A puzzle for crafters

A puzzle for crafters

in Crafting

Posted by: CassieGold.7460

CassieGold.7460

Okay, lots of threads about weather or not crafting is profitable, I wanted to throw out an example (in the form of a puzzle) and see what people think. Below is a recipe for an item that currently lists for 500g+ and would cost less than 350g to create for someone who had both a lvl 400 armorsmith and lvl 400 weaponsmith. Crafting this item without 400 armorsmith is not possible.

500 Ascalonian Tears
200 Charged Cores
100 Bottles of Elonian Wine
100 Piles of Crystaline Dust
5,250 Fractal Relics
250 Cured Hardened Leather Squares
250 Orichalcum Ingots
70 Mystic Coins
250 Orichalcum Greatsword Blades (or 1,500 Orichalcum Ore)

So, who knows what the item is?

LVL 80’s: Thief / Warrior / Guardian / Mesmer

A puzzle for crafters

in Crafting

Posted by: Aeonexx.4589

Aeonexx.4589

Clearly the product of these materials would be Foefire’s Essence.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Foefire's_Essence

A puzzle for crafters

in Crafting

Posted by: IamDuddits.1692

IamDuddits.1692

Okay, lots of threads about weather or not crafting is profitable, I wanted to throw out an example (in the form of a puzzle) and see what people think. Below is a recipe for an item that currently lists for 500g+ and would cost less than 350g to create for someone who had both a lvl 400 armorsmith and lvl 400 weaponsmith. Crafting this item without 400 armorsmith is not possible.

500 Ascalonian Tears
200 Charged Cores
5,250 Fractal Relics
250 Orichalcum Ingots
70 Mystic Coins
250 Orichalcum Greatsword Blades (or 1,500 Orichalcum Ore)

So, who knows what the item is?

As the previous post said, it’s Foefire’s Essence, but I’ll elaborate a bit:

Gift of Ascalon
500 Ascalonian Tears

Crystals and Eldritch Scroll
5,250 (I think this is a typo: should be 3850) Fractal Relics = 150 Skill Points from Dessa’s = 1 Eldritch Scroll (50 SP) and 100 Crystals (3 SP/5 Crystals * 100 Crystals = 60 SP) Note: I think you took Miyani’s price being 5 Skill points for 3 Crystals which is how you got 5250.

100 Charged Lodestones via the Mystic Forge
200 Charged Cores
100 Crystals

Gift of Light
250 Orichalcum Ingots
100 Charged Lodestones
1 Gift of Ascalon

Foefire’s Essence
1 Eldritch Scroll
1 Gift of Light
70 Mystic Coins
250 Orichalcum Greatsword Blades

Some questions, as I’ve been considering doing something like this.

-Did you assume you bought the Greatsword Blades or did you assume you bought the Ore and made them yourself? I could say the same about the Ingots. Does it even make that much of a difference overall?
-Have you tried doing this for lower stuff? This is great if you have 350 g floating around but it’s hard to argue that Crafting is profitable if you need to have 350 g laying around to make profit. That’s like saying it’s easy to own your own multimillion dollar company if you have 100 million dollars for the overhead.

I’m particularly interested in this simply because I have both those crafts at 400 and have really yet to find a profitable way of using them without the overhead for items like this. I simply don’t have 350 gold sitting around (or 200 or 100).

Don’t get me wrong, this is a great point you’ve made, however, it’s something only attainable by people who already appear to be having no problem acquiring gold.

(edited by IamDuddits.1692)

A puzzle for crafters

in Crafting

CassieGold.7460

-Did you assume you bought the Greatsword Blades or did you assume you bought the Ore and made them yourself? I could say the same about the Ingots. Does it even make that much of a difference overall?
-Have you tried doing this for lower stuff? This is great if you have 350 g floating around but it’s hard to argue that Crafting is profitable if you need to have 350 g laying around to make profit. That’s like saying it’s easy to own your own multimillion dollar company if you have 100 million dollars for the overhead.

I’m particularly interested in this simply because I have both those crafts at 400 and have really yet to find a profitable way of using them without the overhead for items like this. I simply don’t have 350 gold sitting around (or 200 or 100).

Don’t get me wrong, this is a great point you’ve made, however, it’s something only attainable by people who already appear to be having no problem acquiring gold.

Sorry about the typo on the number of Fractal Relics, I was tagging back and forth between my notes for doing this for Foefire’s Essence and doing this for Infinite Light and I think I dropped a ball there, but you’re spot on with why they’re there.

As to your other question’s let me provide some answers:

1: At the time of this post, crafting the Orichalcum Greatsword blades vs buying them offered a savings of approx 10.5g. That’s buying Ingots directly, I didn’t drill down to buying Ore to make ingots. All of the pricing I used was at ‘buy now’ pricing, rather than assuming a fixed price for using a buy order which would further optimize pricing.

2: If you want to do this on a micro scale, you can do the same thing for a Destroyer or Corrupted Weapon….. It’s a great deal fewer lodestones to work with.

As an example:

60 Destroyer Cores
30 Elonian Wine
30 Crystaline Dust
630 Fractal Relics
5 Globs of Ectoplasm
21 Orichalcum Ingots
10 Ancient Wood Planks
5 Powerful Blood

Result is a Berserker’s Destroyer Greatsword.

A puzzle for crafters

in Crafting

IamDuddits.1692

Sorry about the typo on the number of Fractal Relics, I was tagging back and forth between my notes for doing this for Foefire’s Essence and doing this for Infinite Light and I think I dropped a ball there, but you’re spot on with why they’re there.

As to your other question’s let me provide some answers:

1: At the time of this post, crafting the Orichalcum Greatsword blades vs buying them offered a savings of approx 10.5g. That’s buying Ingots directly, I didn’t drill down to buying Ore to make ingots. All of the pricing I used was at ‘buy now’ pricing, rather than assuming a fixed price for using a buy order which would further optimize pricing.

2: If you want to do this on a micro scale, you can do the same thing for a Destroyer or Corrupted Weapon….. It’s a great deal fewer lodestones to work with.

As an example:

60 Destroyer Cores
30 Elonian Wine
30 Crystaline Dust
630 Fractal Relics
5 Globs of Ectoplasm
21 Orichalcum Ingots
10 Ancient Wood Planks
5 Powerful Blood

Result is a Berserker’s Destroyer Greatsword.

I honestly didn’t even know that the Destroyer Weapons existed. And of course the profit margins only increase when you compound the fact that the Ectos are “free” from fractal drops (I mean you are bound to get 5 ectos from all the runs to do get 630 Relics) along with any other stuff you salvage during the runs.

This is easily the most useful post I’ve read on these forums so far. Thank you for this.

A puzzle for crafters

in Crafting

Posted by: Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

It’s debatable whether it’s more cost effective to sell the ingredients directly rather than crafting the weapon and selling that.

Blood
(I have to know! In WvW, do Legendary NPCs drop Legendary loot?)

A puzzle for crafters

in Crafting

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

What value did you attach to each skill point? And the tears, yes they are common, but not worthless.

Assuming that you did not include the skill point costs and the 350g is for the TP purchasable materials only, you are looking at another 37.5 g worth of skill points (@ 25s/ea based on core promotion) and say the tears are worth 2.5g (you can buy an exotic greatsword with them, cheapest TP alternative costs ~2.5g) you come to a total value of ingredients 390g.

Net proceeds after selling for 500g = 425g – 390g =35g, or less than 10% return.

Incidentally, this is about the same as if you just sold the 150 skill points in an alternative manner.

(edited by thehipone.6812)

A puzzle for crafters

in Crafting

CassieGold.7460

What value did you attach to each skill point? And the tears, yes they are common, but not worthless.

Assuming that you did not include the skill point costs and the 350g is for the TP purchasable materials only, you are looking at another 37.5 g worth of skill points (@ 25s/ea based on core promotion) and say the tears are worth 2.5g (you can buy an exotic greatsword with them, cheapest TP alternative costs ~2.5g) you come to a total value of ingredients 390g.

Net proceeds after selling for 500g = 425g – 390g =35g, or less than 10% return.

Incidentally, this is about the same as if you just sold the 150 skill points in an alternative manner.

At the time of my post, Foefire’s Essense was selling at 520g. If input costs were 340g, and the item sells for 520g – 78g listing fee – 340g input costs = 102g profit. That would be a return of approx 68s / skill point.

That’s also baked on an assumption of sourcing TP purchasable goods at lowest seller rather than working with your own buy orders.

What I’m trying to illustrate via a Proof of Concept is that using alternative methods of sourcing raw mats can yield opportunity.

The last time I crafted a Berserker’s Destroyer Greatsword my input costs were 20g, the output item sold for 48g. Less TP fees profit was 20.8g for an investment of 18 skill points, or a return of over 1g per skill point.

Alternately, for people who want to pursue a high end item like Foefire’s Essence, it illustrates that building the item yourself can be significantly less expensive than buying the item off the TP.

(edited by CassieGold.7460)

A puzzle for crafters

in Crafting

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

What I’m trying to illustrate via a Proof of Concept is that using alternative methods of sourcing raw mats can yield opportunity.

The last time I crafted a Berserker’s Destroyer Greatsword my input costs were 20g, the output item sold for 48g. Less TP fees profit was 20.8g for an investment of 18 skill points, or a return of over 1g per skill point.

Alternately, for people who want to pursue a high end item like Foefire’s Essence, it illustrates that building the item yourself can be significantly less expensive than buying the item off the TP.

And what I’m trying to illustrate is that neglecting a substantial input is not an honest representation of profit. It may indeed be a more profitable way to sell skillpoints, but you are essentially still selling skill points.

And shenanigins on 20g cost to make a destroyer greatsword. From spidy -Last time one was sold for 48g was back at the end of Feb. Using low buy prices from that month (~24s/core and ~14s/dust), promotion of the cores alone costs over 25g. Add in the inscription and blades and you’re closer to 30g.

A puzzle for crafters

in Crafting

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I had most of the mats to make vision of the mist, not worth near as much as the others, then turned around and sold it for 131g. Made about a 75g profit since i had to buy the much of the ori. I still have 250 blades to make either another vision or invest the money into cores to make one of the others. Vision was easier since it’s ectos. This was all based on the fact that i had a stack of ectos (from salvages) and almost enough ori.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

A puzzle for crafters

in Crafting

IamDuddits.1692

It’s debatable whether it’s more cost effective to sell the ingredients directly rather than crafting the weapon and selling that.

This is something that really has concerned me about crafting in GW2. I many of the more profitable items have a massive overhead, and the ones you can afford to make don’t have a high enough profit margin to make the 15% TP fees worth it.

The thing is that the ease of leveling to 80 and leveling a craft to 400 means that anyone with an excel spreadsheet and a brain can deduce that if they have the 500 g to buy Foefire’s Essence then they may as well just make it themselves. I mean with the extra 150 g you could just make a new character and level whatever crafts up to 400 off the market, or even just do it on the same character. It’d be significantly cheaper than 150 g.

Even consumables like the Sharpening Stones are only marginally profitable.