A True Precursor Quest

A True Precursor Quest

in Crafting

Posted by: Ozymandias.3942

Ozymandias.3942

I know the Great Precursor Problem has been the subject of immeasurable angst and frustration within these forums, and I hesitate to add my voice to the masses. However, a friend recently suggested something that struck me with its simplicity and effectiveness. Since he is not a forum-goer, I will pass it along here.

Make account-bound precursors available for 100 laurels each.

Currently, the precursor hunt is so despicable for so many because there is no measurable way to track your progress. Hundreds of gold can be flushed through the mystic forge, and no amount of failures boosts your odds for later success.

By making precursors available through laurels, you are keeping them at an extremely steep price (many months of work) and also encouraging people to go out into the world and play the game. Rather than endlessly farming highly lucrative dungeons, players can go complete their dailies/monthlies and track their progress along the way.

This change has the added bonus of not trivializing the existing precursor market. Normal precursors should still be able to be bought and sold as usual, so the hardcore players who want their legendary right now have the option to continue gambling in the forge or buying it off the tp. This system would really make the precursor a ‘legendary quest’ – you could even have them available only from a special laurel vendor that opens up after an epic event chain in the new content.

I hope this does not fall on deaf ears, and an ANet dev takes the time to think what this change could do for the game. While I was lucky enough to roll Dawn and complete my Sunrise, I know many who feel helpless and frustrated at the lack of progress towards their precursors. Making them an account bound laurel reward will keep legendaries extremely rare while greatly reducing the amount of despair and hopelessness many are feeling.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

-Ozymandias X

A True Precursor Quest

in Crafting

Posted by: Cauldron.1653

Cauldron.1653

Of course this would make the precursor market prices plummet so naturally people who are in control of these (or just regular sellers with no large quantities) will be sort of against it.

But the prices will stabilize and I think they will start to slowly rise again if the time edge that buying one gives you is really huge, e.g. if 365 or more laurels were required.

Overall it is one of the better ideas and I would support it.

“Your subterfuge of incognizance will erode under my fulgent dupery”

A True Precursor Quest

in Crafting

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

The best way is to keep the system as it is right now, but allow tokens that are rewarded through the forge that will give you a precursor after x amount

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

A True Precursor Quest

in Crafting

Posted by: Pangie.3217

Pangie.3217

I’d be happy if this was the case. I only need the precursor for my legendary and have been farming dragons and trying the forge with no luck. Today I tried a lot of rares in the forge and didn’t even receive one exotic in return. While my friend has dumped hundreds of gold into the forge trying to get his and has also been unlucky.

However, if this way is perceived as too easy I would also be happy if you you had to buy some sort of gift with the 100 laurel and combine it with 3 other stuff in the forge and out pops your precursor. As long as the 3 other things doesn’t require luck and instead dedication and hard wok. Maybe one of the other stuff you can only get after you have 4000 achievement points.

(edited by Pangie.3217)

A True Precursor Quest

in Crafting

Posted by: eupholax.7025

eupholax.7025

I had an idea similar to this so it’s refreshing to think I’m not crazy

My idea was to make a the precursors crafted like almost every other weapon in the game, so (let’s say the precursor is dawn) you would need a GS blade and hilt both purchased via laurels and two other precursor specific items.

But where would we buy these parts, this is where the scavenger hunt comes in, laurel mercants selling parts of each precursors would put in the world, but…… their location would change every day when the daily resets

This makes sense to me how about you guys?

A True Precursor Quest

in Crafting

Posted by: Jehuty.7426

Jehuty.7426

1500 badges from all dungeons and 1500 badges of honor… And this will be good way to DESERVE precursor

A True Precursor Quest

in Crafting

Posted by: gaborkaldy.3210

gaborkaldy.3210

For me its a joke that you can actually buy your legendary. It should be way more than that. Be honest, 90% of the legendary weapon even if you craft it can be bought from the TP. The fact you have hoarded 1000 gold shows you are dedicated but does it shows that you are a legendary player?

It should be acquired through a really legendary quest. I imagine it like this:

5000 (10000?) kills in WvW
100% map competition
1000 sPvP kills
All dungeons All path completititon
Master Crafter
Full Slayer
Maxed Weapon Achievement on the selected weapon

THIS would make some1 legendary not the countless hours of farming or playing with the TP prices.

It’s always Beer Time!
Desolation – [TEU]

(edited by gaborkaldy.3210)

A True Precursor Quest

in Crafting

Posted by: Kenage Achalarus.4276

Kenage Achalarus.4276

I still find it funnie that inorder to get you legendary you need legendary pockets lol. some deep pockets actully if you going for sunrise or twlight. but i actully love the idea for account bound precursors. but i don’t know about an epic event for the Laural though it be just like the kakra event which is truly lost to anet (looking at you lost shores) but at the moment anet says their watching the prices but they are to busy trying to do other stoff. Look at the persecutor forum at the top of crafting forums it alredy has over 1000 posts from people and not much from anet so that proves my point.

a Mesmer with a Greatsword [Confusion], your mind has been [Mind Wrack]

A True Precursor Quest

in Crafting

Posted by: Ely.3468

Ely.3468

For me its a joke that you can actually buy your legendary. It should be way more than that. It should be acquired through a really legendary quest.

Agreed, like about everyone that is remotely reasonnable.

But

5000 (10000?) kills in WvW
100% map competition
1000 sPvP kills
All dungeons All path completititon
Master Crafter
Full Slayer
Maxed Weapon Achievement on the selected weapon

All those are also farming.
> It’s really not “legendary” to make 5000 WvW kills (unless you play a thief, which might prevent you from benefiting from aoe kills.
> It’s not legendary to make 1000 sPvP kills.
> Full slayer is by far the nest example of farming you could give
And I won’t even have to tell you that each of those requirements would be huge barriers for people who don’t like sPvP (who cares about legendary skins in sPvP tw?) or WvW

The only criteria I’d agree on is the Weapon Master title, that would make perfect sense, and if you actually think about doing a legendary I think we can say that you would get it very easily.