Celestial Equipment already obsolete?

in Crafting

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

I thought about calling this topic intended obsolescence, but that sounds a bit too conspiracy theorist for me. I am quite interested in making some celestial armor for one of my characters however it looks like there may not be a point.

It looks to me that ANET has a specific formula for balancing equipment, and magic find has its own value in that formula, but that value is > null. for example, everywhere magic find is included on this list of attribute combinations, it replaces a different attribute:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item_nomenclature

So when considering the celestial armor & trinkets I can only assume that magic find is part of the formula used to balance celestial equipment with other existing equipment.

The problem arises then with the announcement that ANET intends to remove magic find from gear:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/ (Account Magic Find)

So now we have the nice and shiny new celestial gear, intentionally made to be EXPENSIVE and it is already obsolete. If they just hack off the magic find from the basic stats, then celestial becomes unbalanced because magic find was part of the balancing equation.

Has there been any indication on how ANET intends to handle dropping magic find from equipment? People who crafted or purchased equipment with magic find are all in this situation together, but I question the wisdom of crafting/buying celestial armor and trinkets until ANET clarifies how they plan on handling magic find equipment.

I dont really expect anybody to ever answer why, but I do wonder why they released celestial equipment with magic find when they had to have know which direction they were planning on going with account magic find.

edit for spelling

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

in Crafting

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Your answer is no.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Crafting

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

Celestial gear IS obsolete. Magic find isn’t the reason why. Why bother crafting exotic celestial armor now when the ascended equivalent is going to roll out in a couple of months?

in Crafting

Posted by: forinnerspace.7192

forinnerspace.7192

Except people don’t buy celestial for the magic find so it’s not much of a loss. Having said that, it would be interesting to know what they plan on doing.

in Crafting

Posted by: CuRtoKy.8576

CuRtoKy.8576

Celestial gear IS obsolete. Magic find isn’t the reason why. Why bother crafting exotic celestial armor now when the ascended equivalent is going to roll out in a couple of months?

Because nobody is sure if they’ll have that particular stat set or the time it takes to make it (the ascended stuff are time gated).

If you need all-stat for your build then just make the exotics now.

in Crafting

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

There’s no reason not to have that stat set available. It’s existed on ascended equipment long before exotic armor with the same stats was offered.

in Crafting

Moira Shalaar.5620

Except people don’t buy celestial for the magic find so it’s not much of a loss. Having said that, it would be interesting to know what they plan on doing.

I realize that people do not buy celestial gear for the magic find, but my point is that with bonuses to 8 different stats, that gives magic find a value of 12.5% of the attribute bonuses. if they just delete the magic find bonus, that would leave celestial armor running at 87.5% attribute bonus, as compared to other equipment without magic find. So either ANET needs to replace magic find with another attribute not represented in the 8 attributes in celestial armor (boon duration?) at a comparable ratio, or increase the statistics of each piece to compensate for the 12.5% loss of hacking off magic find.

I know that exotics are about to be made obsolete anyways, but even farming as much as time permits, my efforts are going to be put into ascended equipment for a different class than I plan on putting into celestial armor, and I expect that outfitting 8 characters in Ascended armor, trinkets and weapons is going to be very time consuming and expensive, so for a while at least exotic armor will not be completely useless. Exotic equipment will always remain of certain value for ectos and intermediate steps for new characters until they can be outfitted with ascended.

in Crafting

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

So either ANET needs to replace magic find with another attribute not represented in the 8 attributes in celestial armor (boon duration?) at a comparable ratio, or increase the statistics of each piece to compensate for the 12.5% loss of hacking off magic find.

It’s going to be one of these two options. My first instinct was that bumping up the other stats was the logical choice, but I like the idea of putting boon duration there.

in Crafting

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I just crafted a full set of celestial trinkets. Why, because it cost very little when you have such easy access to the materials. I do agree it’s not the best but, the difference between Ascended and Exotic Celestial is extremely small.

With 9 characters all needing gear, Laurels is not a viable option. One will get Ascended gear for FotM infusions. The rest are getting Exotics until Anet roll’s out the new crafting levels.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

I’m loving the hype on Ascended gear that first announced near December last year… yes guys! next “couple” of months… lol it will roll out with the scavenger hunt for precursors hahaha for real!

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

in Crafting

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Some of the posts here are just trollol or just ignorant.

1. Magic Find on equipment is being REPLACED with something else, not flat out deleted.
2. No one knows the recipes for Ascended equipment yet. Based on speculation, it’ll probably require the EXOTIC verison of the equipment you’re wanting Ascended, similar to how some of the Ascended trinkets work, ie back slot items.
3. There is some significant time gating in place. You’re still gonna need some sort of equipment to begin with.

in Crafting

Moira Shalaar.5620

1. Magic Find on equipment is being REPLACED with something else, not flat out deleted.
2. No one knows the recipes for Ascended equipment yet. Based on speculation, it’ll probably require the EXOTIC verison of the equipment you’re wanting Ascended, similar to how some of the Ascended trinkets work, ie back slot items.
3. There is some significant time gating in place. You’re still gonna need some sort of equipment to begin with.

Well then, I am happy to ponder and pontificate in my presumed state of ignorance. I always appreciate comments that are analytical and detailed, especially when some effort is taken to research before hand. However, since an interest has been expressed in performing a detailed level of analysis on the references I quote in my initial post, I propose that such analysis be thorough as well as detailed.

1. “Magic Find on equipment is being REPLACED with something else,”

if you mean that magic find on equipment is being replaced by account based and consumables based MF, you are absolutely correct. Colin makes that clear in his statements:

“As such, we’ll be removing magic find entirely as an item stat and turning it into account stat” and “You can improve your account magic find through the account achievement reward system and from consumable items found in game”

However, if you mean to to understand Colin’s statement:

“In the near future, we’ll detail the system we’ll use to replace the existing magic find items. Our goal will be to have as little disruption as possible to those who currently own items with a magic find stat on them”

to mean that the the magic find attribute will be replaced with a different attribute on any particular item, that simply is not what Colin has said. They will be replacing the items that have the magic find attribute with other equipment. I can see how you may have misunderstood my original post, but I believe my question still stands unanswered, and unfortunately will until Colin’s “near future” becomes the present. If ANET simply replaces items, then will there be the option to pick a comparable item with a different attribute (i.e. my speculation about boon find), or will they simply offer the same attributes at a higher ratio, or will they leave the ratio the same, but remove MF as one of the attributes without offering any additional attribute change for celestial equipment?

Thank you for identifying this as speculative, and personally I agree with this speculation in general, although I have to wonder if when Colin says: “this new tier of materials will be made by combining lower tier materials” whether that might mean only the crafting materials (basic, fine, rare, etc.) without the base item for upgrading. Curiosity and speculation on my part.

3. “There is some significant time gating in place. You’re still gonna need some sort of equipment to begin with”

This was my point as well when I said

“Exotic equipment will always remain of certain value for ectos and intermediate steps for new characters until they can be outfitted with ascended.”

This upcoming announcement will be significant. My original post was to express concern and question regarding these significant changes and their impact on celestial armor. If that question is ignorant or “trollol” in the opinion of some, my ego can certainly survive the criticism.

*edits to formatting quotes

(edited by Moira Shalaar.5620)

in Crafting

Posted by: Mizhas.8536

Mizhas.8536

The thing about ascended gear really kitten es me off too. I’m “working hard” on getting my celestial gear on couple characters to try it and it will really be annoying if in a couple of months they will introduce ascended gear and i’ll be FORCED to start all over again.

I hope that at least the new crafting involves to having previously crafted/bought exotic piece within the recipe.

in Crafting

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

The thing about ascended gear really kitten es me off too. I’m “working hard” on getting my celestial gear on couple characters to try it and it will really be annoying if in a couple of months they will introduce ascended gear and i’ll be FORCED to start all over again.

I hope that at least the new crafting involves to having previously crafted/bought exotic piece within the recipe.

I find your entire approach at gearing laughable at best.

You’re taking the best items in the game, and then obtaining them for your characters to test their builds so you can figure out what they need AFTER you’ve spent all this time and effort getting them the gear. There are theorycrafting websites (gw2skills, gw2buildcraft, etc) to help players figure out what stats they should get BEFORE dedicating time and energy into getting gear.

Everything after the line is my opinion.
——-
Gearing up shouldn’t be a trial and error approach. It should be a carefully approached area that is calculated and meticulous. If you don’t like that approach with this game, that’s fine, but don’t come back complaining that you just spent a month gearing up one character to figure out that it didn’t work. You should realize, before dedicating your resources, which characters need which stats. Just because Celestial is new and “amazing” doesn’t mean you need it.

I, personally, have crafted a Celestial set for my Mesmer. I haven’t put it on yet because I have yet to create a build. It is not bound to my Mesmer so if I ever make an Elementalist, I could always put it on that character. That is how I am holding it (the main reason why I rushed to craft it is because I thought I was going to be able to transmute my 9th Armorset, but I ran out of Transmutation Crystals and haven’t gotten around to getting more, as of yet).

You shouldn’t blame the game for your rash actions.

in Crafting

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

I am not too worried about it. I would find it odd to throw in a gear set that takes a month or more to make and then just make it worthless. I made the set and am pretty sure I will get use out of it.

in Crafting

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Well then, I am happy to ponder and pontificate in my presumed state of ignorance. I always appreciate comments that are analytical and detailed, especially when some effort is taken to research before hand. However, since an interest has been expressed in performing a detailed level of analysis on the references I quote in my initial post, I propose that such analysis be thorough as well as detailed.

1. “Magic Find on equipment is being REPLACED with something else,”

if you mean that magic find on equipment is being replaced by account based and consumables based MF, you are absolutely correct. Colin makes that clear in his statements:

“As such, we’ll be removing magic find entirely as an item stat and turning it into account stat” and “You can improve your account magic find through the account achievement reward system and from consumable items found in game”

However, if you mean to to understand Colin’s statement:

“In the near future, we’ll detail the system we’ll use to replace the existing magic find items. Our goal will be to have as little disruption as possible to those who currently own items with a magic find stat on them”

to mean that the the magic find attribute will be replaced with a different attribute on any particular item, that simply is not what Colin has said. They will be replacing the items that have the magic find attribute with other equipment. I can see how you may have misunderstood my original post, but I believe my question still stands unanswered, and unfortunately will until Colin’s “near future” becomes the present. If ANET simply replaces items, then will there be the option to pick a comparable item with a different attribute (i.e. my speculation about boon find), or will they simply offer the same attributes at a higher ratio, or will they leave the ratio the same, but remove MF as one of the attributes without offering any additional attribute change for celestial equipment?

Thank you for identifying this as speculative, and personally I agree with this speculation in general, although I have to wonder if when Colin says: “this new tier of materials will be made by combining lower tier materials” whether that might mean only the crafting materials (basic, fine, rare, etc.) without the base item for upgrading. Curiosity and speculation on my part.

3. “There is some significant time gating in place. You’re still gonna need some sort of equipment to begin with”

This was my point as well when I said

“Exotic equipment will always remain of certain value for ectos and intermediate steps for new characters until they can be outfitted with ascended.”

This upcoming announcement will be significant. My original post was to express concern and question regarding these significant changes and their impact on celestial armor. If that question is ignorant or “trollol” in the opinion of some, my ego can certainly survive the criticism.

*edits to formatting quotes

Actually, that response wasn’t necessarily aimed at you, but rather some of the other posters in this thread.

As far as the replacement bit, I read somewhere that the MF stat on equipment is being replaced with another stat, such as Boon Duration. Unfortunately, I can’t remember where I read that, am too lazy to look it up, and think it might’ve even been something I fancied. However, it would be foolish for them not to compensate for that stat loss.

in Crafting

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Obsolete != Useless

I’m still using my DVD player even though Blu-Ray made it obsolete because it is still useful (and because I won’t pay more than $40 for any kind of disc reader).

Celestial gear is still useful and will be even after ascended gear arrives because you more than likely will not be able to put on a full suit of ascended gear on day one.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Crafting

Posted by: PMilkos.9103

PMilkos.9103

Celestial exotic gear will most probably still have more total stat points than most ascended sets. As such no, it’s not pointless to make one right now, especially since we don’t have the slightest clue as to how soon™ the introduction of ascended gear will be. Get your gear with all its juicy stats now, benefit from it and who knows, you might actually find out that you liked your previous gear set more and as such save yourself the time you would have put in making ascended celestial.

PS. Something very important that we do not know is if ascended armor/weapons will have upgrade slots, or just infusion slots like ascended trinkets. Because if they don’t that’s a very good reason for certain builds to stay with exotics (although I would assume that Anet would have forseen that, because having exotics be potentially better that ascended would be absurd).

(edited by PMilkos.9103)