The Charr is my favorite race?

in Charr

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

I guess I have weird taste, but in most MMOs I tend to play as the ugly, beastly race. I have a sylvari and charr and I find they both tie as my favorite race. The choice is simple for sylvari, they’re like humans only much more creative and appealing to me, but why the charr?

-They’re the most intimidating playable race to me, I suppose according to lore the norn are physically stronger, but the charr have that savage, yet tactical nature I very much like. They’re not just scary because they are large predatory beasts, but they have the intelligence to back up their strength to strategize and conquer using technology.

-They feel less humanoid than other races, A lot of people will probably disagree with me on this, but I like the all on fours running animation of the charr. I love Skyrim, but the designs of the argonian and khajiit bothered me because they seemed a little too human-like for my taste. The khajiit, another feline-like race, looks like a human with a cat head, not messing around with anatomy and behaviors too much. That’s what I like about the charr, they possess human-like qualities such as speaking english and using technology, but they also have different anatomy and behaviors that mix qualities of both man and beast.

-The armor, let me get this out of the way, clipping is an issue in some sets, I hate how when I want to wear a helm my charr magically goes bald, floating shoulder pads too. Despite this, maxing my first charr I didn’t experience many horrendous clippings with the exception of the helms, but I always liked having my helm not visible because the face of the charr is scarier than any mask. Mine wears heavy armor and it really does look because things like shoulder pads and back items are much larger and make your character look more intimidating in size. Sometimes it can be a task to find the right armor, but I mixed and matched and when I finally got my mixed armor set together it really did look great.

I don’t hate human or born players, I like all the races, these were just some of my personal thoughts on the charr.

in Charr

Posted by: Harak.8397

Harak.8397

I agree on all of your points, expecially the" running on all fours" and “not being a human with a cat head” ones. On the other hand, due to the charr’s unique anatomy my main character hasn’t changed his armor’s looks since a few months after the game’s release. (Mix of T2 and T3 heavy) EVERYTHING that comes out of the gem store doesn’t apply to charr. Most helms in the game saw off your horns and let’s forget about tails.

I have a few human characters and they get the complete opposite from in game items and gemstore ones. Suddenly I have too much choice! It’s kind of depressing because I would love to support the game more.

in Charr

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

Then we are two… Charr is my absolute favourite race too!

Kima & Co

in Charr

Posted by: Name.9625

Name.9625

And it is my favourite race as well. And we do deserve more love and care from Anet

in Charr

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I think I have 5 charr now? 6? I forget. But obviously they’re my favorite. }}:3

It’s so shabby that they don’t have a few team art asset programmers to go back and fix some of the terrible costume applications ]{:(

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Charr

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I have two charr out of my 11 characters so far, but I really want a Charrdian to go with my Necro and Ranger. I love all of my characters and would in a heartbeat change my engie from human to charr if race change were a possiblity.

The worst part about the helms is when your horns get removed. So for the most part helms stay hidden on my charr. I can deal with tail clipping issues…that’s fine, not great but not the end of the world. But why oh why does Charr cultrual have clipping anywhere? If they only fix the clipping problems with Charr cultural armor I’d be happy.

in Charr

DrDivine.5378

I agree on all of your points, expecially the" running on all fours" and “not being a human with a cat head” ones. On the other hand, due to the charr’s unique anatomy my main character hasn’t changed his armor’s looks since a few months after the game’s release. (Mix of T2 and T3 heavy) EVERYTHING that comes out of the gem store doesn’t apply to charr. Most helms in the game saw off your horns and let’s forget about tails.

I have a few human characters and they get the complete opposite from in game items and gemstore ones. Suddenly I have too much choice! It’s kind of depressing because I would love to support the game more.

I agree, the gem store does have some pieces I think that look good such as shoulders, chestplates, etc. where it all falls apart is the helmets. With the exception of masks, most helmet choices just look very awkward due to clipping issues.

I have two charr out of my 11 characters so far, but I really want a Charrdian to go with my Necro and Ranger. I love all of my characters and would in a heartbeat change my engie from human to charr if race change were a possiblity.

The worst part about the helms is when your horns get removed. So for the most part helms stay hidden on my charr. I can deal with tail clipping issues…that’s fine, not great but not the end of the world. But why oh why does Charr cultrual have clipping anywhere? If they only fix the clipping problems with Charr cultural armor I’d be happy.

The tail clipping never really bothered me that much, it was more of the helmets. I don’t like the removal of horns or hair when I put on most helmets. Charr are probably the most difficult race to make armor for, the other playable races are mostly share the same general anatomy with an erect posture. The char are hunched over, have things like tails and horns.

in Charr

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

-They feel less humanoid than other races, A lot of people will probably disagree with me on this, but I like the all on fours running animation of the charr. I love Skyrim, but the designs of the argonian and khajiit bothered me because they seemed a little too human-like for my taste. The khajiit, another feline-like race, looks like a human with a cat head, not messing around with anatomy and behaviors too much. That’s what I like about the charr, they possess human-like qualities such as speaking english and using technology, but they also have different anatomy and behaviors that mix qualities of both man and beast.

That’s something that’s always bothered me about Elder Scrolls games. Their beast races don’t just look like humans with beast heads, they are reskinned humans with beast heads and tails. For whatever reason they’re too lazy to do another animation rig.

I’m not really a fan of the charr gait, but I’ll give Arenanet credit for trying.

in Charr

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

I have seven level 80 Charr, and two sylvari at 80. Leveling an additional one of each. I figure we can’t be too different, OP!

I personally love that Charr run on all fours. Maybe it’s as much due to my potential OCD as anything, but I always sheath my weapons after combat.

And yes, I can live with some of the tail clip, it’s the helmets that drive me insane. I have exactly two (Charr) characters with shown helms, and one is just a goggle eye piece. I’ve similarly given up on a lot of shoulderpads – I tend to reuse a lot of the same ones that don’t magically float or aren’t the size of a mini cooper.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

(edited by Halcyon.7352)

in Charr

DrDivine.5378

That’s something that’s always bothered me about Elder Scrolls games. Their beast races don’t just look like humans with beast heads, they are reskinned humans with beast heads and tails. For whatever reason they’re too lazy to do another animation rig.

I’m not really a fan of the charr gait, but I’ll give Arenanet credit for trying.

I’m really glad this didn’t bother just me lol, I love the idea of the argonians and khajiit, I just wish they were more beast-like. You could argue this was so armor would look good on all races without clipping or stretching, but they look too humanoid to me.

The werewolf is a good example, the anatomy is slightly altered so it’s humanoid, but still very beast-like.

in Charr

DrDivine.5378

I have seven level 80 Charr, and two sylvari at 80. Leveling an additional one of each. I figure we can’t be too different, OP!

I personally love that Charr run on all fours. Maybe it’s as much due to my potential OCD as anything, but I always sheath my weapons after combat.

And yes, I can live with some of the tail clip, it’s the helmets that drive me insane. I have exactly two (Charr) characters with shown helms, and one is just a goggle eye piece. I’ve similarly given up on a lot of shoulderpads – I tend to reuse a lot of the same ones that don’t magically float or aren’t the size of a mini cooper.

Yes helmets are the biggest problem right now, it’s a good thing they can still look just as kitten without a helmet lol. I actually do like some of the warpaint/scar skins on the charr better than helmets.

in Charr

Posted by: FunnyCide.5426

FunnyCide.5426

I love charr too. I agree that it’s because they are cat not cat girl/boy like you see a lot of other places. I love that they run on all four paws and that their tails are animated while standing still. My charr almost instantly became my main once I finally made her.

The biggest thing that bothers me with trying to clothe charr is that there are so many skirts and coats…like I want to be running on all fours and have that hanging off my waste to trip over. I’d like to see more pants that are just pants and nothing dangling off them.

in Charr

DrDivine.5378

I love charr too. I agree that it’s because they are cat not cat girl/boy like you see a lot of other places. I love that they run on all four paws and that their tails are animated while standing still. My charr almost instantly became my main once I finally made her.

The biggest thing that bothers me with trying to clothe charr is that there are so many skirts and coats…like I want to be running on all fours and have that hanging off my waste to trip over. I’d like to see more pants that are just pants and nothing dangling off them.

I do understand the concern with skirts and coats, hopefully they will come out with more suitable pants in the future haha

in Charr

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

I do understand the concern with skirts and coats, hopefully they will come out with more suitable pants in the future haha

Nonsense – It’s totally logical and in no way shape or form annoying that my plethora of skirty pants and oversized coats poof in an exaggerated manner every time I shoot a rifle or fire a bow!

…but yeah, would be really nice to have more pants and especially chests for medium wearers. And I do mean ‘pants’.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

in Charr

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

There are a lot of reasons I like Charr. Mostly because they’re like D&D’s hobgoblins, but even more awesome.

Their appearance is also great, but the clipping from their armors is absolutely unacceptable. I don’t mind the knee-length kilts, but I wish they were rigged to the tails properly, like several of the ‘worn’ armor meshes.

I like that, unlike a lot of games where the animal race is primitive/tribal/shamanistic/primal, the Charr are technologically advanced, incredibly intelligent, well-organized, and extremely ‘modern’.

Second favorite race has to be the Norn, because they have so much fun. On the other hand, Charr and Norn get along very well – I wonder how much of that friendship is from them trying to kill each other first (Like two guys forging a friendship over a bar brawl).

in Charr

DrDivine.5378

There are a lot of reasons I like Charr. Mostly because they’re like D&D’s hobgoblins, but even more awesome.

Their appearance is also great, but the clipping from their armors is absolutely unacceptable. I don’t mind the knee-length kilts, but I wish they were rigged to the tails properly, like several of the ‘worn’ armor meshes.

I like that, unlike a lot of games where the animal race is primitive/tribal/shamanistic/primal, the Charr are technologically advanced, incredibly intelligent, well-organized, and extremely ‘modern’.

Second favorite race has to be the Norn, because they have so much fun. On the other hand, Charr and Norn get along very well – I wonder how much of that friendship is from them trying to kill each other first (Like two guys forging a friendship over a bar brawl).

I agree, in the first game they were more of tribal savages, in this game they’re a lot more technologically advance and that really does make them scarier that these hulking beasts have intelligence to back up their brawn.

The relationship between norn and charr are funny, they are so close in strength, yet so far apart in personality. My second favorite race has to be the sylvari, I just really love the design of the race and it’s home world.

in Charr

Posted by: that baby stealing dingo.7216

that baby stealing dingo.7216

The Charr believe in self-sacrifice for the greater good, which I find appealing. They are the ultimate team-players, as a race. Whereas the Norn seek personal glory, the Charr seek glory for their warband and their legion.

Their animations are great. Like the way they hold staves and of course the all-fours running.

They are also full of bluster, and have a sense of humor (unlike the cabbage elves, who are admittedly my second favorite race).

You can play a Charr, or you can be among the weak and hairless.

I have a sword, a dagger, and an estimated life span of 2.47 seconds.

in Charr

Posted by: ferr.6403

ferr.6403

Charr are the only thing I like in guildwars2. I tried to like the rest of the game, but I failed xD For the meat legions!

in Charr

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I recently made my first Charr after having always made humans. The whole clipping thing bothered me and I’m a sucker for playing dress up with my characters. Knowing once I found a good outfit for my Charr I probably wouldn’t be able to change it I never found them very appealing. Now that I’ve made one however, I absolutely love them.
I’ve always enjoyed their lore, their animations, I actually enjoy a lot of things about them I was just avoiding making one because of all the bad things I hear about clipping, jumping puzzles etc.
.. Wish I had sooner though, I really love this race. I now sport a maximum sized Charr Warrior female, Barbie Blackstone ( :
Just call her Barb or she might take a bite out of you ( ;

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Charr

Posted by: NeyteriKiyeri.4207

NeyteriKiyeri.4207

The charr are my favo race too. i have a whole bunch of Charrs now: male and female.

Follow your heart and your dreams won’t be far behind.

in Charr

Posted by: Myst.5783

Myst.5783

I think I would have to vote charr my favorite also.

I like charr as they are a good mix of cute + fierce + different. Salad faces and ego-rats tie for last though.

Currently playing: Mesmer/Ele/Theif
JQ