Getting low level rare stuff for crafting?

in Crafting

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Hi,

How do you go about getting enough of them to level your crafting to 75?

I’m talking about the tiny totem, bone chips, tiny scales, and tiny venom sacs.

In my leveling, I’m coming up way short of what I need by the time I reach level 15. Do you buy from the TP, or do you go back and farm things like crazy in the 1-15 zone? I really don’t like buying from the TP, but if they’re fairly cheap, I guess that could be the best approach.

Cheers.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

in Crafting

Posted by: Tijo.9857

Tijo.9857

Several ways to do this:

1/ Farm the mobs that drop them. You’ll notice as you travel that a certain type of mob will have more chances to drop the item you want, And you can stay around and kill them for a while.

2/ Not sure how you level your crafting skills but in many cases the most efficient way is to research / discover new recipes. This does not use quite as many mats as just producing known recipes. so for example armorsmith… you needs 4 rares of each type at first for each piece of corresponding armour you can discover the recipe for, coat, legs, gloves, boots x blood, fang, etc…
Later it goes up to 6.

3/ When all this failed I hit the TP for a top up, usually in small amounts.

in Crafting

Lankybrit.4598

Thanks. I can never remember what to kill to get what though. I guess I need to pay more attention. I’ll check the prices on the TP tonight to see whether buying them will bankrupt me

Cheers.

Updated every Monday

in Crafting

Posted by: Daulnay.4971

Daulnay.4971

TL,DR; The TP is an inefficient market, and you can save significant amounts of silver by finding the inefficient places (guidelines below).

You don’t always need to gather or buy the rare bits in order to do discovery — some players make insignia to level up, and put them on the market at a loss. You can buy those insignia in order to level up (make an offer rather than directly buying). While you won’t usually be able to sell the result at a profit, you will cut your loss. Likewise, you can buy some of the intermediate pieces at a steep discount from their manufacturing cost, saving even more. Those intermediate pieces are usually the ones that cost the least to make ( one leather, a single metal bar) and not the ones that require something from the trainer (anything that uses spools of thread).

in Crafting

Lankybrit.4598

Hey thanks. I didn’t think of trying to actually buy the Insignias off the TP. I’ll compare the rare mat costs to those.

Cheers.

Updated every Monday

in Crafting

Posted by: psirca.9452

psirca.9452

You can try for buying bags too if you like opening things. You won’t know what you will get but they have the chances a lot of times to drop crafting items. That might mean you have to sell what you don’t use but it may recover some cost if you had a lucky streak. Oh, I’m not sure why but I thought oozes seemed to give me lots of crafting materials, if I were to go back, I would hit those oozes like crazy in the Asura homelands.

(edited by psirca.9452)

in Crafting

Posted by: SgtFreakshow.4732

SgtFreakshow.4732

It seems that the game is designed for crafting to be hard, you have to work to keep your crafting skill up to level.

I level 2 characters up simultaneously and I take an extra area on both chars (so 2 level 1-15 areas on each char to completion, 2 level 15-25 etc. etc.) this has made it very easy keeping crafting up to date, however it does make for slower leveling, it would seem that you have to sacrifice leveling speed to keep your crafting up to date.

Also I’ve found centaurs to be fantastic for crafting mats, they always have a high chance of dropping supply bags that grants a wide variety of crafting materials, if you have a surplus of something, sell it and use the money to buy the things you need.