Down With the Butter, Up with the Vanilla!

in Crafting

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

It’s quite obvious butter is wayyyyyyyyy too common, even with whatever supposed “decrease in drop rate” that was already put in.

When butter increases from 1c to 14c (stabilizing around 9c) with the mystic forge chest recipe, and then drops back down to 1c a week after the recipe is taken out, it’s quite obvious the supply is ridiculously too high.

On the flip side, Vanilla which is used starting at Tier 1 Cooking is 3s on the TP because from my knowledge it doesn’t come from bags and is a rare gather from low level zones.

Can we get an adjustment somewhere to butter?

Also, why am I getting butter in bags from level 70+ zones?

Since having 0 butter after using it all in the mystic forge, I now have 250 in my collections and another 100 or so in my bag right now which is all from dungeon running or high level zones. I’ve been 80 for weeks and haven’t touched low level zones except to go to some dungeons like AC and CM. I know I get some butter from CoF which is a level 75 dungeon from those Charr bags you get in there which could actually have useful T5 blue crafting mats… There’s just way too much butter, especially from higher level bags that could have mats worth 1s+ instead of 1c from butter…

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

in Crafting

Posted by: NoOneShotU.3479

NoOneShotU.3479

Vanilla could be added to those bags along with chili peppers et. If even 10% was vanilla and 10% was peppers when it otherwise would have been butter it would be a good thing.

(You do use a lot of butter).

The only low level herb I think they did a pretty decent job on was Pepper, but I think they should make 2 stacks per combine, perhaps 2 salt + 1 peppercorn = 2 salt/pepper

in Crafting

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Vanilla and Vanilla flavoring substitutes both come from trees in the form of either a Bark resin, or Vines growing up the saplings. A few people reported getting beans off certain trees in some extremely rare cases: means they’ve been added. But again, the disparity between drops rates is so astronomical still that we should ask Anet to investigate if the drop rates are bugged. And if they’re not bugged, we need them to reveal what the exact drop rate is… If it’s below 7.5% then we have a serious problem here.

in Crafting

Posted by: Passive Aggressive.3154

Passive Aggressive.3154

I have so much freaking butter in my bank you would think that Paula Dean has my account info and secretly logs on every night after I go to bed. =\

“Do what you want to do and don’t tell other people how to behave.” ~ Ruth Stout

in Crafting

Posted by: Fadari.6479

Fadari.6479

Since I am documenting cooking and crafting items and the ever crafty (pardon the pun) RNG, I have harvested thousands of trees in all zones and never once received a vanilla drop from a tree. Cinnamon, Walnuts and Gems. That’s all. Is there info about this somewhere? A screenshot? A zone? I’ll investigate the hell out of it to prove it because it effects my numbers. The two lowest dropping herbs are Chili Peppers (there are exactly three nodes that will drop Peppers in Plains of Ashford) and Vanilla, (Which can drop in several zones) but as stated in MANY posts, we all know that. Check my sig for files on this documentation. I have crafting items per zone and one document on just cooking items.

in Crafting

Posted by: Midnight.9205

Midnight.9205

I’m starting to come to the conclusion (having spent a long time farming specifically for Vanilla Beans, and finding less than a handful (5)), that what the ultimate solution may be is to introduce Harry van Butterball as an NPC in major cities.

He trades 10 butter for 1 Vanilla Bean. Would seriously give me the impetus and motivation to pick up cooking, which I abandoned a while ago in favour of just buying the food I want off the TP – the food I want to make for myself requires Vanilla Beans, and not being able to secure a semi-reasonable suppy makes cooking pointless.

in Crafting

Posted by: Torqueblue.1945

Torqueblue.1945

while like the whole trade butter for Vanilla idea How about a Collector like in the first guild wars. 5 of something= 1 something or whatever. i dunno why collectors aren’t in this game.

Scotch and Pills, what could possibly go wrong? – Max Payne

in Crafting

Posted by: Hippocampus.8470

Hippocampus.8470

And if they don’t want to shift things as dramatically as 10 butter = 1 vanilla, I think many people would be content even if it were something like 25 or 50 or even 100, considering how ridiculously abundant butter is. (The only reason it sells for 2c on the trading post is the inability to sell it for 1c, which means the perceived value of 100 of them is likely around 1s, which is considerably cheaper than current vanilla prices have gotten to.)

in Crafting

Posted by: lackofcheese.5617

lackofcheese.5617

If it was true that butter only sells at 2c due to inability to sell at 1c, then there would be sell orders up at 2c, not buy orders.

in Crafting

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Are you trying to argue semantics or claiming that butter is half as abundant as the OP claims? Either way, it does tend to crop up a bit too often (as if someone in ANet has managed a skillfuly crafted inside joke for FAR too long).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Crafting

Posted by: Hippocampus.8470

Hippocampus.8470

If it was true that butter only sells at 2c due to inability to sell at 1c, then there would be sell orders up at 2c, not buy orders.

If there are buy orders at 2, it’s gone up in price since I last bothered checking.

in Crafting

Posted by: deathTouch.9706

deathTouch.9706

Oh no, I have too much of a resource, what ever shall I do?

V deathTouch V – Warrior
STD [Scarlet Gave Me Harpies]
Maguuma

in Crafting

Posted by: Echo.7634

Echo.7634

I 12th this.

Considering Vanilla is a tier 1 ingrediant and used in a bizzillion and a half recipes….They should really bump up the drop rate on them.

I get that everyone wants to eat omnomberry bars and thats fine but the limiting factor should be the Tier 6 ingrediant ( the berries ) and NOT the Tier 1 ingrediant Vanilla.

PS. If you could add in Vanilla coke that would be great. Thanks.

in Crafting

Posted by: scarcrow.8574

scarcrow.8574

I’d just like to point out what a ridiculous topic this is. The standard litmus test to assess the ridiculousness of a series of posts is to read them using the voice of Bender from Futurama.
It works best on short snippets, like the these from the previous posts:

Can we get an adjustment somewhere to butter?
Also, why am I getting butter in bags from level 70+ zones?
(You do use a lot of butter).
I have so much freaking butter in my bank you would think that Paula Dean has my account info and secretly logs on every night after I go to bed. =\
Are you trying to argue semantics or claiming that butter is half as abundant as the OP claims?
I 12th this.
I get that everyone wants to eat omnomberry bars and thats fine but the limiting factor should be the Tier 6 ingrediant ( the berries ) and NOT the Tier 1 ingrediant Vanilla.

in Crafting

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

It isn’t just using them to craft the omnomberry foods, vanilla is used in many recipes and intermediate components. There are several low level recipes I’ve yet to discover on my max level cook. I’m just waiting on more vanilla bean harvests.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Crafting

Posted by: Midnight.9205

Midnight.9205

I’d commented earlier in this thread of my search – and inability to find Vanilla Beans.

This post is my chance to stop by, and say “thank you” for hearing the call on this from myself and others, as I note in the patch notes this has now been solved.

Thank you!

in Crafting

Posted by: NoOneShotU.3479

NoOneShotU.3479

Yep. Thanks Dev’s for listening to this one. I’m sure the value of those high end bags went up a few cp over no chance at butter