A perspective on legendary crafting

in Crafting

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

A little background:
I am a crafter at heart. I enjoy taking raw materials and refining them. I enjoy working with my hands. I love the process of creating things. I always have. When video games presented the ability to make things that would help your character progress, I jumped on it. Vanguard introduced me to crafting that I would consider a little more complex, and from then on I was hooked on virtual crafting. When I look at a game like that, one of the first things I want to know is how to gather and can I gain an advantage through crafting.

It was a multi-part journey. Each of the 3 parts had it’s own psychological/emotion reward. The feeling of accomplishment. From the gathering of the materials, to refining and assembling them, to receiving the final product, a virtual labor of love. You put time into it, and the result shows the value of that time.

Guild Wars 2
When I started GW2, I was somewhat disheartened at the simplicity of the crafting, and the lack of random chance involved with the results, but the recipe system made sense, and raw materials presented themselves, at the time, at a good pace. Unfortunately, after discovering the ultimate recipe, that being that all 6 tiers of crafting were just repeats of the previous levels using higher value material, it got boring really quick, but as I learned there were other items that could be crafted via the mystic forge, and I also started very quickly to look into the legendary weapons.

The process of crafting a legendary was daunting. I’d never seen such rediculous amounts of material required for a single item, and there were things required that involved aspects of games that I’d never cared to participate in (namely PvP and Dungeons).

Overall though, I saw it as doable. I even, at the time, set aside the issue of how precursors were obtained. Foolishly, at the start, I believed there was a chance at getting one as a drop. That faded quite quickly.

Then I stared playing the game more seriously. From there I started to learn the dark down sides of crafting a legendary. Anet had made it obscenely difficult to get the required materials in what appeared to be purely a move to get people to buy gems>gold to purchase. Calculations and tests were done. By April of 2013, I knew full well how long it would take me to gather the required T6 materials via general PvE play when taking into account my 2 to 3 hours a day play time combined with the limitations of Diminishing Returns and only 3 zones where T6 mats drop. 4 years if I played daily. Just for the T6 materials. Not including the orbs I needed, which drop far less. Coupled with precursors that only drop at about the same rate people win the lottery in real life, I just about gave up on crafting an legendary at all.

By the time this all set in, however, I had gotten my map completion, as well as the gift of battle. Standing in the way was the Gift of fortune, the Precursor, and the Gift of the Unicorn (which I had nearly completed).

I chose to make an attempt to get my T6 materials gathered for the Gift of Fortune. This quickly became a monotonous grind. I had, at this point, a bit of a dark epiphany. Tainted heavily with regret and emptyness. The end game for crafting in GW2 is not about crafting. It’s not about anything legendary. It’s about grinding gold.
Because no matter how much time you care to put in the game, spending 4 years grinding out T6 mats in the same 3 zones, at half hour per day segments, in the long run, your time put into crafting nets you nothing special. Because the guy with mommy’s credit card in your guild bought his legendary off the trading post before you even knew what one was.

That’s the saddest part about legendary weapons. They aren’t worthy of being crafted at all because in the long run, they are not legendary at all. They are just a skin. There is no joy in crafting something that others just buy off the market.

In the end, after half a year of farming, I had enough gold to buy 80% of the T6 mats I needed, along with the orbs for the gift. It nearly made me sick to my stomach to face the fact that the actual crafting path for these things, as designed, was just grinding gold.

Today, I put in an order, and recieved, The Lover. The last piece of the legendary. I received The Dreamer from the mystic forge, and … felt nothing. No sense of accomplishment. No sense that I had crafted something worthwhile. It was just a skin.

Worse, in the back of my mind, I hear the employees of anet whispering “sucker”.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

in Crafting

Posted by: TyranosEH.3768

TyranosEH.3768

Thank you so much for this post.

This is exacly how I’ve been feeling about crafting a legendary.
I understand that there have been some parts that require you to grind stuff. It’s boring, but this just seems to be how MMOs work.
What I don’t understand is, that this stuff is mainly gold.

I don’t mind that they’re just a skin. Hunting skins is what GW is about.
The saddest part is if you’re that rich guy that only plays the TP and has no skill at all at actually playing the game you can buy complete legendaries right off the TP.
That’s why legendaries should be account bound once they’re crafted.
Also they should require you to play all parts of the game and actually achieve something.

in Crafting

Posted by: KevinB.9643

KevinB.9643

I heard that Arena net is adding new ways to obtain a precursor weapon, hopefully by crafting. It would really help the players with bad luck (such as myself) to obtain a legendary weapon at the end.

But to craft a precursor to begin with, players should be putting effort many different aspects of the game such as: dungeons, wvw, pve, world events and crafting (obviously).

I do hope to obtain a legendary weapon once, mainly by participating in the aspects I just named.

in Crafting

Posted by: FrozenStarRo.7240

FrozenStarRo.7240

I heard that Arena net is adding new ways to obtain a precursor weapon, hopefully by crafting. It would really help the players with bad luck (such as myself) to obtain a legendary weapon at the end.

But to craft a precursor to begin with, players should be putting effort many different aspects of the game such as: dungeons, wvw, pve, world events and crafting (obviously).

I do hope to obtain a legendary weapon once, mainly by participating in the aspects I just named.

Precursor crafting unfortunately won’t happen anytime soon. There’s official data, dev response from last night https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/crafting/gw2-precursor-recipe-scavanger-hunt-news/first#post3780700

in Crafting

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Well you knew rather well from the start that the Legendary is nothing but a pretty skin. At least now it has switchable Ascended stats, so it’s inherently better than anything else you can ever get.

But in the end it’s just a skin. Hardly something you should grind for six months. I’m surprised you needed to actually go through that all to realize it. What did you expect to receive in return?

One – Piken Square

in Crafting

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I totally get what you’re saying OP, and I feel for you. But my experience was very different.

I took my time. I didn’t see the legendary as my end game goal, I saw it as a step along the way. When my precursor popped from the forge on a completely random time (wasn’t even trying, just wanted forge daily) I was absolutely elated. Then, my friends, my guildies, the people I had been playing with helped me complete it. My legendary has a piece of literally every single one of my friends’ inside it. That made it legendary for me.

My second legendary was the same way. The forge randomly gave me The Lover on my birthday. I finished the bow that night, with help from friends and guildies. In addition, every time I see a friend or guildie working on a project, a legendary, a cool forge skin, I always send a bit to help. I think it makes the game that much more special. The camaraderie is what keeps me coming back to the game.

Anyway, I wish it had turned out differently for you. After all of your work, to have the experience not even be worth it to you is awful. I hope that you find more of what you want.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

in Crafting

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Feel bad for you. It suck if that happen.

For me it was completely different. I approach my legendary with my guild. Most stuff i do for my legendary, i do it with my guild. From map exploration to dungeon for gold, etc. And we all worked together to get our legendary. When i got my sunrise i was freaking happy. I was the first in the guild and i had a hard time to go to sleep. About 10 ppl in my guild stayed a bit late that night to see my crafting my legendary and jump around like a crazy person. It was really a happy ending lol.

We did the same for our Guild Leader and on the 2 other guild member that crafted their legendary. We regrouped in Lion Arch and celebrated, checking out their legendary and taking screenshots. I still enjoy my legendary more than just for skin. A couple of small moments unique to my legendary. When my friend search me on the map and say ‘Hey I see the Sunrise over the horizon, we found Thad’’, or when total stranger in the game ask me some question, I even found new guildmates with my legendary.

For me it was a nice journey. The sad part is that one of the most enjoying part of my journey was to accumulate the 500 Badge of honors. It was crazy time to get 10 ppl of the guild to fight our way on top of the Obsidian sanctum jumping puzzle and protect the top while everybody portal uptop. Its was some crazy fight. Too bad they nerf that.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Crafting

Posted by: Vagrant.8613

Vagrant.8613

I feel the same exact way. After spending 200-300g trying to get a precursor a few months ago, I decided to cut my loses. This past week I put a buy order on dawn just for the heck of it. The order went through and I decided to start building my first legendary. I just need 75 more t6 totems and I’ll be done but the whole process has been completely underwhelming. It’s been nothing more than buy this or buy that…farm this…promote these materials. The only thing legendary about the process is the 100% world completion. I dunno, maybe I would feel different if I didn’t have to buy my precursor.