The nature of Charr names

in Charr

Posted by: Lyuben.2613

Lyuben.2613

I named my Charr Necro Bast Drazet

Nothing too charry.

Just found two lovecraftian gods and mashed them together. Seemed to work ok.

Vibor Bauman- Level 80 Engineer- Gandara

in Charr

Posted by: DrakeWurrum.6049

DrakeWurrum.6049

So, basically? I just know my stuff. It’s because I eat, sleep, and breathe charr.

Isn’t that rather unhealthy? They have a lot of fur… breathing problems and whatnot.

Anyway, Auld, your insight into the charr naming schemes are quite helpful and look well thought out. Thank you!

Sadly, I didn’t look at this thread before naming my charr. Her name is Dakna Sharpnose. By the modern naming convention her warband name is Nose… very unfortunate for the warband there.

Or you could just say “screw it” and stick to being in the Sharp warband. :P

I hope you haven’t forgotten my role in this little story. I’m the leading man.
You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

in Charr

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

LOL, I don’t know, maybe for Charr, the nose is a regal thing to be commemorated in the name of a warband.

My Charr’s name is Madi Ao, so I kind of failed on the naming. She’s my necromancer, though, so maybe she has a Charr name, and just calls herself something else, instead. idk. I’d remake her, but I like the name ‘cuz it means ’spilled blood’ in Swahili.

in Charr

Posted by: Strife.4956

Strife.4956

My Charr Warrior’s name is GrimmWullf
He was never accepted to a War band due to his fathers rebellious actions and since then chose to proceed in life as a solitary soldier.
Only when Rytlock takes an interest in him personally does he see the follow of his ways, though he never takes a warband Surname

GrimmWullf – 80 Warrior, DU
Arkktos – 80 Thief, DU
Down Under Guild – Stormbluff Isle

in Charr

Posted by: Greyfur.1082

Greyfur.1082

Sivarson Greyfur.
I loved the Kilrathi’s war Goddess Sivar in Wing Commander so I had to honor that race with the Charr. Greyfur because I have a fluffy cat at home with grey and white fur. The character creator allowed me to make a cat close to what he looks like too.

Heh, nice name

in Charr

Posted by: Avan.1540

Avan.1540

I had been debating between using the claimed+warband surname or merely leaving it to be implied and just use the given name as the ‘display name’ (as seen with a handful of NPCs, including those in your personal story warband), with the reasoning being that it would leave more flexibility for future RPing with friends; I ended up going with the latter choice for aforementioned flexibility. I still have the rest of my character slots and may end up having a mix of naming conventions.

20+ Charracters – Charr only player – NA Kaineng
Give Charr armor some more love!
Let us show our spots, stripes, or lack-there-of in style.

in Charr

Posted by: JamesPies.6342

JamesPies.6342

My Charr Engineer is simply called “Rustbane” as I thought it was a cool name and fits with a lot of Charr naming conventions I’ve seen.

in Charr

Posted by: siepher.9408

siepher.9408

I went with the warband+claimed name model and now have an iron legion charr warrior named ulrich fuzzymane. Ulrich, being inspired from the movie a knights tale, and having that gutteral sound to it and fuzzymane because….. he was the dirty cub in his farhar.

in Charr

Posted by: BakBakaa.2453

BakBakaa.2453

I went with Grimm Gearbeard. I guess my character is known for his beard? Kind of fitting since I picked the one char face that has a full beard

in Charr

Posted by: Destroyer Bravo.5391

Destroyer Bravo.5391

I made my main Nurrak Irongut… Gut warband? Meh, I saw a cub in the beta rambling about a Spit warband. Charr engineer, so I guess Iron fits as a taken name. Iron warband’s a bit weird…

in Charr

Posted by: AuldWolf.7598

AuldWolf.7598

@Destroyer Bravo.5391

Check out my naming guide a bit back, it’s fairly comprehensive. Classic warband names actually had things reversed, they had the warband name before the claimed name. In other words, Iron could be the warband name, and perhaps gut could be the claimed name.

Why? Well, maybe you were the drinker of your group. Maybe you could drink even norns under the table and you could hold your liquor like no one else. Thus, for that claimed the name of ‘gut,’ as a charr who had a gut that couldn’t be eroded by anything. Irongut.

Charr naming conventions are more forgiving than most seem to think!

in Charr

Posted by: tracytigress.8734

tracytigress.8734

My Charr Ranger is called Lorna Swiftbow, and my friend’s Thief is Rahjak Swiftdraw. Both are part of a Swift warband

in Charr

Posted by: Feuer Liebt Mich.8524

Feuer Liebt Mich.8524

My friends at ISU and I have all named our Charr characters into the same warband, specifically Rage. I, for example, am Blargle Ragequit. Some of my friends are more serious about it, with proper surnames like Rageblade.

in Charr

Posted by: Psychrome.9281

Psychrome.9281

my character name is Psychrome Justice which fits his personality as he values jsutice over anything else and since within the game you actually form a warband of your own i guess it would be the Justice Warband

in Charr

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

My Charr Mesmer is called Straut Livetongue. I still haven’t decided which one is the warband name.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

in Charr

Posted by: Kobold Factotum.3698

Kobold Factotum.3698

I actually didn’t give my Charr Theif a last name for this very reason: His warband was wiped out, he’ll never come to terms with that, coupled with some other things that would be spoilers to mention, but it’s safe to say that he can’t bring himself to take on the surname of a dead warband.

So he’s just Rawnt.

in Charr

Posted by: Zeid Valentine.2603

Zeid Valentine.2603

I am Ghrom The Cold. Iron Legion Necromancer.
I decided he was going to be proud, ferocious, militaristic and a cold calculating predator which i think are the Charr’s best attributes and a mayor part of their culture.

“Victory at any cost.”

in Charr

Posted by: Red SuperGiant.8653

Red SuperGiant.8653

I name mine after Orks from The W40k series. So in that regard my charr’s name is Gorgutz Skarnob.

in Charr

Posted by: Chaki.8207

Chaki.8207

Asked a buddy of mine what “honey” in italian meant. Tesoro, he said (He’s half italian, so he should know). Made it Tesora Ironstorm.
Bam instant engineer of the Blood Legion. Though now he is probably changing warbands so she will switch the name.

Another nice one is Ganni Hullrender, from the Rend warband. Mesmer of the Iron Legion. He was basically a siege engine commander and legionnaire in his warband, until his engine got hit badly and his foot took a serious beating. Crippled and now being 50 summers of age, he serves as a Quaestor in the Arsenal.
He specialized in tearing down other siege engines, hence Hullrender.

Veritas vos Liberabit

in Charr

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

My guild has a ‘warband’ of charr, some play them as mains some as alts and we’ve all adopted ‘Feral’ as a common name. So for example my Charr is Titian Feralspur. It makes for a unique little tie to each other when we see other out and about in the world. We also do some roleplay where we get together as a warband and stomp some DEs or something.

That’s awesome. I was wondering if anyone did anything like that with any of the racial groupings (warbands, krewes, ect). Seems like it’d be a fun RP experience.

My first Charr character was also my first character in GW2 period and I hadn’t done any research into names or anything, not really even knowing that different races and their names would follow different “templates”. So I just named him Geirikk based on nothing besides the name sounding good. Actually turns out to be a pretty good first name for a male Charr, fits most of the criteria on the GW2 wiki. But not having a surname now that I know what the surname actually entails is a bummer, I really like the idea of the surname being tied to warband. I did pick the Flame Legion father bio option, so I’ve at least been able to somewhat rationalize it with that. Something like his surname being given by the Flame Legion and giving it up when he left. Since it seems Charr never take a new surname even when they change warband (at least none of the ones you recruit do, but that could just be a gameplay thing).

Thankfully my second Charr I knew better and was able to make a fitting name with the warband / role naming scheme. Cazza Gearburst is her name, Gear being the name of the warband (yah, it sucks, so what, I’m not very good at names :p) and burst because she’s quick and aggressive.

in Charr

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Name: Krushak Doomblade. (Doom is the warband name, but he bears no relation to to Vaatlaw Doomtooth or Pyre Fierceshot.)
Legion: Blood.
Duty: Adjutant to Rytlock Brimstone and embedded liaison with the Vigil.

I always wanted a harsh, guttural name for my male Charr, so after rolling a few syllables off my tongue to see which one sounded the best, I ended up with Krushak (pronounced “Crew-shark”). I knew I was going to make him into a sword and shield user, and since he was of the Blood Legion, he lives to bring “doom” to his enemies, so “Doomblade” became his surname.

in Charr

Posted by: Blueroseknight.7954

Blueroseknight.7954

Generally your average Charr is names something like Kill Grimdark. Mine is named Giggles Glitterstar. His parents were the Charr equivalent of hippies.

in Charr

Posted by: MikeRocks.9243

MikeRocks.9243

Of the Glitter Warband? Or the Star Warband?

Either way, I’m fairly certain they’re the most FABULOUS WARBAND IN TOWN!!!

The Long Road
Goal: To have one character of every race, gender, and armor class combination at level 80.
Current progress: Human 4/6 | Charr 1/6 | Norn 1/6 | Sylvari 1/6 | Asura 1/6 | Total: 8/30

in Charr

Posted by: vince.5937

vince.5937

My Charrdian (guess what profession HE is) is named Orran Ironspine. Iron Warband, known for having a ridiculous amount of fortitude. Orran, I feel, follows the ‘guttural’ naming convention mentioned above. Of course, I rolled him way before I read this thread, so go figure I knock the naming convention out of the park before knowing it existed.

vince.5937 — Tarnished Coast — Les Saintes
R.I.P. City of Heroes, 2004-2012
Long Live Atlas Park 33

in Charr

Posted by: wumpusrat.4769

wumpusrat.4769

My charr just has a singular name: Longtalon

She’s a necromancer, so I thought it was fitting in a fashion — her reach is very long. Even beyond death.

in Charr

Posted by: Arkengel RaF.9672

Arkengel RaF.9672

Aww man so many cool names, I’m afraid my charr is called Cornilius Softpaw.

in Charr

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

I have a necro called Byron Shadowfur (for the death cloak :p )
and a warrior called Katsumi Bittersteel.

Charr warriors are made to wield the Greatsaw!

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Charr

Posted by: Shadowdawn.7946

Shadowdawn.7946

I have a thief called Shazyx Shadowdawn of the Shadow warband. Here is something I’ve posted before on different legion naming conventions.

Ash names
Use softer sounds for the first name, S, A, Th, Y/I, IA, Sh. Last names will sound mysterious, examples Haunt, Ghost, -tail, -fang, Mist, Soul, -shroud, Coal.
Blood names
Harsh sounds with few vowel sounds, R, T, Ch, Ck. Last names have warlike meanings, examples Sword, Fire, -claw, Skull, -smash, Lion, -strike, -claw.
Iron names
First names usually have these letters and sounds in them, M, E, Ee, L, Oa, Mor. Last names have machine like things in them examples, Gadget, -bomb, Tool, -tinker, Steel, -bolt, -scrap.
Hope these help anyone who needs naming help for the Charr.

I love all things Charr. They’re badkitten!

in Charr

Posted by: EmoxiHaX.1726

EmoxiHaX.1726

my charrs name is
Bouse

very fitting!

in Charr

Posted by: Vargos.6987

Vargos.6987

Another interesting factoid on Charr names that I didn’t see posted here yet (sorry if I missed it) is the Legion primus warband names. Each of the legions – Blood, Ash, Iron, and Flame – has a primus warband that the legion is named after. This is typically a hereditary warband similar to a monarchy, but the offspring of the primus members still have to fulfill a challenge or battle for their right to bear the name. So the surname of a primus warband member from each legion might be Bloodbane, Ashwalker, Irongrip, and Flametongue.

My engineer wasn’t so presumptuous as to belong to a primus warband so his name is Vargos Grimfang, biggest teeth in the Grim warband, Iron Legion.

My warrior, however, is the offspring of a loyal soldier of the Blood legion primus warband, so his name is Vargos Bloodreaver.