Armorsmith stuck because wool scraps are rare

in Crafting

Posted by: Bryan.3614

Bryan.3614

I am trying to get wool scraps for my armorsmith from level 20-35 pirates, ettins, seperatists, etc. In 3 hours of killin’, I have 5 wool scraps.
What else can I do?
Thank you.

in Crafting

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

If you have an alt around that level you’d be better off farming with them because then equipment drops will be at that level too, so you can get wool off the light armor pieces as well as the salvage items.

in Crafting

Posted by: forever.6908

forever.6908

You can always buy from Trading post. If you do your research on TP, you can even find cheaper crafted armor parts than crafting by yourself.

in Crafting

gimmethegepgun.1284

You can always buy from Trading post. If you do your research on TP, you can even find cheaper crafted armor parts than crafting by yourself.

I’d rephrase that slightly since it seems that you’re telling him to buy the armor when he’s trying to level.
Sometimes some of the intermediary parts in crafting are significantly cheaper than the cost of the mats to make them.
Find those and buy em.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

I’d rephrase that slightly since it seems that you’re telling him to buy the armor when he’s trying to level.
Sometimes some of the intermediary parts in crafting are significantly cheaper than the cost of the mats to make them.
Find those and buy em.

You’re both completely missing the very important point the opener is making.

A player should be able to level a crafting discipline completely off of what the player can acquire while leveling up normally without having to go too out of the way to collect mats.

The problem is that one of the mats needed to level up the crafting discipline is exceedingly rare and this is a problem that Anet has to fix by either making wool a gatherable material or greatly increasing the drop rate of items that become wool or by making mobs drop wool directly. They also need to greatly increase the drop rate of the other items needed to craft as well. I spent 3 hours killing mobs to get mats to level up armorsmithing and had the exact problem as the opener. Plus I would add that I only got enough of the other mats needed to make emblems to make about 4 emblems total of 3 different types (2 of one type, 1 of another type and 1 of another type).

This is a problem of Anet’s making and a player should not have to resort to the auction house to try getting over a problem that Anet should have been able to solve during the Alpha state let alone beta. The whole point of leveling up a crafting discipline is so that you don’t have to worry about spending money on gear. When you have to buy mats off the auction house to make that gear then the entire point of crafting is completely ruined as it is here and therefore requires a fix.

This isn’t the only craft which has this problem. Anet never should have tied crafting to rare drops the way they did.

in Crafting

gimmethegepgun.1284

I know that wool and leather drops are serious problems.
However, the other answers are suggestions as to how to go about doing what he wants as cheaply as possible.

in Crafting

Posted by: Bartas.4908

Bartas.4908

Cheapest salvage kit and white/blue drops should give a decent amount of wool. Also try to “farm” some centaurs/bandits at appropriate level as they tend to drop a lot of bags with materials.

Proud member of [BOO]
Thief/Necro/Guardian/Mesmer/Elementalist of SFR EU

in Crafting

Posted by: Panzen.4625

Panzen.4625

The OP’s post sounds like he doesn’t salvage blue and white drops. Salvaging blue and white light armor items should yield a lot more wool than just 5 per 3 hours.

in Crafting

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

In addition to the light armors there are these
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Worn_Rag
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Worn_Garment
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Soiled_Rag
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ragged_Garment

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Salvage_item for the whole list of salvage items and what they salvage into. On the other hand you could just sell the Soiled Rags and Ragged Garments then use the profits to buy the wool. They work out to be the same.

Cheapest salvage kit and white/blue drops should give a decent amount of wool. Also try to “farm” some centaurs/bandits at appropriate level as they tend to drop a lot of bags with materials.

Bags tend to give more fine than common materials.

in Crafting

gimmethegepgun.1284

Bags tend to give more fine than common materials.

Which are worth more anyway, so you could sell them for Wool.
Or keep them, since you’d need them anyway.

in Crafting

Posted by: Wolf Fivousix.4319

Wolf Fivousix.4319

If you’re trying to DROP wool, you’ll die trying. You have to SALVAGE light armor of the proper lv to get the apropriate lv crafting scrap.

// Dragonbrand
Wolf Fivousix – Elementalist
Black Wolf Trading Tool

in Crafting

Posted by: Greenfish.1270

Greenfish.1270

you can also destroy supply carts in gendarran fields south of blood hill waypoint. lots of crafting materials and wool is fairly common

in Crafting

Posted by: Draden Stormwalker.1967

Draden Stormwalker.1967

mats in general are too hard to come by with as many are required for basic crafted items…it has burned me out on crafting very quickly, one of the things I looked forward to most.

It is not the destination but the journey…

in Crafting

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yeah, something sounds wrong with the OP’s story. Are you salvaging all level 20 – 35 light armor, Bryan? The vast majority of cloth scraps come from salvaging those plus the salvage items that Khisanth mentioned. You will also get some from Bags (particularly those dropped by Bandits), but I wouldn’t rely on Bags solely to get Wool Scraps.

Bandits are probably the easiest to get Wool Scraps from. They drop Bags which sometimes give Wool Scraps (I’d say about 30 – 40% of the time), but they also tend to drop lots of Worn Garments which salvage into 1 – 3 Wool Scraps each (on rare occasions they’ll also give Jute Scraps, but I don’t mind since Jute Scraps sell for quite a bit). Cleaning a couple of the Bandit Camps in Brisban Wildlands should give you a decent amount of Worn Garments to salvage.