Food prices - when?

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

Posted by: psirca.9452

psirca.9452

At one point food had a vendor price on it.
Because someone abused it now the price is gone.

I thought it was returning.
Any chance we can get this on the list of things to review?

Without a vendor value, many of the least popular foods have hit rock bottom because of competition selling them and they are at 1 copper per item.

Since these people can’t vendor those foods, this will always be a problem and wreck the opportunities to sell them.

One to note is grape pie, it has been 1 copper for weeks now. I have notes as far back as 10/9 – 10/15 at the 1 copper price. There is too much stock to buy to try to bring it back from the depths and re-post it at a reasonable price. I don’t think players should be forced to try to manage a vendor cost.

I tried advertising food on reddit and making posts about it to try to get some sold but I really think this has to be solved at the source – the game itself needs to give a vendor price again for food to keep it from dropping to non-existent.

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

Posted by: Torvarren.6295

Torvarren.6295

If food suddenly got a vendor price, that would be a huge influx of gold from buying all the current food for 1c then vendering it.

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

psirca.9452

Well that would have to be something they deal with.
They were the ones that took away the vendor price and made this issue.
A resolution would be let those all vendor out as they should have the first time.
I wouldn’t tell ppl ahead of time so that they would stockpile it – they didn’t tell ppl ahead of time anyway when they took away the food price, you just logged in and it was gone, that’s par for the course.

This is the result of a change they made and I don’t think it will fix itself. The point is really that it is becoming a snowball, for any foods not in constant demand, I predict they will all eventually fall to 1 copper. We saw candy corn drop daily in price because of the overstock, it’s natural that when people can’t vendor an item they try to use the trading post.

(edited by psirca.9452)

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I would dearly love to vendor food- I had to destroy an entire guild bank full of food today because it could not even sell for 1c. Those that could, I did. This is a tremendous loss since it cost me quite a bit to produce the food in the first place

Gunnar’s Hold

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

This might be a stupid question but…why do you make worthless food? Ok, grape pie is 1c. Grape itself is 51c sell/37c buy(1k grapes ordered at that price) right now. Also, it takes 800 food to get the achievement… Instead of trashing it, give it to smb who doesn;t have it yet….

Although I would like if TP wouldn’t allow prices that make less than 1c/item profit(counting the fees in ofc).

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

I think a 1c merchant price for all food that doesn’t already have a price would be a fair way to prevent food from becoming worthless. The same should apply to the account bound ingredients.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

psirca.9452

One copper would not be realistic.
Like every other crafting item, the price should scale as the item increases in tier.
A carrot should not sell for the same price as vanilla though both are harvested.
Carrots have their own spawns, vanilla shares its spawn with other items so is more rare. The products of those items should have varying vendor costs.

Account bound ingredients are usually karma purchased, they don’t require a price to sell to a vendor or you could directly convert karma to cash.

Magimay, easiest way to explain to you that the reason grape pies are worthless is because no one can vendor them so they undercut until the price reaches 1 copper. I am not trying to make grape pies at lvl 80 to sell but just like every other crafter I should be allowed to try to sell lower level items if people will buy them, if they won’t, I would vendor them and lose money. Without vendoring, you can’t lose money you just lose it all. Since no other crafts are subject to this and the game did not ship without a vendor price on food, I don’t think they intended it to be this way. They only wanted to stop people from using food to trade cash for karma. People have asked for lots of things so this probably is a low priority but not still on my mind that it needs some resolution eventually.

Lots of items were taken off the karma vendor making them slower to get or require money to purchase.
That’s why I asked for the review – things changed in cooking and the price has not been added back in since the karma issue has been taken care of.

(edited by psirca.9452)

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

TWMagimay.9057

Magimay, easiest way to explain to you that the reason grape pies are worthless is because no one can vendor them so they undercut until the price reaches 1 copper. I am not trying to make grape pies at lvl 80 to sell but just like every other crafter I should be allowed to try to sell lower level items if people will buy them, if they won’t I would vendor them and lose money. Without vendoring, you can’t lose money you just lose it all. Since no other crafts are subject to this and the game did not ship without a vendor price on food. I don’t think they intended it to be this way. They only wanted to stop people from using food to trade cash for karma. People have asked for lots of things so this probably is a low priority but not still on my mind that it needs some resolution eventually.

The part I still don’t understand is…why on Earth do you want to craft worthless items to vendor at a loss? How is having that option in any way appealing to you?!

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

Posted by: NoOneShotU.3479

NoOneShotU.3479

Skillups. It’s the same reason I have grape pies in my bag right now waiting to be eaten. It’s how those pies got to the trade post in the first place.

Pies esp take balls of dough, so they take flour, water et that have a vendor price: 8c each, so that sets a floor for you. Normally stuff vendors back for a percentage of the cash used to make it. Since the item isn’t 100% karma there should be no issue with putting a vendor price at 1/3 or 1/5 or whatever their current metric is for resale value since Flour and Water are not drops. They only come from vendors.

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

psirca.9452

“The part I still don’t understand is…why on Earth do you want to craft worthless items to vendor at a loss? How is having that option in any way appealing to you?!”

Your question is – why don’t I want to make 1 copper to 20 copper (guessing what the prices were ) for each item I craft to the vendor that doesn’t sell for the 25copper I think that it’s worth on the trading post if noone is buying it? This is obvious to me, I want the same “out” every other crafter has, I want to be able to vendor what doesn’t sell.

I may be done with cooking but there are still other people leveling it, they have product all the time extra, shouldn’t they be allowed to vendor it like any other crafter can?

It’s not like this effect can’t hit the top level food either, as long as people refuse to buy it until people sell it at 1 copper, they can push down the price themselves. No one can do that to any of the other crafted items, the wool gear I made recently on my tailor sold to the vendor for almost 1 silver a piece, no player could cheat me out of recouping some of the cost. I had 2 directions to sell and one was guaranteed (vendor). With food having no vendor price, other players can cheat other players out of the vendor cost because there is none and there is no second outlet to sell it (vendor). Instead you have to take a complete loss and destroy it. It doesn’t even have to be intentional, that’s why I cited grape pie as an example. Yes players undercut each other intentionally but they did that because they didn’t want to wait for thousands to sell just to sell their one or two. How does any other crafter deal with that, they vendor the goods and say, that doesn’t make any profit, I won’t make it intentionally in future. That is missing from cooking right now. Then when someone does decide to stock a grape pie for low level characters… there aren’t 20K of them there.

Explain how the price could recover from what it is now? Do we even have enough bag space to hold 20 k + grape pies if we wanted to try to bring the price to something better? This is a logistic problem that will only get worse as more piles up.

(edited by psirca.9452)

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

TWMagimay.9057

“The part I still don’t understand is…why on Earth do you want to craft worthless items to vendor at a loss? How is having that option in any way appealing to you?!”

Your question is – why don’t I want to make 1 copper to 20 copper (guessing what the prices were ) for each item I craft to the vendor that doesn’t sell for the 25copper I think that it’s worth on the trading post if noone is buying it? This is obvious to me, I want the same “out” every other crafter has, I want to be able to vendor what doesn’t sell.

I may be done with cooking but there are still other people leveling it, they have product all the time extra, shouldn’t they be allowed to vendor it like any other crafter can?

It’s not like this effect can’t hit the top level food either, as long as people refuse to buy it until people sell it at 1 copper, they can push down the price themselves. No one can do that to any of the other crafted items, the wool gear I made recently on my tailor sold to the vendor for almost 1 silver a piece, no player could cheat me out of recouping some of the cost. I had 2 directions to sell and one was guaranteed (vendor). With food having no vendor price, other players can cheat other players out of the vendor cost because there is none and there is no second outlet to sell it (vendor). Instead you have to take a complete loss and destroy it. It doesn’t even have to be intentional, that’s why I cited grape pie as an example. Yes players undercut each other intentionally but they did that because they didn’t want to wait for thousands to sell just to sell their one or two. How does any other crafter deal with that, they vendor the goods and say, that doesn’t make any profit, I won’t make it intentionally in future. That is missing from cooking right now. Then when someone does decide to stock a grape pie for low level characters… there aren’t 20K of them there.

Explain how the price could recover from what it is now? Do we even have enough bag space to hold 20 k + grape pies if we wanted to try to bring the price to something better? This is a logistic problem that will only get worse as more piles up.

Ah, so it’s about leveling the craft. You keep pointing at the vendor price difference. How about this:
- You can level cooking by crafting only food that you can benefit from. You basically need 1 discovery every 25 lvls and then to make 15-20 of those. Sure, you end up with a stack of food that’d last you 1-2 months, but every single it of it is useful to you.
- You can’t level any other craft by only making stuff you can use yourself. You are forced to craft useless items if you want lvl 400 of anything besides cooking.

- You need 800 foods to get an achievement. And will barely craft even half of that while leveling the skill.
- There is no such achievement for, say, jewels.

You do know how economy works, right? People don’t just “refuse to buy it unless it’s 1c”. If that strategy worked, everything in TP would be at vendor prices. Obviously, that’s not the case. But if by some miracle that were to happen….and people just stopped buying food to crash the prices….crafters would simply stop providing. Eventually there will be no food on the TP and those who need food would start bumping the buy price hoping to get some.

I don’t understand why the market has to recover from it. The price is not 1c because there is no vendor price. It’s 1c because nobody wants to use it. Here’s smth interesting for you to chew on. There are good 30 types of food in the TP right now that go for over 1s/unit. They also don’t have a vendor price, just like the grape pie, yet they are not at 1c on TP.

Lastly, to sum it up a bit, adding a vendor price to food would allow you to sell said food for a few c. It won’t magically make people want it more. It also won’t create a reason to craft it since you’d still be a loss.

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I just eat all the food I produce to level my Chef. I have 5 hungry characters to feed! XD

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

Morrigan.2809

Ah, so it’s about leveling the craft. You keep pointing at the vendor price difference. How about this:
- You can level cooking by crafting only food that you can benefit from. You basically need 1 discovery every 25 lvls and then to make 15-20 of those. Sure, you end up with a stack of food that’d last you 1-2 months, but every single it of it is useful to you.
- You can’t level any other craft by only making stuff you can use yourself. You are forced to craft useless items if you want lvl 400 of anything besides cooking.

- You need 800 foods to get an achievement. And will barely craft even half of that while leveling the skill.
- There is no such achievement for, say, jewels.

You do know how economy works, right? People don’t just “refuse to buy it unless it’s 1c”. If that strategy worked, everything in TP would be at vendor prices. Obviously, that’s not the case. But if by some miracle that were to happen….and people just stopped buying food to crash the prices….crafters would simply stop providing. Eventually there will be no food on the TP and those who need food would start bumping the buy price hoping to get some.

I don’t understand why the market has to recover from it. The price is not 1c because there is no vendor price. It’s 1c because nobody wants to use it. Here’s smth interesting for you to chew on. There are good 30 types of food in the TP right now that go for over 1s/unit. They also don’t have a vendor price, just like the grape pie, yet they are not at 1c on TP.

Lastly, to sum it up a bit, adding a vendor price to food would allow you to sell said food for a few c. It won’t magically make people want it more. It also won’t create a reason to craft it since you’d still be a loss.

For me it is about leveling cooking yes. Producing huge stacks of the same food is an option but it also costs money which is why I tried to go the discovery route with what I had in my collection mostly and just filling in the gaps on the TP.
As for producing useless food- I found that only intermediate items like bakers wet. sesame ginger sauce etc have any value on the TP.
Almost all finished products have 0 value, not even 1c. So the dill/vanilla/chilli etc that you payed a fortune for is now a loss.
I mailed so much food to my friends that they asked me to stop, my alts and bank ran out of space. That was when I started destroying the items at a loss. Not a grape pie among them.
A vendor would be godsend

Gunnar’s Hold

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

TWMagimay.9057

For me it is about leveling cooking yes. Producing huge stacks of the same food is an option but it also costs money which is why I tried to go the discovery route with what I had in my collection mostly and just filling in the gaps on the TP.
As for producing useless food- I found that only intermediate items like bakers wet. sesame ginger sauce etc have any value on the TP.
Almost all finished products have 0 value, not even 1c. So the dill/vanilla/chilli etc that you payed a fortune for is now a loss.
I mailed so much food to my friends that they asked me to stop, my alts and bank ran out of space. That was when I started destroying the items at a loss. Not a grape pie among them.

So, you think it’s more cost efficient to discovery 15 recipes with, say chilli peppers than to craft 20 peach tarts? I have to disagree. There are a lot of ingredients you get tons of while gathering and you can use those to craft useful food in bulks to level the craft. You CHOOSE to make all that useless food, the game doesn’t make you do it in any way. Also, just curious, do you have the food achievement complete?

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I agree with the OP. I just maxed my cooking and I’m stuck with all this food that I can’t use yet or just don’t want. Every other craft lets me at least vend my extra pairs of britches for some copper to recoup costs…I don’t understand why cooking doesn’t.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

Morrigan.2809

So, you think it’s more cost efficient to discovery 15 recipes with, say chilli peppers than to craft 20 peach tarts? I have to disagree. There are a lot of ingredients you get tons of while gathering and you can use those to craft useful food in bulks to level the craft. You CHOOSE to make all that useless food, the game doesn’t make you do it in any way. Also, just curious, do you have the food achievement complete?

Ha no I don’t think it is more cost efficient really but I did want to use what I had gathered- ironically I did have some chilli and some vanilla but no peaches.
I bought some more chilli- I think 3 and some vanilla 5 or so and sure, it is not that expensive in such small amounts but on my lvl 10 character it is. 10 silver is a lot of money to her.
I craft mainly because I enjoy it and I took cooking because it is so creative- I love spending hours in discovery just trying out different things. That is not efficient in any way but it is fun for me. I also only tend to make one of a thing unless I want to use it. So I end up with a lot of food that doesn’t stack. I am really not saying the game forces me to do anything, I am aware that I chose to go this route.

As for the food achievement I don’t even know what that is.

But OT I don’t see how being able to sell food to vendors is bad for the game- I mean, you can sell all other crafts, why not food?

Gunnar’s Hold

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

Posted by: Auvic.5679

Auvic.5679

Why can’t I eat my pants and gain 30% magic find?

Man, if I couldn’t recoup the 28c I make back from selling my worthless crafted items and eat them for 30% more magic find + increased gold drops, I’d be more than happy.

Not all crafting professions are made equal. At the very worst, you can CHOOSE to level cooking by cooking only things that you can use, whereas for things like weapon/armorsmithing, the vast majority of things I make are realistically worthless. My leveling speed is leagues beyond my ability to keep up with crafting, and even attempting to salvage the things I make puts me at a loss.

There’s also no real option for me to just “set stuff aside”, because even while leveling characters, there’s no need to use crafted items until 80 or so. At least you can keep eating food all the way to 80, instead of just starting by the time you get there. :/

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

psirca.9452

Why can’t I eat my pants and gain 30% magic find?

That’s cute but your pants last forever. Crafted food lasts between 30m – 1 hr.

Gear is forever, food isn’t and even other buffs that aren’t forever like maintenance oils, potions, and sharpening stones all have vendor prices. They aren’t made by cooks either.

Cooks aren’t the only crafters making consumables, just the only crafters not able to vendor them.

Other crafts make consumables and they all have a vendor cost, there is no reason for food to be treated differently. It wasn’t planned that way and it does not need to be that way. It was only changed to deal with the karma issues that have now been resolved by other patches.

(edited by psirca.9452)

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

TWMagimay.9057

Ha no I don’t think it is more cost efficient really but I did want to use what I had gathered- ironically I did have some chilli and some vanilla but no peaches.
I bought some more chilli- I think 3 and some vanilla 5 or so and sure, it is not that expensive in such small amounts but on my lvl 10 character it is. 10 silver is a lot of money to her.
I craft mainly because I enjoy it and I took cooking because it is so creative- I love spending hours in discovery just trying out different things. That is not efficient in any way but it is fun for me. I also only tend to make one of a thing unless I want to use it. So I end up with a lot of food that doesn’t stack. I am really not saying the game forces me to do anything, I am aware that I chose to go this route.

As for the food achievement I don’t even know what that is.

But OT I don’t see how being able to sell food to vendors is bad for the game- I mean, you can sell all other crafts, why not food?

Peaches are for karma(like, 100 karma for 25 bulk). You could’ve sold your peppers and vanilla made profit and gained 25 chef levels for 100 karma and a bit of copper(for the flour and stuff).

The food achievement is…an achievement to eat food. 800 items to be exact. 1-400 chef would generate, what…~200 items? Even if you just discover, there is still smth you can use the useless food for.

I didn’t say it was bad. I just said there is no reason for it. It’s not a tragic loss, it’s all by player choice. Kind of like all the people who want random stuff that nobody cares about and insist it’s really really important.

That’s cute but your pants last forever. Crafted food lasts between 30m – 1 hr.

Awww, so cute, you wear your lvl 10 pants in Orr. But, wait, it’s ALL forever, so I guess you are currently wearing about 50 items in each gear slot, right?

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

psirca.9452

Magimay you have never addressed anything I typed with a logical response to the subject.
You are the eternal subject switcher and becoming blissfully nonsensical as you continue.

I compared consumables from one craft to consumables of another craft marking clear differences and all you can think of in response is something about gear having 50 slots. Since when can someone use 50 food items at once, weak weak arguments. I compared oranges to oranges and you compare bokchoy to a pepsi can. You mean someone upgrades their gear over time like they change food over time! The heresy of it all.

Don’t try to troll me.
Next time you post to me I will consider it instigation and I lost my patience with you yesterday because your ears are plugged – why I don’t know but it’s not my intention to find out. I gave you lots of chances to comprehend the situation and explained it then tried again and again. It’s over.

(edited by psirca.9452)

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

TWMagimay.9057

Magimay you have never addressed anything I typed with a logical response to the subject.
You are the eternal subject switcher and becoming blissfully nonsensical as you continue.

I compared consumables from one craft to consumables of another craft marking clear differences and all you can think of in response is something about gear having 50 slots. Since when can someone use 50 food items at once, weak weak arguments. I compared oranges to oranges and you compare bokchoy to a pepsi can. You mean someone upgrades their gear over time like they change food over time! The heresy of it all.

Don’t try to troll me.
Next time you post to me I will consider it instigation and I lost my patience with you yesterday because your ears are plugged – why I don’t know but it’s not my intention to find out. I gave you lots of chances to comprehend the situation and explained it then tried again and again. It’s over.

How can you know the state of my ears when you never came in contact with them? Or is it just that I refuse to bow and agree with you that has to mean I can’t listen? I didn;t see you make any valid arguments either, but I’m not “losing my patience” or threatening to do so. Your logic and maturity aside…

I thought we already agreed that:
a) when you have lvl 400 chef, you are not crafting grape pies, but only items that you can use/sell(where vendor prices are completely irrelevant);
b) the problem lies in the process of leveling the craft and the value of items created in the process.
As a result I pointed out that:
a) cooking is the only craft that can be leveled by crafting items you can personally use;
b) there is an achievement for eating food and the quality/price of that food is not a factor(making it slightly less useless).
Then smb else directed you towards the 2nd a) and your response was “but gear is forever”. Since we are talking about leveling crafts to 400, I started wondering how the hell can those lvl 10 pants you craft at the start be “forever”. The only “forever” gear requires lvl 400 craft which would make it not only irrelevant, but also wrong in the context. The whole point is not that food is “forever”. It’s that you can make only usable food while leveling(and I don’t think that clam cakes instead of omnom bars would really affect your gameplay in a noticeable way) but you don’t have that option with any other craft. You are forced to make useless items.

In addition to that, you completely ignored the whole “grape pie doesn;t have 1c TP price because there is no vendor price, it’s because nobody wants to have grape pie and adding vendor value to food won;t change that”-part of the argument.

As for those potions other crafts make. Are you seriously, like, for real, going on about 2c/item? Because that is the vendor price of a powerful potion of xxx slaying. And there are a couple of potions for 13c/each(like, 4-5 and wiki/TP have only seen 1 of them). Oh, and those can be made by 1 crafter only anyway. And you are making a fuss about, what, 2s? Seriously? Two silver is your big problem?!

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

How about this solution?

Food that cannot be otherwise sold can be given to beggars (stationed in all cities) in exchange for karma. More karma is given for higher tier food. This doesn’t allow one to recoup the gold sink that cooking can become, but it’s a far better solution than just destroying entire stacks of food.

Food prices - when?

in Crafting

Posted by: Torvarren.6295

Torvarren.6295

I eat all food I make to fill up my all you can eat achievement