New Khan-Ur?

New Khan-Ur?

in Charr

Posted by: Gaianus.5324

Gaianus.5324

So, maybe I was just blind and deaf when I was taking my first Charr through Ashford Plains, but I really don’t remember this. No offense to my Iron Legion brethren, but for my two Charr characters thus far, I went with Blood and Ash, because an engineer or mechanically-inclined, I am not. And when I was first leveling my Blood Legion Warrior, I didn’t hear anything- maybe Iron was too intimidated by him to say it out loud, or something.

But when I was leveling up my Ash Legion Necromancer, all I heard from Iron Legion NPC’s in the game world, especially Ashford, is about how much the other two Legions sucked, and how Smodur was going to be the new Khan-Ur. I mean, I dunno- I sort of thought Iron would be smarter than that. From what I’ve read, Khan-Ur has an occupational hazard not unlike the Roman Emperors whenever the Praetorian Guard gets particularly enthusiastic.

With the way things are, Iron certainly does have its strengths with the whole Black Citadel- but where do they get off thinking they can do it all alone? The Lore has made it very clear that without the Blood Legion acting as a Vanguard and general muscle, and Ash scouting ahead and rooting out sabotage within the Citadel, Iron couldn’t manage Ascalon- and Ascalon is only one third of the lands Charr Legions control, though it’s probably the Jewel in the Crown. So, is this something Anet added recently, perhaps maybe hinting at new plots in an expansion? Or is it just particularly zealous Iron soldiers blowing hot air, and I just missed it my first time in Ashford?

New Khan-Ur?

in Charr

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

I’m pretty sure I’ve been hearing that for a while. Usually when I sit around near the cultural armour guys in the citadel, previewing bits.

New Khan-Ur?

in Charr

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

Khan-Ur was the name given to the Charr commander who could bring all legions together under him. (Actually, it was the name of the only Charr who was able to do it. After he died his sons started fighting over the title and founded the existing legions: Flame, Ash, Iron and Blood.)

These bits of lore are from GW1. So it’s normal you didn’t know them if you are new to the game.

So it’s just inter-group competition really. They never said they can do everything alone, just that their leader would be the almighty Khan-Ur and that the Legionnaires of the other legions were nothing compared to theirs. Just like how a group of friends playing sPvP and saying they are actually the best but they still have to co-operate… (Except that the charr are less friends)

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

New Khan-Ur?

in Charr

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

Those NPC lines have been around since beta. It is probably just that you didn’t notice the first time around due to there just being so much information to take in.

I am not entirely sure where I heard it (maybe from Wooden Potatoes), but I heard a rumour that Smodur very well plans to destroy the ancient artifact that basically designates the title of Khan-Ur to satisfy his obsession with “moving on from and forgetting the past” so to speak. Also, something about Queen Jennah holding this (basically) holy Charr relic (used for leverage in the Charr-Human peace agreement).

Basically my thinking is: if Smodur get what he wants, their will probably be a new Khan-Ur… but it won’t be him, it will be whomever skins him and mounts his head on a pike after his, what basically is, blasphemous act of destroying an important ancient artifact.

New Khan-Ur?

in Charr

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Smodur the Unflinching does indeed currently possess the Claw of the Khan-Ur (a gift to him from Queen Jennah to seal the peace treaty between their two races), but we don’t currently know what are his plans for it. He hasn’t tried to claim the title of Khan-Ur for himself, probably because he knows that the Imperators of the Blood and Ash Legions will certainly contest him for the title if he attempts it, which runs the risk of plunging the Charr back into civil war, which is something he cannot afford to do while they are still fighting against the ghosts and the Flame Legion.

I think it’s more likely that Smodur will simply keep the Claw in safe-keeping until a time when the Flame Legion has been completely subdued/destroyed before deciding what to do with it. Simply having it in his possession grants him a great amount of prestige and political clout, which he can use to consolidate his power base even without claiming the title of Khan-Ur.

New Khan-Ur?

in Charr

Posted by: Ramethzero.3785

Ramethzero.3785

I’m with Zaxares on this one. Its worth more to him as a symbol then it is a title.

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

New Khan-Ur?

in Charr

Posted by: NolanP.7604

NolanP.7604

Smodur is only the imperator of the black citadel and basically the head charr who helped worked out the treaty with the humans..the other two being the other imperators for the other legions as being Khan-Ur there are three canidates the current three imperators who are all decendants of the original so the claw could eventually go to any of them

New Khan-Ur?

in Charr

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Funny fact: The last person to use the Claw of Khan-Ur as the weapon it is is was a human.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

New Khan-Ur?

in Charr

Posted by: Khyron.8735

Khyron.8735

Funny fact: The last person to use the Claw of Khan-Ur as the weapon it is is was a human.

Just as Sohothin is being used by a Charr.

Ad majorem gloriam! Ad infinitum!

New Khan-Ur?

in Charr

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

Smodur is only the imperator of the black citadel and basically the head charr who helped worked out the treaty with the humans

Now that doesn’t sound like something a true Khan Ur would do. Making peace agreements with long time enemies, giving up sovereignty to foreigners (internationalist Pact forces running unchecked around Ascalon, interfering with Charr affairs as they see fit).

A new Flame Legion imperator would have do more to keep the Charr independent and strong than Smodur could ever do.