How do Charr grip things?

in Charr

Posted by: ZeroArmada.9426

ZeroArmada.9426

It always bothers me whenever I play any of my charr characters. How exactly CAN they have a firm grip on anything when they have such giant claws? Obviously they can’t completely ball up their fist like every other race. I try to imitate the way they “ball up” their fists by closing by hand but instead of curling in the fingers, I leave them straight out. I don’t know about you, but that isn’t comfortable at all and I don’t see how to have a firm grip on things.

in Charr

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

If you look, you’ll notice that charr have shorter fingers. Especially the final digit, which is just a paw (hand?) pad and claw growing out of it.

I really have no idea, though. Funny, this topic reminds me of a certain NPC in The Bane (arena/fighting pit) inside the Black Citadel that talks about how she absolutely hates balling her hands up like that when fighting. She’d rather use her claws and feels awkward without using them.

Stuff goes here.

(edited by Kravick.4906)

in Charr

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Y’ever see those gals at the Wallyworld registers? You know, with the two-inch long painted fingernails?

Yeah, I don’t know how they get through life either. =P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Charr

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Lorewise, the claws are retractible.

In retractible claws, the tip digit simply rotates backwards so when they makes a fist or hold something the surface area of the tip digit would still provide surface area. It just wouldn’t be the surface area in the same place on that last digit as you or I.

in Charr

ZeroArmada.9426

Lorewise, the claws are retractible.

In retractible claws, the tip digit simply rotates backwards so when they makes a fist or hold something the surface area of the tip digit would still provide surface area. It just wouldn’t be the surface area in the same place on that last digit as you or I.

Wait, really? I have never, ever heard of of the claws being able to retract.

in Charr

Posted by: Ishmael.6740

Ishmael.6740

Wait, really? I have never, ever heard of of the claws being able to retract.

I heard it’s stated in one of the books, Ghosts of Ascalon, iirc

in Charr

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

What Ishmael said. In Ghosts of Ascalon, Almorra Soulkeeper retracted her claws.

in Charr

ZeroArmada.9426

Huh…still haven’t finished Edge of Destiny yet, and GoA is next on my list. Still, I find it somewhat bothersome seeing my charr grip a sword or something with its claws out. That can’t be comfortable

in Charr

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

They’re cats ^^ The game model of their retractible claws isn’t realistic. If you’ve seen a cat paw you have a better idea of how it look and work, but with longer digit.

in Charr

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

It always bothers me whenever I play any of my charr characters. How exactly CAN they have a firm grip on anything when they have such giant claws? Obviously they can’t completely ball up their fist like every other race. I try to imitate the way they “ball up” their fists by closing by hand but instead of curling in the fingers, I leave them straight out. I don’t know about you, but that isn’t comfortable at all and I don’t see how to have a firm grip on things.

If you look at Rytlock in any dialogue videos, you can see his bottom tooth/teeth piercing through top of his muzzle.
When you get through that, you get through any design flaw.