Crafting is it worth the it?

in Crafting

Posted by: Methal.9045

Methal.9045

It seems that there is a LOT of gathering time involved in the two professions I have chosen: Weapons smith, and Jeweler.

Basically what I am asking, is the time worth the reward? I’ve heard about these legendary weapons that can be made, but the time sink into making them does not seem to be worth the item.

Or am I wrong? I do like the way it is set up, but I find that I must farm gold, then spend it on copper or what not to get the amounts that I’m going to need to level anything.

Also I am out leveling the gear I can make faster than I can make it.

not liking that part.

in Crafting

Posted by: NoOneShotU.3479

NoOneShotU.3479

If you are farming enough and using the cheapest discovery method you should have no problem keeping your gear up with your level.

You will have to buy either fine crafting materials or often the better choice, the inscription to go in your weapons.

in Crafting

Methal.9045

is there a web site with this kind of info on it?
The learning curve is a bit steep…especially since this is my first MMO.

in Crafting

NoOneShotU.3479

Start here:
http://www.guildwars2-crafting.com/

In the leveling guides he has you making the insignias. If you can buy the insignia cheaper than making them you should. You might have to do a couple extra discoveries to make up the loss in skill points, but just figure out the cheapest route.

Iron for instance is dirt cheep so it makes more sense to do more discoveries with cheaper insignia.

Sometimes it also works out better for what you have rather than what’s in the guide.

in Crafting

Posted by: Focksbot.6798

Focksbot.6798

tbh, I couldn’t make my crafting keep up with my level at all. I’ve spent 300 levels crafting junk. Only the special recipes give you weapons that are fairly useful.

My main reason for persevering is so that I can sell the materials – at level 300 huntsman I can refine all planks and ingots from whatever I happen to find and put it straight on the market.

in Crafting

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

Crafting is a great xp boost. Artificing is 10 almost free levels.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Crafting

NoOneShotU.3479

You could put materials on the market w/out refining them. the copper gain is minimal compared to the 2-4g you will spend leveling a craft.

in Crafting

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

Crafting is definitely worth it. Yes it still requires some effort and dedication to see it to the end, but I was never more proud the first time I crafted a full rare set to wear. Yes sometimes you’ll outlevel your craft, just happens, but you can always go back and craft for your alts and get the same enjoyment out of it. but that first triumphant time you hit 400 and craft that exotic set, needs to be filed under one of those “most memorable…?” posts floating around.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Crafting

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

… and now you can craft holiday items.

in Crafting

Posted by: ItGamer.1742

ItGamer.1742

To answer to title. Yes , it is worth it.

Level 80 – Sexy Norn Thief
Level 400 – Jewler – Huntsman – Leatherworker
Turning a 2 gold production into a 5 gold profit FTW baby!

in Crafting

Methal.9045

Thank you very much for your help. I’ll keep at it.

Might drop jewel crafting and pick up armor crafting. Although I’ll have to do some more research, I don’t know what I can do with jewel crafting yet that i would have to give up to pick up armor crafting.

in Crafting

Posted by: flixx.6978

flixx.6978

I highly recommend you take a look at Cooking and / or Artificer to level up with Crafting. Other Professions seemed to complex and time consuming for fast progression in ranking up.

in Crafting

Posted by: floppyjr.3459

floppyjr.3459

definitely worth it.
I find Jewelcrafting and Artificing the easiest (most straightforward) to powerlevel.
Plus with Crafting Boosters + Artisan Bonus of your Server will give you atleast 25 free levels.

HIRE/OCX
SoR

in Crafting

Posted by: Daulnay.4971

Daulnay.4971

Definitely take a look at the recipes your master crafter offers in exchange for Karma. They make the best armor/weapon/jewelry you can craft while you are leveling up, Rare (yellow) gear, and a few of them can even be crafted for sale (profit).

in Crafting

Posted by: Vegas.5790

Vegas.5790

It’s worth if (1) you enjoy it, and (2) you will get a leveling boost. Once you hit 80, nope, not from a monetary standpoint.

in Crafting

Posted by: Posibabis.5932

Posibabis.5932

What about gear at 80?? Is it worth it to craft them or farm CoF for sPvPlike gear??

Faystorm – 80 Thief
Underworld

in Crafting

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I like crafting at lvl 80 because I make my own trinkets and I have tailoring, so I just buy the cheapest version of the skins I like off the TP and then craft my own specs and transmute.

For PvP stats you are mostly out of luck though. E.g you cannot craft precision/toughness/condition damage stats.

Gunnar’s Hold

in Crafting

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

weaponsmith and jeweler are or at least were, two great money making professions, weapons are used in legendary recipes and greatswords are bought in bulk.

Then again, that’s only because other professions are pointless.

Irony…. xD

in Crafting

Posted by: King Jon.3128

King Jon.3128

Jeweler was never great at making money. lol

Cooking, that’s where the money is.
That’s if, you want 100s of gold with no effort.

in Crafting

Posted by: LieutenantGoogle.7326

LieutenantGoogle.7326

I think crafting is worth the effort you put into it, as long as you reach 400 though.

The ability to create an exotic of your desired stat match up is great even if the ecto an orichulcum is a bit expensive. But say that economically only the weapon making, artifact, hunter and chef are up to par. They don’t need too much mats to complete their category. But armor making whooooo kittenhere is A LOT to cover, 6 pieces of exotic equips is worth a hell lot in materials, honestly probably better to get the dungeon ones for those.

lv80 with skills fully unlocked, warrior, elementalist and engineer
lv80 Necromancer, all professional skills unlocked, working on the final norn elite skills.

in Crafting

Posted by: PinCushion.7390

PinCushion.7390

I use crafting as an alternative to fighting stuff for xp. Basically, it gives me xp for playing around on the Trading Post. Considering that I’m pretty bored with roaming the lands and fighting random critters, it’s a welcome change of pace.

All in all, it’s ok. Sometimes I make money. Sometimes I lose money. Most of the time I break even and get some free xp.

So, yes, it’s worth it if you think crafting/trading is fun. If you don’t, then it isn’t. There are no real perks to having max crafting other than being able to craft whatever is profitable at the moment.