Compile cooking into mat bank...

in Crafting

Posted by: Rafe Mathews.2308

Rafe Mathews.2308

First a question. Am I doing something wrong? Cook takes up a vast amount of bag/bank space. Why does it not get sent to the “mat vault” like leather/cloth/ore/etc? I ended up buying more bank space in order to keep up with the crafted mats. I’m not talking about the cooked-useable items just the cooked mats that allow you to use it as a mat later on. Seems like its not intended.

in Crafting

Posted by: Grim.6415

Grim.6415

/Signed

Please store this without taking up my bank space.

in Crafting

Rafe Mathews.2308

Glad to see I’m not the only one with this problem. It just seemed so obvious that the crafted mats should be stored the way all others are, but couldn’t figure out how.

in Crafting

Posted by: CHOAM.7852

CHOAM.7852

Every craft has crafted intermediates that do not store in collectible tabs, there just happens to be more with the Chef. I don’t think there should be dedicated collectible tabs for what I do not really consider as “collectibles”. I just ate/destroyed extra intermediates after leveling past the recipes on the way up, there’s no need to store most things as they can be bought or remade for cheap.

in Crafting

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Welcome to cooking it eats space much more than other crafts.
I have found that a lot of the intermediate items are needed to later discover other recipes so if you are using the discovery tab it might not be too useful to eat/destroy those.
My solutions have been to buy more bank space, make really big bags for the chef and to create a guild for the vault space.
Not ideal- I know.
Cooking is the odd one out in crafts because the intermediate mats are needed all the time, it is not like other crafts where if you are finished with the tier you are done.
A tab for intermediate cooking ingredients would be really helpful

Gunnar’s Hold

in Crafting

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I have a feeling that they did this on purpose to make you think about what you’re making. You can’t just craft say… 10 of these, 2 of these, 5 of these, etc.

You have to plan out how many dowels you’ll need for which sigils to put in how many pieces of blades & hilts etc. It’s just worse for cooking.

RIP in peace Robert

in Crafting

Rafe Mathews.2308

That’s exactly my point. Intermediate cooking mats remain useful for a majority of recipes on the way to 400 and even then still useful.

@Choam
Why would you be ok with punishing people for taking cooking? Why should a cook be forced to pay more in order to level? It doesn’t make sense in the slightest. Cooking is already more taxing due to the amount of discovery and the way to discover. And as far as other crafted intermediates go, I’d like to see those as depositable too but they’re easily discardable after you’re out of that tier of xx profession, so they’re not really a hindrance one way or another.

in Crafting

CHOAM.7852

Cooking is already cheaper to level than any other crafts when it comes to acquiring ingredients, there is no need to create unnecessary collectible slots for every account and every craft. If I didn’t take all 8 crafts, I would not want to stare at pages of collections for crafts which I did not take.

When I leveled my Chef, I remember having extra intermediates and checked on TP to see if they are worth selling, they weren’t, that’s why I ate/destroyed them. Instead of taking up valuable vault space, you can just buy most of them back from the TP for a few coppers when you need them again. Chefs will still cost far less to level than crafts requiring fine materials even if you had to do this.

The other side of this would be of the intermediate is actually valuable, then list it on the TP for sale at a price that’s maybe 10%-20% above average. If it sells, then you can use the money to buy it back later at little or no loss. If it doesn’t sell before you want to use it, then you’ve only paid a small listing fee for the temporary storage of the intermediate. If the goal is to level a craft through discovery and not to actually mass produce the food at the end, then the stack size and listing fee should not be high.

(edited by CHOAM.7852)

in Crafting

Rafe Mathews.2308

Choam, I see your point. But why not enable this for cooking? The other crafting abilities do not produce intermediates en masse the way cooking does. I’m not asking that all crafted food and what not be storable, just the items that don’t have an “on use” that WILL be used again and again. Example dough balls.

in Crafting

CHOAM.7852

I don’t get it, why would anyone make extra balls of dough instead of just as many as you need when the recipe calls for it? The only reason would be if someone mass produced them between 0-25, but that’d be poor planning. You can make a Ball of Dough at anytime as long as you can afford the ingredients from the Master Chef and have Eggs (which are collectibles). There is no reason to pre make and store common ingredients like that.

in Crafting

Rafe Mathews.2308

Because I was hungry dangit!

I agree, part of this can be attributed to poor planning. But it’s how the leveling of it went. Sometimes you just need to mass produce to get that next level in order to make something else easier and better.

in Crafting

Morrigan.2809

you don’t have to mass produce but you do need at least one of the intermediate items like stock, dough, herbs etc to use in the discovery pane.
You can just use a guide and craft according to that, with no space problem, no loss and no spare ingredients.
That just sucks fun wise because cooking is the most fun craft specifically because it is so creative. All the other crafts work according to a set formula.

Gunnar’s Hold

in Crafting

Posted by: Ravoc.5904

Ravoc.5904

Oh, and while you are at it it would really be nice to store my 1500 sticks of butter in my collection tab… and maybe a spot for all my extra harvesting tools… and come to think of it all of these looted weapons are kind of a pain to have in my inventory too, can I have a collections spot for them as well? </sarcasm>

Every mmo I have every played has had some aspect of item management. The fact that they are even allowing base ingredients a collection spot is spectacular, but lets not get out of hand here.

The collections system is designed so that I can go out and adventure, level my character to 80, and then come back and do my crafting professions later without having to grind out materials in the low level zones. It is not designed to be Bank #2.

in Crafting

Rafe Mathews.2308

Right. I LOVE how creative and intuitive cooking feels. Hate that it makes me feel so hungry though.

Could you recommend a guide? I haven’t had much luck in finding a useful one.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ravoc.5904

Ravoc.5904

If it were me leveling I would first get a list of all of the foods available, sort it by the required chef rating, and then look at the ingredients for recipes in my level range. That way I can easily figure out which ones I have the ability to make in the range that will give xp.

A guide will require you to either harvest or buy very specific materials – so it isn’t going to be entirely useful to your run of the mill chef that is leveling off of their own harvestables. Also keep in mind that you get better experience for discovering recipes, so it can be beneficial to -not- craft a bunch of the same item to level.

Give this a look for info on foods you can make:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/crafting/The-BIG-Chef-Spreadsheet-of-Foods

in Crafting

Morrigan.2809

I wouldn’t recommend a guide but it can be useful for when you get stuck-
try this one if you want. It shows what you can make by lvl with the ingredients needed
http://www.gw2db.com/recipes/cook?page=6
The link by Ravoc is also very helpful.
@ Ravoc- I found that not to be true because I harvested my own materials mostly and lvled through the discovery tab.
If I got stuck I looked at the guide in my link for other possible recipes with what I had on hand. I’ve yet to make multiples of anything unless I did it for my own use, or for those in my guild when they asked me to.
The collections system is designed to make your adventuring less space dependent and that is awesome.
But I think there is no need to wait until you are max lvl to craft.
I craft on all my characters as I level them- typically I end a play session with a little crating until my mats run out.

Gunnar’s Hold

in Crafting

Posted by: Grim.6415

Grim.6415

The biggest problem is for people that don’t have/use guides that tell them exactly what they need for cooking. For those that are just playing with their own knowledge and trying to mix and match things I never want to get rid of something that I think might be an ingredient for a later recipe because I will never know if it is part of a discovery unless I have it available to try.

If I was just power leveling and reading a guide it wouldn’t matter.

in Crafting

Posted by: warhorse.5196

warhorse.5196

I agree with all of you guys. Cooking takes a HUGE amount of inventory space, since the cooking ingredients do not stack in the collectables inventory like all other crafting mats.

DEVS!!! Please make our cooking ingrediants a collectable with their own slots! Completed Foods can stay in our inventory/bank…but Crafting Mats are Crafting mats reguardless if its cooking or weaponsmithing!