Account bound crafted items is a great idea

in Crafting

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

We have a common mentality brought from other MMOs, and exemplified by many topics in this forum, in which people think the point behind crafting is to make gold.

It’s not.

And the proof is in how ArenaNet implemented Celestial items. They are account bound when crafted (take a look in game, if you have a character who has learned the recipe for one of the armor pieces or the weapons). Which means, the most time consuming crafted items are going to give exactly zero gold to crafters.

IMO, this is great. The point of crafting is – guess what! – to craft. To make the items with the stats you want, without needing other players to buy it from or to run dungeons with in case there is a popular dungeon with the stats you want. And to make the skin you want, if you enjoy one of the crafted skins.

I believe ArenaNet could use this system to greatly improve crafting. If all crafted items were account bound, ArenaNet would be able to increase the amount of available skins and reduce the crafting grind (the grind for ectos is ridiculous, not to mention how, even if you craft as you level, you will still need to make a lot of items you won’t ever use just to increase crafting levels).

When crafters become able to craft Ascended items, I hope they will also be account bound like this.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

in Crafting

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I don’t think you have the slightest clue on what a crafter is supposed to be doing if you think they should be account bound….. Not to mention this gear, because components in it are account bound and thus not tradeable, will take MONTHS to craft.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Crafting

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Not only that the recipe for the items are not permanently available outside of the trading post. In addition to that the market decides if the item is of use or not.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

in Crafting

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

The recipes should be discoverable, aye.
Otherwise I like the notion of crafting becoming more “useful” for one self instead of it basically being cheaper to turn to the TP.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Crafting

Erasculio.2914

I don’t think you have the slightest clue on what a crafter is supposed to be doing if you think they should be account bound…..

I’m sure you have lots of knowledge about what a crafter should be doing… In WoW.

Newsflash, buddy: this isn’t WoW. All your “clue” is worthless.

ArenaNet is telling you what crafters should be doing, and that is crafting account bound gear. It’s a limit, yes, but it’s a limit through which crafting can get rid of its current status as something irrelevant and actually become something worth using in the game.

Maybe now we will have craftable Ascended gear. By using gating mechanisms to prevent people from getting Ascended items too quickly (which would defeat their purpose) and making them account bound so people can’t just buy them (which would also defeat the purpose behind Ascended items), ArenaNet could finally allow crafters to again make the most powerful items in the game.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to

in Crafting

Durzlla.6295

I don’t think you have the slightest clue on what a crafter is supposed to be doing if you think they should be account bound…..

I’m sure you have lots of knowledge about what a crafter should be doing… In WoW.

Newsflash, buddy: this isn’t WoW. All your “clue” is worthless.

ArenaNet is telling you what crafters should be doing, and that is crafting account bound gear. It’s a limit, yes, but it’s a limit through which crafting can get rid of its current status as something irrelevant and actually become something worth using in the game.

Maybe now we will have craftable Ascended gear. By using gating mechanisms to prevent people from getting Ascended items too quickly (which would defeat their purpose) and making them account bound so people can’t just buy them (which would also defeat the purpose behind Ascended items), ArenaNet could finally allow crafters to again make the most powerful items in the game.

Hardly in WoW, you know how much armor goes for ATM? Usually close to 16g, people sell said armor (especially zerkers) because everyone wants it, and guess what? They make a profit!!

Sure your whole point may be true but that’s be IF all gear were account bound, and they already said Ascended Gear will be craftables, but seeing as how ONLY jewelry is their not going to do it until weapons and armor are also out to make it so its not Jeweler or GTFO in terms of crafting for profit.

PS: if you ever played WoW you’d know Crafting was 100% worthless since everything you made was worse than 5 man heroic gear.

in Crafting

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Hardly in WoW, you know how much armor goes for ATM? Usually close to 16g, people sell said armor (especially zerkers) because everyone wants it, and guess what? They make a profit!!

PS: if you ever played WoW you’d know Crafting was 100% worthless since everything you made was worse than 5 man heroic gear.

Wait… what?

Unless you’re talking about GW2 crafting making profit (which is hardly the case unless you farm your own materials), it’s not profitable.

in Crafting

Durzlla.6295

Wait… what?

Unless you’re talking about GW2 crafting making profit (which is hardly the case unless you farm your own materials), it’s not profitable.

You certainly aren’t -losing- money from selling Satchels, and as long as you aren’t losing money you can craft more and thus make more profit. If you were losing money (or just breaking even), no one would be selling Satchels of gear.

That being said I agree that Ascended gear should either be account bound (if crafted) or EXTREMELY expensive(or difficult) to make so it forces people to drop a pretty penny to just buy it, id prefer the former.

in Crafting

anzenketh.3759

The question is how come there are multiple references to crafters selling what they make. Look at the achievement for crafting it says will craft anything for a price.

The community decides crafted items was worthless. Not Arenanet. There are plenty of things that make money in crafting if you find your own mats. They just take either A ) A long time to sell (armor) or B ) are expensive to make. (Bags)

By no means should all crafting items be account bound. The design of crafting per the game is to make money.

That being said with items that need to be time-gated I would be ok with being account bound. However the recipes to make them should be discover-able not behind some temporary content.

(edited by anzenketh.3759)

in Crafting

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

@OP
Your argument doesn’t offer any evidence whatsoever other than opinion. Just because ANet implemented celestial gear this way doesn’t automatically make it the “best” option for the game, nor is it “proof” of anything.

It makes it the option they THINK is best. And, honestly, I’d love to hear their reasoning on it, because it makes no sense whatsoever to me.

in Crafting

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I enjoyed crafting in other games, but in GW2 I see no benefit to making my own gear other than simply having the knowledge that I made my own gear. Also, crafting my own gear comes at a greater expense in coin and time than simply buying the finished product from the trading post. The only other benefit I can see is in basically buying more achievement points by completing crafting achievements; I say “buy” because in less time than it would take to farm the materials myself, I could collect several times more gold than the materials would cost to purchase directly from the trading post. So for me it would be cheaper (and much more fun for me) to purchase the materials from the trading post and spend my play time actually having fun rather than to spend my time mindlessly farming the materials (other than account bound materials, of course, though much of those I can throw my 3 million+ (currently pointless/worthless) karma at).

Celestial gear being account bound is a step in the right direction in my mind, though the only way I see it as actually being a good idea and make me interested in crafting my celestial gear is if they had a new appearance, and even then, a new appearance I liked. And since they do not have a new appearance, the extra boost to my current stats isn’t of enough interest/importance to me to put all of that effort and coin into crafting them. I primarily focus on the appearances of my many characters as I run around solo in Open World PvE; BiS stats aren’t that important to me above Exotic stats and a few Ascended jewelry I threw laurels at for the heck of it. Unfortunate for me, I suppose, but that is how I feel about crafting as a whole and about celestial gear; disappointed, but not too concerned about it since I enjoy many other aspects of the game immensely that do not require my jumping into crafting gear. Now, if we could name our account bound crafted celestial gear, that’d be enough to get me at least interested in considering jumping into crafting, though unique appearances would probably still need to be coupled with that to get me excited.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

in Crafting

Erasculio.2914

By no means should all crafting items be account bound. The design of crafting per the game is to make money.

The way ArenaNet has added Celestial gear proves you to be wrong. If the point in crafting were to make gold, no craftable gear would have been account bound.

in Crafting

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Ehhh… I have to say that I’m disappointed at Celestial items being account bound. While I definitely enjoy crafting things for its own sake, I’d also like to be able to craft items to gift to my friends and guildmates. Having Celestial items be account-bound means that I can’t do that for certain items, even if it’s what they’re after.

in Crafting

anzenketh.3759

The way ArenaNet has added Celestial gear proves you to be wrong. If the point in crafting were to make gold, no craftable gear would have been account bound.

You obviously did not read my post. I gave my reasoning why I think crafting was in the game originally to make money. It was the community that decided otherwise.

All they did with this is testing out ways to get things that need to be time-gated to be craftable.

Should some crafting items be account bound. Shure. Everything. No way. Not ever.

in Crafting

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I tend to think this might be a temporary situation (account bound crafted Celestial) in order to keep the price of recipes in check. It may also be a test bed for potential future content (to see how loudly players whine or accept it).

I tend to think crafting has a place for generating both gold and self usable gear. The game has room for both. Why not let this play out before lighting torches and sharpening pitchforks to slay the evil Anet monster…..

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances