Lore for Charr Guardian

Lore for Charr Guardian

in Charr

Posted by: Jarin Arenos.2736

Jarin Arenos.2736

In a conversation with my guildies, we settled on “charr guardian” as the strangest race/class combination, so of course I had to go make one. Now I’m just trying to figure out the foundation for the character. I’m currently going for “Iron Legion Technomancer”, but I’d like to get some outside ideas here. What are your thoughts on a charr guardian?

Lore for Charr Guardian

in Charr

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Making sure to stay on the same page, why do you think a Guardian isn’t fitting to Charr?

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

(edited by Lonewolf Kai.3682)

Lore for Charr Guardian

in Charr

Posted by: Caledore.6271

Caledore.6271

Guardians aren’t necessarily faith-based – at least not in a religious sense. Their magic can be fueled by loyalty and a desire to protect their comrades. The Charr are fiercely loyal to their warband members. A Charr Guardian, then, would draw on there faith in their comrades and these unbreakable bonds of loyalty to fuel their magic.

Though I will admit the names of the Guardian abilities often invoke a religious warrior feel, I would try to just ignore the ability names in that regard.

Lore for Charr Guardian

in Charr

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

That’s true.

I fancy my toon as one of the only Theistic Charr as a Guardian in the Legion. I’m often frowned upon by my superiors, but when they see the results in battle, they leave me alone.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

Lore for Charr Guardian

in Charr

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

As others have said, the Charr Guardian’s powers stem from the Charr’s pact mentality: the desire to use the means learned by the Charr to protect their warband. Jeff Gubb specifically cites this in his description of the Guardian that’s quoted on the GW2 wiki entry.

Lore for Charr Guardian

in Charr

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

An alternate method of Guardian empowerment could be as follows: faith in one’s Legion, and/or Imperator. Even, logically, faith in Charr supremacy (although, that character might be teetering on the edge of Ajax-ville.)

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

Lore for Charr Guardian

in Charr

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

As others have said, the Charr Guardian’s powers stem from the Charr’s pact mentality: the desire to use the means learned by the Charr to protect their warband. Jeff Gubb specifically cites this in his description of the Guardian that’s quoted on the GW2 wiki entry.

Yep, especially this part from his quote:

They are not tied to a particular race, philosophy, or group of gods but rather to a larger concept of proactive defense, of taking the fight to a foe and protecting those you fight alongside while appealing equally to humanity’s defensive nature and the charr’s desire to rule the battlefield.

So how do they work? Quite effectively once you think about the Charr Warband.
The Legion is mother, the legion is father, but the Warband is family.
No one hurts family without paying a hefty price.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Lore for Charr Guardian

in Charr

Jarin Arenos.2736

Thanks for the ideas. Quite helpful! A focus on protection of warband sounds like it’ll work perfectly.

Lore for Charr Guardian

in Charr

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Just randomly thought, since I have no guardians but think some of their abilities are cool, while your power could be loyalty to your Legion and Warband, something that may contribute to that power is your Legion and Warband’s loyalty to you. Think about the whole Leonidus/his 300, willing to sacrifice their lives for their cause and carry on those bonds regardless of struggle, fear or even death.

The Spirit weapons you summon would be the embodiments of those soldiers’ loyalty and faith, some fallen. Your strength is theirs and theirs yours.

Lore for Charr Guardian

in Charr

Posted by: Mwerevu.4013

Mwerevu.4013

Isn’t Dinky a guardian? So there is a precedent for it at least.

Lore for Charr Guardian

in Charr

Jarin Arenos.2736

Dinky is also… well… unique. :P

Lore for Charr Guardian

in Charr

Posted by: LastDarkness.7390

LastDarkness.7390

I find your guildies lack of imagination boring.

Asura Hunters (Particularly melee ones)
Sylvari and Norn Engineers
Norn Thief (Huge ones)
Asura Guardian

Surely these seem stranger?
I always thought I didnt see enough Charr Thieves though personaly.

Lore for Charr Guardian

in Charr

Posted by: Nittles.1582

Nittles.1582

I find your guildies lack of imagination boring.

Asura Hunters (Particularly melee ones)
Sylvari and Norn Engineers
Norn Thief (Huge ones)
Asura Guardian

Surely these seem stranger?
I always thought I didnt see enough Charr Thieves though personaly.

I’ve got an Asuran Guardian, and I’ve made literally all of these at some point except Norn Engie. I guess I’m just wierd.

Strangely enough, Asuran engies are also pretty out of character, since they use steampunky tech, not magitek.

Lore for Charr Guardian

in Charr

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I have a norn engineer. Part of her backstory is that she was going to be an Artificer (and still is in her spare time) because she’s fascinated by gadgets and potions, but she inherited her parents wanderlust and would never have been happy staying in Hoelbrak, she got talking to some Iron Legion guys and discovered there was a way to combine her passions.

I also have an asuran guardian but I haven’t really worked out a backstory for her yet, only that she decided she couldn’t stay at home inventing when the world is in danger.

I have a charr thief too but that doesn’t seem at all strange to me considering he’s Ash Legion.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Lore for Charr Guardian

in Charr

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

When it comes to lore..any adventurer can be anything they want to be. For the culture lore I’m assuming they learn all of the professions which is why its available to all races instead of a few. That’s creativity right there not sticking to one method, but branching it out.

Pineapples

Lore for Charr Guardian

in Charr

Posted by: Qwyksylver Vyqtunos.6312

Qwyksylver Vyqtunos.6312

honestly one of the strangest race/class combos would be a charr spellcaster of anytime if you take into account the history they had with the flame legion who were the primary spellcasting legion. imo charr mesmer would be pretty strange. a very strength dominated culture race playing a subtle “in your head” spellcaster

Raagar Deathclaw-Necromancer | Korgin Shadowmind-Mesmer

Circle of Legends [BOLD]