldWolf.7598

@ptitminou.6489

They still base everything on honor,

No, no they don’t. You’re failing to understand, and this failure is particularly and profoundly your own. You’ve shown this same failure in that other charr thread where I replied to you. You have a very, very narrow field of view, and thus your perspective and understanding are limited because of it.

If you play the charr personal storyline, you’ll find out that the word you’re looking for is loyalty, not honour. The charr believe in each other, in their warband, and in their legion. That’s not honour, that’s loyalty. Your notion that the charr all hold honour up as a standard is defeated by the charr idiom of ‘Victory at any cost!

You’ll never understand the charr, that much is clear. You have a clear need to hate them and pigeon-hole them. That’s fine. But at this point you’ve become transparent in doing so, especially with your reply in that other thread. They’re not human, no. But they’re not mindless beasts, either.

Your mind needs to be less binary. You can have things which are both not human, and not completely feral. There are many layers of subtlety involved. Haven’t you ever read any good fiction which involves non-human races?

(edited by AuldWolf.7598)

Charr zones

in Charr

AuldWolf.7598

@Shooopa.5632

P much, yeah. But he’s basically trying to convince himself that the charr are big, evil beasts. And he’s trying to find different ways to hate on them. He’s been doing that in other threads.

He’s not doing a very good job at undermining the charr. Not at all.