Anet repeating mistakes with currencies/mats

in Crafting

Posted by: One Note Chord.5031

One Note Chord.5031

Dungeon tokens, fractal relics, laurels, karma, badges of honor, guild commendations, maybe other things I’m forgetting: once you get what you want, they start piling up. (Karma can at least take a lot longer to hit that cap if you’re making legendaries, but the others not so much. Ascended rings are similar, too, although they aren’t a currency.)

Anet finally discovered that we didn’t like having all this crap fill our banks, so we got wallets. (Edit: Yeah, I know, some of those didn’t take up bank space; they’re just there to demonstrate Anet’s love of currencies that you use a few times and then stop paying attention to.) Now a month later, certainly wiser from their mistakes, they introduce three new materials that face exactly the same problem: they accumulate rapidly but will be used a limited number of times.

If your normal play involves dungeons and meta events and killing champs, which is what Anet actually wants normal play to look like, you’ll eventually have more of these materials than you want. And then, like everything else, they’ll start piling up. Those of us who play more than casually will hit that cap much sooner.

(I’ve gotten 41 stacks of bloodstone dust so far. Even ignoring the 40 from champ boxes that I saved over the last four days, that’s a stack just this afternoon. And judging from today, by the end of the month I’ll have at least several more stacks of dragonite ore and empyreal fragments than I need.)

If Anet could assure us that there would never be any use for these mats aside from making ascended gear, and only ever in quantities comparable to what we now need, we’d be able to destroy them and move on. (While they’re at it, maybe they could assure us that we’ll never regret destroying ascended rings, so we can free up that space, too!) But they’ve shown that they like creating other uses for mats that we’re drowning in, so instead we’re left to wonder why Anet didn’t learn their lesson and give us a better way to store this junk.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”
Pre-launch, Colin listed things that make MMOs bad. They are all now in GW2.

(edited by One Note Chord.5031)

in Crafting

Posted by: Serious.6940

Serious.6940

The problem is even worse with the watchwork sprockets, I’ve got a few stacks of those littering my storage. Problem is each stack makes one item, 12 stacks makes just 2 sets of Superior runes. There should have been a way of reducing them to a single item and a separate storage slot.

in Crafting

Posted by: Kore wa Sparta.3750

Kore wa Sparta.3750

You’d only get that many stacks from grinding and farming the Aetherblades this past week/2 weeks. A-net didn’t want you to grind, remember?

in Crafting

Posted by: Stratigo.1976

Stratigo.1976

You’d only get that many stacks from grinding and farming the Aetherblades this past week/2 weeks. A-net didn’t want you to grind, remember?

They didn’t? Then why introduce a new set of gear that requires intense amounts of grinding to get?

It is a grind of either mats or gold to get from 400 to 500, and then a further grind of mats AND gold to get the actual ascended stuff. And unlike legendaries this comes with a buff to stats, and oh yeah they plan of doing this with armor too.

in Crafting

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Just make them vendorable for a decent amount of copper, becomes a new “Grey” trakittenem then atleast, easiest solution for now,

in Crafting

One Note Chord.5031

Yeah, but like I said, even without the farming (and I was only saving for four or five days) I got a stack in a single day of playing (part of which was wasted trudging through fotm 58 only to find out that maw is still impossible). Even if I only play that much twice a week, that’s eight stacks in a month; it’s still going to very quickly outpace my need.

(edited by One Note Chord.5031)

in Crafting

Posted by: Shemsu.8721

Shemsu.8721

Yeah, but like I said, even without the farming (and I was only saving for four or five days) I got a stack in a single day of playing (part of which was wasted trudging through fotm 58 only to find out that maw is still impossible). Even if I only play that much twice a week, that’s eight stacks in a month; it’s still going to very quickly outpace my need.

right click, select destroy. problem solved. If you need more in the future, they are so easy for such an expert player like yourself to get remember?

in Crafting

One Note Chord.5031

But the problem isn’t me; I’m just using me as an example because it’s the one I know best. The problem is that we’re all going to end up with more than we need, it’s going to happen relatively quickly, and like I said at the end of the op, Anet has a history of making us regret deleting stacks that we had too many of. (If they make them sellable, I’ll be sorry I threw away money. If they do what they did with butter, I’ll be sorry I threw away free mf gambling. Etc.)