Cooking vs other proffessions

in Crafting

Posted by: kiyue.5817

kiyue.5817

I think this might have come up before, but why is cooking so different to other proffessions? I mean, in a good way.

I remember cooking was there first proffession I was testing in beta and I was like wow, the crafting system is amazing. It is non linear, almost all recipes have to be found or you have to figure them out yourself.

But when I saw the other proffessions on release I was kinda dissapointed. They are linear and on the whole just slightly better than in your average mmo. But why?

I imagine having them setup the same way as cooking wouldn’t hurt the game at all and make them alot more interresting. You could add hidden recipes with a low drop chance for rare items, which you can either find or figure out yourself.
That would make those items alot more valuable and crafting more fun.
ofc you could look them up after a while, but the proccess of discovering all hidden recipes for the community as a whole is still better as having them simply in a list right from the start. Also there could be more recipes added over time just like it happened for cooking.

(edited by kiyue.5817)

in Crafting

Posted by: kozeljko.8201

kozeljko.8201

Well cooking has tons more freedom than all the other crafting proffessions. Others are very limited due to there being a limited number of armour pieces and stats combinations. And for rare recipes, we have the Mystic Forge. All the “hidden” recipes would be the same as the MF recipes are today, everyone knows them and selling them on the TP is more or less stupid, since the recipe is cheaper.